• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Tropics' Mike J. for SSBB

Black/Light

Smash Master
EVIL_Peach18 said:
nah! we need to add Joung Jock!

Meet me in da Brawl! it's goin down!!!

LMAO, his tant could be the dance his does in "It's going down."

But I would have the rapper Mike Jones before the VG Mike Jones. That way he could say the divs phone number so we can call them and rant LOL.

Black/Light

Smash Master
asianpride3491 said:
I believe you are referring to the motorcycle.
I guess so...here in Chicago(westside) we just call it the "It's going down" dance.

...I don't care too much for danceing so the ones that into it mite call it that...the only dance I do is Juken...Hummm juken

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Yeah, those jokes are getting lame XD

Mike would completely pwn Smash Bros., but I wonder if they'd bother. It'd be a nice slap back to Japan for giving us Japan Only characters, though.

Too bad he's a lot like Ness :/

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Actually from the game, he's alot more like Link - infact Star Tropics is sort of a spiritual counterpart to LoZ - basically LoZ in a more modern setting. The only similarity with Ness is his signiture yo-yo from the first game.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Mike Jones ftw. He's the third best Old school character not confirmed yet, after Balloon Fighter and Little Mac.

Zanguzen

Smash Lord
LMAO mike g! i saw mike jones in a topic and saw this and im luvin it lol and if they decide 2 have entrance animations lik back in 64 jocks cud jus b that boys voice "its a nitty beat" lmao i luv this 2 much sorry 4 goin off topic but this was beggin 4 it lol

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Lord_Deathborne said:
Actually from the game, he's alot more like Link - infact Star Tropics is sort of a spiritual counterpart to LoZ - basically LoZ in a more modern setting. The only similarity with Ness is his signiture yo-yo from the first game.
Spiritually, Star Tropics is like Zelda, with platforming elements. Yeah. It even uses Heart Containers and the life bar :p

BUT look at what Mike himself can do. Fight with a yo-yo, baseball bat, throw out psychic shockwaves... It's a little too similar on the surface. Granted, he can also use bolas, swords, magic wands, and basically whatever else you can think of, BUT those are his major weapons. I love Star Tropics to death, though, so I would just die if Mike were in SSBB. But if he is, expect: LOL NESS CLONE :ohwell:

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
FlipTroopa said:
Spiritually, Star Tropics is like Zelda, with platforming elements. Yeah. It even uses Heart Containers and the life bar :p

BUT look at what Mike himself can do. Fight with a yo-yo, baseball bat, throw out psychic shockwaves... It's a little too similar on the surface. Granted, he can also use bolas, swords, magic wands, and basically whatever else you can think of, BUT those are his major weapons. I love Star Tropics to death, though, so I would just die if Mike were in SSBB. But if he is, expect: LOL NESS CLONE :ohwell:
Yeah, I guess I forgot about him being a baseball player, but he was a star pitcher, not a hitter, so he'd probably make more use with a ball than a bat...
But I think you're probably right about a high likelyhood of him being a Ness clone if he makes the cut. But I just think it would make a bit more sense to base him more off of Link as far as use of various game items for B-moves. Perhaps he could incorporate a bit of both? Well, if he does make the cut, I'm sure the development team would pull him off right...

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Lord_Deathborne said:
Yeah, I guess I forgot about him being a baseball player, but he was a star pitcher, not a hitter, so he'd probably make more use with a ball than a bat...
But I think you're probably right about a high likelyhood of him being a Ness clone if he makes the cut. But I just think it would make a bit more sense to base him more off of Link as far as use of various game items for B-moves. Perhaps he could incorporate a bit of both? Well, if he does make the cut, I'm sure the development team would pull him off right...
Without a doubt they'll do him justice :)

Here's a moveset I had considered for the character:

B: Psychic Shockwave -- Charge up for a shot of energy that travels directly forwards from Mike. More powerful as it gets more charged, turning into the Super and then Ultra Psychic Shockwaves. The distance traveled increases as well.

Forward B: Horse Hyde -- Chucks a baseball forwards, with some lag between pitches. He can smash it for a fastball, or hold B to do a windup. During the windup, you can press different directions for various pitches: fades, knuckleballs, curveballs, etc. Each has a different power, speed, and trajectory.

Up B: Jump Anklet -- His ankles flash and Mikes get a huge boost in height. Only knocks people back for a little damage if he hits them while leaping.

Down B: Mirror -- Mike hides behind a mirror, reflecting shots just like Fox's reflector, but only before him.

His A attacks I figured would put more emphasis on the many different items he's used. His main A attacks would be with the yo-yo, but with Tilt+A attacks he'll throw out the mace of even supernova to attack. His forward smash is like Peach's, and is called Time Smash: he'll pull out a baseball bat, axe, katana, excalibur, torch, or a few other items he's snagged over the years. For his other smashes, they're punches/kicks, and his aerial attacks utilize the same. Though his Down Aerial A is the Spiked Cleets, and hence his Meteor Attack. His throws are the usual, but his side throws are followed up with a quick toss of three Astericks. I'm not sure how to incorporate other items he's used too, like the 3-Way Shot, or the sling, or even the bolas. Hmm...

parrothead

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if Nintendo would add Michael Jones in SSBB, because StarTropics was only released in America and Europe, but not in Japan. Zoda's Revenge was only released in America. Same goes to Tin Star (SNES), which was only released in America.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
That's not the code you had to actually put water on the instruction booklet for, is it? I don't think so...

And Star Tropics was developed in-house in Japan. Star Tropics was developed by Nintendo IRD, who were the guys that *ding ding ding* developed Punch-Out, another series deeply trenched in American culture, that has been mentioned on Sakurai's poll, and countless times by Nintendo themselves. I really really doubt one of Nintendo's mid sized development teams could forget a two-game project they made for the NES in the early '90s called Star Tropics.

A little more relieved now? :p

EDIT: IRD was originally known as Nintendo R&D3, and they were the third largest team at NCL for a while. They developed the Punch-Out!! titles, as well as Star Tropics, and did a lot of experimentative arcade games. They later devoted themselves entirely to new hardware, but are one of the major development teams there today. They have not slipped by the wayside, and neither has their work.

EDIT 2: The director and writer of Star Tropics is still with Nintendo, as the Senior Management Director of IRD (Genyo Takeda). The two producers of the game were Hiroshi Yamauchi and NOA's former president Minoru Arakawa. Genyo also produced Dr. Mario 64, interestingly enough, as well as the Punch-Out!! games (he directed the original, but only produced Super)

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
foxandfalco said:
whoa, wait, i think i played this game for the NES. like your main weapon is a yo yo and start off in this weird ware house. you continue your way through different "worlds" or areas such as a dark cave or a snowly like area. and there's a bunch of creatures and wierd "men with suits with guns"

i didnt get that game but it was fun as hell.

i never beat it >.> i was way to young to understand how to pick up a game and finish it even if it was hard. i should play that again
*looks for rom*
Heh, the game you're talking about there is The Goonies 2. StarTropics is a Zelda-ish game with an overhead view.

parrothead

Smash Lord
ON TOPIC: If they translated StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge, they'll have to tell the Japanese that Mike Jones lives somewhere in Japan.

OFF TOPIC:

King9999 said:
Heh, the game you're talking about there is The Goonies 2. StarTropics is a Zelda-ish game with an overhead view.
And did any of you know that Goonies 1 was only released in Japan? Also, another strange NES title called M.U.S.C.L.E., was actually based on the prequel to Ultimate MUSCLE, known as Kinnikuman, which was only aired in Japan and a few other countries.

burrito

Smash Lord
FlipTroopa said:
And Star Tropics was developed in-house in Japan. Star Tropics was developed by Nintendo IRD, who were the guys that *ding ding ding* developed Punch-Out, another series deeply trenched in American culture, that has been mentioned on Sakurai's poll, and countless times by Nintendo themselves. I really really doubt one of Nintendo's mid sized development teams could forget a two-game project they made for the NES in the early '90s called Star Tropics.

A little more relieved now? :p

EDIT: IRD was originally known as Nintendo R&D3, and they were the third largest team at NCL for a while. They developed the Punch-Out!! titles, as well as Star Tropics, and did a lot of experimentative arcade games. They later devoted themselves entirely to new hardware, but are one of the major development teams there today. They have not slipped by the wayside, and neither has their work.

EDIT 2: The director and writer of Star Tropics is still with Nintendo, as the Senior Management Director of IRD (Genyo Takeda). The two producers of the game were Hiroshi Yamauchi and NOA's former president Minoru Arakawa. Genyo also produced Dr. Mario 64, interestingly enough, as well as the Punch-Out!! games (he directed the original, but only produced Super)
That doesn't matter. It's about the characters popularity and/or nostalgic value for the gamers. Why would they include a character that Japan has never heard of?

Edit:
If they translated StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge, they'll have to tell the Japanese that Mike Jones lives somewhere in Japan.
Why?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
burrito said:
That doesn't matter. It's about the characters popularity and/or nostalgic value for the gamers. Why would they include a character that Japan has never heard of?

Edit:
Why?
Why would they include trophies and characters most Americans have never heard of?

burrito

Smash Lord
FlipTroopa said:
Why would they include trophies and characters most Americans have never heard of?
They could include Mike Jones as a trophy I see nothing wrong with that.

About Fire Emblem characters, the Fire Emblem games were very popular in Japan and has a lot of games in its series. Unlike Mike Jones who only has nostalgic value. It wouldn't make sense to include a nostalgic character that only Americans could remember. If you want to include a nostalgic character, everyone should be able to remember him/her

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
burrito said:
They could include Mike Jones as a trophy I see nothing wrong with that.

About Fire Emblem characters, the Fire Emblem games were very popular in Japan and has a lot of games in its series. Unlike Mike Jones who only has nostalgic value. It wouldn't make sense to include a nostalgic character that only Americans could remember. If you want to include a nostalgic character, everyone should be able to remember him/her
But I see it as a balance. We got slammed with Japan-only characters/trophies, it should only be fair to do it back :laugh:

Regardless, Nintendo is a WORLD company, and they have WORLDWIDE fans. They may be from Kyoto, but they can't ignore their fans everywhere else in the world. Mike, or any other non-Japanese characters, would be great additions to make the Japanese just as aware as we became upon seeing Fire Emblem.

Oh, and sorry to bump such an old topic :laugh:

DSB

Smash Apprentice
I'd like him in just to hear the announcer say "MIKE JOOONES"!!! Anyways they could make him different from Ness if they used his other weapons besides the yoyo and bat.

burrito

Smash Lord
FlipTroopa said:
But I see it as a balance. We got slammed with Japan-only characters/trophies, it should only be fair to do it back :laugh:

Regardless, Nintendo is a WORLD company, and they have WORLDWIDE fans. They may be from Kyoto, but they can't ignore their fans everywhere else in the world. Mike, or any other non-Japanese characters, would be great additions to make the Japanese just as aware as we became upon seeing Fire Emblem.

Oh, and sorry to bump such an old topic :laugh:
It isn't quite a balance, though. Marth and Roy were from a long on going popular series. It was a major Nintendo franchise and it was important that they represented it, whether it was Japanese only or not. There were only 2 star tropics games and they were for the Nintendo and I personally doubt they are going to bring the series back. They don't need to balance out Marth and Roy with some obscure American character, I mean we even have the Fire Emblems series now in the US. Nor do they need to make the Japanese aware about some old American NES game that they will probably never see again. Although, I can definitely see there being a trophy.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
burrito said:
It isn't quite a balance, though. Marth and Roy were from a long on going popular series. It was a major Nintendo franchise and it was important that they represented it, whether it was Japanese only or not. There were only 2 star tropics games and they were for the Nintendo and I personally doubt they are going to bring the series back. They don't need to balance out Marth and Roy with some obscure American character, I mean we even have the Fire Emblems series now in the US. Nor do they need to make the Japanese aware about some old American NES game that they will probably never see again. Although, I can definitely see there being a trophy.
It's still a good idea for a fighter :laugh:

parrothead

Smash Lord
Most of the overlooked characters I mentioned (including Mike Jones) probably have low chances at entering SSBB, probably because of these reasons:

• The title(s) they came from didn't sell well enough.
  • The title(s) they came from didn't become popular enough nor became well known.
  • The title(s) they came from probably contain content that would repel gamers from playing it/them: girly, childish, wierd stuff, and/or etc..
  • The title(s) they came from are probably only released for the Famicom Disk Drive, 64 Disk Drive, Broadcast Satellaview, and/or other Japan-Only consoles/add-ons.
  • Many other thoughts I'm too lazy to think of.

If Sakurai said that he is not going to add Japan-Only characters, then why does he have some on his poll?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I just reread that, actually, parrothead. It's more evident he just was making a comment that "wow, we can't do ALL Japan-only characters." He will still include them, but won't fill the game with them.

Much more relaxing news, eh? :p

parrothead

Smash Lord
He'll probably put in few of the most unique ones, like Demiru/Demille, Lip, and Sukapon, and put in the rest of the Japan-Only ones in as trophies.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
No Takamaru? BAH! :grrr:

I am still about 90% convinced he will appear. He has just as good, if not a greater chance, than some other Japan-only character ideas out there.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I'm taking that pic off now...didn't read the thread so didn't know.

burrito

Smash Lord
Marshigio said:
I'm taking that pic off now...didn't read the thread so didn't know.
Oh, well maybe you should read the thread first, next time.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Who? Mike Jooooones. Who? Mike Joooooones.

I don't listen to rap, but the only song I have with him in it is Yin Yang Twin's Badd. The phrase "I'm lookin' for a dime, that's top of the line, cute face thin waist with a big behind" is catchy, chi :p

That is all ^_^

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
What is it going to take to stop these ****ed Mike Jones (the rapper) jokes!?
The topic clearly states Mike Jones from the Star Tropics series - jeez...

To avoid confusion (as well as intentional idiocy) you could refer to Star Tropics' Mike Jones as Mike J. ala C. Falcon for Captain Falcon...

Top Bottom