• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star(ter) Wars

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
Mind you, I'm going by my opinions here rather than actual in-game stats, attacks, or usefulness.

Which gen. had the best starters? 1st, they were the classics and therefore awesome.
Which gen. had the worst? If I could pick a starter from all 12, I definitely wouldn't pick one from the 2nd generation.

Who is the best starter, overall? Between Squirtle and Torchic, but I think Squirtle.
Who is the worst starter, overall? Chikorita. wouldn't pick it in this lifetime.

Who is the best water starter? Squirtle, obviously.
Who is the worst water starter? Piplup. I tried using it once, and by the time I could catch a shellos that knew water pulse, the only water move it knew was bubble.

Who is the best fire starter? Torchic: The first RPG I played was Sapphire, so it was technically my first pokemon.
Who is the worst fire starter? Chimchar. because Blaziken>Infernape.

Who is the best grass starter? Turtwig! It's the only grass type I picked as my starter.
Who is the worst grass starter? Chikorita, because... I mean, what the hell is that thing?

For each generation, my choices are: (first choice, second option, then one I never pick)

Kanto: Squirtle, Charmander, Bulbasaur
Johto: Totodile, Cyndaquil, Chikorita
Hoenn: Torchic, Mudkip, Treecko
Sinnoh: Turtwig, Piplup, Chimchar

I just realized I don't like the grass types much... They're always my last option.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Which gen. had the best starters?
1st gen. Can't beat the classics.

Which gen. had the worst?
4th gen. It only had one starter (Chimchar) that appealed to me. All the others were 2 or 3.

Who is the best starter, overall?
Charmander

Who is the worst starter, overall?
Chikorita

Who is the best water starter?
Squirtle

Who is the worst water starter?
Piplup

Who is the best fire starter?
Charmander

Who is the worst fire starter?
Torchic. Thankfully, it turns into Blaziken.

Who is the best grass starter?
Treecko

Who is the worst grass starter?
Chikorita

Answers in teh blue.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Which gen. had the best starters? 3rd. 1st and 4th were great too though, so this is tough
Which gen. had the worst? 2nd. my friend is a 2nd gen. lover, but I personally think everything about the 2nd gen was just weird.

Who is the best starter, overall? Mudkip
Who is the worst starter, overall? Chimchar

Who is the best water starter? Mudkip. I love Piplup and Prinplup, but not so big on empolion.
Who is the worst water starter? Totodile

Who is the best fire starter? Charmander. I don't like the fire/fighting persaonally, or any mixed attackers really.
Who is the worst fire starter? chimchar. I'm really not big on fire types period, but I must admit Char's cuteness

Who is the best grass starter? bulbasaur. I like Turtwig a lot too, but bulbasaur FTW
Who is the worst grass starter? Chikorita

EDIT: for starters, and for pretty much all other pokemon, my order would be 3rd, 1st, 4th, 2nd. hopefully 5th will be good.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
2nd. Chikorita (more like Meganium) may have been ****ing weird, but this was the only gen to have all pure typing. That alone makes it amazing. Oh, and Cyndaquil. <3

1st. Not because they were bad and I hated them or whatevs, but because all of them were just meh in my book. The Charmander line is horribly overrated, the Squirtle line is alright, but the other gens basically beat it out, and although I do like the Bulbasaur line, I don't pay much attention to the grass starters anyway.

Cyndaquil. Every form looked good, and it can still kick *** in its own right. Plus, it's one of my favorite Pokemon. :)

Chikorita. Like I already said, it's just ****ing weird.

Mudkip. No meme included, this thing was just amazing to me when I first played through Sapphire. Plus, it's cute as just a Mudkip. Any Pokemon that can do that gets bonus points from me.

Squirtle. Like I said above; it's good, but it's outshined by all the others, imo.

Cyndaquil. Duh.

Chimchar. I seem to have this thing about me where the monkeys in the Pokemon games make me want to punch people in the face. I don't know why, but they do. Plus...the idea of a flaming monkey scares the **** out of me as it is. Also, the use of it as a monkey that eventually becomes a fighting-type is unoriginal to me, thanks to Mankey and Primeape. ...I just have a lot of reasons to not like this guy (I'm not even listing them all here...maybe I'll make a list of them someday though.). If it weren't for being somewhat useful competitively, this thing would have even beat out Chikorita (who I only really dislike for one big reason, but this one reason is actually enough for me...I don't understand it as a Pokemon. :\ ) for worst starter ever.

Bulbasaur. It's the only grass starter I bothered beating the game with, and I just simply always liked it. Not much more to say.

Chikorita.

peregrine monkey

Smash Apprentice
Which gen. had the best starters? 3rd
Which gen. had the worst? 4th

Who is the best starter, overall? Torchic
Who is the worst starter, overall? Pikachu, if that counts. It is technically a starter.

Who is the best water starter? Totodile
Who is the worst water starter? Mudkip

Who is the best fire starter? Torchic
Who is the worst fire starter? Chimchar

Who is the best grass starter? Treecko
Who is the worst grass starter? Turtwig

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Generation 1
Generation 3

Ivysaur (Bulbasaur if you're only counting first forms)
Torchic

Squirtle
Piplup

Cyndaquil
Torchic

Bulbasaur
Turtwig

I know I don't like more 4th gen starters, but they had decent evolutions, and I was only counting their first stages XD. Mudkip and Treecko were the only gen 3 starter forms I liked, and possibly Sceptile.

D

Deleted member

Empoleon. It's both a freaking penguin(+points in my book) and probably the best water type pokemon in the game.
I'm going to ask you to justify this. I'm guessing that you know something that I don't.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Sub+Agility+Petaya Berry+Torrent+Second Highest non-uber water SpAtk=Better than Infernape.

Also manages to fill more roles than any other starter be it wall, support, special sweeper, PHYSICAL SWEEPER(does anyone else remember SD Aqua Jet Empoleon?) Empoleon is just straight up better than the other starters.

D

Deleted member

meh, I just like Swampert too much. And Typhlosion. And Infernape.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Sub+Agility+Petaya Berry+Torrent+Second Highest non-uber water SpAtk=Better than Infernape.

Also manages to fill more roles than any other starter be it wall, support, special sweeper, PHYSICAL SWEEPER(does anyone else remember SD Aqua Jet Empoleon?) Empoleon is just straight up better than the other starters.
Milotic and Omastar have more. plus, vaporean is only one point below. I'll argue that with you later: I still think Swampert is better (and milotic too).

EDIT: and Gorebyss has more SpAtk too

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Milotic has base 100 special attack, that's not more than empoleon's base 111. I forgot about Gorebyss, Omastar was the one I was referring to as the higher special attack stat.

Milotic is only good at one thing, special walling. It can attack but there's far too many other pokemon that do it much better......like empoleon. Again, apologies for forgetting Gorebyss.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Ehhh....

This thread caught fire while I was gone. :|

Sorry but I must take down the results section due to loss of time.

Sorry everyone! But keep the discussion going!

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Milotic has base 100 special attack, that's not more than empoleon's base 111. I forgot about Gorebyss, Omastar was the one I was referring to as the higher special attack stat.

Milotic is only good at one thing, special walling. It can attack but there's far too many other pokemon that do it much better......like empoleon. Again, apologies for forgetting Gorebyss.
I also appologize, I mixed milotic's spD with spAtk.

One problem i find with Empoleon is he can do a lot of things well, but can't do anything, besides maybe special walling, as well as Swampert and other OU pokemon. Empoleon also just isn't bulky enough and doesn't have a great movepool. his resistances are good, but unfortunately has weaknesses to the three most common attack types, ground (EQ), fighting, and electric. He's also bad against common water types like tentacruel, vaporeon, swampert (assuming the set doesn't have Grass Knot), and lanturn.

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
The 1st gen. Charizard and Blastoise are win, and even with the grass types that come after him, Venusaur is win.
The 2nd gen. Typhlosion is a worthy successor to Charizard and even if it took him until the 4th gen to do it, Feraligatr isn't bad anymore. Meganium I like as a pokemon, but design wise it's not that great.

Tie between Typhlosion and Blastoise for me.
Meganium.

Blastoise
Swampert

Typhlosion
Infernape

Torterra
Meganium

POKE40

Smash Lord
...1st or 3rd D:
2nd
Charamander
Chikorita. I didn't feel like training a grass giraffe pokemon was going to make me happy

MUDKIPPPPPzzzz
[COLOR="rgb(0, 255, 255)" ]>:( [/COLOR]
[COLOR="rgb(0, 255, 255)"]Charmander [/COLOR]
chimchar

turtwig
chikorita

freakn codes messed up my long writting

SSBB4all

Smash Apprentice
I HAVE SUCH GOOD IDEAS FOR THE NEXT GEN STARTERS!

For some reason, every fire starter has been the attack-heavy one of the 3. We haven't had a defensive fire starter at all. We also haven't had a speedy/attack-heavy water starter either.

For the next generation, they should make the water type the powerful/speedy/low defensive one and the fire type the slower/defensive one. The idea of having a defensive fire type with good fire type moves such as Flamethrower sounds pretty awesome to me. That would be a nice change for sure, cause I'm tired of the fire types always being the best attackers.

The grass types have had a little bit of everything though, except for unique second types. Fire had fighting with Blazaken (excuse my spelling) and flying with Charizard, while Water has had both ground and steel (a steel and water Pokemon? lolwut?). For the next gen, I would like to see the grass starter have a cool new second type that is not poison (too common for grass types) or ground. Imagine some kind of grass starter that eventually evolved into a grass/dark type? Having a grass/flying type would also be very cool if they could pull it off somehow.

I should start a new thread with this...

ARE MY IDEAS GREAT OR WHAT?

WouW

Smash Lord
The reason that Fire is always offensively orientated is because fire is destructive. Therefore it wouldn't make sense if Fire were to be defense-oriented.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Which gen. had the best starters? 2nd
Which gen. had the worst? 4th

Who is the best starter, overall? Cyndaquil
Who is the worst starter, overall? Turtwig

Who is the best water starter? Mudkip

Who is the best fire starter? Cyndaquil, obviously.
Who is the worst fire starter? Torchic

Who is the best grass starter? Bulbasaur
Who is the worst grass starter? Turtwig

I dunno, all generations have some good elements. Mudkip is the only thing saving 3rd, though.

SSBB4all

Smash Apprentice
The reason that Fire is always offensively orientated is because fire is destructive. Therefore it wouldn't make sense if Fire were to be defense-oriented.
Well that's not necessarily true for ALL fire types.

Look at Torkoal or even Macargo if you ignore it's secondary Rock type. Both have decently high defenses, and slow speed.

I guess I'm the only one who would like to see a defensive fire type starter? :confused:

WouW

Smash Lord
Torkoal and Magcargo are based on slower species of animals so therefore they are slow. Also, they still have decent attacking stat - they have 85 and 80 SpA, respectively.

Also, they've only got high defensive stats because Torkoal has a shell, and Magcargo has a rock on its back.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They could make it a rock/ fire type to make it a defensive fire starter...

But personally, I only pick the first starter because of it's offensive nature.

SSBB4all

Smash Apprentice
Torkoal and Magcargo are based on slower species of animals so therefore they are slow. Also, they still have decent attacking stat - they have 85 and 80 SpA, respectively.

Also, they've only got high defensive stats because Torkoal has a shell, and Magcargo has a rock on its back.
I'm sure they would be able to come up with some kind of animal that would be seen as defensive for a fire type.

The turtle thing is getting old though, so they would have to get pretty creative tbh.

How about some kind of hedgehog or armadillo? :confused:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
There needs to be a Fire starter who grows into a Fire/Grass type with a very defensive stat spread. Fire/Grass is an extremely good defensive typing believe it or not.
Err... But then we would have 2 grass starters, which would be a little odd.

I think SSBB4all has a good point. Why not change up the starters a little next time?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Even it out by having a fire/grass, a Grass/Water, and a Water/fire

pokemondude

Smash Rookie
Which gen. had the best starters? 4th
Which gen. had the worst? 2nd

Who is the best starter, overall? Piplup
Who is the worst starter, overall? Turtwig

Who is the best water starter? Piplup

Who is the best fire starter? Charmander
Who is the worst fire starter? Chimchar

Who is the best grass starter? Treecko
Who is the worst grass starter? Chikorita

Blackroserade66

Smash Cadet
Which gen. had the best starters? Jhoto owns!!!
Which gen. had the worst? Sinnoh. **** you Infernape!!!!

Who is the best starter, overall? (Bulbasaur)
Who is the worst starter, overall? (Chimchar)

Who is the best water starter? (Squirtle. Its just so darn adorable in SSBB!!)
Who is the worst water starter? (Totodile)

Who is the best fire starter? (Cyndiquil)
Who is the worst fire starter? (Chimchar.)

Who is the best grass starter? (Bulbasaur)
Who is the worst grass starter? (Turtwig)

Infernape needs a good kick in the balls, right in the testicles, the source of its commy powers, hmm.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Which gen. had the best starters? (1st) The first gen. had 4 starters, or did we all forget that!
Which gen. had the worst? (2nd)

Who is the best starter, overall? (Pikachu) :)
Who is the worst starter, overall? (Chimchar)

Who is the best water starter? (Mudkip)
Who is the worst water starter? (Totodile)

Who is the best fire starter? (Charmander)
Who is the worst fire starter? (Chimchar)

Who is the best grass starter? (Treecko)
Who is the worst grass starter? (Chikorita)

ZYPHR

Smash Cadet
i think the best starter is piplup because when it evolves, empoleon are water/steel, thats awesome! the worst has to be chicorita because meganium are just bad.:chuckle::dizzy::laugh:

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
hmmmmm this ones hard

best generation: 1st with 3rd close behind
worst generation: 2nd

best water starter: squirtle or totedile i cant decide
worst starter: piplup

best fire starter: charmander with chimchar close behind
worst fire starter: torchick oh god it looks so indeffensless

best grass starter: bulbasaur
worst grass starter: chickorita

best grass evolutionary line: sceptile
worst grass evolutionary line: mega...whatever the one that has chickorita

best water evolutionary line: swampert
worst evolutionary line: ferraligator (though i like totedile)

best fire evolutionary line: blazekin( i only hate torchick)
worst fire evolutionary line: typhlosion

so best starter overall(my opinion):squirtle or chimchar
worst starter overall(again my opinion): chickorita

so yeah dont like my opinions i dont care. but still i dont mean to be harsh

Charizard92

Smash Champion
All of this is strategy wise:

Best generation: 3rd
Reason: Sceptile and Swampert are (from a strategic standpoint) among the best of the starters of their respective types. They both have good typing, stats (individually and combined), and a good move pool (learned or with TMs and such). Blaziken is the inverse, being possibly the worst (not that it's bad, just that the other three are much better)

Worst gen: 1st
Reason: Venasaur and Blastoise are practical inverse of the third, being probably the worst. Charizard, is also inversed, and while Venasaur and Blastoise are at the bottom, Charizard is at the top (think, Ground immunity, and fighting resistance makes it tough against among the two most common offensive moves. Too bad Rock is in the same list...)

If you are wondering, I read an Article (I can't seem to find the magazine) comparing the 4 generations against each other. They determined this by 5 categories, type advantage (resistance = -1, everyting else is by weaknesses), individual stats, total stats, learned movepool (2 for attacks, 1 for non-attacks), and complete movepool (Same thing). Scpetile and Torterra were close, Then Meganium and finally Venasaur. I did the remaining calculations myself (in order of best to worst: Fire: Charizard, Typhlosion Infernape tie, Blaziken. Water: Swampert, Feraligator, Empoleon, Blastoise). You can decide for yourself (this is shown by the fact that Charizard is below Standard [last time I checked]), but this is with my and their math.

Best Fire: Charizard (Woot)
Worst: Blaziken

Best Water: Swampert
Worst: Blastoise

Best Grass: Sceptile
Worst: Venasaur

Best overall: Charizard (bias)

sammy p

Smash Lord
best gen. starters: 1st(very close between 1&3)
worst gen. starters: 2nd

best starter overall: torchic
worst starter overall: chicorita

best water starter: squirtle
worst water starter: mudkip (REEEAAALL close between ALL 4... loved them all)

best fire starter: torchic
worst fire starter: cyndaquil(once again.... REALL close between all 4

best grass starter: turtwig
worst grass strater: chicorita

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
In my opinion....

Which gen. had the best starters? (2nd)
Which gen. had the worst? (Eh...i don't really hate any of them, but....4th)

Who is the best starter, overall? (Cyndaquil. It grows into an awesome Typhlosion.)
Who is the worst starter, overall? (Chimchar. I don't know...Maybe it's because we don't need another fire/fighting IMO)

Who is the best water starter? (Totodile)
Who is the worst water starter? (Ehh...Piplup)

Who is the best fire starter? (Cyndaquil =P)
Who is the worst fire starter? (Chimchar)

Who is the best grass starter? (Treecko)
Who is the worst grass starter? (Chikorita, though i still like him/her)

D13

Smash Ace
Cool thread thread idea.

Which gen. had the best starters? 3rd. I love them all.
Which gen. had the worst? 4th, I guess.

Who is the best starter, overall? Mudkip, because I <3 Swampert.
Who is the worst starter, overall? Chikorita.

Who is the best water starter? Swampert.
Who is the worst water starter? Piplup.

Who is the best fire starter? Blaziken. :]
Who is the worst fire starter? I'm going to have to say Charmander. :[

Who is the best grass starter? Venusaur, followed closely by Sceptile.
Who is the worst grass starter? Chikorita.

codfish92

Smash Ace
Denver Colorado: wishing it was never summer.
had best starters: 1st gen
had worst starters:3rd gen
who is best starter overall: Charmander cuz he becomes a super sexy and awesome charizard
who is the worst starter: torchic cuz i just hate Blazakin

who is best water starter: squirtle
who is worst: piplup cuz it gets a steel type in it's last evolution which makes it super weak to grass and makes fire do normal damage to it

who is best fire starter: Charizard(charmander)
who is worst fire starter: blazikin(torchic) i just don't like blaziken(i hate him(in vader skywaker voice in third movie))

who is best grass starter: treecko cuz that lizard looks cool
who is worst grass starter: turtwig cuz for me he is a critical hit magnate

and d13,
i heard you like mudkip. so good.

Mikey Free

Smash Rookie
had best starters: 1st gen
had worst starters: there are only like one or two i hate from each gen.
who is best starter overall: Infernape FTW
who is the worst starter: chikorita....dear lord do i hate that thing

who is best water starter: Swampert
who is worst: at the time..it was probably feraligatr..just because of his high attack and lack of physical water moves.

who is best fire starter: Ape dude!
who is worst fire starter: blaziken...baton pass is nice....but ape is just light years better.

who is best grass starter: Venusaur!
who is worst grass starter: ****ing chikorita...

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Zrky you should die. Gen 1 ***** you.

I'm going to focus mostly on the third evolution, cuz doing all 9 takes too long.

RBY
Charmander-Charmeleon-Charizard
Squirtle-Wartortle-Blastoise
Bulbasaur-Ivysaur-Venusaur

The generation with the best looking Pokemon also has the best looking starters. These three take an enormous dump on all the other starters. Hell, Charizard and Blastoise alone take a dump on most Pokemon period. And Squirtle, Bulba and Charmander are just legendary. GOD I LOVE THIS GEN.

Also:

GSC
Cyndaquil-Quilava-Typhlosion
Totodile-Croconaw-Feraligatr
Chikorita-Bayleaf-Meganium

I love this generation, and the starters are cool too. Typhlosion is awesome, Feraligatr is cool, but Meganium is a *****. Seriously, it looks so soft lol. But nothing could follow up gen 1. I like Totodile and Chikorita more than their final evos.

RSE
Torchic-Combusken-Blaziken
Mudkip-Marshtomp-Swampert
Treecko-Grovyle-Sceptile

UGH, WHAT A CRAP GENERATION. When Sugimori stopped doing the character designs, everything started to fail a little more in the Pokeworld. Blaziken is okay, but the other two are just ugly as ****. Treecko is ugly, Mudkip is a horrible meme and a horrible Pokemon.

DDP
Chimchar-Monferno-Infernape
Piplup-Prinplup-Empoleon
Turtwig-Grotle-Torterra

After the garbage that was gen 3, anything coming out afterwards would be better. And I gotta say, that is definitely the case here. I think all the third evos here are pretty cool, a first since gen 1 for me. Also, Piplup is cool. I don't know why, but he is.

Which gen. had the best starters? (1ST BY FAR)
Which gen. had the worst? (3RD OH GOD)

Who is the best starter, overall? (CHARMANDER AND SQUIRTLE ARE WAY TOO GOOD)
Who is the worst starter, overall? (MUDKIP probably just because of that stupid meme)

Who is the best water starter? (SQUIRTLE OMFG SOO GOOD)
Who is the worst water starter? (MUDKIP EWW)

Who is the best fire starter? (CHARRRRRMANDER)
Who is the worst fire starter? (Torchic. What a little crap.)

Who is the best grass starter? (Bulbasaur)
Who is the worst grass starter? (Probably Turtwig, I don't like it's face. But grass overall are not bad, but not great)

Top Bottom