• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

stages you hate in Sm4sh

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
Balloon Fight: This stage actually is bad, and here's why: The layout is less like solid ground on the edges with water and platforms in the middle, and more like having a main platform with a blast line straight down the middle, along with water and platforms at the edges. The platforms are too small to really fight on and the pseudo-random placement certainly doesn't help that, so all the fighting takes place on the ground either side of the "central" blast line.

Magicant: Flying Man always spawns in the exact same location, so you know exactly where you have to play King of the Hill with. I certainly think Flying Man could use a nerf so that he can't easily kill your foe all by himself, though. With Flying Man nerfed (not nonexistent, just nerfed) I think it could be a viable competitive stage.

Jungle Hijinx: Really not designed for a 1v1 environment. What makes the stage even less fun though is the cannons frequently leaving just as you try to get in them, or the massive stone murals that show up out of nowhere just in time to block you when you use a cannon. If they gave more warning before appearing, they might be able to be incorporated into a coherent gameplan, but instead they just show up out of nowhere to block you.

Pyrosphere: Ridley's attacks are relatively easy to avoid if you're smart about it, at least until he turns into Meta Ridley. Plus, there's plenty of stage around him to fight on even as you avoid his attacks.

Wily Castle: Far worse than Pyrosphere, simply because the Yellow Devil takes up the entire freakin' stage, and you can't keep fighting your foe while fighting him.
You bring up a very good point with Magicant. Personally, I'd like to see a fair king of the hill-type map. However, even with a Flying Man nerf, I'd feel it wouldn't be competitively viable, due to his (correct me if I'm wrong) random movements. But I suppose with the right changes, anything can happen.

And yes, Ridley's patterns are not overly complicated, but I'd still rather be fighting on a regular Pyrosphere than have Ridley forced down my throat due to no option to keep him from appearing (not implying he's shoehorned in). Ridley's fine on Pyrosphere, but it's mainly for modes outside of the regular battles, such as Classic. And yes, Yellow Devil is the slayer of this stage. Shame, I'd love for Wily Castle to be a counterpick competitive stage.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I dislike Kalos Pokemon league because the normal version is too gimmicky and the omega version has vertical walls that for whatever reason you can't wall jump off (I actually lost a match for that reason).

Last edited:

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Mute City and Rainbow Road are responsible for the most "Whoops! Goddammit." stage death moments for me.

Kitsunebi

Smash Rookie
NNID
TenebrousFox
Pilotwings, even on Omega. I don't really like the music or the setting at all. And I always seem to SD there by somehow getting trapped under the stage... it's my bad luck stage. ):

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
The Great Cave Offensive. I honestly have no clue how the lava thing works or why it was even put there. Or why this stage was even created. Nice idea to add this stage, but in the end it's just really bad.

I used to love Jungle Japes, but now the water sweeps your character away so fast there's no time to jump back to the stage.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
The Great Cave Offensive. I honestly have no clue how the lava thing works or why it was even put there. Or why this stage was even created. Nice idea to add this stage, but in the end it's just really bad.

I used to love Jungle Japes, but now the water sweeps your character away so fast there's no time to jump back to the stage.
The lava damages until 100% but if you touch it while at or above 100% it takes your stock. I like that level as a chaotic 8 player map.

I miss jungle japes... (Only have Wii U version)

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
The courses that have stage hazards.
Not failing to note the new Mario Kart stage. I was quite content with the Brawl stage.

Oh, and Orbital Gate Assault.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I hate nearly every stage. They're all moving or transforming or have hazards that kill you faster than the actual fighters can. I want to play Smash Bros, not Mr Sakurai's Wild Ride.

Out of all the gimmick stages, the few I do like are Gamer (it's a fun gimmick and enjoyably tense except when it's in All-Star mode) and Great Cave Offensive and Palutena's Temple SOLELY FOR 8 PLAYER AMIIBO battles.

IKEMUTULI

Smash Rookie
NNID
CodeNameDexter
75m (The Springs...)
Pac-Land (No, You Can't Move The Stage For Me, Stage.)
Pyrosphere (I Don't Like Bosses In Stages...)
Wily Castle (Same Reason As Pyrosphere, But Gaur Plain Metal Face Is An Exception)

WishOn

Smash Cadet
NNID
WishOn
3DS FC
4828-5426-2919
I'll do any other stage, but I just can't stand huge stages like Patutena's Temple or Great Cave Offensive. I just hate when my opponent runs away from me for the whole match and I can't do anything about it.

Morbi

Scavenger
Battlefield is my least favorite stage in the game to be honest. There are a lot of bad stages, but at least they are occasionally fun. Battlefield on the other hand? Nah.

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
Screw it; sorry OP, gonna bring up returning stages in this one, because boy, do I have a lot to say.

First, I think Great Cave Offensive and Palutena's Temple are fine, because maybe they're not the most optimal stages to have serious matches due to their massive size, I'm okay with a batch of stages that are polar opposites of tight, focused stages like Battlefield, Kongo Jungle 64, etc.

Town & City/Smashville
Cool, Town & City has a different layout than Smashville. Still the same concept. The original Smashville doesn't even look all that much better, so it's so awkward playing on Town & City, then immediately playing on Smashville when some of the same characters from the previous stage are lower quality! Why are both in this game? I'm all for more legal stages, but wow, one of those layouts could have had a different aesthetic from a different game. At least Wuhu Island and Pilotwings are somewhat different, because they're at least from different games... and those stages literally cross over!

Pac-Land
I too will join the party that insists that when I played Smash 4 Wii U with several buddies, no one enjoyed Pac-Land. There's a pattern here. There's a truth to this.

Port Town Aero Dive
Screw off, this isn't the damn new HD F-Zero stage I was looking for. Oh my God, that skybox is so outdated; even in Brawl I was always groaning "ohhh my goodness that is not great at all" and then, wow, once again, reused assets from a racing game from 200... what? 2004? 2005? F-Zero GX as a racer holds well together to this day, but grabbing said game's assets and placing them into a game years later, then into another game even more years later is disgusting! Port Town itself isn't necessarily a bad stage, but it's visually disgusting, as well as symbolic of how well represented F-Zero is in the Nintendo pantheon.

Mario Circuit (the new one that's ripped from Mario Kart 8)
We already have Mario Circuit. Why did we need another one? Was making two of the same concept of a stage (Town & City, Smashville) not enough? We had to do it again?

Not only is this the same layout concept as Port Town Aero Dive, it's also a racetrack from Mario Kart 8 that isn't really all that exciting. We couldn't get our own Rainbow Road? If you wanted to rip a track from Mario Kart 8, what's wrong with that game's Rainbow Road? What about Bowser's Castle? Can Bowser have his own stage for once?

Also, playing on this stage actually sucks, like I really hate this stage so much.

Wuhu Island
It's not a Wave Race stage.

Pokemon Stadium 2
As someone said before, you couldn't combine Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 together, but you combine Flat Zones together? Get out.

and of course, they picked the inferior one.

I LOVE CONVEYOR BELTS THAT TOSS ME OVER THE SIDES

LIVERPOOP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MartinSkrtel37
3DS FC
0130-1906-5039
any of the stages where it randomly has a platform ascend into the air and if you don't get on it you just die down below

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
People hating on Great Cave Offensive.....

I think its one of the best stages there are in the game. Yes, the camera does need to zoom in a bit more but the stage is much more accommodating than a lot of the regulars.

I'd have to add Yoshi's Story from Melee to the list. It was great for Melee, it was nice Sakurai thought of us, but this stage really cannot handle such intensity.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Pac Man's stage. Guys I didn't even bother unlocking that lame stage because the graphics look plain, and the music doesn't get me hyped about the match I'm in. Even on Omega it's terrible. I only seen the stage on "For Glory" because sometimes you're forced to fight on it.

I also don't like Dunk Hunt Dogs stage. Background stinks. Music stinks. The character is a WTF character.

Velmonte

Smash Cadet
NNID
Velmonte
Skyworld has got to be the most downright annoying stage in existence. Screw that place haha.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I don't have the Wii U version, but I did play Brawl, and 75m just has so many flaws holding it back. Many of the Brawl stages in general were notorious for their gimmicks, but 75m is definitely one of the worst.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I love Gaur Plain but I really hate Metal Face's appearance in the stage

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I hate the fact there is no Corneria
[sarcasm] but that is from a hand held game!!! And it is of utmost importance that stages inspired by handheld games are exclusivly on the handheld system!!! [/scarcasim]

Complete agreement... the loss of a favorite level knowing it still exists for others sucks. (I don't own a 3ds, nor do I have the money for one, and this whole adulthood thing makes gaming while out and about much less possible).

Consoles should have gotten Corneria, Guredo Valley, Jungle Japes and a few others... those games were console 1st, became big there, and deserve their representation on the Wii U.

I'd like to see a "3ds stage bundle" for the Wii U, (and if they did that in reverse for the 3ds that would be cool for owners of that system)...

Probably won't happen soon... but there will come a point where the need to differentiate between the 2 to make both sell won't outweigh the money made from people wanting everything.

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Halberd. Why is this stage legal with all the hazards? My area just started taking it off tourney stage list, thankfully.

Delfino. I find the crazy low ceiling during some of the transitions stupid gimmicky and too favorable to characters who kill well off the top. I was playing Dedede and got knocked out of bracket in my first tourney on set game 3 because I died at like 50% off the top during a transistion. So dumb.

Omegas. I just don't understand why we need a flat version of every stage. It's just repetitive and the differences are too minor. We should have FD and that's it. I also get mad because it's all you ever get to play on on for glory.

Last edited:

CleanOgre

Smash Cadet
NNID
CleanOgre
75m is my least favorite stage. Ladders get in the way of a fight, springs interrupts everyone on the top of the stage, and nearly the entire stage is small platforms.

Last edited:

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Any stage thats bigger then temple, has a boss, or a major hazard (exception if the hazard is actually fun).

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
My most hated stages:

3DS: Mute City.
Hazardous floor, awkwardly shaped moving platforms, and the occasional UFO are very inconvenient and make this stage more luck-based than anything.
Wii U: Kalos Pokemon League. Stage hazards that are too quick to react to and vertical walls that for whatever reason you can't wall jump off, at least in the omega form, which has led to me losing matches way too many times. (I also hate giant stages and stages with bosses, but those have been talked about to death.)
Both: Flat Zone 2. The blast zones are WAY too small. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
75m: There's nowhere to stand next to someone. Some of the platforms are hard; some aren't. Ladders interrupt aerials. The springs.
Orbital Gate Assault: You're standing, and then you're exploding, and then you're falling. Will you land on a surface or just keep going? Who knows
Port Town Aero Drive: I have died so many times on this stage from both the walls and the racers. Absolute misery.
Flat Zone X: There are so many hazards, and the music is annoying.

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
Wily Castle would be amazing if the yellow devil wasn't a part of it. I'd even be ok with it just showing less frequently than every 30 seconds.

Castle Siege annoys me due to the statues getting in the way of projectiles. Lylat cruise for the same reason, but due to the tilt.

Pac Land, 75m, OGA and Pilot Wings are horrid.

Zelduh!

Smash Cadet
The Donkey Kong series has the worst luck when it comes to stages, Rumble Falls, 75m, Jungle Hijinks and Jungle Japes were all terrible stages. The only one I actually thought was ok is Kongo Jungle. Sakurai seems too really dislikes this series.

Top Bottom