• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stages by splat

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Looks great. You might also wanna take your Bowser's Castle and optimize it, then test it with four Mewtwos or four Zeldas.

Mewtwo2000 also has a great tutorial for shadows, give it a read.

Last edited:

splat

Smash Lord
I'd post on KCMM or ask Mewtwo2000, since he typically knows all things stage related
Yeah, I did ask in the thread Xenozoa linked, but I figured that I might as well ask here, in case anyone would know how to fix it.

Don't really feel like dropping in on Mewtwo2000 like that, I guess he's busy enough already without me bugging him.

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Yeah, I did ask in the thread Xenozoa linked, but I figured that I might as well ask here, in case anyone would know how to fix it.

Don't really feel like dropping in on Mewtwo2000 like that, I guess he's busy enough already without me bugging him.
I'm sure he'd be happy to help someone like you, especially since you help people in the PM community a lot.

splat

Smash Lord
For ****s sake, no matter what I do it all ends up looking ****ed. Updated to BB v0.71 in the mean time, perhaps that's causing it.

Got a suggestion from Eternal Yoshi (replacing the materials from an old model) which froze my game.
Grabbed an old version and optimized the objects, same distorted result.
Ever since, every little edit I do to one of my old version has the same effect.

I'll give it a couple of days before I continue working on it, I'm done now.

500YearOldGrandpa

Smash Cadet
BrawlBox is weird, man. I've spent forever trying to fix simple **** and just getting nothing but messed up garbage in game, then after spending the whole time thinking I was just a dingus and doing it wrong, I find out it works perfectly when I do the exact same thing on the same version of BrawlBox on a different computer. No need getting burnt out on it. Maybe you could put the file up somewhere and see if someone else might have more luck?

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
So yeah, just tried to optimize Bowser's Castle. Previewing a MDL0 prompted a few error screens to fix the three platforms and their objects "have facepoint descriptors that don't match their linked nodes", but it didn't crash BrawlBox nor cause any harmful side effects. Then I optimized just the main platform and set the cache size to 30 instead of 52, and got a 37% facepoint decrease, from 10,941 to only 6889. Tested in-game, 4 Mewtwos cause no noticeable lag, however 4 Zeldas causes just a tiny little bit of lag. Should try and optimize the SSE background too.

Edit: Just optimized the SSE background as well, 4 Zeldas with no noticeable lag... wow.

Gonna PM you the fixed stage so you can make any final tweaks to it, like adding the old axe and Podoboo models you wanted to add a long time ago.

Last edited:

Rage83

Smash Ace
EDIT: It's about 2 hours long. XD
hey splat. I'm trying to put together a BRSTM of EVERY BOWSER THEME EVER atm, for your Bowser's Castle stage. :p

Last edited:

S£NPAI

Smash Apprentice
anyone know where i can get a .rel file for rainbow cruise, I want to keep peach's castle. Or if someone knows how to move peachs castle to rainbow cruise that would be awesome as well!

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Take the st_kart.rel that P:M uses and convert it to Rainbow Cruise with Bero's stage switcher.

Also here's the progress I've made so far with revamping Bowser's castle by fixing the background and optimizing the models and materials.

S£NPAI

Smash Apprentice
Ah really its that simple xD i had tried stage switching like this before but messed it up somehow, and never attempted it again lol thanks for the quick and helpful response!

S£NPAI

Smash Apprentice
Any idea as to why bowsers castle would be freezing, the peachs castle .rel swap over to rainbow cruise worked fine, but when i click on bowsers castle it freezes.

JB_G.O.A.T.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-6358-2520
hey splat have u thought of doing a bowsers castle motif over the existing draculas castle in project m. like the same size,collision detection, and moving platforms as the normal draculas, just with the bowsers castle skin and background over it?

Edit: same question for u too xenozoa, i think it would fit in more with a smash game than draculas castle does

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
I want to try some of this stage creating/editing but I don't even know how to start
It's not that I want to compete with you guys or something like that, I just want to have some fun with new stages that I have in mind
What software do you use to create or edit them?
Where do you get the textures?
I've downloaded BrawlBox 0.71 if that serves for anything

I'd appreciate your help

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Brawlbox, 3ds max, and general Brawlbox/3ds max knowledge are basically all you need to get started.
hey splat have u thought of doing a bowsers castle motif over the existing draculas castle in project m. like the same size,collision detection, and moving platforms as the normal draculas, just with the bowsers castle skin and background over it?

Edit: same question for u too xenozoa, i think it would fit in more with a smash game than draculas castle does
It's entirely possible, Mewtwo2000 did a background swap for it with Luigi's Mansion, which is awesome.

I probably wouldn't do it myself though, I have lots of other ideas and things to do. You're more than welcome to try it though, doing a background and texture swap is very easy, all you need is Brawlbox.

JB_G.O.A.T.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-6358-2520
Brawlbox, 3ds max, and general Brawlbox/3ds max knowledge are basically all you need to get started.

It's entirely possible, Mewtwo2000 did a background swap for it with Luigi's Mansion, which is awesome.

I probably wouldn't do it myself though, I have lots of other ideas and things to do. You're more than welcome to try it though, doing a background and texture swap is very easy, all you need is Brawlbox.
alright ill give it a try and see if i can get it working been wanting to get into modding anyway, might as well start

splat

Smash Lord

I decided to re-do the model I made for my Golden Temple stage, started texturing it. The last version just wasn't that good, really.
I thought I'd be clever to make all the golden parts one texture, so that it'd be easier to implement a shiny effect. 3DS Max gives me an error now when I went and tested exporting to OBJ - said something like five texture coordinates being out of range; Brawlbox crashed after importing. This source states that a texture cannot repeat more than 32 times or it gives said error (can anyone confirm? Can't really find what else it could be...), which means I can re-do the thing again. Lesson learned. Should look into UVW-unwrapping, I guess.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Just wanted to pop in really quick and say that the new and updated Bowser's Castle is nearly done, just a few small things left to take care of.

Oh, and it's 100% lag free, even with 4 Zeldas.

Xcite

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to pop in really quick and say that the new and updated Bowser's Castle is nearly done, just a few small things left to take care of.

Oh, and it's 100% lag free, even with 4 Zeldas.
Dude that's awesome. Will you be uploading it here, or on your own thread?

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Would you prefer to host the files yourself? It is your stage after all, I'm just fixing it mostly haha.

If you're fine with me hosting the files then I'd be glad to. I'm getting ready to release the stage right now, but in the future there are a few more things I'd like to fix. Mainly the positioning of the tower and emblem on the carpet so that it's not angled awkwardly, templates so that people can add their own logo or emblem for a reskin or background swap for a different series, and the UV/texture mapping on the platforms.

It'd also be cool to start learning how to animate platforms, maybe I can find a decent chain model and attach four of them to each platform, get rid of the central platform and keep just the two side platforms, then animate them so that they go up and down, or something like that. The possibilities are endless.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
It'd also be cool to start learning how to animate platforms, maybe I can find a decent chain model and attach four of them to each platform, get rid of the central platform and keep just the two side platforms, then animate them so that they go up and down, or something like that. The possibilities are endless.
These ideas are sex to my brain. Please oh please oh please make this happen! lol. Maybe alternate versions with and without the central platform even... Oh my damn...

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
And now, without further ado... Smashboards, I present to you... the new and improved Bowser's Castle!

Download Bowser's Castle [Version 1.0] Here!
The main layout of the stage.

It's a triangle layout akin to Battlefield, but the top platform is slightly lower and the side platforms extend to the very edge of the stage.

A shot of the stage from farther away.

The background is very nice, but is still missing a few aesthetic treats that will be added in the future.

Here's King Koopa in the flesh!

I think he likes his new lair!

Don't touch the lava... seriously.

I've made it so that the bottom blastzone is almost directly lined up with the lava, which means if you touch it, you lose a stock or point!

Top Bottom