• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Legality Speculations

mimgrim

Smash Hero
When I read "double-walkoffs" I was thinking if there's been a stage with a walkoff on one side and a cliff on another. Would be a cool addition as I can't think of any right now (75m?). I wonder if those would be tournament legal if they existed.
Distant Planet

Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Both were banned in past games.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Distant Planet

Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Both were banned in past games.
What if those stages were normal? What if distant planet didn't have the Bulborb/weather effects and what if Yoshi's Island didn't have those blocks (the middle is solid) and the pipes on the left?

Would they be legal?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
What if those stages were normal? What if distant planet didn't have the Bulborb/weather effects and what if Yoshi's Island didn't have those blocks (the middle is solid) and the pipes on the left?

Would they be legal?
The Bulborb has nothing to do with DP being banned. That particular hazard shouldn't even be called a hazard. The whether is actually a plus for the stage imo, it makes it to where people can't always camp near the blast zone. People just don't like the jankiness or walk-off, so yea it would still be banned (unfortunately).

YIM would still probably be banned, even without the blocks or pipes, because of the walk-off and now the lack of platforms from the blocks would make CGers have a really good stage that they can now kill with from their CGs.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
The Bulborb has nothing to do with DP being banned. That particular hazard shouldn't even be called a hazard. The whether is actually a plus for the stage imo, it makes it to where people can't always camp near the blast zone. People just don't like the jankiness or walk-off, so yea it would still be banned (unfortunately).

YIM would still probably be banned, even without the blocks or pipes, because of the walk-off and now the lack of platforms from the blocks would make CGers have a really good stage that they can now kill with from their CGs.
that makes sense. i was just wondering if a single-walkoff would ever be legal. I mean, walkoffs are banned bc they dont alow vertical KOs, right? But you can still do that on single-walkoffs

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
A lot of chain grabs can't actually go up the slope even, plus if you just approach from the left going to the right properly, they;d have to end at the pipe end thus ending the grab (and for some it will end end on the blocks that make up the floor)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
A lot of chain grabs can't actually go up the slope even, plus if you just approach from the left going to the right properly, they;d have to end at the pipe end thus ending the grab (and for some it will end end on the blocks that make up the floor)
Read what the person I wrote said. He said no pipes, no blocks, and the middle is completely solid.

Let's also not forget other characters gain CGs with the slope as well and some even have an easier/longer time with the slope.

that makes sense. i was just wondering if a single-walkoff would ever be legal. I mean, walkoffs are banned bc they dont alow vertical KOs, right? But you can still do that on single-walkoffs
Well it depends on who you ask.

The reasons slopes were officially banned in Melee was because of Fox's Shine and they were officially banned in Brawl because of how CGs work.

But a lot of people just don't like how they change the dynamic of the game, and people will camp heavily at them. But I still think DP being banned was stupid. That stage was a legit counterpick imo. Due to the weather effects, camping at the blastzones isn't permanent, and the platform layout is good, and the flowers give an interesting twist.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Read what the person I wrote said. He said no pipes, no blocks, and the middle is completely solid.
You're right, my bad.

You know what, nothing is impossible. A walk off might be able to be legal depending. We do have stages with temporary walkoffs that are just fine. Who knows what Sakurai will give us in terms of things we've never seen before.

Top Bottom