• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Stage Legality Discussion Thread: Round II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linq

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfLinq
3DS FC
4639-8962-6197
I feel like Duck Hunt is overall a more 'fair' stage than UCT is. UCT has too many random elements to it....
If UCT is legalised with all of these elements, keeping Duck Hunt should be a no-brainer as it's way less intrusive in most aspects.
Except none of the randomness on UCT happens faster than human reaction time. On the other hand, the ducks on duck hunt spawn behind the grass with hurtbox active before even being visible. If you're Toon Link and you throw a boomerang into a spawning duck (which you have no way of predicting the location of), you recatch the boomerang immediately putting you in a ton of lag, making you get hit by the attack you would have stopped with said boomerang, at no fault of yours. It's completely unpredictable, and thus Duck Hunt is worse than Norfair. #LegalizeNorfair :troll:

Eugene Wang

Smash Apprentice
Except none of the randomness on UCT happens faster than human reaction time. On the other hand, the ducks on duck hunt spawn behind the grass with hurtbox active before even being visible. If you're Toon Link and you throw a boomerang into a spawning duck (which you have no way of predicting the location of), you recatch the boomerang immediately putting you in a ton of lag, making you get hit by the attack you would have stopped with said boomerang, at no fault of yours. It's completely unpredictable, and thus Duck Hunt is worse than Norfair. #LegalizeNorfair :troll:
Duck hunt doesn't force people onto arbritrary halves of the stage, or arbritrary platforms.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Duck hunt doesn't force people onto arbritrary halves of the stage, or arbritrary platforms.
You're going to have to elaborate on your use of the word "force". Umbra Clock Tower doesn't make the main stage vanish when the platforms come along.

Bold claim: Umbra Clock Tower is most similar, conceptually, to Town & City. The biggest differences are the blast zones (T&C is smaller) and the number of potential platform arrangements (UCT's 7 to T&C's 2). But both stages have the same general structure of "stationary base with platforms that come and go". The platforms even stick around for basically the same amount of time, 25 vs. 30.

Last edited:

Eugene Wang

Smash Apprentice
Alright, for the record, I am a stage moderate liberal, and I'm pretty sure Umbra Clock Tower slots right alongside Lylat Cruise and Dreamland 64 as the stage that might be neutral, might be counterpick. I also happen to dislike absurd comparisons. (I was commenting on your comparison between duck hunt and norfair.)

Last edited:

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
TGC 7, a pretty stacked tournament (starring a lot of top players) happened this weekend, with a much bigger than usual stagelist:

Starters: Smashville, T&C, BF/Miiverse, FD/Omegas, Lylat Cruise
Counterpicks: Dreamland 64, Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Skyloft, Umbra Clock Tower, Duck Hunt, Peach's Castle 64

They sadly weren't able to stream it, but people have been saying it's getting recorded. Might be valuable.

http://smashboards.com/threads/feb-...e-mvd-zero-dabuz-confirmed-houston-tx.425871/

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm impressed by that stage list. But I'm also impressed that someone in Houston had the balls to go ahead and experiment like that. I've been worried that everyone was shifting to small stage lists.

Seriously, Skyloft? Peach's Castle? Be still, my heart.

Last edited:

webbedspace

Smash Journeyman
The bad news is that this tournament's singles pools went over schedule and took 10 hours, and the bracket had to be canceled before top 8. The social media buzz seems to be that every deviation of its rules, from its stagelist to its use of 3 stocks, has now been disgraced (even though the most salient reason seems to be electrical problems preventing some of the setups from being used).

Last edited:

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
The bad news is that this tournament's singles pools went over schedule and took 10 hours, and the bracket had to be canceled before top 8. The social media buzz seems to be that every deviation of its rules, from its stagelist to its use of 3 stocks, has now been disgraced (even though the most salient reason seems to be electrical problems preventing some of the setups from being used).
Oh, that's unfortunate. Luckily, from what I've seen, a few top players like ESAM and MVD, bless their hearts, seem to be debunking that crap on their twitters, so hopefully that helps somewhat. I think Vinnie also mentioned something about the electricity too. His opinions on stages are still garbage, but he's from LI, so it can't be helped.

Note: I am also from LI.

paperchao

Smash Apprentice
NNID
paperchao
Oh, that's unfortunate. Luckily, from what I've seen, a few top players like ESAM and MVD, bless their hearts, seem to be debunking that crap on their twitters, so hopefully that helps somewhat. I think Vinnie also mentioned something about the electricity too. His opinions on stages are still garbage, but he's from LI, so it can't be helped.

Note: I am also from LI.
Long island? Or is that the initials for another region? Anyways, hopefully the vods go up soon for tgc because made said he was gunna time people out on umbra, and I'm wondering if he found an easy way to circle camp it. (Inb4 diddy vs ganon)

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
TGC 7, a pretty stacked tournament (starring a lot of top players) happened this weekend, with a much bigger than usual stagelist:

Counterpicks: Dreamland 64, Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Skyloft, Umbra Clock Tower, Duck Hunt, Peach's Castle 64

They sadly weren't able to stream it, but people have been saying it's getting recorded. Might be valuable.

http://smashboards.com/threads/feb-...e-mvd-zero-dabuz-confirmed-houston-tx.425871/
RIP pokemon stadium 2. Best not legal stage, imo

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Pokémon Stadium 2 > Skyloft

Also, not saying Vinnie is garbage, but I think this community will be a much, much better place once he finally quits (:

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
Pokémon Stadium 2 > Skyloft

Also, not saying Vinnie is garbage, but I think this community will be a much, much better place once he finally quits (:
Don't be so mean to poor Vinnie :(. He's a good guy, he's just from Long Island, he doesn't know any better. Honestly, LI is just a ****ter version of NY that should be disregarded when it comes to literally anything ever. Hofstra's biweekly has already banned UCT, Duck Hunt is despised but barely not banned, and I'm fairly certain our Pikachu infestation giving us players who actually use it is the only reason Lylat is still legal

However, Miiverse is a seperate starter from BF. Lord Sakurai preserve me these people need help.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
I think I'm being nice considering the constant harassment he puts out towards Mii players. Mii mains = Muslims, Vinnie = Donald Trump.

paperchao

Smash Apprentice
NNID
paperchao
Don't be so mean to poor Vinnie :(. He's a good guy, he's just from Long Island, he doesn't know any better. Honestly, LI is just a ****ter version of NY that should be disregarded when it comes to literally anything ever. Hofstra's biweekly has already banned UCT, Duck Hunt is despised but barely not banned, and I'm fairly certain our Pikachu infestation giving us players who actually use it is the only reason Lylat is still legal

However, Miiverse is a seperate starter from BF. Lord Sakurai preserve me these people need help.
Wait but isn't Mii verse not usable for the
3ds users? I didn't think people here on LI were that conservative to put Mii verse as a starter, lol

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
Next you'll tell me that they have Dream Land as a starter too...
It's been a while since I looked at our stage list. In all honesty, we're mostly not super serious, so stages don't matter a lot to most people, so I generally just get people to agree to Smashville, T&C. It's been a while since I actually looked at the stage list. However, I think T&C is still CP, Miiverse is still starter, and I'm honestly not sure about DL64

Edit: Found the google doc. Yeah, they run 5 starter, BF, FD, SV, Miiverse, DL. Counterpicks are Duck Hunt, Lylat, and T&C, and public opinion on the first two is pretty low

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
It's been a while since I looked at our stage list. In all honesty, we're mostly not super serious, so stages don't matter a lot to most people, so I generally just get people to agree to Smashville, T&C. It's been a while since I actually looked at the stage list. However, I think T&C is still CP, Miiverse is still starter, and I'm honestly not sure about DL64

Edit: Found the google doc. Yeah, they run 5 starter, BF, FD, SV, Miiverse, DL. Counterpicks are Duck Hunt, Lylat, and T&C, and public opinion on the first two is pretty low
Dude, no tournament should have miiverse and battlefield be different starters. Try and make them consider battlefield and miiverse the same stage, since the differences are so minor they are essentially nonexistent. Replace miiverse with either town and city or lylat.

Anyways, the reason I am here now is that I forgot to post my Umbra Clock Tower analysis in the thread when I made it a couple days ago, so here you guys go: https://youtu.bmBMJU

Also, I'm trying to get umbra clock tower legal at my locals via poll, and its half and half so far, 8 votes each. It's going to be so dumb if it not being legal wins

Last edited:

Seiniyta

Smash Cadet
Dude, no tournament should have miiverse and battlefield be different starters. Try and make them consider battlefield and miiverse the same stage, since the differences are so minor they are essentially nonexistent. Replace miiverse with either town and city or lylat.

Anyways, the reason I am here now is that I forgot to post my Umbra Clock Tower analysis in the thread when I made it a couple days ago, so here you guys go: https://youtu.bmBMJU

Also, I'm trying to get umbra clock tower legal at my locals via poll, and its half and half so far, 8 votes each. It's going to be so dumb if it not being legal wins
I don't think it needs to win. Even if only 40% agrees having it there, I feel that's a sizeable enough chunk of the tourney players wanting that I'd put it in.
You also have to consider that many people rather ban new unknown stuff rather then embrace it. Banning shouldn't only be based on players wanting it banned or not.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I don't think it needs to win. Even if only 40% agrees having it there, I feel that's a sizeable enough chunk of the tourney players wanting that I'd put it in.
You also have to consider that many people rather ban new unknown stuff rather then embrace it. Banning shouldn't only be based on players wanting it banned or not.
While this is true, the head TO voted for a ban.

I'm not sure if he'd allow it if the poll doesn't win. I'm just a measly side TO that does recording and organizes the rulesets, but everything goes past him.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I haven't actually put my thoughts on UCT up yet, so here goes nothing:

Umbra Clock Tower is a Skyloft clone.

Obviously that's not true, but they fill the same niche role in the stagelist, and it's probably closer to Skyloft in terms of "How Legal Should This Stage Be?" than it is to any of the currently legal stages. They share a lot of similarities: an interesting, dynamic platform layout, same ceiling height (read: HIGH), and the same "problems" (walkoffs, circle camping due to solid platforms/going under the stage). The only major differences are that Skyloft's transformations actually alter the main stage's platform a little more than anything UCT has to offer, and UCT spends considerably more of it's time looking like an FD/SV clone than Skyloft does.

I originally thought that Skyloft and UCT would be considered the 8th and 9th most likely candidates for legality (allowing us to FLSS once again which is nice) but I'm now wary of introducing two similar stages, when they're both quite different to anything the typical 7 stage list currently has to offer. Maybe instead of Skyloft I should be reassessing Delfino (which I've never been a fan of), Castle Siege, or Halberd.

In the mean time I'm a fan of 7 starters + 1 CP, with my first choice for the counterpick being UCT, although I wouldn't be opposed to the CP being Final Destination or Dream Land, and I could understand the reasoning behind making it Lylat or Duck Hunt. In the long term, I see 7 stage FLSS being the future. UCT is worth a trial but I'm not sure I can see it sticking around.
I agree that UCT is the equivalent of a traveling stage except with a solid platform.
I disagree about everything you said on Skyloft though, this stage should never be legal just because of the number of hitboxes that can and will kill you without your consent.

And despite what it looks like UCT's ceiling is the same height as BF.

UCT is at the same level of legality as Delfino/Wuhu and it could be interesting to have one or two out of the three in a stagelist. I'm having more and more problems with the way counterpicking is handled though

So if the majority agrees with your views it's good but if it's not the case then they're dumb ? What's the point of having a vote if you're going to judge people's opinion ?

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
So if the majority agrees with your views it's good but if it's not the case then they're dumb ? What's the point of having a vote if you're going to judge people's opinion ?
It is possible to hold a poll and still be opinionated about a subject. It's his opinion that having the stage banned would be dumb, but that's okay, as long as the data is reported fairly

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I agree that UCT is the equivalent of a traveling stage except with a solid platform.
I disagree about everything you said on Skyloft though, this stage should never be legal just because of the number of hitboxes that can and will kill you without your consent.

And despite what it looks like UCT's ceiling is the same height as BF.

UCT is at the same level of legality as Delfino/Wuhu and it could be interesting to have one or two out of the three in a stagelist. I'm having more and more problems with the way counterpicking is handled though

It would be "dumb" because I think the stage is legal and legal needs to win the poll for it to actually be legal at my locals.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
So a poll is being run regarding Michigan's treatment of the stage, and while a handful have garbage opinions (not the opinions themselves, again just the lack of description or reasoning why), a handful I've seen toward it's legality are quite good and a lot more seem in favor of having it than not. But those who cry loudly do seem to get their way without any effort into it, but here are some comments I collected in passing, in person and from the online polls comments, that seem to reflect peoples views of it as a whole. Take these for what you will. Indo think the platforms offer something the other stages do not with their placement, and do not think the subjective distracting complaints have any merit to them when they could easily apply to other stages that are legal (but seriously, has nobody played a frenzy, screen-filling action game ever before? There is far more offensive things out there on the eyes than Umbra will ever do). Anyway, comments I collected just because.

"I think its worth giving it more of a chance for now. Don't want to ban things too quick."
"The high ceiling is a nice option against vertical killers. Although the stage has a few questionable areas, the stage provides enough merit due to its unique characteristics that it should stay legal. If anything, it is time to drop Dreamland in my opinion."
"There are points at the stage where it's like actually impossible to see what's happening. I was playing on it yesterday and when the dragon roared I could not see a thing."
"I'm okay with it. Lack of high vertical ceilings in our stage list."
"Man I feel like the background is enough to be annoying. Doesn't the game cam also adjust to show the background properly too?"
"It's fun. But too dynamic. I don't feel as if it should be legal personally."

So there's that. I'll still be fighting the good fight, however, as there needs to be a closer in-depth look at the layouts as that is something a lot of people just aren't really discussing, at least not deeply in our group.

I'm also still very torn right now if I should be keeping Duck Hunt as the lone counterpick stage. In order to mostly keep FLSS intact it works, but I still feel there is some better option I could do. Hmm.

FirewaterDM

Smash Apprentice

No joke I wish this stagelist was real, looks pretty awesome

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Xyro is a great TO with no fear to unpopular opinions, he even ran in the past WHOBO, the only Brawl National with MK banned and 13 stages.
:196:

paperchao

Smash Apprentice
NNID
paperchao
Just out of curiosity, is there any data on if it's possible to get out of multihit moves using sdi/di on pokemon stadium 2's wind transformation? If not, I'm going to mess around on the stage with characters who can abuse these death combos and have Mario as the victim. Although, might be impractical if the effects are too little.

Last edited:

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
ESAM also did a stage analysis of UCT from a competitive standpoint - worth a watch.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
My thoughts on Umbra:

On every single transformation, after the platforms disappear, you're left at a disadvantage if you camp on them. You're either a sitting duck, falling in the air (if the platform goes up) or suddenly in a state in which you need to recover off stage (if you're camping the sides).

Thus, camping on this stage isn't an auto-viable strategy. Thought has to be put into it as to whether your opponent can outplay you in your disadvantaged stage or not (thus, retaining the game's concept of winning via skill and not "jank"). The fact that each transformation lasts only 15 seconds, at most, helps a bunch, as they can't wait there forever (thus, putting themselves in a disadvantaged state quickly). A smart player won't challenge the camper, especially if they don't have easy ways to do so, such as a command grab, because they know that as long as they're patient, they're rewarded with stage position and an advantage. With this mindset, the reward will happen every time someone attempts to camp, and because each transformation comes and goes so quickly, camping isn't viable if the opponent is aware of their conditions. Thus, every single time, the more skilled player will win this exchange (recognizing when to camp vs being patient).

I can see this stage being a counterpick for characters who like to have a brief moment to recompose themselves, whether it be a Rosalina wanting to take a couple seconds to get back a Luma or a charging projectile character who wants to grab a quick boost before they get back into the fight. The platform arrangements make it hard to approach anyone on the obscure ones, without say, a command grab, but staying on the platform is too much of a commitment as well, as you become telegraphed (staying on it until it disappears puts you in a position where you're forced to go away from it, because the platform no longer exists, as opposed to jumping off of it in an unpredictable manner when it is still visible on screen, as the opponent is speculating whether you are going to remove yourself from the platform or not). Because of this, it benefits those who need a quick 2 or 3 seconds to get an advantage.

Also, as noted in many discussions before, it also benefits characters with mediocre recoveries.

--

Basically, I believe that this stage should be legal. Camping on this stage have risks to their rewards, much like the touring stages in past rule sets, and as stated by many, after a few games on this stage, the "distracting visuals" become far less distracting.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
chaos11011 chaos11011 everything you said also applies to Delfino/Wuhu. The only thing UCT brings in compared to those 2 stages is having solid platform(s).

I don't have anything against any of those stages but if you want to consider legality you should think of them together.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
chaos11011 chaos11011 everything you said also applies to Delfino/Wuhu. The only thing UCT brings in compared to those 2 stages is having solid platform(s).

I don't have anything against any of those stages but if you want to consider legality you should think of them together.
UCT does have a constant, stable main platform though. It's like T&C in this regard. It also doesn't have any water or damaging hazards.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
After fiddling with equipment, I now know why they're banned from competetive play; a Ganondorf with mostly Speed and Attack equipment buffs is utterly monstrous to deal with, and he would probably soar up into high tier.

Seriously, though; Equipment makes Ganondorf hilariously powerful; pair that with Wizard's Dropkick and you get what may just be the most destructive Ganondorf this franchise has ever seen. :p That'd make for a fun side-event to the main tourney, actually; a customs tournament with as many hilariously OP movesets and equipment sets as possible. Would certainly make for a very different meta from our current one.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Yeah, I can't see Delfino or Wuhu being legal because they both don't have a consistent layout and have hazards that just don't play well with competetive. UCT is a moving stage, but you always have the main platform; it's only the auxillary platforms that are shifting.

Delfino has like five or six totally different layouts to memorize, on top of water, walkoffs, the tiny blastzones which make Zamus' UAir-UAir-UAir-USpecial combo a damn near certain KO on the top of the main transformation and overall it's just not a very good competetive stage.
Wuhu has walkoffs, multiple different layouts, water and inconsistent blastzones. Again, not very good of a competetive stage.

I just cannot see them being legal, simply because there's too many variables on them. Stages like Duck Hunt are used because their gimmicks don't intrude on the competition. Wuhu and Delfino do because they simply don't stay consistent.

We banned stages like Pyrosphere, Wily's Castle and Gaur Plains because of intrusive gimmicks, I see no reason that Delfino and Wuhu should be exempted from similar treatment.

Yikarur

Smash Master
You can't really compare UCT to Delfino. It's nothing like this.
You should compare it to Town & City. It's basically Town & City's counterpart.
The "camp out" layouts are not a problem because everyone who tries to "camp" the 25 seconds is in a bad position afterwards. It's not rewarding to camp those layouts and there is nothing "wrong" with this stage otherwise.
The stage does not have "janky kills", "broken reward" or anything like that, and those things are the reason Castle Siege and Delfino are not considered legal in most regions.

In fact, the reason Delfino is banned in most rulesets is the blastzone shifting. The stage would probably stil be allowed in most regions if it wasn't for the super low ceilings.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I feel at this point the best format would be to revert back to five stage striking, with SV/BF/FD/TC/LC and DL/DH/UCT as counters, 1 Ban and DSR in effect.

Dreamland to counterpick to avoid game 1 redundancies with Battlefield. While I like the 2-3-1 format with 7 stages, I do not see the purpose in having only one counterpick, and I do not feel bringing back Castle Siege or Delfino Plaza is beneficial nor feasible. Though I think Castle Siege has the most merit for a return appearance.

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
in germany (a lot) more people favor Delfino over Castle Siege.
We use LC as fifth starter as well (and Beast 6 does too).

It's far better than Dreamland. While I have never seen a match starting on dreamland lylat cruise is started on regulary.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I feel at this point the best format would be to revert back to five stage striking, with SV/BF/FD/TC/LC and DL/DH/UCT as counters, 1 Ban and DSR in effect.

Dreamland to counterpick to avoid game 1 redundancies with Battlefield. While I like the 2-3-1 format with 7 stages, I do not see the purpose in having only one counterpick, and I do not feel bringing back Castle Siege or Delfino Plaza is beneficial nor feasible. Though I think Castle Siege has the most merit for a return appearance.
With 8 legal stages, I think 2 bans + DSR are doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom