• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Idea Thread (post stage ideas you have!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
This isn't as in-depth as my last stage idea, but I had to let this one out.
Wario's Woods (Wario's Woods)

This stage takes place inside a hollow tree. Despite the above picture, the stage wouldn't have walls. The main gimmick of the stage would be the colored bombs and the monsters. They are harmless on their own, but when a bomb is a part of a row of three or more, it explodes and destroys all the monsters in the row. Said explosions will also hurt anyone nearby that's wearing a costume that's that color (a la Find Mii).

Music:
Round Game (Wario's Woods (NES))
Round Game (Wario's Woods (SNES))
Vs. Mode (Wario's Woods (NES))
Vs. Mode (Wario's Woods (SNES))
Theme A (Yoshi (NES))
Theme A (Yoshi's Cookie (NES))
Sneeze/Que Que (Dr. Mario 64)
Cough/Cube (Dr. Mario 64)

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Inspiration has struck!

So I recently played a game called Freedom Planet. It's basically the Sonic game that Sonic Team can't seem to make. And damn, is it a good game! There was one level in particular that stuck out in my mind as being a perfect stage for battle!

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the Sky Battalion!

Oh man, now he's using the fancy drawing techniques. Better watch out!

Name: Sky Battalion

Game: Freedom Planet

Description: Flying ships! The main part of the boat is a solid platform, while the rear deck and the floating missiles act as drop-through platforms. The missiles will slowly bob around, but not enough to affect gameplay (think Pirate Ship platforms). For Hazards, sometimes Lilac, Carol, or Mila will appear and hop on one of the missiles. A few seconds after this, WHOOOSH! The missile will fly off the right side of the stage, taking anything on it off into the sunset. After about 30 seconds, a new missile will come to take the old one's place.

As for aesthetics, sometimes enemy ships will show up in the background, and you can catch the faintest glimpse of Lilac or Carol fighting off the baddies on the boat.

And that's it! Enjoy!

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
Name: Sky Battalion

Game: Freedom Planet

Description: Flying ships! The main part of the boat is a solid platform, while the rear deck and the floating missiles act as drop-through platforms. The missiles will slowly bob around, but not enough to affect gameplay (think Pirate Ship platforms). For Hazards, sometimes Lilac, Carol, or Mila will appear and hop on one of the missiles. A few seconds after this, WHOOOSH! The missile will fly off the right side of the stage, taking anything on it off into the sunset. After about 30 seconds, a new missile will come to take the old one's place.

As for aesthetics, sometimes enemy ships will show up in the background, and you can catch the faintest glimpse of Lilac or Carol fighting off the baddies on the boat.

And that's it! Enjoy!
That's a nice looking stage, though I wonder what music you'd put on it...

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
So get this, it looks like Cornera, it has all the same hazards as Corneria, and it might as well be Corneria, but its not
Sometimes it's totes a coincidence. Once I made a Fire Emblem 6 stage that was basically Corneria + Battlefield

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Here is a sneak peek of a concept I'll be posting in full tomorrow.

Five Nights Stage.png

Ignore that weird thing at the bottom, the stage extends to the bottom blast zones.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
I had this idea for a while now!

Mario Maker (Super Mario Maker)

In this stage, there are four possible layouts (one for each game) that randomly change every 20 seconds with no repeats. The layout is altered in real time while a cursor hand adds and deletes things based on the upcoming theme. The changing process takes 10 seconds. (Mock-ups made with SSB4U's Stage Builder Program.)

The stage always starts here.
The blocks work as they did in Mushroom Kingdom (Melee) where they disappear after being hit, including ? Blocks (Grey Squares here). The moving platforms act just the same as they did in SMB1 (they are not scales)

On the left is a Bullet Bill Blaster (represented by the dark stone block to the left) and on the right is a normal Airship Cannon (represented by the smaller stone block on the left). They only fire when items are on.

The arena is surrounded by lava and uses skull rafts (represented as the moving platforms in the lava in the mock-up) on the lava.

The blocks would act like they do on the Overworld form (they break on hit). The Warp Pipes (represented by the blocks with the drop-thru platforms) work as they do on Mushroomy Kingdom.

Every stage that I'll do from now on will have two OSTs, one for if it were a Smash 5 Stage (meaning SSB4U music is kosher, up to 10 songs) and one for if it were Smash 4 DLC (SSB4U music is off-limits, up to 6 songs).

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Five Nights Stage.png

Stage Name: The Office
Game of Origin: Five Nights at Freddy's

Description: In every Five Nights at Freddy's game (except 4, which has the room), one location stands out among the rest: The office. The only location your character actually is in, this is where you must defend yourself against murderous, possessed animatronics. The stage is closest to the office from Five Nights 1. It has a large main platform drawn here in black, with 4 smaller platforms drawn in light grey. Everything else in the image is in the background.
The back wall extends from one side of the camera to the other, no part of the outside world is visible. The wall of course has numerous posters and children's drawings from all games in the FNaF Series. The platform however, is not a walk-off: it seems damaged, almost as if the ground of the pizzeria has been bombed or burned on both sides long ago. In the background, between the 2 doors is a long desk. It contains numerous references to various Five Nights games, including the fan, the cupcake, the freddy mask from Five nights 2, the cute plush versions of the characters, the box of props from Five Nights 3, some toys from Five Nights 4, and others. It also has a small tv monitor that occasionally turns on and shows snippets from the five nights series' Atari style minigames.

Now for the most important aspect: the stages unique mechanics. On the back wall is an enormous monitor, displaying security feeds from the rest of Freedy Fazbear's Pizzeria. It shows the players the locations of the animatronics. The players do not control this monitor, it automatically moves between different cameras, only showing the players where the animatronics are. The map is a modified version of the map from Five Nights 1, it has a few extra rooms. This is because more than just the FNaF 1 cast shows up, other notable characters like the Puppet, Balloon Boy and Springtrap can be a threat as well. Each of the floating platforms has a button above it marked L or D. These control that side's lights or door, respectively. If an animatronic is standing at the door the light will reveal it, and the door will keep it out. The light and the door are activated by attacking their button. If a button is pressed, their will be a roughly 10 second cooldown period during which it can't be used.

Periodically the lights will flicker. They aren't off long enough to impede the fight, but they are off long enough to conceal the entry of an unimpeded animatronic. If an animatronic gets in the room, it will shortly after Jump up in front of the camera, like a nintendog, jumpscaring the players and dealing large damage to all players.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Concert Stage
(Various)

It's so chaotic!
This stage isn't really based on any particular game, but it's kind of a combination of a bunch of games. The crowd is randomly generated from a bunch of sprites.

You fight on the podium in the foreground. If you're launched into the crowd you will be knocked back up, so be careful not to fall into them!

The main draw of this stage are the musical guests that are chosen at random when the stage loads.

Mother 3's DCMC?!

KK Slider of course. He can also appear in his DJ KK persona.

Roxie's band from Pokemon Black & White 2!
Other famous bands that appear are the Runaway Five, The Indigo-Go's, the Chorus Kids & Barbara the Bat's Band.

That's it really.. enjoy the backgrounds, don't fall into the crowd.. Otherwise it's a pretty mellow stage. (This took me a lot longer to put together than I thought it would, lol).

Soundtrack (Each are different depending on who's playing):
DCMC Theme (DCMC) (Mother 3)
Runaway 5 Theme (Runaway 5) (Earthbound)
KK Rock (KK Slider) (Animal Crossing)
DJ KK's House Night Medley (DJ KK) (Animal Crossing)
Daigasso! DS Medley (Barbara the Bat's Band) (Jam With The Band)
Roxie's Gym Theme (Roxie's Band) (Pokemon)
Indigo-Go's Rehearsal (Indigo-Go's) (Legend of Zelda)
Ballad of the Wind Fish (Indigo-Go's) (Legend of Zelda)
Glee Club (Chorus Kids) (Rhythm Heaven)

Last edited:

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
I had this idea for a while now!

Mario Maker (Super Mario Maker)

In this stage, there are four possible layouts (one for each game) that randomly change every 20 seconds with no repeats. The layout is altered in real time while a cursor hand adds and deletes things based on the upcoming theme. The changing process takes 10 seconds. (Mock-ups made with SSB4U's Stage Builder Program.)

The stage always starts here.
The blocks work as they did in Mushroom Kingdom (Melee) where they disappear after being hit, including ? Blocks (Grey Squares here). The moving platforms act just the same as they did in SMB1 (they are not scales)

On the left is a Bullet Bill Blaster (represented by the dark stone block to the left) and on the right is a normal Airship Cannon (represented by the smaller stone block on the left). They only fire when items are on.

The arena is surrounded by lava and uses skull rafts (represented as the moving platforms in the lava in the mock-up) on the lava.

The blocks would act like they do on the Overworld form (they break on hit). The Warp Pipes (represented by the blocks with the drop-thru platforms) work as they do on Mushroomy Kingdom.

Every stage that I'll do from now on will have two OSTs, one for if it were a Smash 5 Stage (meaning SSB4U music is kosher, up to 10 songs) and one for if it were Smash 4 DLC (SSB4U music is off-limits, up to 6 songs).

Welp...

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I have yet to share these here, so I may as well do it now.

I designed these stages to be the "home stages" for Tiki from Fire Emblem; there's a stage for 3DS (Mila Tree) and Wii U (Ice Dragon Temple).

THE MILA TREE (3DS)

The Mila Tree in Awakening
The Mila Tree is Tiki's home in Awakening, located in the continent of Valm, and the resting place of Azure, one of the Fire Emblem's sacred gemstones. The tree itself is guarded by Mila, the Earth Mother of Zofia, and Tiki has dwelt here for many years in anticipation of a great hero. Chrom and his army arrive here to claim Azure from Tiki, and after defeating Cervantes of Valm and his troops, Chrom receives the gemstone and Tiki returns to her indefinite sleep.

Concept sketch of the Mila Tree stage
In Smash, the Mila Tree is a medium-sized stage with three main platforms: a large central platform and two smaller platforms floating in the air. The stage is set in the interior of the tree, and the tree's branches reach out at either side in the background. The branches do not function as platforms and cannot be stood on, yet they do serve an important purpose: every so often, a torrent of water will come washing down from above and fall down from the branch, and any fighter caught in the water will be dragged down with it! It won't KO them right away, though: when the water starts to flow, the area below the stage will be briefly flooded, and is treated like any other stage with water that can be swum in. Fighters can use this as a means of surviving if they can swim back to safety, but be careful: as soon as the water stops flowing, the stage will return to normal, and any unwary fighters still swimming around when this happens will find themselves washed off-stage! Furthermore, there's a chance that the torrent of water will be much stronger than usual, and this will cause a furious current to flow underneath the stage - fighters can't swim in this kind of water, and the undertow can drag fighters off-screen very quickly if they're not careful!

ICE DRAGON TEMPLE (Wii U)

The Ice Dragon Temple in the Fire Emblem TCG
Once home to the Ice Dragons, this ancient temple is known in Akaneian lore to be the shrine that houses the legendary Starstone. Marth traveled here to receive the Starstone from Gotoh, and Gotoh entrusted both the stone and the young Tiki to him, confident that they would be of aid to him in his journey.

Concept sketch of the Ice Dragon Temple stage
In Smash, the Ice Dragon Temple is a large stage with four main platforms: two large central platforms with a break between them and three smaller platforms floating in the air. The stage is set outside the temple, and the structure can be seen in the background. The stage's most striking feature the Ice Dragon that will occasionally appear from within the temple. When the Ice Dragon appears, it will fly around the stage for a few seconds before halting in mid-air, at which point it will take aim and unleash a storm of freezing ice breath. It will release its ice breath in one of two ways: a continual beam of ice that will do massive damage to any fighters caught in its range, ultimately freezing and launching them, and an intense hailstorm of freezing wind that will temporarily freeze the entire stage, reducing the traction to almost nothing. The Ice Dragon will eventually return to the temple of its own accord, or it can be defeated by hitting it repeatedly. It will reappear later on if the fight progresses. The Ice Dragon will only intervene in one way per appearance.

Danny of AD 1

Smash Apprentice
There is a stage I made in brawl called the capsule the interior of the stage has both spring jumps and lava while the exterior has a walkthrough platform at the top
Another idea is shadow Moses island without playing as snake
The last stage is final destination but with cannons aimed toward the stage to aid in recovery

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I had an idea, you guys.

I was thinking, if the stage creation contest was still going, that I had a good idea for a round...

Taking one stage and altering the theme to suit another franchise.

For instance, what if you took an existing stage (In this case, Saffron City) and kept all of its attributes (Same platforms, door still opens with baddies inside, same fall length etc) but made it a Zelda stage? Or an Animal Crossing stage, or a Metroid stage?

So I'm challenging you guys to do this. It doesn't have to be Saffron City, but I threw together a basic vector version of that stage.

What would you do to make this exact layout again but in a different theme? That's my challenge to you guys. I'll do one too at some point once I have a good idea for my theme.

My only rules are A) It's gotta be a stage related to Smash Bros (Meaning any Nintendo franchise, Megaman, Sonic, MGS, Street Fighter or Pac-Man are all eligible themes) and B) It has to have the same exact attributes that the original stage had. No removing hazards or adding different hazards

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Kevandre Kevandre

I've actually done quite a bit of that sort of thing with the stage builder.

Here's Plant Kingdom, based on Kongo Jungle from Melee. The main platform is modeled after a flower pot, with leaves as platforms and a Sonic Rush soundtrack.

Mario Story is a reskin of Yoshi's Island from Smash 64, sans clouds (and with a bookstand of sorts underneath). It's named after Paper Mario's Japanese release.

Dire Dire Docks, a reskin of Great Bay sans turtle.

Tetris Story is a reskin of Yoshi's Story from Melee, sans Randall.

Floral Field has the same platform shape as the second form of Frigate Orpheon, but two platforms (mainly since the one platform in the middle caused spawning issues).

Marió Stadium 3 is a Pokemon Stadium reskin, with a Mario 3 theme.

Temploon Fight is a Balloon Fight 3DS reskin (sans walkoffs, fish, and pac-man syndrome), themed to a Zelda temple.

Brin-Star Fox is Brinstar's layout, but on a spaceship. Cool.

And this is Skyworld Island, Yoshi's Island from Brawl with a Kid Icarus aesthetic.

You can find download links on my Miiverse page if you're interested. Just ask if you wanna download one that's expired. :)

As for Saffron... I'd probably be really boring and theme it to the mountain world from New Super Mario Bros. :p

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Here are my crappy concept sketches for Stages

(For those wondering, these were concepts meant for the fangame Super Smash Bros. Unity. Hence the weird cast of characters on some of these stages.)

Lanayru desert, seems pretty empty. Kinda small too if you think about it, but if a Bokoblin smacks the Time-Shift Crystal...

the stage will gain two more platforms! The old dunish looking foreground will also become a nice green field full of grass. This rift only reaches the foreground though!

Oh, Planet Macbeth. Here we have The Forever Train, a train that goes, well, forever! This stage is kinda like Big Blue and Spirit Train where the track will send you flying.

A Macbeth will also latch onto the train to act as another platform, but he can be fought like a Boss. He will also attack back! So stand guard.

A pretty flat stage at first glance,

but cubes will start to pop out of the ground to carry the pole across the stage! The platforms will push opponents up into the air, along with the pole damaging opponents.

Idea collaborated upon with APC99

Flying Machine, home of Propeller Knight. It's a simple stage that's flat with a platform moving from left to right and vice versa. The fan in the center will also randomly activate sending opponents just the right height to the platform.

A stage with an interesting layout, three solid platforms, one fall-through platform, and a walk off. You can lose a stock everywhere here except for below! If you get stuck down there in the poisonous swamp you will slowly start to take damage.

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
I'm back again! Did you all miss me?

...probably not. :p

But now that I'm here, I've got another stage for you! And damn, this is easily the most effort I've put into a stage in a LONG time.

So, ladies and gentlemen, without further ado, I give you a stage from ...

Yeah yeah, say what you will about tumblr or hyp or whatever. It's a good game, and that's all that I care about for the moment. Now then, the stage!

Name: Random Encounter

Game: Undertale

Description: So on the surface, this stage is pretty simple. The large box of text serves as the main platform of the stage, while the two hovering white lines serve as moving platforms, moving along the arrow's path to the dotted locations. Simple, right? How could this be the stage I spent the most time on?

Why, the encounters, of course! After all, what's a random encounter without battles? Every so often on this stage (I'll say once roughly every 45 seconds), one of the game's bosses will appear, delivering an attack that will cause harm to the fighters! There's nine in total, but each one is spoilery, and since I do think undertale is best player without knowing anything beforehand, I'm gonna stick each one behind spoiler tags (labeled in order of appearance, and not by boss name, for maximum spoil-protection).

First up, Toriel!

When dear beloved Goat Mom appears, you better be good with dodging or stay out of the middle...

...because a swerving pattern of magical fireballs will rain from the ceiling! Only a few sets of fireballs will drop, and each one only deals 5% damage with no flinch, so the attack isn't as devastating as some could be.
Next up, the human hunting fanatic, Papyrus!

When Papyrus shows up, get ready on timing your jumps!

Bam! Some bones come flying in from the sides of the screen! The bones won't reach the highest point of the moving platforms, so you could avoid the attack altogether if you're lucky! But if you get hit, you'll take 10% damage and get knocked in the direction the bone is moving! Nyeh heh heh!
Next is the most determined fish in the underground, Undyne!

When Undyne appears, you better rush for cover!

A random pattern of arrows will fly in from the left, right, and top of the screen! Each arrow packs quite a whollop, dealing 10% damage and piercing through shields! But don't worry, the barrier in the center should protect you, so be sure to stay close to the middle!
Fourth on the list, the stingy spider, Muffet!

Better take the high ground with this one, because after Muffet appears...

Her pet spider decided it wants to join the fray too! Be sure to avoid it - that spider deals a whopping 25% damage and launches opponents a fairly long distance, so take to the platforms and stay out of its reach!
For the fifth boss, put your hands together for Mettaton!

How fabulous! Better get ready with your running skills, because...

...he's just DYING to show you his legs! Each leg deals 10% damage, spiking you if you're in the air, and burying you if you're on the ground. The leg attack will only last for about 5 seconds though, so enjoy it while it lasts! What a package!
And last for the regular bosses, we've got the ruler of the underground himself, Asgore!

If you're not feeling lucky, it's best to stick to the center with this guy, because...

...he launches a barrage of fireballs at you! Unlike Toriel, these fireballs are a force to be reckoned with, each wall locking you in it's grip and dealing up to 20% damage for its duration! Asgore will only send down 4 alternating barrages before he goes away.
Those who complete the game in a moral grey area will get the chance to take on one of the evilest characters in the game... and he's decided to come annoy you in this stage too! Ladies and gentlemen, Flowey.

What a miserable creature, torturing innocent souls like you! Oh, better stay away from the middle, by the way.

Bam! Tons of vines, right out of nowhere! The wall of foliage will deal about 15% damage with medium knockback, but it will linger around for a while, dealing an additional 5% to anyone who touches it while it's still there. After about 5 seconds, the wall goes away.
Your hopes and dreams are realized... the final boss for those who do nothing wrong is none other than Asriel Dreemurr!

Sorry, no flashy rainbow background this time. Here, let me give you a consolation prize...

There, a flashy rainbow attack! This attack will alternate from left to right, hitting the area for the floating platforms before swooping down below the stage. Each hit will deal around 10% damage to you, so be on your toes!
And finally, for the truly evil players, they get the ability to face off against the weakest enemy in the game... the lazy comic, Sans.

He can only do one damage though, right? So I'm sure it'll be safe to stand on the floating platfo-

Nope. Each of those lasers hits the player for only 1% non-flinching damage... for every frame they're standing in it. Sans will launch four gaster blasters on random sides of the stage, so get out of the way as fast as you can, or you'll find yourself having a very bad time.

And that's all of them! The stage will randomly pick the bosses that appear, so you never know quite what you're going to see!

Well, that's the stage. It was an ordeal to make, but I think it was well worth it. Enjoy!

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
So here are some ideas I have:

So the fighting is on the back area of the ship. (It's quite difficult to explain, but the very back area of the ship that's higher above the rest of the ship if this makes sense, so I hope you guys know what I'm talking about), and the sails could maybe be used as platforms.

So it's like a mix between Delphino Plaza and Halberd. The ship starts out in the docks of Castelia City. If you knock an opponent of the ship, they land in the water rather than falling to their death in this phase. There is also a walk-off on the left.

The second phase of the stage is where the ship flies into the air, so of course, the water is gone.

The third phase of the stage is when it's flying above Opelucid City. Nothing but a cosmetic difference, but you can see a view of the Plasma Frigate shooting ice at the city.

It's quite similar to Peach's Castle from Melee and Hyrule Castle, where you fight on the roof of the castle.

Maybe Yuga would be a hazard.

I'll probably edit this post and add more later.

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Well well well...

Since there's a new Smash Bros on the horizon, then mayhaps it's time to revive this old thread...

And I do have a few stages in mind, so let me kick things off with this!

Welcome to New Donk City!

Name: New Donk City

Game: Super Mario Odyssey

Description: Sadly I've omitted the lines I usually use to distinguish platforms in this one, but it should be fairly evident how it all works! The stage takes place across three buildings (Fourside style!) - City Hall is front and center, with the two neighboring buildings taking the left and right sides of the stage! In terms of where you can stand, the roofs make up the main areas, along with the red girder connecting the the right building to town hall. Additionally, the hanging girder on the right is a drop through platform that slowly rotates as the match goes on, and the umbrella on the left building is a trampoline that will launch you high into the air!

That'll do for now I think! Here's to hyping up Smash on Switch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom