• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If there's one consistent pattern in Smash it's the "**** y'all Mario paid the delivery guy so he gets the last slice" approach to stages. 5 Mario stages in 3DS, same as Brawl, whereas most series were lucky to even get a new stage with the rest being stuck with past stages or none at all. Though if Brawl and 3DS are any indication, the Mario stages at least come from differnt subsections of Mario. 3D land from the 3D games, Golden Plains from the "new" series, Rainbow Road from Mario Kart, Paper Mario from the same series and Mushroomy Kingdom from the classics.

So far WiiU has a Galaxy stage and a "new" stage. What other Mario Sub-Series stages do you think we'll get?

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Probably another Mario Kart stage; maybe another variation on Rainbow Road, although this could also double as a returning stage from Brawl.

I'm surprised we have not seen a Mario Party stage yet; we may get a Warioware style minigame stage based on the vehicle gimmick in Mario Party 9.

A retro stage is probably in the works too. Maybe a Mario Bros 3 Mushroom Kingdom stage? it would go well with the Leaf item.

And a returning stage, if the Mario Kart stage is not one. I would like to see the 64 Peach castle, but it would more likely be Delfino Plaza.

Hong

The Strongest
@ Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 Your thread is stage discussion, and ultimately still falls within the stage thread. Thus, I've merged your thread into this one.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
If there's one consistent pattern in Smash it's the "**** y'all Mario paid the delivery guy so he gets the last slice" approach to stages. 5 Mario stages in 3DS, same as Brawl, whereas most series were lucky to even get a new stage with the rest being stuck with past stages or none at all. Though if Brawl and 3DS are any indication, the Mario stages at least come from differnt subsections of Mario. 3D land from the 3D games, Golden Plains from the "new" series, Rainbow Road from Mario Kart, Paper Mario from the same series and Mushroomy Kingdom from the classics.

So far WiiU has a Galaxy stage and a "new" stage. What other Mario Sub-Series stages do you think we'll get?
Well, might have an mk8 one as console game wasn't repped that much in 3ds.

But I'm almost sure we're getting the same for Paper Mario. I expect at least the repping here to be mostly the first 3 games. Maybe spm or first 2 that I should wait to know, but what I'm quite confident is to get more console repping.

Could elaborate, but it would just be too long. Let's just say that I really wonder how the repping is going to happen there. Because I don't think TTYD is finished to get repped yet...

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Well, might have an mk8 one as console game wasn't repped that much in 3ds.

But I'm almost sure we're getting the same for Paper Mario. I expect at least the repping here to be mostly the first 3 games. Maybe spm or first 2 that I should wait to know, but what I'm quite confident is to get more console repping.

Could elaborate, but it would just be too long. Let's just say that I really wonder how the repping is going to happen there. Because I don't think TTYD is finished to get repped yet...
I wanted Paper Mario stage more than anything. 3DS got one but we need a stage for the Wii U! I'd love a stage from TTYD. Like that really weird forest that's like all black and white....Hmmm it's been awhile since I've played those games!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I wanted Paper Mario stage more than anything. 3DS got one but we need a stage for the Wii U! I'd love a stage from TTYD. Like that really weird forest that's like all black and white....Hmmm it's been awhile since I've played those games!
Boggly woods, but everything TTYD is valid honestly.

The most mentioned are glits pit because best ch rep and very possible to do stufff, but the most wanted and my most wanted is clearly the theater since it could rep the entire game with scene switching. That stage slone has enough potential to rep Boggly woods or any boss hazards and even the audience. It's quite crazy that a stage can rep the msin point of a game, but it's true.

Today's potd showed a thing that helps a WiiU stage whether pm64, TTYD or spm (they are all good) to happen. Ganondorf from wind waker, console game, appeared on WiiU but not on 3ds. This is consistent to have more emphasis on sticker star on 3ds and less (but imo, very decent) home console rep.

I ey, but I have no expectation since just the 3ds stage blew my previous ones. I expected a music minimum, and we got it with a stage.

They can blow my expectation again, Sakurai makes miracle you know.

Also, feel free to play TTYD again, I myself forgot a lot of PM64 and I'm going to do a playtrought in the folowing days since I need to refresh my memory. You actually realise that the game is even better after playing it again :)

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Boggly woods, but everything TTYD is valid honestly.

The most mentioned are glits pit because best ch rep and very possible to do stufff, but the most wanted and my most wanted is clearly the theater since it could rep the entire game with scene switching. That stage slone has enough potential to rep Boggly woods or any boss hazards and even the audience. It's quite crazy that a stage can rep the msin point of a game, but it's true.

Today's potd showed a thing that helps a WiiU stage whether pm64, TTYD or spm (they are all good) to happen. Ganondorf from wind waker, console game, appeared on WiiU but not on 3ds. This is consistent to have more emphasis on sticker star on 3ds and less (but imo, very decent) home console rep.

I ey, but I have no expectation since just the 3ds stage blew my previous ones. I expected a music minimum, and we got it with a stage.

They can blow my expectation again, Sakurai makes miracle you know.

Also, feel free to play TTYD again, I myself forgot a lot of PM64 and I'm going to do a playtrought in the folowing days since I need to refresh my memory. You actually realise that the game is even better after playing it again :)
I really do need to play those games again. The first two are classics. Yes I forgot I seen a really good design in a stage discussion post for a stage based on the theater. I would be shocked if Sakurai and team don't do it for this game. The idea sells itself really. It's actually a shame Paper Mario doesn't get represented as much in Smash. There are so many stage hazards,music, bosses, AT. Items and maybe even 1 roster spot that would work. Even if it is a non clone Paper Mario. I would main him so HARD!

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I need to play Paper Mario 64, it looks great. TTYD is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Super Paper Mario was okay but also mediocre at the same time, it has a great story, great charm, great characters, etc but meh gameplay and tedious chapters. ...Sticker Star, we do not speak of that game. Ugh! D:

EDIT: I thought we were in the social thread, whoops!

It would be real nice to see a Paper Mario 64 stage, or perhaps even Super Paper Mario in Wii U considering neither games were repped in the 3DS version. I'll always welcome a stand alone TTYD stage though <3

Last edited:

AIM0001

Smash Lord
A Bubba Clubba(pm64) stage hazard would be awesome! Now I got my hopes all high! C'mon Sakurai!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I need to play Paper Mario 64, it looks great. TTYD is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Super Paper Mario was okay but also mediocre at the same time, it has a great story, great charm, great characters, etc but meh gameplay and tedious chapters. ...Sticker Star, we do not speak of that game. Ugh! D:

EDIT: I thought we were in the social thread, whoops!

It would be real nice to see a Paper Mario 64 stage, or perhaps even Super Paper Mario in Wii U considering neither games were repped in the 3DS version. I'll always welcome a stand alone TTYD stage though <3
please....that's totally false.

Pm64 got repped because in the TTYD section, one of the three random hazards is the pm64 whale sprouting water to lift the ship. This should be known btw because it's great to mention.

Spm got referenced in the blooper trophy description.

Every game got referenced, but pm64 wasn't put aside. In fact, a shy guy trophy description reference subtly the ch4 of that game.

So, high hopes for WiiU repping.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know the mysterious murasame castle medley and the balloon fight medley both would suit a nintendoland stage

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I want something similar to Prism Tower on the Wii U version.

I love the hell out of that stage.

Naoshi

I want something similar to Prism Tower on the Wii U version.

I love the hell out of that stage.
Goldenrod City? :D

Seriously, we need a Johto stage for once! I'll be disappointed if the 2nd Wii U Pokemon stage is another Unova/Kalos stage, give the other regions a chance, Sakurai!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Seriously, we need a Johto stage for once! I'll be disappointed if the 2nd Wii U Pokemon stage is another Unova/Kalos stage, give the other regions a chance, Sakurai!
theres only been 2 not to have a stage at some point in the series thats not to bad

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa

Well that means we have Kanto , Johto , Hoenn and Sinnoh, Only regions never to have stage is Jotho and Hoenn so one from one would be nice.

Naoshi

theres only been 2 not to have a stage at some point in the series thats not to bad
True, but it would be nice if every Pokemon stage so far in this game aren't based on just the two most recent games. XY and BW getting their stages is fine. Just would like at least one stage based on an older gen, even if it's Saffron City returning.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
True, but it would be nice if every Pokemon stage so far in this game aren't based on just the two most recent games. XY and BW getting their stages is fine. Just would like at least one stage based on an older gen, even if it's Saffron City returning.
it would be nice but sakurai seems to have a prefernce for the most recent games (except when it comes to kirby)

still you never know, if sakurai knew about OR&AS during the games development there may yet be a hoenn stage

Naoshi

it would be nice but sakurai seems to have a prefernce for the most recent games (except when it comes to kirby)

still you never know, if sakurai knew about OR&AS during the games development there may yet be a hoenn stage
Yeah lol. Unfortunately it might be too late for ORAS at this point :(

I kind of wish Sakurai favored both old and new games as inspiration for stages. That's kind of my issue with the stage roster in the game overall. I would love a nice balance with the stage selection, doesn't need to be exactly 50/50, but give the old games some love too!

Last edited:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Temple is confirmed from the PotD now, alongside another look at The Great Cave Offensive stage.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
While the similarity is uncanny, the red/orange texture in the picture where Yoshi is jumping seems to be not part of the stage and seems added.

It's probably the Great cave Offensive, but... Dunno, this picture is as mysterious as the minecart picture.

The return of the Temple in HD glory makes me so happy.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Stages for each region? Hum... I'd go with this:
Kanto: Cerulean Cave
Jotho: Mt. Silver
Hoenn: Sootopolis City
Sinnoh: Distortion World/ Spear Pillar
Unova: Dragonspiral Tower
Kalos: Parfum Palace

Oh, and Meele's Temple confirmed as well...

Naoshi

For me, I'd like Kanto with Saffron City back and Johto with Burned Tower. I have no idea what would best represent Hoenn and its tropical theme. As for Sinnoh... hard to say, I kind of want to avoid overusing legendary Pokemon cliche, but Distortion World/Spear Pillar represents it best. I think Unova and Kalos got their perfect representations as is from 3DS.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
So in the POTD, they showed us about a new look at Great Cave Offensive and the return of Temple, but, one thing I've noticed was this:

It's a beach area, however we haven't had a stage take place durring a beach before. I checked it up with one of my friends at skype, where I did a little research, and found out this:

(picture edited so people could see it)

This raises many questions. Is the Pilotwings Stage, the stage that has revealed to be some plane ride, going to land anywhere? Or will we get a second Wuhu Island stage focused on Wii Sports Resort instead of Pilotwings Resort?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
So in the POTD, they showed us about a new look at Great Cave Offensive and the return of Temple, but, one thing I've noticed was this:

It's a beach area, however we haven't had a stage take place durring a beach before. I checked it up with one of my friends at skype, where I did a little research, and found out this:

(picture edited so people could see it)

This raises many questions. Is the Pilotwings Stage, the stage that has revealed to be some plane ride, going to land anywhere? Or will we get a second Wuhu Island stage focused on Wii Sports Resort instead of Pilotwings Resort?
I guess it's just a photoshop of Kirby on the beach, instead of an actual gameplay screenshot. Kirby and the two foods are not aligned, and the shadows are not in-game shadows.

Plus, the Pilotwings stage is only flying and never land.

Naoshi

I guess it's just a photoshop of Kirby on the beach, instead of an actual gameplay screenshot. Kirby and the two foods are not aligned, and the shadows are not in-game shadows.

Plus, the Pilotwings stage is only flying and never land.
Good call. Kirby's Shadow does not match up the game itself. He definitely looks pasted on.

Top Bottom