• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

zony514

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zoniken514
3DS FC
1633-5281-0428
Seeing how I don't have Melee, I would of loved if Flat Zone 1 was the stage for Mr. Game and Watch and not Brawl since I have Brawl, however It's possible that more DLC stages will come after the Miiverse stage, I'm hoping for...

Flat Zone 3
Magicant
Mute City

And maybe a R.O.B stage? But I have a feeling they'll treat Wrecking Crew stage as the R.O.B Stage like the Mario Bros. Stage from Brawl.

And It would be really weird if Congo Jungle 64 is the only 64 returning stage, if they only had to limit it to the 64 Melee stages, then I expect Yoshi's Island 64 and Dream Land 64 to come back.
Yeah, you may be right. Even if they say "we didn't have enough time" as a #1 (stupid) excuse, they can still appear as DLC if possible. They can still have much time making them I guess.

But if "we didn't have enough time" was their excuse...OH COME ON!!! You guys had perfectly a lot of freakin' time!! What were you all doing, busy taking funny pictures!?:mad:

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Yeah, you may be right. Even if they say "we didn't have enough time" as a #1 (stupid) excuse, they can still appear as DLC if possible. They can still have much time making them I guess.

But if "we didn't have enough time" was their excuse...OH COME ON!!! You guys had perfectly a lot of freakin' time!! What were you all doing, busy taking funny pictures!?:mad:
They were making two entire games, two freaking massive games, on two different systems. Though I WOULD have liked to see G&W's stage be Flat Zone 1 instead of 2. But hey, we can recreate it in the builder now!

And Id rather ROB not get a ROB universe stage. In my book, he already has one: Wrecking Crew. They seem to fit together really well!

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
They were making two entire games, two freaking massive games, on two different systems. Though I WOULD have liked to see G&W's stage be Flat Zone 1 instead of 2. But hey, we can recreate it in the builder now!

And Id rather ROB not get a ROB universe stage. In my book, he already has one: Wrecking Crew. They seem to fit together really well!
But wrecking crew is a mario stage. R.O.B. should get a Gyromite (or stackup) stage. Or at least make an NES remix stage and give that to him because it montages the NES.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Not having enough time is a reasonable excuse. You don't have all the time in the world to develop everything you want in a game. There are soooo much content that is packed in. We're talking like 51 characters, 80+ stages across both versions, loads of equips and customizations, various game modes, balance, QA, 2 separate versions (from different systems), etc etc etc

There is an amazing amount of stuff they've managed to fit in 2 years and a half.

It's very disappointing to seeing some franchises not getting the proper stage treatment with all that said though.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
But wrecking crew is a mario stage. R.O.B. should get a Gyromite (or stackup) stage. Or at least make an NES remix stage and give that to him because it montages the NES.
It is a mario stage, but isnt grouped in with the other mario stages on the selection screen. It looks to me more like an old school NES stage, while ROB is an old school NES character. Thats just me, though

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
It is a mario stage, but isnt grouped in with the other mario stages on the selection screen. It looks to me more like an old school NES stage, while ROB is an old school NES character. Thats just me, though
75 m is a DK stage (why so much construction NES), but it isn't with the rest of its franchises stages either.

zony514

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zoniken514
3DS FC
1633-5281-0428
Speaking of it...don't you think we have too much Mario stages for both Wii U and 3DS altogether? I know Mario is the face of Nintendo, but it seems unfair despite other franchises having less or none.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Speaking of it...don't you think we have too much Mario stages for both Wii U and 3DS altogether? I know Mario is the face of Nintendo, but it seems unfair despite other franchises having less or none.
You're saying 11 mario stages (not counting Yoshi, DK, Wario, and Wrecking Crew as part of the Mario series) is too many?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
SSB4 also treats Wrecking Crew as a seperate universe to Mario as denoted by its unique series icon

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
SSB4 also treats Wrecking Crew as a seperate universe to Mario as denoted by its unique series icon
Pilotwings and Wuhu Island are also different series despite both stages taking place on the exact same Island.

zony514

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zoniken514
3DS FC
1633-5281-0428
You're saying 11 mario stages (not counting Yoshi, DK, Wario, and Wrecking Crew as part of the Mario series) is too many?
Well sorry if I was rude, but it's just my doubtful opinions.
Don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean I don't like Mario because I'm also a fan of it alongside with Sonic and Mega Man (console wars brought great relationships), but it's just I felt 8 Mario characters and 11 Mario stages seems to be overly added than other franchises. Not to mention DK, Metroid, Zelda, Kirby, etc. didn't have new characters, while G&W and R.O.B. had no new stages, Pokemon do have 6 characters but still no chance against Mario franchise...well, it's just only me and I know I may be wrong. Mario is the main face of Nintendo and that can't be changed as I know, but things doesn't look balanced like it used to be.

Like I said, it's just only me, so no offense.:(

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
The more stages revealed the more my blood boils.

Flat Zone 2?
75 m?
Sky ****ing World!?!?

Like I know it's hard to work on two games but 18+ returning stages is asinine unless you're remastering the N64 stages there's no need for so much familiarity...

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Well sorry if I was rude, but it's just my doubtful opinions.
Don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean I don't like Mario because I'm also a fan of it alongside with Sonic and Mega Man (console wars brought great relationships), but it's just I felt 8 Mario characters and 11 Mario stages seems to be overly added than other franchises. Not to mention DK, Metroid, Zelda, Kirby, etc. didn't have new characters, while G&W and R.O.B. had no new stages, Pokemon do have 6 characters but still no chance against Mario franchise...well, it's just only me and I know I may be wrong. Mario is the main face of Nintendo and that can't be changed as I know, but things doesn't look balanced like it used to be.

Like I said, it's just only me, so no offense.:(
No you weren't rude, I was just really bad at sarcasm apparently, stupid internet. I think that Mario definitely got treated too well, especially if you count all of its sub series.

Acadian Flycatcher

Smash Journeyman
My only issue with the stage list (which i'm assuming is 100% completed by now) is that there are no new stages for Earthbound, F-Zero and Game & Watch. And no official stage for R.O.B..

I can deal with no Wind Waker inspired stage, I can deal with no Corneria, I can deal with only having one new stage for Kirby, Zelda, Donkey Kong and Pokemon, I can deal with no Nintendo Land stage, I can deal with Smashville coming back, but I can't deal with these 3 franchises (plus R.O.B.) not having a new stage.

I would be more than happy if Magicant and Mute City came over to the Wii U. They would look great in HD. Port Town Aero Dive still holds up visually, so the retro styled Mute City from the 3DS version would compliment it greatly. That way you can have F-Zero X & GX songs on Port Town Aero Dive, and the retro songs from SNES F-Zero on Mute City. I love Onett, but it looks disgusting... It's way too outdated compared to the other stages. Magicant or another brand new Earthbound stage would offer a more visually appealing stage for the franchise. Someone seeing the Mother series for the first time through Smash Bros would be completely underwhelmed. But if they pick up the 3DS version they would completely fall in love with the series simply because of Magicant.

Mr. Game & Watch got shafted this time around in terms of stages. Every other veteran franchise (besides R.O.B.) got at least one new stage in either the Wii U or 3DS version, except for Game & Watch. Kind of a lazy decision not to at least try for a Flat Zone 3.

R.O.B. could easily have a Gyromite inspired stage, I mean his emblem is for Gyromite. But I can understand how Wrecking Crew beat it out as the retro stage.

Oh and how many times can Smash Bros have the same god damn Donkey Kong song?!
I swear to god there are at least 7 versions of that song!

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I'm still holding out hope for this stage:

I want to finally be able to play VS matches there!!

Side note: Id really like there to be at least as many stages as there are characters. I loved the home stages idea from all-star in Melee and since Brawl I've been assigning them myself...

SuperGuzzi

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to ask this but, do we know what's the toon link's stage in the Wii U version?

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I'm still holding out hope for this stage:

I want to finally be able to play VS matches there!!

Side note: Id really like there to be at least as many stages as there are characters. I loved the home stages idea from all-star in Melee and since Brawl I've been assigning them myself...
Stage Builder is your friend!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...I'd love to see the Metal Mario stage back. Maybe I can decently create it in the Stage Builder. I did so in Brawl's(which was still a pretty good stage builder, despite being a bit bareboned at times. I only disliked the revolving platforms. I couldn't use two for the Kongo Jungle 64 stage. >_>)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I feel like Fountain of Dreams will be back, Kongo Jungle 64 came back, and we hasn't seen Fountain of Dreams music yet. And DK has 3 stages and Kirby received better stage representation then DK on the 3DS version. I feel like they will have equal stage representation kinda like how Metroid and DK had equal stage representation in Brawl.

I also think Pokemon will get another stage, MAYBE Pkmn Stadium 1 or Saffron City but I think a new stage is more likely due to Stadium 1 being unlikely since PokeFloats plays on 2 while many of the pokemon from Saffron City are normal pokeball pokemon. I think this because Zelda & Pokemon have always had equal stage representation.

König Nickerchen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoenigNickerchen
Looks like this is the final stage roster!!!
I´m sure the last one is from Wind Waker.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Sorry to ask this but, do we know what's the toon link's stage in the Wii U version?
At this point there is none as far as we know.

Looks like this is the final stage roster!!!
I´m sure the last one is from Wind Waker.
The placement is off. Why would a Zelda stage appear on the line above? Maybe the roster just, y'know, doesn't fill in every slot? Like in the character roster? The only franchise that shifts down to the next line is Mario. That stage in the second row is probably another new Mario stage, or a DK stage (although I honestly can't imagine DK getting a second new stage and Zelda only having one new stage).

Perhaps it'll be a standalone stage.

EDIT: Based on this lineup, I don't think there's a single new stage we don't know about yet. All of the unlockable stages that aren't returning stages were announced prior. My guess is that stage up top, if there is one, is Mushroom Kingdom 1/2.

EDIT 2: I think the Miiverse stage is the stage that will be added in the top row. Its basically just Battlefield anyway.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh and how many times can Smash Bros have the same god damn Donkey Kong song?!
I swear to god there are at least 7 versions of that song!
Brawl still holds out for the most remixes ever of one song, its main theme. Which notably is often why some people dislike the theme. It's a great one, imo, but not when you hear it remixes over 20 times.

It's a bit annoying when so many unique songs were left out. Metal Battle or even the original Metal Mario theme... but I just dislike overdoing remixes. I can get behind having the original in its 8-bit or whatever glory and a nice updated version. Maybe a 3rd version too. But that should be the max amount, imo.

Naoshi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bGQ1BsLlzn8#t=132

The Octopus pic might as well be this stage. The water in the flooded room is very similar to the one in the picture. If anyone can find a better footage of this very part of the stage, I'd appreciate it!

It's definitely not the Wind Waker level as the water is more stylized and it wouldn't have lowres textures like that. The Wind Waker water is also non-transparent, unlike this.

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bGQ1BsLlzn8#t=132

The Octopus pic might as well be this stage. The water in the flooded room is very similar to the one in the picture. If anyone can find a better footage of this very part of the stage, I'd appreciate it!

It's definitely not the Wind Waker level as the water is more stylized and it wouldn't have lowres textures like that. The Wind Waker water is also non-transparent, unlike this.
Its definitely not the Mushroom Kingdom U stage the Back Ground of the Octopus Pic is a very bland no colour Pictochat Sort of thing. The Mushroom Kingdom U Level's castle wall is detailed and different colour shade to it so Its not it but I wonder what it is!

EDIT:
Hey Guys look at this!
The Background perfectly matches! which means It has to be GAW Stage But which GAW Game is it? Well I remembered this GAW As soon as I saw this pic in coloration to the Octopus Pic!
Not only do I think its this stage but also the fact that Having Octopus there would be a reference to how it was in the Actual Game and Watch Game!

Last edited:

Naoshi

Its definitely not the Mushroom Kingdom U stage the Back Ground of the Octopus Pic is a very bland no colour Pictochat Sort of thing. The Mushroom Kingdom U Level's castle wall is detailed and different colour shade to it so Its not it but I wonder what it is!
When you turn into the octopus, the background changes to that color. Of course normally you would still see some detail of the background, at least in Brawl. But it seems this time the background of detailed is completely obscured by the greyish fade that occurs when you're an octopus.

Also notice how the water doesn't go far in the distance in the octopus pic, as if it is in some room instead of out in the ocean... The NSMBU stage is inside a room too.

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
When you turn into the octopus, the background changes to that color. Of course normally you would still see some detail of the background, at least in Brawl.

Also notice how the water doesn't go far in the distance in the octopus pic, as if it is in some room instead of out in the ocean... The NSMBU stage is inside a room too.
I'm still going with the idea its Octopus As a Stage sure the Background goes a Whitish colour but Even on Pictochat you could still see what was going on in the Background.

Naoshi

I'm still going with the idea its Octopus As a Stage sure the Background goes a Whitish colour but Even on Pictochat you could still see what was going on in the Background.
I don't think this is the case. Notice how all the elements of the G&W stages stays true to their flat design. They wouldn't be using real water for a G&W stage.

Plus, we've already seen Flat Zone 2, which is shown when you go fighting G&W to unlock him. I don't think we're going to see a new G&W stage this time :(

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
I don't think this is the case. Notice how all the elements of the G&W stages stays true to their flat design. They wouldn't be using real water for a G&W stage.
Maybe the dev team just thought it looked really odd having swimmable and Non-Swimmable water looking like Blue Strips? It could just be a Updated design I mean Look At Octopus Dance on Nintendo Land but its not like they can't break off traditions remember the Last strip on Ness's shirt? :p

EDIT : (At 1:16 in the vid)
We finally have Kongo Jungle 64 Gameplay It looks Like it stays very true to the original Here's Hoping we get more 64 Stages! :D

Last edited:

Naoshi

Maybe the dev team just thought it looked really odd having swimmable and Non-Swimmable water looking like Blue Strips? It could just be a Updated design I mean Look At Octopus Dance on Nintendo Land but its not like they can't break off traditions remember the Last strip on Ness's shirt? :p
Using Ness's last strip as a counter argument is incredibly trivial.

I don't think it's the G&W stage. The water looks a lot like the NSMBU flood, the fact the mysterious pic looks like it takes place in a room is also strong evidence for the NSMBU stage since it's in a small room as well. Octopus Dance doesn't take place in a Game & Watch system. Your argument earlier was that the background is from a Game and Watch handheld, they would not clash art designs with actual water and old LCD handheld art.

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Using Ness's last strip as a counter argument is incredibly trivial.

I don't think it's the G&W stage. The water looks a lot like the NSMBU flood, the fact the mysterious pic looks like it takes place in a room is also strong evidence for the NSMBU stage since it's in a small room as well. Octopus Dance doesn't take place in a Game & Watch system. Your argument earlier was that the background is from a Game and Watch handheld, they would not clash art designs with actual water and old LCD handheld art.
True True Eh I'm not Really sure what to think its such a incredibly Bland and Null Background it could be from anything. Probably that I more want it to be Octopus/Have no idea what else I could be BUT If some how it turns out to be Octopus I'll be extremely happy!, not holding my breath though Guess I'll just have to wait till Bean Man Unlocks all the stages to see what this stage is or if its just the NSMBU Stage :p

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Can we just be real for a second here? I love Onett but it looks so ugly and dated in this game?
I just want Magicant back :(

König Nickerchen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoenigNickerchen

This way I never think before, it could the the Mushroom Kingdom Stage. O.O The water similar but the only problem is the background isn´t so grey. The only background thas similar is the GW Stage. But there is no water. It´s really weird.

Naoshi

This way I never think before, it could the the Mushroom Kingdom Stage. O.O The water similar but the only problem is the background isn´t so grey. The only background thas similar is the GW Stage. But there is no water. It´s really weird.
Once again, the octopus final smash makes the background greyish. Although this image shows the grey fog completely obscures the room background. Which is kind of unusual.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I really hope this isnt the full stage list. Brawl had 12 unlockable stages, Im hoping for the same amount here (so 6 more unlockable stages)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I really hope this isnt the full stage list. Brawl had 12 unlockable stages, Im hoping for the same amount here (so 6 more unlockable stages)
Well, with the two versions combined there are twelve unlockables (assuming there's one more unlockable stage we don't know about yet).

Top Bottom