• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

dark-war-cloud

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, i have been kinda getting back into smash...
So i was wondering, are there any upcoming tournaments that are worth going to?

Book!

Smash Journeyman
Deku we usually get started 6-7pm. I am going to be pretty busy this weekend, but I would like to play some Melee. Hopefully we can get a decent turnout.

Are we going to do Wheeler again, or are people leaning towards another location?

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
i would really like to go but i already got off for the 21-22 for NO KOAST and I can't get off for both of those weekends :\

how many people are going to the kirksville tourney? how many no koast? i could cancel my weekend for no koast and go to kirksville instead, but that depends on how many people would want to go, since i was planning on driving to the NO KOAST tourney and taking legan and some others with me.

NetteThomson

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I know it's been forever, but I've been craving smash. I've been out of practice for the last 6 months, but I know I could still take any of you.

Where are you guys gonna be Friday? Too lazy to read previous posts.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Fred, Deku, anybody:

We'll be at my place, an apartment/dorm/whatever on the loop near Blueberry Hill. A previous post has directions, or you can just call me at (270)-366-4940. You will need me or someone inside to open a door for you. We'll probably start around 5:30, definitely by 6.

As for tonight, I have WUGS at 9 and a really short meeting at 4, but all the time in-between is free.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Just so STL knows, a Tatsunko vs Capcom player named Kurasa(Good buddy of mine) is looking to rent a venue out within the near future, and asked me and my buddy Kim Bo Slyce to host the Brawl section, if we can get enough set ups(You guys should bring some when this comes about), I will see for Melee too. If time/set ups allow, it shouldn't be a problem. This is going to be a huge fighting game tourney, so I wanna' see some familiar faces.(So Legan, if the lights are off, come and see me.)

/racism.

Nuris

Smash Lord
Is anyone going/willing to play on Wash U campus tonight? I'm kinda bored and I can bring a set-up.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Deku-

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=217989

Boss places 5th out of 29 using Mario/luigi

Marios soooooooooooooooooo good

Nuris I dont think anything can counter pikachu besides being having isai-like skills lol

Edit: also inui, who mains metaknight+ snake argues snake>>>meta in that thread. See Legan its not just metal who thinks that. I agree too, you just think metaknights dumb cause he has a better matchup against Link than snake does.

Book!

Smash Journeyman
Phil/Nuris, I would be interested in playing a bit today. Give me a call when you are free (this is Zach). I can come over to your dorm whenever.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
...and asked me and my buddy Kim Bo Slyce to host the Brawl section, if we can get enough set ups(You guys should bring some when this comes about)...
When would this be? We have tourneys on the 14th, 15th and 21st already...

Schedule is getting packed, man.

MetalMusicMan

Snake is much better than Metaknight. If you think that Metaknight is "more broken" than Snake, then you are probably either:

A) Just blindly following tier lists
B) Going with the flow and crying about MetaKnight with NO REAL BASIS for it like 90% of the sheeply smash population already does
C) Uninformed or unexperienced with the matchups
D) Biased because of either character's matchup against your own

MetaKnight isn't even that bad. He's lightweight and his gimps / KO's are very avoidable in comparison.

Snake on the other hand has no way of being stopped from pressuring you via constant grenade spam and ridiculous tilt range. He also has much more solid KO options as well as infinitely better survival odds.

Bring on the flames, if you disagree, you're still wrong. :) lawl

Nuris

Smash Lord
Well, I mostly use Jigglypuff against Pikachu because that ****ed rat is too light and small to be combo'd but too ****ing fat to be killed as easily as Puff or Kirby. Also, every time I play C. Falcon, Fox, or Link it's like, get grabbed and you die (poor recovery FTL). If I get frustrated I just go DK.

Zach, I'm willing to play for a bit. Maybe we could convince some other people to come and play doubles. Melee doubles are my favorite :D

EDIT: Have to go grocery shopping and shower first. Can maybe play around 6 or 7?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Phone update: I can't call Pat, and Pat can't call me. Technical difficulties message. Toga, if you are still coming, I will be constantly watching out the window just in case.

Snake is much better than Metaknight. If you think that Metaknight is "more broken" than Snake, then you are probably either:

A) Just blindly following tier lists
B) Going with the flow and crying about MetaKnight with NO REAL BASIS for it like 90% of the sheeply smash population already does
C) Uninformed or unexperienced with the matchups
D) Biased because of either character's matchup against your own

MetaKnight isn't even that bad. He's lightweight and his gimps / KO's are very avoidable in comparison.

Snake on the other hand has no way of being stopped from pressuring you via constant grenade spam and ridiculous tilt range. He also has much more solid KO options as well as infinitely better survival odds.

Bring on the flames, if you disagree, you're still wrong. :) lawl
I think MK is way overrated, but Snake is just as overrated and MK is definitely still the single best character by some margin. Don't get me wrong, Snake counters MK, but Snake is extremely punishable in the air, and doubly so off-stage.

I'd love to argue more, but I'm gonna go watch out the window now, in case toga's there.

Edit: Seems I can reach Toga by phone even if I still can't reach JGALT.

Snake's seemingly biggest advantages, nade and tilt spam, become vastly less significant once you get used to playing him. Experience helps more agaisnt Snake than any other character in the game, hands down.

Book!

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, 6-7 is fine. Just give me a ring as I will probably not check the forums again.

Radium88

Smash Lord
If anybody is playing tonight, I'd like to come. Phil, if you're going to be there, then text me something. I'll be in class until around 8, but I might check the forums after class and see if you guys are going to smash tonight.

MetalMusicMan

I ended up getting off work early so if anyone wants to smash at my place tonight / now, I'm down to. It's just me and my room mate at the moment but whoever wants to can come.

Just shoot me a text message or PM or whatever.

Chezzles

Smash Journeyman

Maybe I'm naive, but what separates Snake's projectile spam from R.O.B.'s projectile spam? I'd agree that Snake has more kill options, but I honestly don't think that that is enough to make him significantly better than R.O.B.

Not to start a war, just want your opinion :D

JGALT

Smash Cadet
Ugh. Stupid Paducah and it's Icepocalypse somehow destroying communication. Anyway, Thinkaman, I take it you will be at WUGDs, and I will try to meet up with you. Is it in the DUC or the 40 location today?

MetalMusicMan

Maybe I'm naive, but what separates Snake's projectile spam from R.O.B.'s projectile spam? I'd agree that Snake has more kill options, but I honestly don't think that that is enough to make him significantly better than R.O.B.

Not to start a war, just want your opinion :D
There is no war, only friendly arguments! :) So no biggie.

Anyway, Snake's projectile spam is vastly different and far superior to ROB's spam, in my opinion.

ROB spam is really good, but Snake spam is far worse due to how hard it is to predict and how much more taxing it is on your shield. Snake also does a crap-ton more damage than ROB in a much shorter time frame.

ROB's spam is much more easily spot dodged / shielded because it is a single shot and not a bouncy, hard to predict explosive. ROB lasers also can't kill you unless you are pretty close to the edge already. The Gyro can, but it is much easier to dodge and predict and he can only have one out at a time.

ROB's laser also has to recharge to be fully effective, whereas Snake can have 2 grenades out instantly at any given moment with no cooldown time to speak of.

...but most importantly, ROB cannot hold a grenade that explodes when you attack him, punishing you for even trying to punish him.

Chezzles

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, maybe I just haven't played a really good Snake yet, but it seems like ROB's projectiles are a lot more of a nuisance than Snake's grenades are. Though his grenades can frustrate you if you try to approach, they also explode on him too, so assuming you lay an attack on Snake he still picks up that damage. But yeah, his tilts are really good and superior to ROB's.

Also, Snake's recovery is hell of predictable and punishable; ROB definitely has him in that department.

Maybe I'm just biased; Fox's laaaazors cut through that grenade mess like a hot knife through buttah after all XD

Teh Future

Smash Master
I dunno, maybe I just haven't played a really good Snake yet, but it seems like ROB's projectiles are a lot more of a nuisance than Snake's grenades are. Though his grenades can frustrate you if you try to approach, they also explode on him too, so assuming you lay an attack on Snake he still picks up that damage. But yeah, his tilts are really good and superior to ROB's.

Also, Snake's recovery is hell of predictable and punishable; ROB definitely has him in that department.
Snakes grenades are ridiculous. R.O.B.s projectiles, on the other hand, are only useful against certain characters and even then there is stuff that can be done about it.

You cannot punish a snake that is dropping grenades and running away. If you do manage, like you said, he takes the percentage as well, but you are not going to bet a snake by matching him percent, considering you will die at around 100-120% with an average character and he dies at 150+.

Snakes recovery is not that big of a deal with players than play him well, theres a lot of stuff they can do to prevent from being gimped, and even if they do get gimped, they can come back by hitting you with an ftilt that comes out faster than metaknights dsmash and one grenade. he only hit you twice? you're still at 50%.

Book!

Smash Journeyman
What's up Phil? Too busy tonight?

Wheeler tomorrow would be good, at least for the Melee group. Sounds like Kyle's things are usually Brawl.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Same place as last week, as has been said over and over. It's right off the loop by Blueberry Hill, previous posts have more exact directions and phone number.

We'd play Melee at my place if anyone who showed up wanting to play Melee, since we have multiple setups. Last time we were waiting for Binyan and Geno to set up Melee, but neither showed up. (We eventually played some Melee anyway when it was obvious they weren't coming.)

Book!

Smash Journeyman
I have a lot of studying to do this weekend and would rather not go all the way to the Loop to play. Looks like we will have a smaller Melee group meeting in Wheeler.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I'll be going to Wheeler since Kyle's place apparently has some sort of ancient Harry Potter-esque charm placed upon it that prevents me from going there.

Actually I feel like I should practice Melee a little bit since I want to go to SMYM. People who prefer Brawl can go to Kyle's and not have to fight for setups.

May not be at Wheeler until like 7:30 PM though.

Top Bottom