• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
For all those under the arch or under its shadow, here's a place to discuss nearby tournies and all around tom foolery.

-Zig

MuBa

Smash Lord
Lol under the arch...Anyways I think I found an awesome place for the smash tournament, but I'm not gonna reveal it just yet. Gotta talk to the peeps and my oh-so-rude-and-lack-of-courtesy doubles partner/hostess first and THEN I'll say something.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Toga, Andy, Sandwraith, Apollo and I all play (irregularly) at WashU. Anyone who wants to practice, leave a message here or PM me.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Well I won't be back in St. Louis until January 15-16 (when school starts). Hit up Geno for practice.

nikePK

Smash Journeyman
I know its long in advance, but Muba said Feb. 16th for next tourney. I think we all need to get together and play before that date comes around =)

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Im gonna wait until after new years before I even think about smash again. My girlfriend is coming from college for a week or so, so I wont make it to any of the northern smasher's christmas smash things.

There's also this st.louis tourny supposadly coming up, but it sounds shady. I'll spread the word more if I find any reason to advise any of you go.

MuBa

Smash Lord
I wish I lived in St. Louis.

<3 that City...
You're kidding right? :confused:
Anyways, I've decided that we'll have a tournament at February 16th. Now if only my numbskull cohostess (is that even a word?) would discuss with me where it should be held.

And I'm NOT gonna do it in that church! Waaaay too small!

Oh btw TTT, how'd that beer pong thing go? Oh and I wanna scold your Samus.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
Feb 16th is fine with me. muba go ahead and book the location u found..where is it anyway? oh and we should meet up w/ geno and play earthbound..he's never played it lol

MuBa

Smash Lord
Well Sam the thing is I need your help to book the place before somebody else does, plus I'm not that great at talking to people like you are.

Oh and don't tell anyone yet where it's gonna be held (If we'll be able to host it) . I'd like to make it a surprise!

I really wanna make this a memorable tournament if I can book that place.

And merry X-mas to you all!

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
You're kidding right? :confused:
No. I've been there only once, and I loved the city. I don't know what it was, but the aura of it was amazing. I hope to live there one day.

:068:

MuBa

Smash Lord
you better all be at my place this weekend!
I'll see what I can do. I think Geno and Sam are gonna be busy those days, especially Geno. Everyone's been getting screwed over by work, including me. Lixivium, Wale, Andy are all out of town atm...dunno about Zig, Random, and his crew....

And oh yea, Geno needs to know what Earthbound is all about! That game was very....interesting....and....doesn't make sense...but it was hilarious! Mr. Saturn for the win! POING!!!!

Also Geno we gotta beat Megaman X3! And you have to see the Terminator Sigma boss in 6.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
No. I've been there only once, and I loved the city. I don't know what it was, but the aura of it was amazing. I hope to live there one day.

:068:
St.Louis is one of my favorite places on Earth. The crap people give it about being a crime city is unbelievably overblown. Its one of the friendliest and nicest places to be, and thats coming from someone who used to live there, and now lives nearby.

Also, come to a STL tourny!

MuBa

Smash Lord
St. Louis is boring as hell....there's really nothing much to do...honestly...The arch, 6 Flags, St. Louis Science Center, The Zoo....that's about it.

University City is okay....it's just like any other urban places in America.

And one more thing about St. Louis you guys should know...St. Louis has the MOST traffic lights in any city in America, which SUCKS!

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
St. Louis is boring as hell....there's really nothing much to do...honestly...The arch, 6 Flags, St. Louis Science Center, The Zoo....that's about it.

University City is okay....it's just like any other urban places in America.!
All of that sounds 20x better than anything in Wisconsin.

EDIT: :068:

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord

University City is okay....it's just like any other urban places in America.

And one more thing about St. Louis you guys should know...St. Louis has the MOST traffic lights in any city in America, which SUCKS!
Thats why you need to tavel Muba! I havent been very far east, but Ive been to many other states. St.Louis is my favorite north american city, followed by Pittsburgh and Chicago.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
St. Louis has some word class stuff that nobody knows about - Zoo, Botanical Gardens, Symphony, etc.

The crime thing is overblown; there are shady neighborhoods in every city. The allergy season bothers me way more than the crime rate.

MuBa

Smash Lord
Maybe it's the fact that I live there and you don't could be a reason why we have different opinions about St. Louis.

But anyways Sam tell me what days you are off so that way we can go to that one place and check out if we can host a tournament there. Just tell me as soon as possible b/c we are on a time constraint, plus I think they still have the lights there, might as well enjoy it while we're at it^_^

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
Are any of you going to the Eureka tourney?
Since nobody seems to be in the last STL tourney thread...How about carpooling to Keokuk? I mean that's the only way I could go. =/

BTW I think STL is great too. Nothing negative that I've seen. ^_^

SamDvds

Smash Ace
Muba I can't see any days i have off until this holiday temp job is over with. and st.louis is okay..ive been to better cities like LA and Miami, but i just like those cuz im into the whole entertainment thing. The Loop is a great place to go and u city isn't really an 'urban' area...its just more mixed than any other county. Also the Galleria is a cool place 2 hang sumtimes. and most of the crime records are coming from east stl.

dmac

Smash Champion
you guys should travel a billion hours and goto that nebraska tourney <_<_<_<_<

also, wasn't st louis the most violent city in 2006 or something like that....

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I think I'll be getting back to St. Louis on Sunday the 14th (same day as the Eureka Tourney unfortunately).

Anybody want to play on the 15th?

SandWraith

Smash Cadet
Wow, you guys are pretty intense to drive 6 hours. Umm... <3 ?

EDIT: I'm supposed to get back the 14th as well, Lix. I'll give you a call on the 15th if I have time.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
its only like 6 hours, we did it for them :(
I was surprised to see that Omaha was "only" 6 hours away. I thought it'd be further...south (no Geography Bee for me)

Unfortunately I'll be in Nashville on the 6th, so there's no thought of going to this, but I was still impressed you guys came all the way out for NFC3.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
I never though to look here for nearby smashers. I live about a half hour away from good ol' STL.

But, I'm not that great of a smasher, and it would be almost a waste to drive a half hour to a tournament. :\ I need a good tutor...

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
Honestly the best way (well, the fastest way) to improve is to go to tourneys. Of course beforehand you should look around SWF for....about everything, and practice.
Also note that learning via tourney won't work if you don't believe in 'trial by fire.' Heh heh.

o_O My first tourney was 3+ hours away, and I've gone as far as 7. So I don't think 30 minutes will be too bad for ya.

^_^ There is a tourney Jan 14th you could go to, in Eureka. I seriously suggest going and enjoying the experience, if nothing else.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Eureka? That's not too far from me...closer than STL anyway.

Sorry for my noobishness, but what is SWF and 'trial by fire'? :p

The thing is, I have two years until I can drive without my parents. The other thing is, I wouldn't last very long in a tournament, I just want to know some players that might be able to teach me some things. If you want to see how horrible my playing is, go here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=93531

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I used to drive 35 minutes every Thursday to take piano lessons...but I guess it seems a lot further if you can't drive by yourself.

The next tournament in St. Louis will probably be in mid February, you should make an effort to attend. I can personally vouch for Smooth_One's DRASTIC improvement after attending just one tournament. Guaranteed results!

Leave a note here if you want to get some practice before then. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone around here who plays Young Link (I tried a bit but I can't use him well at all).

"SWF" = Smash World Forums. You're here already.

"Trial by fire" = Going to a tournament without having played tourney-level people. You will get *****, but there's still no better way to learn than to just play good people.

MuBa

Smash Lord
Yep. February 16th is my target date to host yet another smash tournament.

As for the location, Sam and I will try to find a time to go out and see a suitable place to host a tournament, seeing as how our schedule is retardingly busy....we should be able to get time to check some places out a week before school starts...(dunno how long her temp job is) or at least discuss while travelling to the Eureka tournament.

I swear...everyone's working their butt off after the holidays, and all it's been doing is making people crankier by the minute.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Oh. I always just though this board was the Smash Boards. XD Geez...

Yeah, I'll probably get *****. (Why does everyone use ****?) Recently I tried a level 9 again, and I still have trouble on them. Heck, I even lost once because I was so used to training mode...

I'm wondering: How much does it cost to attend? Is there any "free" time after the tournament when players just play, for free? Also, how old is everyone? A 14 year-old might seem kinda odd among a bunch of college kids. o_0

MuBa

Smash Lord
Oh. I always just though this board was the Smash Boards. XD Geez...

Yeah, I'll probably get *****. (Why does everyone use ****?) Recently I tried a level 9 again, and I still have trouble on them. Heck, I even lost once because I was so used to training mode...

I'm wondering: How much does it cost to attend? Is there any "free" time after the tournament when players just play, for free? Also, how old is everyone? A 14 year-old might seem kinda odd among a bunch of college kids. o_0
It depends on how many people bring their setups. But usually the tournament takes all day long so technically we don't have much free time to play. Even if we do, people will start doing money matches, so you can quickly get on with some friendlies to get experience.

I wouldn't recommend playing against a Level 9 CPU at all. Humans playing the game is SO much more different and complex than a CPU. If you're going to play against one, I'd say Level 1 CPU would be best, only to practice with chain throws and combos.

As for the costs, at an average base it'd be $10-15 for singles, and $20-30 for teams.

And don't worry about your age. The game is suppose to be for everyone, so just jump right in and enjoy playing smash.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
$10 seems like a lot if I'm not going to do very well. I just want to play some good players. Don't players knocked out of the tournament get to play for fun?

Top Bottom