• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

Lixivium

Smash Champion
$10 seems like a lot if I'm not going to do very well. I just want to play some good players. Don't players knocked out of the tournament get to play for fun?
LOL, tournaments aren't supposed to be free. You could show up and not actually enter the tournament, play no moneymatches, bring a box lunch, etc, but trust me, the full experience is well worth the entry fee. And who knows, you might surprise yourself.

There IS free play at every tournament though. Even if you don't enter, tournaments generally last all day. When you're at one, just go around and look for a TV that's not being used for tourney or money matches. Ask people at the TV, or whoever you want, if they want to play a match. If you're looking to play a specific person, leave a note or PM him/her here on Smashboards.

For the last tournament at the Gathering Grounds, we had sort of a practice session and crew battles at Genoblast's house the night before. It'll probably happen again, and you can also get practice there, but in your case I doubt your parents would drive you out to St. Louis twice, or let a 14 year old kid stay overnight out of town.

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
$10 seems like a lot if I'm not going to do very well. I just want to play some good players. Don't players knocked out of the tournament get to play for fun?
^_^ $10 isn't much at all for what you'll get when you go to a tourney.
You won't have any problems facing good Smashers, even when/if you're knocked out. Tourneys, in my experiences, end after 10 PM, so you have tons of time to play anyone you want.
You'll get better at the game, you'll make friends, you'll be exposed to the Smash community, you'll have many many people to Smash with...And if there's housing it gets even better.

Lixivium said:
The next tournament in St. Louis will probably be in mid February, you should make an effort to attend. I can personally vouch for Smooth_One's DRASTIC improvement after attending just one tournament. Guaranteed results!
The only place you can go from down is up. ;)

applejack

Smash Journeyman
Smooth_One said:
The only place you can go from down is up.
Not true. I think I proved that you can go from down to further down. Then you blow up in bright colors with a death scream.

Eureka is still up in the air for me. But I am pretty sure Feb would be good (what is it called again? Romantic beatdown?)

Pyro, I would just practice small things. Divide a SHFFL into small parts. First learn to short hop, then fast fall, then L-cancel. Learn to wavedash once then just practice using it in a match.
You have to learn to walk before you can run.
though I still limp.
If you get there early you can get about an hour of friendlies, just be sure to share the setup.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
You can just play for fun before the tourney?

I've mostly gotten SHFFL down, though not perfected. And I never have any humans to play to practice it. :(

Anyway, where do I find out more about this tourney? I might be able to convince my parents to bring me. And then mabye I'll tell my friends about it, though they're at my level or lower in skill. :\ I could get ***** with my friends! XD (That sounds so wrong)

SamDvds

Smash Ace
Don't worry about not doing well...i've co-hosted 2 tourneys and gone to 3 others and i never expect to do well...its still fun though just to see how u stack up compared to the really good players. i walk away from every tourney learning at least 1 new tactic for my character(s)

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
^_^ Sam has a good point. The most important part is to learn and grow and have fun, rather than win.
Example: At the last tourney I went to I learned a flashy Sheik trick from Sam, though I won't say it if she doesn't want me to. =P

Pyro, you could PM who(m?)ever is hosting the Eureka tourney for details (also there should be a thread here in the Midwest). And I think MuBa or Sam would know the most about the Feb 16th tourney?

Echo

Smash Champion
Febuary 16th, huh? Dont think anything is happenin so I'll look into maybe comin ^-^ hopefully theres not a massive snowstorm or something.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
I am totally getting free time sometime in the near future! I guess I should start getting in the groove again after a couple weeks off.

A

acecosmit

Hey Guys! I go to SLU and have basically met up and defeated many of the Super Smashers here- I need a new challenge and some fresh blood to match up against. I'd be interested in practicing with some of you guys if you'd like.
Hit me up.
Ace.

MuBa

Smash Lord
I already got my revenge against your Marth. I'm happy. But we should smash together sometime...

Once I find a suitable date for a smash tournament...and a better place than that CHURCH that co-host of mine was talking about.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Hey guys, for the Eureka tournmant, when does it START? It says sign-in is 1:30, but what does that mean? And also, when does it end? If I get knocked out of the tournament, can I still stay and play with other people at the other TV's?

Sorry, this is my first tournament, and I'm confused. :\

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Hey Guys! I go to SLU and have basically met up and defeated many of the Super Smashers here- I need a new challenge and some fresh blood to match up against. I'd be interested in practicing with some of you guys if you'd like.
Hit me up.
Ace.
Come to the Eureka Tournament on the 14th, if you can:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=91552

Can you come down to WashU to play? I guess it wouldn't be so hard now that the Metrolink is finished. There are some good people there for sure (Andy is probably best in St. Louis).

nikePK

Smash Journeyman
i think i'm going to go to that Eureka tourney, Lixi. Thanks for linking to it... I probably wouldn't have checked it out otherwise lol.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
i think i'm going to go to that Eureka tourney, Lixi. Thanks for linking to it... I probably wouldn't have checked it out otherwise lol.
Dang it, I'm not looking forward to having to play that Jigglypuff of yours (everybody hates playing Jigglypuff). With any luck Dekuscrub or someone else will do the honors for me.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Hey Lix, it looks like I'm actually flying back the 13th! Any chance I could get a ride with you to the Eureka tourney?

That is, assuming the weather doesn't screw this all up (a "one-in-maybe-15- to 25-year" ice storm is supposed to hit St. Louis):: http://www.cnn.com/2007/WEATHER/01/12/ice.storm/index.html
I won't be arrive in St. Louis until ~1 PM. If anybody else from St. Louis is going you should probably get a ride with them.

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
uh sand its possible i could give you a ride. would it like be from your house or what?

hope you guys are ready for Eureka...ive been practicinggggggg

also if anyone wants to go to that Keokuk Iowa tournament i will probably be going and i can carpool/drive if you guys wanna meet somewhere. Anyone up for it?

SandWraith

Smash Cadet
Deku-- That'd be awesome if I could get a ride with you! I'm at WashU (you know where that is, right?). I'll PM you my cell number and stuff.

Woot woot. Looks like I can still go to the tourney. :D

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Is anyone here bringing a video camera? If you are, I'd really like someone to tape me so I could put it up here and ask for suggestions in my playing style.

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
Deku man it would be my honor to carpool to Keokuk with you.
Any ideas when you'll be leaving/coming back to STL? PM me or post here when you know please. ^_^

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Im playing smash with some of the alton guys for the first time in a couple weeks. Ive been really busy.

Also, freaking They Might Be Giants are playing a free show in st.louis for mardi gras! Who wants to go ;)

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
They're charging an hourly charge in Eureka! >_< I'm not sure I want to go at all now.

SandWraith

Smash Cadet
My flight to St. Louis was cancelled today, so I'm definitely not getting in until at least the morning. In other words, I probably won't be joining you guys at the tourney. Have fun though.

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Seriously, an hourly charge?
Hopefully they'll take your advice on taking a cut of the entrance fees, Lixi. >_<

Cups

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I live around st. charles but go to school in KC. I'll let you guys know when I get back into town for some smash.

nikePK

Smash Journeyman
they would charge an hourly fee to use THEIR equipment OUTSIDE of the tournament. If you are on your own set, it doesn't matter. Also, they're giving free play before the tourney regardless of who's set you are on....

EDIT: Okay, after having played in the tourney, here's what I have to say about the place and all of it:

The turnout was really small. 12 players, only 3-4 of us actually being any good. However, the place is reaaaaally nice guys. Its got quite a bit of room. A ton of chairs, with some of them being office chairs (sweet!). The owner and the helper (the guy that actually posts on the boards) are super nice and are really looking forward to hosting another tourney, and even hosting tournaments EVERY MONTH.

To me guys, that is very cool. They just want to provide some enjoyment for us and make a little money for themselves. Nothing wrong with that. We all need to get in on this, as it would be a lot of fun. Also, it'll help expand the smash community even further, as there were a lot of kids there that saw Toga and I play and were like "whoa how's he doing that?" Definitely potential to expand the player base.

Anyway, what I"m trying to say is that its a great location with cool people running the show. They are very open to the way we run things (level selections, rounds, stock...etc) and things will be really fun I think if they do it once a month.

Make sure you guys attend the next one... it can easily get an attendance of over 40. They'll be posting on the boards whenever they know a date for the next one.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
I went to it too. It was awesome! I'm probably one of the ones that weren't very good. :p

Were you the one that won the tourney?

I wanted to play one of the winners so they could give me some tips on how to improve my game, but I wasn't able too... they were always playing. :(

Oh yeah, and someone played a MEAN Link in the finals...who was that?

Togaboy

Smash Apprentice
The eureka tournament went all right. It's unfortunate that the weather hurt the final turnout. Mostly kids from the immediate area who hadn't played much smash were contenders, save PK, his friend, and one or two others. I BBgames' bimonthly tourneys develop into something awesome. PK and I need some real competition. Lixi, Andy, geno, wale and more should come to the next (zig?).

Hope to see more next time.

Toga

p.s. if anyone wants to smash in the st louis area tomorrow (monday) give me a reply or IM at lest we contrive.

MuBa

Smash Lord
Toga, call me tomorrow for smash. I may be able to make it, but I get out of work at 6 though...so I should be there at the right time.

And as for the tournament in Eureka, I wasn't able to go X_x...but I think it's worth taking a trip there to see if we can host our tourney there. But we're gonna try to find a cost effective place so we can make the prize pot bigger.

nikePK

Smash Journeyman
Pyrotek, just introduce yourself next time man! We would've been happy to give you tips if you just ask lol!

No, I wasn't the one that won, that was Toga. And he also used the crazy Link in the finals.... I got served hard that game haha.

Also, Muba, I'm sure if you talked to the guys there about holding a big tourney (with out of staters and whatnot) I don't doubt they'd let you handle running most of the show. Like I said, they just want to have some fun and make some money. I think they took a lot out of our pot (like 40+ percent), but there were only 12 people there, so they had to make it profitable. If we start getting like 30+ there, I'm sure we can see about what the percentage of their take would be. And it'd probably be considerably lower.

Anyway, it was cool. Definitely if its a monthly thing on Sundays, I will be at every one ^_^

Top Bottom