• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
those forbidden seven.......some like Dixie could have been added while others like pluse and minun could have been a idea first that was started but then sakurai could decided to have poke trainer instead .....

we will not know for a long time exactly how these were planned.........but to think it would have been brawl plus the extra 7 is naïve.
The only reason the characters were cut was due to time constraints (I believe that this was officially confirmed by Sakurai but I could be wrong there). It makes no sense that he would cut characters due to time constraints and then suddenly decide to put others in.

Mode

Smash Cadet
You are completely wrong.

Brawl had 6 pokemon reps, and had 2 more planned. So out of the 46 character roster that was planned for Brawl, 8 of them were to be pokemon reps. We're probably getting around 50 this time, and the 6 Brawl reps + Greninja and Mewtwo is pretty much the perfect pokemon representation right now. The fact that Greninja plays nothing like Squirtle and that they weren't shown as pokeballs indicates more strongly that they're returning. And the fact that Charizard was revealed first doesn't mean anything really, Zelda and Samus were revealed months and months before Sheik and ZSS. And with 4 starting pokemon already, I'm pretty sure that Jigglypuff and the rest would all be unlockables -- Therefore not announced until after release.

Mario had 4 reps on Brawl (in Sakurai's scale of representation at least), and 5 planned. So the original plan was for Pokemon to have 3 more playable characters than Mario.

People need to accept that Pokemon has a huge cast of extremely versitile and unique characters, add that to the fact they're one of Nintendo's most profitable franchises and it's clear to see exactly why Pokemon gets the most amount of playable representation.
Being unlockable doesn't affect characters being revealed. Luigi is always unlockable and he's already been shown

Last edited:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice

That Mario theory is just that, a theory. Sakurai considered Brawl having 6 pokemon representatives, not 4. He said so in an interview where he clearly stated there were 39 characters in Brawl, which means he considers each pokemon separate. Plus Mewtwo was already being developed so that would have made 7. While I doubt we might get 8 pokemon slots, 6 is something I expect to have. I am just afraid the 6th might not be Mewtwo. (since 5th is obviously Jiggz.
First

That Mario theory is just that, a theory. Sakurai considered Brawl having 6 pokemon representatives, not 4. He said so in an interview where he clearly stated there were 39 characters in Brawl, which means he considers each pokemon separate. Plus Mewtwo was already being developed so that would have made 7. While I doubt we might get 8 pokemon slots, 6 is something I expect to have. I am just afraid the 6th might not be Mewtwo. (since 5th is obviously Jiggz.
First off, it's not theory it's FACT. Smash 64: Mario - 2 slots, Pokemon - 2 slots; Melee: Mario - 5 slots, Pokemon - 4 slots; Brawl: Mario - 4 slots, Pokemon - 4 slots. Nothing will EVER have more character SLOTS than Mario, PERIOD.

Second off, you aren't paying attention to what I said. I never said "representation" I said "SLOTS." Of course Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard represent different characters because they have different moves programmed forms HOWEVER they are all extensions of each other making them represent one single character the Pokemon Trainer. Which was why they were all in one SLOT.

Now there are no more transformations so they can't be in one slot anymore and common sense tells us that they won't be back as Sakurai said some characters won't return as will can all see that Squirtle and Ivysaur won't be back. As I showed you, no franchise will ever have more slots than Mario so unless there is a 6th Mario character, Pokemon will only have 5 characters in this game.

Also, I'm tired of seeing this crap about how Mewtwo was planned to be in Brawl so that would have been 7 characters blah blah blah. Well guess what he didn't get in and I know you're probably gonna say the devs didn't have enough time as if Brawl wasn't delayed 3 times before it came out. Things go on behind the scenes people, things we DON'T hear about! I guarantee Nintendo didn't want the appearance of a franchise being represented more than Mario which is most likely the reason for Mewtwo not getting in Brawl. Once again, "appearance" meaning SLOTS. Not 3 programmed characters fused into one all under one name which is Pokemon Trainer.

There I spoke my piece, I have nothing else to say on this topic of "how many Pokemon characters."

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
The only reason the characters were cut was due to time constraints (I believe that this was officially confirmed by Sakurai but I could be wrong there). It makes no sense that he would cut characters due to time constraints and then suddenly decide to put others in.
I think he meant cut for mewtwo and the rest from melee that didn't end up in brawl..........or at least most of those.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Assuming luigi, rosalina and lucario are all unlockable i cant see mario and pokemon having 4/5 characters available from the start. Im fine with mario having only 5 but it still seems suspicious that all the mario reps were revealed this early. Having jigglypuff be the only pokemon revealed after game launch would be dissapointng and we've awlays got 2 additional pokemon characters in each game.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Assuming luigi, rosalina and lucario are all unlockable i cant see mario and pokemon having 4/5 characters available from the start. Im fine with mario having only 5 but it still seems suspicious that all the mario reps were revealed this early. Having jigglypuff be the only pokemon revealed after game launch would be dissapointng and we've awlays got 2 additional pokemon characters in each game.
well I actually think lucario will be a starter....along with pikcahu and possibly charizrd. greninja and jiggly as unlockable.

for Mario yeah I agree rosaluma(dammit she was my most wanted lol) and luigi will be the unlockable ones........and probably wario but he technically isn't Mario.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
First

First off, it's not theory it's FACT. Smash 64: Mario - 2 slots, Pokemon - 2 slots; Melee: Mario - 5 slots, Pokemon - 4 slots; Brawl: Mario - 4 slots, Pokemon - 4 slots. Nothing will EVER have more character SLOTS than Mario, PERIOD.

Second off, you aren't paying attention to what I said. I never said "representation" I said "SLOTS." Of course Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard represent different characters because they have different moves programmed forms HOWEVER they are all extensions of each other making them represent one single character the Pokemon Trainer. Which was why they were all in one SLOT.

Now there are no more transformations so they can't be in one slot anymore and common sense tells us that they won't be back as Sakurai said some characters won't return as will can all see that Squirtle and Ivysaur won't be back. As I showed you, no franchise will ever have more slots than Mario so unless there is a 6th Mario character, Pokemon will only have 5 characters in this game.

Also, I'm tired of seeing this crap about how Mewtwo was planned to be in Brawl so that would have been 7 characters blah blah blah. Well guess what he didn't get in and I know you're probably gonna say the devs didn't have enough time as if Brawl wasn't delayed 3 times before it came out. Things go on behind the scenes people, things we DON'T hear about! I guarantee Nintendo didn't want the appearance of a franchise being represented more than Mario which is most likely the reason for Mewtwo not getting in Brawl. Once again, "appearance" meaning SLOTS. Not 3 programmed characters fused into one all under one name which is Pokemon Trainer.

There I spoke my piece, I have nothing else to say on this topic of "how many Pokemon characters."
Slots are completely irrelevant. Your entire argument is based on an arbitrary assumption.

Being unlockable doesn't affect characters being revealed. Luigi is always unlockable and he's already been shown
They don't usually reveal unlockables before the game releases. Luigi was likely an exception due to the year of Luigi (and 3rd Party's are exceptions too).

----------------------------------------------------
I also want to point out that the exact quote from the direct is "All characters who used to change forms mid match, will no longer change".

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Yeah, but for an unlockable to be shown, it has to be a special date, or 3rd party, because they advertise those alot. Luigi was for the year of Luigi in general. [Or a newcomer maybe. No way Rosalina is a starter and Luigi unlockable. And Luigi stays unlockable.]

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
First

That's not a fact, it's a pattern. It's not even a solid pattern, because the Mario to Pokemon ratio fluctuates. For future reference, a Fire Emblem character being cut for a newcomer is NOT a pattern, but a one off occurrence.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I kinda want Sylveon and Genesect to be the 5th and 6th Pokemon characters for SSB4... 3 Pokemon veterans and 3 Pokemon newcomers... :awesome:

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Either no one is unlockable in this game or Sakurai is only revealing the obvious ones (Luigi, Toon link). A reason a lot of people hated the brawl roster was that a lot of newcomers were revealed from the start leaving no big surprises for unlockable content other than R.O.B.

Last edited:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Slots are completely irrelevant. Your entire argument is based on an arbitrary assumption.
I'll simply say this. I'm gonna keep this as my Avatar for the rest of the year. Once all the characters are revealed PLEASE send me a message telling me how many Pokemon characters there are and how many Mario characters there are. I guarantee you Mario will either have more OR will have the same amount as Pokemon, but Pokemon WILL NOT have more than Mario.

Now if for some insanely odd reason Pokemon has more than Mario then please feel free to bash the hell out of me.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
I'll simply say this. I'm gonna keep this as my Avatar for the rest of the year. Once all the characters are revealed PLEASE send me a message telling me how many Pokemon characters there are and how many Mario characters there are. I guarantee you Mario will either have more OR will have the same amount as Pokemon, but Pokemon WILL NOT have more than Mario.

Now if for some insanely odd reason Pokemon has more than Mario then please feel free to bash the hell out of me.
It isn't odd. In fact does representation matter? Has Sakurai ever said representation matters to the roster?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
:mario2::luigi2::peach::bowser2:
:pikachu2::squirtle::ivysaur::charizard: :lucario::jigglypuff:

Oh hello Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Also, yes it counts. Slots are a stupid reason to determine playable characters, and going by this asinine logic you play as Pokemon Trainer himself and none of his Pokemon.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
He'll have the heart rod, be wearing pink and red robes and his purple magic has been replaced with sparkles.

There's your "Huggindorf" revamp.
His down B will be a Tingle counter, crushing the dreams of dozens.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I kinda want Sylveon and Genesect to be the 5th and 6th Pokemon characters for SSB4... 3 Pokemon veterans and 3 Pokemon newcomers... :awesome:
Yes please. A game where Greninja, Genesect, and Sylveon are playable would be amazing.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

Also, yes it counts. Slots are a stupid reason to determine playable characters, and going by this asinine logic you play as Pokemon Trainer himself and none of his Pokemon.
those 3 are characters yes.......but slots are still the same. pokemon trainer is the "mothership" SLOT that allows for 3 sepaaret playable CHARACTERS

FunOne

Smash Rookie
Alright, so here are 2 larger screen shots. They were taken from a video hence the bad quality. Enjoy.
Screen_Shot_2014_04_13_at_2_14_39_PM.png

Smash G

Smash Journeyman

That's a useless exercise. You're acting as though you KNOW but like the guy said it's arbitrary. Even if you end up being right it's not because of your logic. It's because of your luck. It can go either way. You're not Sakurai and I doubt you can read his mind.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
those 3 are characters yes.......but slots are still the same. pokemon trainer is the "mothership" SLOT that allows for 3 sepaaret playable CHARACTERS
Still doesn't change the fact that Pokemon has surpassed the Mario series with characters.

Slots don't actually mean anything. You're not playing a Pokemon Trainer, you're playing as his three Pokemon.

Throw in Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Lucario, and you have a total of 6 playable characters.

It should be simple logic here.

(WHY THE **** AM I EXPLAINING THIS KINDERGARTEN CRAP!?)

Last edited:

Flarame

Smash Cadet
NNID
Flarame
I gotta agree with the frog there. If the slot would've been called '' Kanto Starters '' without Pkmn Trainer, this would've still be the same. It's 3 distinct characters with a switch mechanic, just like Zelda having Link, T-Link, Zelda, Sheik & Ganon. ( Or Metroid Samus & ZSS, you see the point. )

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace

Was just about to write this ^^, but yep, Xenoblaze is right. Sakurai counts all of them, and has stated this numerous times.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
It's funny that someone's trying to pass off Pac-Man renders behind old Smash screenshots as a leak.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It isn't odd. In fact does representation matter? Has Sakurai ever said representation matters to the roster?
It clearly doesn't matter when Star Fox should really only have Fox at the rate of how dead that series is. Star Fox has so many reps out of Sakurai's love and potentially the ''FOX ONLY. NO ITEMS. FINAL DESTINATION." crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom