• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
So anything from the 80's, even if there have been new games within the past 7 years are retro?
no........little mac is to a extent.......he looks retro too lolz.
anyway there could be more for what we know that could be seen as retro..........even though there is plenty anyway.(ice climbers.....ness.......lil mac.......g&w ect.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
no........little mac is to a extent.......he looks retro too lolz.
anyway there could be more for what we know that could be seen as retro..........even though there is plenty anyway.(ice climbers.....ness.......lil mac.......g&w ect.
But how is Little Maxc still a retro character? Is Punch-Out!! Wii considered retro now?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
We've probably linked the Sal leak plenty of times at this point. Is it really that hard to look?
This is why the main page NEEDS to be updated. seriously.

Sorry but we have many leaks discredited and a few very good leaks we need to let people know whats going on so we dont keep repeating it

D

Deleted member

This is a pretty stupid comment actually, retro clearly means characters who haven't been unearthed and that's how he views it too if you read the interview comments he makes. How come younger games have such a piss poor understanding of this? I mean didn't one other person in here not even know who Mega Man was? This is a damn joke. It's like people only play like one franchise and only come to this website if they use the internet.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine...-characters-back-to-smash-bros-wii-u-and-3ds/

Little Mac does not qualify.
If you really are 25 like you claim (which your poor ability to type tells me otherwise), I'm only 5 effin' years younger than you. You have no right to act as if you are a superior, older gamer.

Aside from that, your definition of "retro"? Complete bull****.
This is what the word retro means:
"imitative of a style, fashion, or design from the recent past."

It doesn't mean anything about characters being "unearthed", whether they have or not.

Also worth to note, is that the term "retro" in application of Smash Bros. characters is a fan created definition. One that Sakurai has never used nor applied the meaning in which it is fallaciously used.
Even in the interview you posted, Sakurai didn't specify what kinds of old characters he was planning to bring into Smash, just "old characters" in general.

Hell, you want further proof you don't know what you're talking about?
Back in Melee, when the concept of bringing in an older character started, one of the characters we KNOW Sakurai briefly thought about was the Excitebiker.
Even though this existed:

Excitebike wasn't "not unearthed", and had a game not that long before Melee. Even Excitebiker's trophy is based off of the model from the game!
So really, you are the damn joke here that doesn't know jack about what they're talking about. Sakurai's definition of a "classic" character =/= fan definition of a "retro".

EDIT: And with Sakurai giving heavy emphasis on the original Punch-Out for the Arcade, despite Little Mac not even being present in it, it's pretty clear that Little Mac is the token "old" character regardless of having a modernization in 2009.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Sal leak is pretty legit, the only outlier is Rosalina, which suggests to me there are more newcomers than we know about.
There is more than that. There are at least three issues with the rumor

1)The "leak" was originally made as a prediction: Originally, he posted on NeoGAF that he had an "unlikely prediction." When half of it was true, he claimed that he had a source the whole time. The problem is that it could likely be a lucky guess. There has been no evidence so far the suggest it could not be a guess. This is a major issue because there has been nothing to prove it's legitimacy, so it could just as likely be a guess as it is that he has some kind of information. People will say "He picked WFT. There is no way he could guess that." This is a typical case of confirmation bias. Regardless, minutes before the direct, a guy on 4Chan said "What Pokemon do you want in Smash. I want Greninja," or something to that extent. Sure enough, Greninja was shown. Did he know anything. No, but he still got it right. It's just as possible for someone to guess these things.
2)He stated the characters were to be shown at E3: Simple fact was they weren't, and he was wrong on this point. He claimed the characters were pulled from the event. However, Boxing Ring's Punch Out version wasn't shown until Little Mac was, which suggest that they never intended to show Mac at E3. So far, content related to a new series character has not been shown before the character. It is hard to say if the character was to be shown at E3, but we have gone over a year with only Little Mac appearing and he was a character most people were expecting.
3)He did not say Greninja was in but a Pokemon from X/Y was: As it states, the never had "Greninja" on his list. He only said that a Pokemon from X/Y was in. Essentually, he said there was going to be a new Pokemon character, like saying there will be a new Kid Icarus character. If you look at this from a skeptical standpoint, it makes a lot of sense to say "A Pokemon from X/Y." X and Y added 70 new Pokemon, and who knows who'd they pick. You could guess them, but it would be very difficult. Also, if his contact had information, why didn't he say who the Pokemon was. Why would he know the game the Pokemon is from and not the character itself. Why does he not have this for other series. Why didn't he say "A Rhythm Heaven character," or "A Kid Icarus character." You see, he said "A Pokemon from X and Y" and not a specific Pokemon, yet his contact has info. This makes it seam like he doesn't have information and just took a guess. Also interesting how his contact gets a hold of him right before a Direct and doesn't respond. The contact hasn't made any other contact besides this. You'd think that when the E3 stuff was wrong, he would have gotten a hole of him or he would have contacted him. Something.

The issue here is that you can't prove the leak true until you reject the alternative. You have to reject the fact that this could be a lucky guess and that has not happened yet. The only character he got right and specifically guess was Little Mac, a character that was highly requested and many people asked for. I think you can't say it's true until these three issues are resolved and you can say that it was not a lucky guess with concrete evidence. As an aside, they have never shown characters before the related series contect (for new series). For Brawl, Pikmin stuff wasn't shown before Olimar. For Villager, Megaman and WFT, their stages weren't shown off until their specific trailer. For Mac, the Punch-Out ring wasn't shown off before him. In the Developer Direct, it didn't play music either. For Mii, they have shown off Fund Mii and the Tomodachi stage before Mii. While it possible that they didn't feature it in the direct because of that, they still showed it prematurely. For Pac-Man, they showed Namco items. If they are related to Pac-Man, why shown them off now.

Last edited:

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
How exzactly?
summer is june to mid september.........
You just answered the question yourself. If summer is June to mid September, than the earliest it could release is in June with that being the first month of summer.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
To everybody doubting Sal's leak (okay, not everybody, just a few), CAW Evolution (a well-known and well-respected leaker, having leaked basically the entirety of Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3's new characters, IIRC) vouched for Sal's source. The leak is legit, just as the first one was legit. I know that we're basically trained in this thread to pick apart every single leak to the most minute detail in order to disprove it, but I feel like people are really stretching really hard and falling back into old excuses (It irks me to see the "Little Pac-Mii weren't revealed at E3 = FAKE OBVS" used on a scale that could almost rival the "Ridley is too big = NEVER PLAYABLE OBVS" argument) to justify not believing. And no, me saying this has nothing to do with "He got WFT right when nobody else expected her", this is about getting all three E3 characters as well as the Direct character between two leaks, the validity of the source already having been vouched for by a well-known leaker.

As you can see I'm a little irked, haha, and I am aware that you have to go through this with any leak (as was done with Palutena), but it just feels to me like people are rehashing the same arguments instead of coming up with new ones, and that doesn't help prove or disprove it at all.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Uhg, seeing the couple leaks that sprung up after the direct is just going back to what so many leakers appear to do. It reminds me of something, but in a slightly altered state. How would it go? Ah, here it is:

"We are the Leakers. Lower your expectations and surrender your threads. We will add your rumors and speculations to our own. Your forum will adapt to service us. Analyzing is futile."

For now though, I must strive to believe that the most recent leaks are true. I do feel like I believe the Sal one more than the others, of course... what I find funny is that the two leaks after Sals have done away with Ridley. (I still believe Ridley is going to be playable, even though I'm not really a supporter... it's just the way Sakurai went about it in the direct that makes me think that way.)

At least the majority of the older leaks were decimated by the direct and thrown into a mass grave.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
And with Sakurai giving heavy emphasis on the original Punch-Out for the Arcade, despite Little Mac not even being present in it, it's pretty clear that Little Mac is the token "old" character regardless of having a modernization in 2009.
Little Mac represents all generations of Punch-Out!! His model and the boxing ring stage are based on the Wii version and his power meter is from the SNES version. He isn't anymore retro than any other character.

A retro character IMO is a character that draws fully from a game made during the NES/SNES era even if they have had recent games. Excitebiker would be retro because nobody gives a crap about the N64 version, including Sakurai. if Excitebiker was included Sakurai would most likely only pull from the NES version.

D

Deleted member

Little Mac represents all generations of Punch-Out!! His model and the boxing ring stage are based on the Wii version and his power meter is from the SNES version. He isn't anymore retro than any other character.

A retro character IMO is a character that draws fully from a game made during the NES/SNES era even if they have had recent games. Excitebiker would be retro because nobody gives a crap about the N64 version, including Sakurai. if Excitebiker was included Sakurai would most likely only pull from the NES version.
Thank you for proving my point that how fans define "retro" =/= what Sakurai sees as "classic".

And proving that people make too many excuses as to why their fabricated logic works.
I especially love how you try to affirm Sakurai doesn't "give a crap" about the N64 game, thus the franchise is "retro".
And yet, as I've said, the trophy in Melee is of the biker from that game that supposedly no craps are given by Sakurai about.
And, there's also the 2009 Excitebike World Rally...(which you'll probably give the excuse that "no one gives a crap about it" thus it somehow doesn't count :rolleyes:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Extrain

Smash Journeyman

1)The "leak" was originally made as a prediction: Originally, he posted on NeoGAF that he had an "unlikely prediction." When half of it was true, he claimed that he had a source the whole time. The problem is that it could likely be a lucky guess. There has been no evidence so far the suggest it could not be a guess. This is a major issue because there has been nothing to prove it's legitimacy, so it could just as likely be a guess as it is that he has some kind of information. People will say "He picked WFT. There is no way he could guess that." This is a typical case of confirmation bias. Regardless, minutes before the direct, a guy on 4Chan said "What Pokemon do you want in Smash. I want Greninja," or something to that extent. Sure enough, Greninja was shown. Did he know anything. No, but he still got it right. It's just as possible for someone to guess these things.
2)He stated the characters were to be shown at E3: Simple fact was they weren't, and he was wrong on this point. He claimed the characters were pulled from the event. However, Boxing Ring's Punch Out version wasn't shown until Little Mac was, which suggest that they never intended to show Mac at E3. So far, content related to a new series character has not been shown before the character. It is hard to say if the character was to be shown at E3, but we have gone over a year with only Little Mac appearing and he was a character most people were expecting.
3)He did not say Greninja was in but a Pokemon from X/Y was: As it states, the never had "Greninja" on his list. He only said that a Pokemon from X/Y was in. Essentually, he said there was going to be a new Pokemon character, like saying there will be a new Kid Icarus character. If you look at this from a skeptical standpoint, it makes a lot of sense to say "A Pokemon from X/Y." X and Y added 70 new Pokemon, and who knows who'd they pick. You could guess them, but it would be very difficult. Also, if his contact had information, why didn't he say who the Pokemon was. Why would he know the game the Pokemon is from and not the character itself. Why does he not have this for other series. Why didn't he say "A Rhythm Heaven character," or "A Kid Icarus character." You see, he said "A Pokemon from X and Y" and not a specific Pokemon, yet his contact has info. This makes it seam like he doesn't have information and just took a guess. Also interesting how his contact gets a hold of him right before a Direct and doesn't respond. The contact hasn't made any other contact besides this. You'd think that when the E3 stuff was wrong, he would have gotten a hole of him or he would have contacted him. Something.

The issue here is that you can't prove the leak true until you reject the alternative. You have to reject the fact that this could be a lucky guess and that has not happened yet. The only character he got right and specifically guess was Little Mac, a character that was highly requested and many people asked for. I think you can't say it's true until these three issues are resolved and you can say that it was not a lucky guess with concrete evidence. As an aside, they have never shown characters before the related series contect (for new series). For Brawl, Pikmin stuff wasn't shown before Olimar. For Villager, Megaman and WFT, their stages weren't shown off until their specific trailer. For Mac, the Punch-Out ring wasn't shown off before him. In the Developer Direct, it didn't play music either. For Mii, they have shown off Fund Mii and the Tomodachi stage before Mii. While it possible that they didn't feature it in the direct because of that, they still showed it prematurely. For Pac-Man, they showed Namco items. If they are related to Pac-Man, why shown them off now.
1.) People have contacted Sal numerous times and it's quite obvious that at this point he's getting his information through email, not his butt. Of course he can't give us the email itself or the other guy's information otherwise he would be in serious danger. Leaking information is not a game, it's very serious especially for a game like this.There is something that can prove it's legitimacy (to me, that is). Of the only newcomers that were shown at E3, the ones that were shown, were revealed in perfect correlation with how they were placed in his post. Villager, MegaMan, and then WFT. That's definitely not lucky to me and could not have been a guess, especially among the other newcomers as well. As someone has said, it's true. Anyone could have guessed those characters with precise thinking.However, Guessing all of them together and in the order they would be revealed in between the ones that weren't revealed is plain eerie and is an entirely different story. And who knows, maybe that guy on 4chan did have information. We just don't know and never will. Nothing is set in stone.

2.) Sal's source has already realized he was wrong, as has accepted it. And no, he has not said something like "it was a mistake", or that "maybe they got rid of the characters, or they were cut". He's simply said they were still on there way. Even in regards to the direct, he said they were still on there way as if he knew they would not appear in the direct and that one of the other leaked newcomers would. This is clearing in the leaks favor, credibility wise. He is still sure that Pac-Man and Mii are in the game. This leak is not like every other leak.

3.) Point is, he was correct either way. Greninja falls under "Pokemon from X and Y" and there not much else we can do about it except be skeptical. And no, not some random pokemon from the 70 was going to get chosen. Only some of those pokemon had the potential to be chose espescially with gamefreak having a hand in it. Sakurai does not pick random pokemon, he picks the most promotional and popular ones. It wasn't as vague as some people think. There are not that many pokemon that fall under what both GameFreak and Sakurai are looking for, especially ones that originated from the Kalos Region (X and Y). You can even read about that here. http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...-time-bring-back-entire-smash-roster-wii-3ds/
I also would not bring up the fact that just because a character is not shown off even if it could of been at a perfect time. Just look at what happened to Yoshi, and look how long they held off Little Mac and his stage. Rosalina's "stage" was revealed before her as well.

EDIT: And about Mii/Pac-Man. I'd rather not get into that discussion, as Sakurai has proven countless times that he will tease a character to the brim. I'd rather not be a pattern hunter when it comes to reveals especially when it comes to that man. In regards to Pac-Man, the item is not entirely related to Pac-Man himself. It just gives more evidence that Namco Bandai is getting some sort of representation in this game. That item was shown off in two pictures that weren't even in the Direct. That does not warrant an entire character reveal. Even though both of Mii's stages haven been shown, that says nothing for his character. Typically, Rosalina's "stage" was shown off before her and so was Mac's. It was disguised, but it was still Little Mac's stage. If Mii is revealed, he'll be shown off in those stages and other's even if they were already revealed.

And also, Sal has contacted his source. Probably numerous times actually. He's said that his source is a very busy man and is hard to get in touch with and doesn't reply. The source comes right before a big event, which would make sense based on a hint CAW evolution gave us.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
only leak im truly believing is the palutena one.....no one can disprove it, and sals leaks are dodgy twice with easy and likely characters stated apart from 2....

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

If there were to be a Kalos Pokemon added, Greninja was to be the obvious choice in my opinion, so I don't believe that 4chan post to be too out there.

Out of the Kalos Pokemon, only a handful would work in Smash.

Chesnaught
Delphox
Greninja
Pangoro
Hawlucha

off of the top of my head are the only ones who would work in a sense seeing as they're all humanoid, but out of all of them, Greninja is the most popular.

However, before that, pretty much everyone believed that the Pokemon roster this time would be "Brawl+Mewtwo" since that would have been 5 characters, and Sakurai's teasing of Mewtwo in the past. Not only that, but with Lucario and Charizard, the 6th gen could have been repped through other means other than just a character, like Mega-Evolution.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
To everybody doubting Sal's leak (okay, not everybody, just a few), CAW Evolution (a well-known and well-respected leaker, having leaked basically the entirety of Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3's new characters, IIRC) vouched for Sal's source.
Well, there goes all doubt in my mind.
(JK the pessimist in me still worries for Shulk and Chrom)
Out of the Kalos Pokemon, only a handful would work in Smash.
It's about time somebody said it. The Pool of possible playable x/y pokemon is tons smaller than most people think, i mean seriously who legitly thinks pokemon like phantump, honege, slurpuff, and carbink have a chance at being playable?

Last edited:

DangerDamage

Smash Journeyman
only leak im truly believing is the palutena one.....no one can disprove it, and sals leaks are dodgy twice with easy and likely characters stated apart from 2....
I'm going to be completely honest here, so no offense is meant to be taken here, but your reasons are extremely juvenile, much like your typing.

I can say I predicted Little Mac. And what exactly does that do for any sort of leak like Sal Romano's? Nothing. His leaks aren't dodgy, in fact they're the ONLY leak to be correct up until this point with info, since Palutena is just a picture. Just because characters are likely doesn't mean he made up the leak, and so far he's gotten everything correct. You can go through if, ands or buts, but the fact lies that he hasn't been wrong yet . If you want to continue your disbelief, fine, but don't use reasons like "its an easy guess" because ANYTHING could be an easy guess to the right person.

And for the rest of everyone, let a new leak get through and stop being so focused on these 2 leaks and a predicted roster, there's a thread for that.

And that's the bottom line cause Stone Cold said so.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Thank you for proving my point that how fans define "retro" =/= what Sakurai sees as "classic".

And proving that people make too many excuses as to why their fabricated logic works.
I especially love how you try to affirm Sakurai doesn't "give a crap" about the N64 game, thus the franchise is "retro".
And yet, as I've said, the trophy in Melee is of the biker from that game that supposedly no craps are given by Sakurai about.
And, there's also the 2009 Excitebike World Rally...(which you'll probably give the excuse that "no one gives a crap about it" thus it somehow doesn't count :rolleyes:)
You must have missed the part where I said IMO, which means "in my opinion." I wasn't trying to prove a point or anything. Just giving my personal definition.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
pacman and mii are EXTREMELY likely.........
and yeah it was before greninja announced.
Ok then it's looking good it's the rythem heaven character is what has me throwing the yellow flag thats it everything else legit

Ps just a quick question not that it does does the rumor saying anything about mewtwo coming back

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm going to be completely honest here, so no offense is meant to be taken here, but your reasons are extremely juvenile, much like your typing.

I can say I predicted Little Mac. And what exactly does that do for any sort of leak like Sal Romano's? Nothing. His leaks aren't dodgy, in fact they're the ONLY leak to be correct up until this point with info, since Palutena is just a picture. Just because characters are likely doesn't mean he made up the leak, and so far he's gotten everything correct. You can go through if, ands or buts, but the fact lies that he hasn't been wrong yet . If you want to continue your disbelief, fine, but don't use reasons like "its an easy guess" because ANYTHING could be an easy guess to the right person.

And for the rest of everyone, let a new leak get through and stop being so focused on these 2 leaks and a predicted roster, there's a thread for that.

Just do yourself a favor and put Eagle on ignore. Eagle can't back up his facts here or IGN both

Hoping the Chrom leak is fake. Would rather have Roy instead

Shroob

Sup?
Ok then it's looking good it's the rythem heaven character is what has me throwing the yellow flag thats it everything else legit

Ps just a quick question not that it does does the rumor saying anything about mewtwo coming back
The leak only covers newcomers. Mewtwo is a veteran, much like how Sakurai classifies Solozard as a veteran.

Shel

Smash Cadet

Not only that but its not about how easy the characters are to guess individually. It's that he hasn't been wrong yet. Almost all the leaks are dead except his. It's a numbers game. He bet on all the right horses while the other leakers did not. It really makes me smile when I see posters like that say they don't believe it because it's too easy to guess ... yet here we are and no one but that leak has done it. So either this person is enormously lucky verging on the side of omniscience or they are actually telling the truth.

Shroob

Sup?

Shel

Smash Cadet
Can you guys imagine if that leak turns out to be false. The meltdowns would be insane. Personally Im expecting some character to get cut. We will probably see them on the disks data like we did with Brawl. Or we will see them as DLC.

I fully expect to Captain Rainbow DLC....

Last edited:

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
Can you guys imagine if that leak turns out to be false. The meltdowns would be insane. Personally Im expecting some character to get cut. We will probably see them on the disks data like we did with Brawl. Or we will see them as DLC.

Hey, it could happen. If it's fake or real, we all had every right to be skeptical, disbelieve, or believe it based on the evidence and details we've seen so far. In a thread to analyze leaks, especially one like this, there are going to be different groups of people. Like people who are 50/50 on a leak, the 100% believers, the 100% nonbelievers, the skeptical, etc. In the long run, it's always fun to have discussions and debates with people, and see how it ends up in the end. It's always a fun ride (or just hell for some people). :oneeye:

Last edited:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman

If DLC happens, paid or not, I would love it. That's just me though. I can see people's opinions on it during tournaments though...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
This thread is already lively.. I'm looking at the OP now. I'll come back when I'm done.

Liggli

Smash Apprentice
Your argument is inane. Brawl's transformations took 'longer' because they opted for a more complex animation. There is no parity in your comparisons because the animations vary per the developers choice, and therefore you aren't seeing hardware issues, you're seeing what is essentially a nerf, eg, an intentional decision to prolong the transformation. Were they using the same animation then I could understand your argument, but as it stands there is no parity. You indicate the increasing quality of textures, etc. as your reasoning and yet fail to realize that the more powerful hardware compensates for this. The reason transformations have been removed should be quite evident - they're co-developing across both Wii U and 3DS, and the 3DS, as a less powerful console, is likely causing issues. Hell, to further disprove your point you only need look at the Dragonball Z games - they've been going for years, and have included transformation, along with a change in moveset, since conception. The transformations are no slower now than then, because the hardware compensates for the increased texture fidelity.
The 3DS will load characters faster than Wii U. I dare to bet on that.
A disc drive isn't as fast as non-moving card. The 3DS having less to load on faster hardware.

I'm getting the feeling that you don't know how it works, and thinks that I'm wrong (which I still might be), without any facts (other than a separate game).

I can do some test, but I don't own a Wii or GameCube. So I can't test until next week. But one thing for sure: SSB64 loads characters faster than Brawl.

CyberMario

Settle It
3DS FC
3351-4726-1926
Things this video discusses very well:

- Villager should have two genders along with Wii Fit Trainer
- Mother items return that should suggest the return of either Ness or Lucas
- Samurai Goroh assist trophy but no Falcon? Captain Falcon confirmed
- Waluigi assist trophy but no Wario? Wario confirmed
- Ice Climber enemies in 3DS Smash run mode? Ice Climbers confirmed.
- Selection of "Guess this Trophy" trophies are odd... very odd... why were they chosen out of all trophies? Newcomer hints?

Please put this in OP post. This information is critical.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom