• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS SSB3D Disappointments Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Wait, isn't the player who threw the Hocotate Bomb immune to its explosion?
Self-destructing to avoid KO... hm... Well, it does have the advantage that your opponent doesn't get a point, but you still lose one. I guess that almost makes sense.
That's the coward's way out. I'm glad the opponent gets the point if one SDs to avoid the KO. Smash ain't no joke. You fight to the death!
Unless it's pure accident. Then it's just unfortunate...

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
Here's my list:

- No Mewtwo (and no, Lucario isn't anything like Mewtwo. In fact, Mewtwo and Lucario are more different than even Mario and Luigi have become)
- Dr. Mario
- Dark Pit
- Lucina (3 clones? And "wasn't enough dev time" to make a fan-favorite that was actually unique? Pass this series off to someone that cares, Sakurai. You're being stupid now)

- "Fighting Mii Team" as Multi-Man Smash enemies (where's the unique designs like the Polygons, Wireframes and Alloys? At least we can play these guys this time. Then again...)
- No Multi-Man Smash outfit for Mii Fighters (Yes, I want this. No reason to keep it out of player hands thanks to outlining)

Last edited:

cutelittleoshawott

Smash Cadet
Wait, isn't the player who threw the Hocotate Bomb immune to its explosion?
Self-destructing to avoid KO... hm... Well, it does have the advantage that your opponent doesn't get a point, but you still lose one. I guess that almost makes sense.
I guess it isn't. You aren't immune to your own Proxy Mine,Bob-omb,Gooey Bomb,Smart Bomb, and Voltorb if you get it from a Pokeball so I guess this continues the trend of if it explodes even the user isn't immune to it.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
@[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer] Wouldn't the part about Pitoo, Dr Mario and Lucina have the same customs be more proof that they were add at the last stages of the character development, mean that Sakuria didn't have enough time to give them unique customs? Note: I'm note a Sakuria Worshiper, though I do respect the man, so don't take my question the wrong way, please.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I guess it isn't. You aren't immune to your own Proxy Mine,Bob-omb,Gooey Bomb,Smart Bomb, and Voltorb if you get it from a Pokeball so I guess this continues the trend of if it explodes even the user isn't immune to it.
No I mean, I remember reading in the Tips section in the demo that you're immune to the explosion from your own Hocotate Bomb. Plus, I'm pretty sure I remember standing directly where my Hocotate Bomb landed and not taking damage at all. Maybe the immunity is negated if you're launched into it? I dunno.

cutelittleoshawott

Smash Cadet
No I mean, I remember reading in the Tips section in the demo that you're immune to the explosion from your own Hocotate Bomb. Plus, I'm pretty sure I remember standing directly where my Hocotate Bomb landed and not taking damage at all. Maybe the immunity is negated if you're launched into it? I dunno.
Really? I remember me throwing the item then being ko'd by it. Maybe Pikachu somehow had control of the item.

Numbuh 214

Smash Apprentice
These have probably already been discussed to death, but here we go:
  • Confusing roster cuts.
    I never expected IC's to return after I learned that for them TO return would mean the 3DS would have to run up to 8 60 FPS characters. Unfortunately, the 3DS isn't as powerful as a GameCube. However, I was completely not expecting everyone else being cut from Brawl, and their absence is both baffling and disappointing.
  • Sloppily organized CSS.
    This is the reason I didn't believe the leak until it was confirmed. Yoshi being between Mario franchise characters, despite having been his own since 64, Dr. Mario being next to Dark Pit and Lucina... it looks more like a CSS for a Brawl mod than a CSS Sakurai would make.
  • Blatant clones.
    I was completely fine with Lucina, hoping she would at least partially fill the Roy-shaped void Brawl left in everyone's hearts. But Dark Pit takes the title of least original clone in the history of Smash from Dr. Mario, returning veteran and previous holder of the title. And the real problem with these clones isn't just that they exist...
  • Missed opportunities for custom specials.
    ...it's that their custom specials seem relatively unchanged from the characters they were cloned from; and even then, the custom moves don't seem all that original on some characters. I'm not saying I expected every character to have 12 unique specials, but it baffles me to see Sonic not having something like... a Boost that replaces his Side Special, starting up instantly, but faceplanting into walls and bouncing away from other players it hits; functionally not that different, but a whole different move in its own right.
  • Skewed franchise effort.
    I realize that some franchises have more games to draw from than others, but it does not make sense to me how shafted some franchises are in Smash3D. Examples include how Donkey Kong received seemingly nothing (not even a new skin that serves as a nod to a game like Mario did) and both Star Fox and Earthbound lost a character each... whereas Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus got two characters each. I will admit that when they get it right, they get it right; however, these touches are simply too inconsistent for me to be truly satisfied.
Overall, I'm still very much hyped for Smash 4 and want to get it for both the 3DS and Wii U. However, these things keep it from being a "perfect" Smash for me. But hey that's what modding is for mirite lol.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
The fact that FE is still underrepresented outside of characters. We didn't get a new assist trophy or any Smash Run enemies. At least, ones that I know of.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
The fact that FE is still underrepresented outside of characters. We didn't get a new assist trophy or any Smash Run enemies. At least, ones that I know of.
Maybe the reason that FE didn't get any or many enemies in smash runs because a lot of the bad guys in the series are, well, human. I don't know

Edit: Also to everyone complain about the "Stupid clone" characters not get unique customs, doesn't that just prove that these characters where added near the last stages of character development, not giving the team enough time to give each of them unique customs. Just my 2 cents though, so please don't take this the wrong way

Last edited:

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
The complete lack of Golden Sun representation. Cutting an Assist Trophy and removing a song. What are you doing Sakurai?

D

Deleted member

I didn't get the game yet, but I do have a few nitpicks from what I've seen.
  • No online Smash Run? I was shocked when I heard that was the case. It would have been fun.
  • Donkey Kong still has very little representation. I don't think that adding a third character will do the series justice. It needs new stages, an Assist Trophy, and a couple new songs.
  • I'm completely fine with the roster, but Dark Pit was unnecessary. I think Sakurai grasped for straws to try to make him a separate character.
  • Holy crap, there are a lot of old stages. I guess this was their way of cutting corners...
  • In terms of characters, I am upset over Mewtwo, Bandana Dee, and King K. Rool not making the cut, but the blows were soft since I've accepted that they probably weren't going to make it. I AM disappointed with Wolf getting cut, however; he is the only cut character that I cared about.
  • Kirby's new games were completely overlooked. Triple Deluxe is understandable, but I think that we could have at least seen some content from Returns to Dream Land.
  • Ganondorf is still a clone and Wario Land has absolutely no representation in content or Wario's moveset. Both of these things baffle me.
  • In terms of the demo, I wish that I could've been able to change the controls. Screw tap jumping.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
I wish they'd have been more original regarding the multi-man smash modes than just putting you up against miis. I was fine with having miis as playable, but they don't have the same charm that the fighting polygons/wireframes/alloys had. Those had a sense of originality that I felt belonged in multi-man smash, miis... not so much.

What I wish they'd done instead is creating something like "fighting (wooden-)dummy team", basically mokujin inspired enemies, akin to the polygon team with many different variations based on the playable roster. It would have been a nice nod to how Bandai-Namco worked on this game too, considering they're the creators of Tekken.

G-K

Smash Cadet
My biggest disappointment after playing the demo all week, is that after all that middle-ground-between-melee-and-brawl talk the game's still too brawl-y, defensive playstyle is still the king, seriously, you can score a KO and then run around rolling and air-dodging till the time ends for a cheap win.

Character balance is spotty at best, with Villagers crazy recoveries + easy kills with Timber, Forward Smash and crazy disjointed hitboxes on Ftilt and Up Smash versus Megaman's pretty much useless normal A (ground and air) and leaf shield/metal blade.

I'm still buying the game next week, but, at the end of the day, I'm more excited for PM 3.5.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Maybe the reason that FE didn't get any or many enemies in smash runs because a lot of the bad guys in the series are, well, human. I don't know

Edit: Also to everyone complain about the "Stupid clone" characters not get unique customs, doesn't that just prove that these characters where added near the last stages of character development, not giving the team enough time to give each of them unique customs. Just my 2 cents though, so please don't take this the wrong way
They could have used Risen.

cameraman95

Smash Rookie
NNID
El_cameraman
3DS FC
0903-2810-0486
-Dark **** Pit
-Autoscrollers
-No snake nor ice climbers
-Too much brawl reusage
-Too much not handheld stages
-Too much overpowered items (Nor do I care about items)
- Did I mention Dark **** Pit?

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Yep. It's just a copy of Pit's in this game except the side special has an electric effect and I think the arrows are harder to control or something. There are probably some other slight differences as well.
He also has Zelda's final smash, zoom effect and all. Lazy as it gets. That clone spot could have been something like Raichu.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
WOW, first person since MorbidAltruism that doesn't mind Dark Pit.
I'm sure there are more.
Regarding Dark Pit, I'm mostly disappointed that there wasn't enough Sakurai Bias to give him a different moveset. C'mon Sakurai, I thought you had this!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
After playing Dark Pit for a while, he is a much more close-combat fighter than Pit is. I kinda like his Electroshock arm. It's fairly handy. I've grown to be ok with Dark Pit as time has worn on.

After owning the game for 2 weeks, here are my biggest disappointments:

Lack of a Metroid or DK newcomer.
Over saturation of Mario levels and retro levels.

Lack of a Duck Hunt stage. Maybe in the Wii U version?

A lackluster secret character lineup. It was too easy to unlock everyone.

The potential Xenoblade content that was never added. Only a few trophies.

The biggest disappointment were costumes. I had hyped myself up for a good amount but unless you are Little Mac, Villager, Olimar, Zero Suit, Robin, Mii, or Wario; the costume choices are low. Sakurai let this slip through his hands. Boxing glove DK? Cosmic Mario and Cosmic Roz? The Pikacosplays? Psuedo-Palutena? Biker Peach? Mr. L? Galacta Knight? Masked Dedede? These all seemed obvious outfits that should of been in. I like the ones we have but other characters obv got shafted. Let's hope for some costume DLC cause I'll buy that **** up.

Last edited:

Wolfiv

Smash Journeyman
Wolf not being ingame is my disappointment. But not only this, instead, they made a lazy detailed trophy of him. What? There's more... Oh yes! The irony of having the Star Fox stage with Star Wolf's theme arranged. What? There's more? Yes. A fact that he has been intentionally replaced by a Fox recolor and Fox can swap his specials to a some sort of Wolf's.
No Lucas, no Ice Climbers (though I didn't use both of them a lot on Brawl) but Ice Climbers not being in it's just akward and their hidden chant which can be trigged it's like an insult for those who main IC... SMASH Bros. isn't just the same without the IC.
EDIT:
Also I repeat NO WOLF INGAME. ='((( If I ever main Fox at SSB4 for Wii U would be because the nowhere as good as the original Wolf that Fox recolors has. I will only forgive the pain Sakurai made to me because he made me realize my favourite character of all time is Wolf O'Donnell by having him as a playable char on the previous installment of the series.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Hmm... Biggest disappointments are
  • Stage selection. Too many old stages and a lot of the new ones don't catch my interest.
  • Lucas being cut. (seemingly for good too seeing as his special moves were inherited by Ness).
  • Smash Run looks dull.
  • Lots of missed opportunities for Alternate costumes. (Toon Link not having his Spirit Tracks outfit is a particularly bad example).
  • I love the roster in general, but I feel like there was too much 'Flavor of the Week' characters and as a result series like LoZ, Metroid and DK got a bit shafted in terms of new content.
  • Local Multiplayer being more unstable than online itself.
I was upset about Dark Pit and Lucina for about 20 minutes, then I got over it. They grew on me a little actually.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Dark Pit.
No more alternative skins for others.
No more characters for DK, Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero or Mother.
Too much stages from Mario series.
Shrek is not in the game

NavySage

Smash Rookie
I actually don't dig the huge trails on characters that get hit, seems unnecessary.

Hana Na Tahou

Smash Apprentice
I guess i'm kinda disappointed in Mega Man. I haven't really played with him too much, but aside from looking like a 5 year old (i guess i was one of those people who thought Mega Man should've looked circa Legends), he kinda seems a bit...weak? Maybe that's not the right word, but it's the first that comes to mind. I've accepted for a while that Ice Climbers weren't gonna come back when they first reported they were having issues with them on the 3DS. I'm not surprised Snake is gone, not one bit. He seemed more like a promo than anything. Not disappointed, but more surprised that Lucas and Wolf aren't back, as i thought Lucas was getting ready to make the transition to the only Mother representative, and Wolf was at least different from Fox and Falco. Little Mac's Final Smash disappointed me as well. Bowser already goes Giga with his, did we really need Little Mac doing a similar thing? I suppose they didn't have much to work with though.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
I guess i'm kinda disappointed in Mega Man. I haven't really played with him too much, but aside from looking like a 5 year old (i guess i was one of those people who thought Mega Man should've looked circa Legends), he kinda seems a bit...weak? Maybe that's not the right word, but it's the first that comes to mind. I've accepted for a while that Ice Climbers weren't gonna come back when they first reported they were having issues with them on the 3DS. I'm not surprised Snake is gone, not one bit. He seemed more like a promo than anything. Not disappointed, but more surprised that Lucas and Wolf aren't back, as i thought Lucas was getting ready to make the transition to the only Mother representative, and Wolf was at least different from Fox and Falco. Little Mac's Final Smash disappointed me as well. Bowser already goes Giga with his, did we really need Little Mac doing a similar thing? I suppose they didn't have much to work with though.
Let's face facts nintendo is now ignoring the mother franchise. The only reason we still have Ness is because he was part of the original cast of characters in the 64 days. Also I'm sad that wolf is gone to. Also the reason y megaman looks like he's 5 is because they took the model from megaman powered up and put it into smash 4. (OK not the model bus the design from powered up)

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Giga Mac was in Punch Out!! for the Wii's multiplayer. It makes sense to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom