• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ssb 4 day 2 tournament

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
And signed up! So, as someone completely new to Challonge, how do we do the check-in thing? Somethin' there or just letting you know we got the game?

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I'm really glad to see that you're including every stage. These early tournaments are going to be important for helpin shape the tourney scene, and this will be a large step in seeing which stages need to be banned and which don't. Same with custom moves, since I feel those are going to be very important to the meta.

Kirbyquake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirbyquake
3DS FC
0430-8315-5741
October 3rd is a Friday for me and I'll still be in school around that time. But I should be abled to get the game right after school and check in then.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
@ Themandme Themandme did you read my comment? I think it would be good to connect this tournament and my own. After this tournament finishes, could you direct people to the tournament that will be happening the following week? That way, they hype will not leave.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I would join but I'm going to try and enter into the Gamestop tournament that's happening on 10/4. Don't want to sign up and steal a spot from someone.

ninjaclone09

Smash Cadet
NNID
ninjaclone09
3DS FC
3411-2166-3677
@ Themandme Themandme

Although you changed it in the OP, the challonge still says that equipment is acceptable in the loser's bracket. Pls change.

nnnitsuj

Smash Cadet
NNID
nnnitsuj
3DS FC
1693-1966-8371
I made sure to sign up for this one since I couldn't get into the other one! Haha I'm also itching to get some tournament matches in.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
what are the rules on FD mode of stages? will it be if we pick FD we can just use whatever version? or just scrapping it all together

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
Okay then. Little Mac would be the optimal choice then, since FD and Omega versions are all allowed, and no real way to counter them. :/
See the problem a lack of stage striking adds? It makes some characters insanely good.
This is why I stand by the float/pillar statement, but we're in the infancy of this game, and we don't know if anyone else will be solid on flat stages. It's good to get these questions and such out of the way now. For this situation, I'd just consider all Omegas FD (since if we're allowing all stages, it doesn't matter if they're pillar or floating), since the vibe of this tourney is more lax than then one you're doing.

Making all omegas count as FD should keep that from being a large issue.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
This is why I stand by the float/pillar statement, but we're in the infancy of this game, and we don't know if anyone else will be solid on flat stages. It's good to get these questions and such out of the way now. For this situation, I'd just consider all Omegas FD (since if we're allowing all stages, it doesn't matter if they're pillar or floating), since the vibe of this tourney is more lax than then one you're doing.

Making all omegas count as FD should keep that from being a large issue.
What I am saying is that Stage striking SHOULD be included in this tourney. That is what I am saying.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
There is a pretty good explanation by @Raijinken (using the stages legal in my own tournament)
Of course, double check everything and make sure this is how you want it run. The layman's explanation is as follows:
For a standard technical description, please refer to
APEX's Project M ruleset.

Due to the impact stage selection has on characters' performance, a standard Smash Bros tournament utilizes stage picking and banning during a match set. There are three types of stages: Starter (also called Neutral), Counter-Pick, and Banned.

For this tournament, the stage list is as follows:

Starter:
  • Final Destination
  • Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Counter-Pick:
  • Jungle Japes
  • Mute City
  • Prism Tower
  • Rainbow Road
  • Paper Mario
  • Tomodachi Life
  • Tortimer's Island
  • Arena Ferox
Banned:
  • All other stages, and Omega forms of all stages.
After selecting characters, each player chooses (starting with the player with the "highest" player number, with 1 being highest and 4 being lowest) one stage to strike from the Starter list. These stricken stages cannot be played on during this match of the tournament. As each player gets one strike of the three Starter stages, the remaining Starter is chosen for play.
Example: Characters are chosen, we will use :4littlemac: and :4falco: for our example. :4littlemac:
strikes Battlefield. :4falco: strikes Yoshi's Island. Final Destination is selected for Round 1 of the set. :4littlemac: wins Round 1 using his dominance on flat terrain.
Round 2 begins. Characters are locked in for this tournament, so we proceed on to stage selection for Round 2. :4falco: gets to choose the stage from any
Starter or Counter-Pick stage, with the exception of the three stages that :4littlemac: chooses to ban. :4littlemac: can ban ANY THREE starter or Counter-Pick stages he chooses. In this case, we will say he bans Battlefield, Mute City, and Arena Ferox. :4falco: can now pick from any legal stage EXCEPT those three. For our example, :4falco: picks Paper Mario for its third mode, which would be very difficult for :4littlemac: to handle.

Round 2's match starts, and :4falco: wins due to :4littlemac:'s poor aerial play in the third form of
Paper Mario. It is now :4falco:'s turn to ban three stages.

However, this is where another restriction comes in. Known as "Dave's Stupid Rule", the restriction states that you can not pick a stage on which you have already won a game in the current set (unless your opponent agrees to allow you to do so).
Thus, after :4falco:
bans three stages, :4littlemac: can NOT pick to Final Destination, as he won Round 1 there. The result of this is that, if :4falco: doesn't want to fight on Final Destination, he does NOT have to use up a ban removing it from selection.

This process repeats until either player has won the set, whether that is best 2/3 or best 3/5.

Hope that helps. Feel free to tweak things as you see fit or clarify where you feel it is needed.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Well, guess I'm in. I'll probably suck due to lack of practice.

FC in the sidebar. Skype is tehponycorn. If you want to add me mention the smash tournament. No calls, just text chat

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
October 3rd is a Friday for me and I'll still be in school around that time. But I should be abled to get the game right after school and check in then.
Yeah, I won't be able to check in until at least 7:30 EST unless I take the day off, which isn't likely.

Top Bottom