• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ssb 4 day 2 tournament

Themandme

Smash Ace
NNID
shadowthehegehog
3DS FC
3222-5798-4330
Good ideao sir. I may join this one also if there is still room.
But hey, do not have custom equipment. You can easily tell if someone put any stats in because it will be shown on their character icon. :)
Can we be any character we want, and can we switch character in between matches? I gotta know this stuff.
One character for the whole tournament

ninjaclone09

Smash Cadet
NNID
ninjaclone09
3DS FC
3411-2166-3677
Suggestion:

-Allow players to use 2 characters throughout the tournament. Can switch whenever.
-Final destination levels only(because **** hazards), or only really basic levels(FD, battlefield, etc.)

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
One character for the whole tournament
Okay. You may want to add that into the OP. But I am guessing multiple people can use the same character?
Suggestion:

-Allow players to use 2 characters throughout the tournament. Can switch whenever.
-Final destination levels only(because **** hazards), or only really basic levels(FD, battlefield, etc.)
Or he could just use the stage list that I had set up on my own tournament, since this is basically mimicking it :p

ninjaclone09

Smash Cadet
NNID
ninjaclone09
3DS FC
3411-2166-3677
Okay. You may want to add that into the OP. But I am guessing multiple people can use the same character?

Or he could just use the stage list that I had set up on my own tournament, since this is basically mimicking it :p
oh, sweet. i request this, OP. pasting in case others don't wanna go search for the other thread to find it:

Raijinken said:
For a standard technical description, please refer to APEX's Project M ruleset.

Due to the impact stage selection has on characters' performance, a standard Smash Bros tournament utilizes stage picking and banning during a match set. There are three types of stages: Starter (also called Neutral),Counter-Pick, and Banned.

For this tournament, the stage list is as follows:
Starter:
  • Final Destination
  • Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Counter-Pick:
  • Jungle Japes
  • Mute City
  • Prism Tower
  • Rainbow Road
  • Paper Mario
  • Tomodachi Life
  • Tortimer's Island
  • Arena Ferox
Banned:
  • All other stages, and Omega forms of all stages.
After selecting characters, each player chooses (starting with the player with the "highest" player number, with 1 being highest and 4 being lowest) one stage to strike from the Starter list. These stricken stages cannot be played on during this match of the tournament. As each player gets one strike of the three Starter stages, the remaining Starter is chosen for play.
Example: Characters are chosen, we will use :4littlemac: and :4falco: for our example. :4littlemac: strikes Battlefield. :4falco: strikes Yoshi's Island. Final Destination is selected for Round 1 of the set. :4littlemac: wins Round 1 using his dominance on flat terrain.
Round 2 begins. Characters are locked in for this tournament, so we proceed on to stage selection for Round 2. :4falco: gets to choose the stage from any Starter or Counter-Pick stage, with the exception of the three stages that :4littlemac: chooses to ban. :4littlemac: can ban ANY THREE starter or Counter-Pick stages he chooses. In this case, we will say he bans Battlefield, Mute City, and Arena Ferox. :4falco: can now pick from any legal stageEXCEPT those three. For our example, :4falco: picks Paper Mario for its third mode, which would be very difficult for :4littlemac: to handle.

Round 2's match starts, and :4falco: wins due to :4littlemac:'s poor aerial play in the third form of Paper Mario. It is now :4falco:'s turn to ban three stages.

However, this is where another restriction comes in. Known as "Dave's Stupid Rule", the restriction states that you can not pick a stage on which you have already won a game in the current set (unless your opponent agrees to allow you to do so).
Thus, after :4falco: bans three stages, :4littlemac: can NOT pick to Final Destination, as he won Round 1 there. The result of this is that, if :4falco: doesn't want to fight on Final Destination, he does NOT have to use up a banremoving it from selection.

This process repeats until either player has won the set, whether that is best 2/3 or best 3/5.[/spoiler]

Hope that helps. Feel free to tweak things as you see fit or clarify where you

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
oh, sweet. i request this, OP. pasting in case others don't wanna go search for the other thread to find it:

Raijinken said:
For a standard technical description, please refer to APEX's Project M ruleset.

Due to the impact stage selection has on characters' performance, a standard Smash Bros tournament utilizes stage picking and banning during a match set. There are three types of stages: Starter (also called Neutral),Counter-Pick, and Banned.

For this tournament, the stage list is as follows:
Starter:
  • Final Destination
  • Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Counter-Pick:
  • Jungle Japes
  • Mute City
  • Prism Tower
  • Rainbow Road
  • Paper Mario
  • Tomodachi Life
  • Tortimer's Island
  • Arena Ferox
Banned:
  • All other stages, and Omega forms of all stages.
After selecting characters, each player chooses (starting with the player with the "highest" player number, with 1 being highest and 4 being lowest) one stage to strike from the Starter list. These stricken stages cannot be played on during this match of the tournament. As each player gets one strike of the three Starter stages, the remaining Starter is chosen for play.
Example: Characters are chosen, we will use :4littlemac: and :4falco: for our example. :4littlemac: strikes Battlefield. :4falco: strikes Yoshi's Island. Final Destination is selected for Round 1 of the set. :4littlemac: wins Round 1 using his dominance on flat terrain.
Round 2 begins. Characters are locked in for this tournament, so we proceed on to stage selection for Round 2. :4falco: gets to choose the stage from any Starter or Counter-Pick stage, with the exception of the three stages that :4littlemac: chooses to ban. :4littlemac: can ban ANY THREE starter or Counter-Pick stages he chooses. In this case, we will say he bans Battlefield, Mute City, and Arena Ferox. :4falco: can now pick from any legal stageEXCEPT those three. For our example, :4falco: picks Paper Mario for its third mode, which would be very difficult for :4littlemac: to handle.

Round 2's match starts, and :4falco: wins due to :4littlemac:'s poor aerial play in the third form of Paper Mario. It is now :4falco:'s turn to ban three stages.

However, this is where another restriction comes in. Known as "Dave's Stupid Rule", the restriction states that you can not pick a stage on which you have already won a game in the current set (unless your opponent agrees to allow you to do so).
Thus, after :4falco: bans three stages, :4littlemac: can NOT pick to Final Destination, as he won Round 1 there. The result of this is that, if :4falco: doesn't want to fight on Final Destination, he does NOT have to use up a banremoving it from selection.

This process repeats until either player has won the set, whether that is best 2/3 or best 3/5.[/spoiler]

Hope that helps. Feel free to tweak things as you see fit or clarify where you
Yep. :) imo, it add enough variety and enough fairness to make most people happy.
BTW, @ Themandme Themandme is it possible that you could publicize the tournament happening the following week, or at least direct them to the post, after the tournament finishes? That way, the hype will keep on rolling and won't die. :)

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure why Omegas need to be banned myself. I'm of the opinion that Omegas should be treated as two stages; Pillar and Floating. Like Pictochat 2 is a pillar FD stage, while Boxing Ring is a floating one. They are different, and should be treated as such.

This is also from someone who just likes the difference scenery, especially for FD matches.

ninjaclone09

Smash Cadet
NNID
ninjaclone09
3DS FC
3411-2166-3677
I'm not sure why Omegas need to be banned myself. I'm of the opinion that Omegas should be treated as two stages; Pillar and Floating. Like Pictochat 2 is a pillar FD stage, while Boxing Ring is a floating one. They are different, and should be treated as such.

This is also from someone who just likes the difference scenery, especially for FD matches.

The idea is cool but it would ruin stage striking because it'd be impossible to get rid of FD. Unless FD counted as every omega stage. That could work.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
Well you'd have to list which ones are Floating and which ones are Pillar. I know there's a list in the competitive section, I might look for that later.

The idea is when you strike an FD, you strike either float or pillar, and all other versions of that. So if you struck float, you'd get rid of every floating version, including original FD. If you struck Pillar, you'd get rid of all Pillar variants.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
It is just much more easier and convenient to get rid of Omega forms.
I'll admit it's more complex to do what I'm suggesting, but even aside from that, I'd rather keep in the Omegas all as one FD just because I like variety in background. Like I'd rather use Omega Boxing Ring instead of FD.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Maybe have the option to only chose one Omega form for every match? That could satisfy those who want the Omega forms but still add variety?

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
I'll admit it's more complex to do what I'm suggesting, but even aside from that, I'd rather keep in the Omegas all as one FD just because I like variety in background. Like I'd rather use Omega Boxing Ring instead of FD.
The problem with different omega stages is that certain ones boost the recovery of certain characters, such as wall clingers.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
The problem with different omega stages is that certain ones boost the recovery of certain characters, such as wall clingers.
This is why I called for the distinguishing of Omega stages on Pillar and Floating. They play differentl, as was stated, and should be treated differently. At worst, ban pillar FD stages and only allow floating ones.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
This is why I called for the distinguishing of Omega stages on Pillar and Floating. They play differentl, as was stated, and should be treated differently. At worst, ban pillar FD stages and only allow floating ones.
so, we would be basically splitting Omega forms just because they have different forms right?
This is a problem for a few reasons mostly stage striking. If you were against Little Mac, and you decided to strike out Final destination (and the Omega forms exactly like that). However, this would leave Little Mac with a perfectly fine stage still in the other Omega Forms. Even if you were to strike them both out,t hat would just be a waste of one of your stage strikes.
That is just one huge mess that doesn't need to be done just to give more variety in basically the same stage with different skins and music. :/

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499
Alright, signed up! (My name is DanTheDaniel on there since I used that username for everything else nowadays)

Quick question: Are we doing this tourney after the launch day of smash or do it on Sunday? I have to get the game later in the day due to classes and I doubt I'll unlock the characters I'm planning on playing as.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Alright, signed up! (My name is DanTheDaniel on there since I used that username for everything else nowadays)

Quick question: Are we doing this tourney after the launch day of smash or do it on Sunday? I have to get the game later in the day due to classes and I doubt I'll unlock the characters I'm planning on playing as.
Day 2, so it would be Oct 4th.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
so, we would be basically splitting Omega forms just because they have different forms right?
This is a problem for a few reasons mostly stage striking. If you were against Little Mac, and you decided to strike out Final destination (and the Omega forms exactly like that). However, this would leave Little Mac with a perfectly fine stage still in the other Omega Forms. Even if you were to strike them both out,t hat would just be a waste of one of your stage strikes.
That is just one huge mess that doesn't need to be done just to give more variety in basically the same stage with different skins and music. :/
I feel like the value of the skins and music is worth it to me, it feels like it adds something, even when it's nothing. It's why I'm fine with just having the floating FDs (Boxing Ring being a favorite of mine) being legal. I'll admit I'm not completely versed in the tourney scene, but anything that helps break up the monotony of seeing the same stages every game seems like it'd be helpful. The game isn't to the point where we're bored of the stages, far from it, but it's something to think about for the future.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I feel like the value of the skins and music is worth it to me, it feels like it adds something, even when it's nothing. It's why I'm fine with just having the floating FDs (Boxing Ring being a favorite of mine) being legal. I'll admit I'm not completely versed in the tourney scene, but anything that helps break up the monotony of seeing the same stages every game seems like it'd be helpful. The game isn't to the point where we're bored of the stages, far from it, but it's something to think about for the future.
Any chance of making a rule where only one Omega stage per match is/if chosen?

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
But it is the fact that it would be so unfair when used against certain characters that the should not be viable in the sense you are referring to. Little Mac would definitely become top tier if that was to happen because he would be able to sport a flat stage many matches.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
But it is the fact that it would be so unfair when used against certain characters that the should not be viable in the sense you are referring to. Little Mac would definitely become top tier if that was to happen because he would be able to sport a flat stage many matches.
Well I stated there'd only be one FD in this, the floaters, which includes original FD. Pillar FD (like Picto) would be banned, so we're still getting more backgrounds, but not giving more options for flat stagers like L. Mac. I am probably biased, I'll admit that, but if we just have floaters we can still mix things up a little.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Well I stated there'd only be one FD in this, the floaters, which includes original FD. Pillar FD (like Picto) would be banned, so we're still getting more backgrounds, but not giving more options for flat stagers like L. Mac. I am probably biased, I'll admit that, but if we just have floaters we can still mix things up a little.
fair enough. To each their own.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
yay i actually managed to make it in this one! :D Challonge name @ Taste112 will use either Mario/ Olimar/ Shulk

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Just signed up, no idea who I'm going to use yet. Thanks for hosting this, Themandme.

Themandme

Smash Ace
NNID
shadowthehegehog
3DS FC
3222-5798-4330
MASSIVE ANNOUNCEMENT you will need to sign "check in 1 day before the tournament" I did this to see you got the game and can participate

Top Bottom