• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Advanced Techniques, Strategies, and Cool Names for Things - Video Added!

QraQ

Smash Ace
Nair plat and edge cancels really well. Has an inside hard hitbox. It's prolly the best straight down option for squirtle.

The only bad thing I can say is that the outside hitboxes seem very inconsistent.

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
So kinda cool thing i found in my game play is that if you C stick your withdraw you turn around on aquajet to the direction in which you point it too. I don't know how new this is because i've only recently picked up squirtle but this was cool to implement stuff like withdraw >>C stick reversal>> ledge gaurd.

I personally found this useful and wanted to share it just in case anyone else was squirtleciding off the stage with aquajet as well...

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Bump because someone was asking if we have an AT thread in general discussion.

Probably shouldn't be stickied though, unless Dettadues starts showing more activity

QraQ

Smash Ace
Does anyone utilize specials with shellsling momentum? I've been mainly using aerials but have found the specials have good uses in neutral game.

Bubble stops momentum at any point so it's all about reaction time. Water gun propels you harder with shellsling to give you more distance covering. I've made it entirely across ledge-to-ledge on stages like FD PS1/2 smashville. So it definitely has use when launching them from one edge to another, being able to edgehog/guard quicker than they can recover.

QraQ

Smash Ace
Fresh out of the lab, squirtle now can dash dance. It's garbage but it's hilarious sounding and technically a new movement option.
Not dash dancing lol. More like stutter step. I've been messing around with this a lot lately. I don't use R for anything but cancelling neutral Bs (sheik, mew2, lucario) so I set it to attack. You just hold attack and press down on c-stick.
Have you done moon stuttering with it yet?!?!? It's not garbage though, I think it just draws Squirtle away from his playstyle.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Water Gun for days. I do that out of shellshift a lot, and it has its place with Bubble, too.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Yea lol. Daftatt why are you naming known tech. That's a Fox-trot aka stutter step.

It's good that you know it though, Squirtles is pretty usefull.

How about actually new PM tech though? Shellshine>grab too stronk? Anyone else able to execute this on a shield?

Last edited:

~Dad~

part time gay dad
Shellshine? You mean shellshift? lol

Also yeah I've used shellshifts on people's shields in some fun ways before. (shellshift hitbox > pivot grab)

QraQ

Smash Ace
Shellshift and shellsling is the entirety of Squirtle imo. If you don't shellsling as a regular mobility option, you're Squirtling wrong.....

Burnsy

Smash Lord
During shellshift, if Squirtle inputs a standing pivot on the first or second possible frame (possible in the middle of shellshift), he cancels the hitbox of his shellshift and can follow up with any move (like a shine). I've started calling it a shellshine because it's the only way it'll get anyone's attention, its incredibly useful for pressure and I've been explaining how to execute it for the past couple weeks. Shellshift into pivot grab is an easy way of executing it, because you don't have to worry about tilting the stick too far and entering a run.

Last edited:

QraQ

Smash Ace
During shellshift, if Squirtle inputs a standing pivot on the first or second possible frame (possible in the middle of shellshift), he cancels the hitbox of his shellshift and can follow up with any move (like a shine). I've started calling it a shellshine because it's the only way it'll get anyone's attention, its incredibly useful for pressure and I've been explaining how to execute it for the past couple weeks. Shellshift into pivot grab is an easy way of executing it, because you don't have to worry about tilting the stick too far and entering a run.
I can't visualize this lol. Is it similar to a shellstall? Could you perhaps make a quick vid showing it and it's applications?

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I can't visualize this lol. Is it similar to a shellstall? Could you perhaps make a quick vid showing it and it's applications?
It's not similar to shellstall at all, you actually cancel the hitbox into an actionable state. Shellstall may happen if you execute it incorrectly.

I dont have a recording device. Try it on your own, I've gotten several people to do it by simply explaining it to them. You want to try to pivot by tilting in the opposite direction once you begin rebounding with SS. Try it in slow-mode with different timings.

Last edited:

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Yea lol. Daftatt why are you naming known tech. That's a Fox-trot aka stutter step.

It's good that you know it though, Squirtles is pretty usefull.

How about actually new PM tech though? Shellshine>grab too stronk? Anyone else able to execute this on a shield?
That's actually not what this is, it's holding an attack input then inputting C-stick down to crouch for 1 frame and immediately restart your dash. AKA Dash-Crouch-Dance, which is a new P:M tech (as of about a month or two ago). I don't agree that it's useful though, squirtle has way better movement mixups for every situation then dashing (except to restart a shell-shift).

Also, shellshine is a bad name because it's misleading on what the tech actually is. You may as well name it "Radical Squirtle Superslider".

Burnsy

Smash Lord
My technique is about more than making him slide. But by all means, you guys call it whatever you want, just please be aware of it and understand it thoroughly. I wouldn't **** you about this being an important thing to learn.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Was sitting around (Not studying for my English and Global Studies EoC, oops) when I found aMSa's lucario wall jump + AS cancel. Probably already known but it could help squirtle's recovery. I think Squirtle's Walljump goes mostly sideways though so it may not be useful. Probably already known but whatever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgBxvTMG28I&list=UU1HF_YmkC8znqpCHBDKB30A

Gonna mess with this tech a lot more. Might start entering a tournament with one character. As in, go Squirtle for one tournament, Mario for another, etc. to see what I can do.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
Was sitting around (Not studying for my English and Global Studies EoC, oops) when I found aMSa's lucario wall jump + AS cancel. Probably already known but it could help squirtle's recovery. I think Squirtle's Walljump goes mostly sideways though so it may not be useful. Probably already known but whatever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgBxvTMG28I&list=UU1HF_YmkC8znqpCHBDKB30A

Gonna mess with this tech a lot more. Might start entering a tournament with one character. As in, go Squirtle for one tournament, Mario for another, etc. to see what I can do.
I couldn't get this to work. It doesn't seem like you can cancel the watergun fast enough. His wallcling is already good enough for any practical recoveries though.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I tried it about a month ago and didn't have any luck, had the same issue as DavisD. It would be useful if it worked. It'd give you more opportunities to mix up recovery and a way to get back up if he loses wallcling. But its probably not necessary for the character either way, imo.

Arrow (Kyle)

Smash Apprentice
So does the CStick not work for hydroplane Usmash at all? I'd assume its too exact of a timing and so you need to use A like shieks DACUS

~Dad~

part time gay dad
No, it definitely works. Try using a jump cancelled upsmash, if you can get the different timings down you can slide different distances.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
No, it definitely works. Try using a jump cancelled upsmash, if you can get the different timings down you can slide different distances.
having control over the various distances is really important. it lets you punish rolls more reliably

It's even more important for hydro-grabbing, which I personally think may end up being the most important tech squirtle has.

Last edited:

noterday

Smash Rookie
I learned how to do the hydro f-smash and d-smash recently and i finally had the opportunity to try them against real players yesterday and i want to say that hydro down smash is amazing.

You move a long distance pretty fast if you do it perfectly, it has 12% damage armor on it, and usually it puts people just a little bit above you so you can combo into an aerial.

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
So does the CStick not work for hydroplane Usmash at all? I'd assume its too exact of a timing and so you need to use A like shieks DACUS
The input is
:GCL::GCR: (to shellshift)
:GCX:or:GCU:(to jump-cancel your momentum on the turnaround animation)
:GCU:+:GCA: (to cancel your jump into up-smash)
When mastered it's the best DACUS-like move in the game, although technically more complex than a normal DACUS

I learned how to do the hydro f-smash and d-smash recently and i finally had the opportunity to try them against real players yesterday and i want to say that hydro down smash is amazing.

You move a long distance pretty fast if you do it perfectly, it has 12% damage armor on it, and usually it puts people just a little bit above you so you can combo into an aerial.
I once hydroplaned a D-smash all the way across fountain of dreams just in time to gimp a firefox with the downwards hitboxes, it's was like a freaking TAS.

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
My technique is about more than making him slide. But by all means, you guys call it whatever you want, just please be aware of it and understand it thoroughly. I wouldn't **** you about this being an important thing to learn.
Hey I actually started doing this, it's the most reliable way to slide with D-smash. The pivot input is really tricky though:

:GCL::GCR: (shellshift)
:GCR::GCUR::GCU: (to pivot), or you can let the control stick snap back to neutral position which is less reliable
:GCCD: (to d-smash)

It's also an amazing way to slide in with shield since there is no lag (unlike wavedashing in). So hydro-pivot (what we should all call it, not shellshine) is actually really cool, but probably as hard to do consistently as hydroplane-forward-up-smash without tap jump on.

This definitely needs to be in the AT list, it's really cool, and you can control the distance you slide by how much you cross the horizontal neutral over to the direction you face post-pivot.

Another use is to hydro-pivot into bubble if you can b-reversal it, which is an absurdly crazy input sequence.

:GCL::GCR: shellshift
:GCR::GCUR::GCU: pivot
:GCD::GCB: bubble
:GCDR::GCR: b-reversal

...We need a new AT thread.

All of this only further shows that squirtle's true neutral game is in a shellshift, and for optimum potential you need to constantly moving around at max speed (wavedash, waveland, shell-sling into waveland,), coming in and out of shellshift. Damn this character has a higher skill ceiling than even I previously thought!

Last edited:

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Same here kinda. I use it to cancel my shellshift hitbox into moves for pressure sometimes when they shield, catches OoS options sometimes and if you hit them with it you have a lot of combo options if you cancel instantly. I'm not very consistent with slide distances though so I don't use it for that as much yet. I think it's just a matter of time though.

T-block

B2B TST
Er... if OP is going to copy my words from the Brawl version, it should at the very least make sure that all Brawl specific stuff that doesn't apply to PM is removed ._.

The "How To Perform" hydrograb doesn't apply, for example. I try not to touch PM Squirtle so I can keep my Brawl Squirtle in tact, but I messed around with him for a bit a while ago, and my hydrograb input resulted in that very strange backwards-sliding forward smash (which I would have posted, but you guys beat me to the punch in that "New AT?" thread haha)

Also, I noticed some discussion in here about the Forward Hydroplane u-smash? It may be harder without buffering, but I know for a fact that I did it at least once using the same inputs as in Brawl, and it had the same distance. Not sure if that was for an older version or what, but just thought I'd let you guys know.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Forward hydroplane usmash was not in version 2.5 (removed since Brawl) but it was added back in 2.6. Its not too hard.

Last edited:

chrome12345

Smash Cadet
Does anyone utilize specials with shellsling momentum? I've been mainly using aerials but have found the specials have good uses in neutral game.

Bubble stops momentum at any point so it's all about reaction time. Water gun propels you harder with shellsling to give you more distance covering. I've made it entirely across ledge-to-ledge on stages like FD PS1/2 smashville. So it definitely has use when launching them from one edge to another, being able to edgehog/guard quicker than they can recover.

A great use that I have been using successfully in matches is using shell sling to water gun to set up edge guards. When My opponent is near the fray in the middle or lower half of the screen, I shell sling toward them and then I use water gun.. the hitboxes from water gun stun my opponent enough for me to kill or gimp with Fair. Sometimes I charge it sometimes I don't, it depends on the circumstance, but it is incredibly useful and allows for at times a farther reaching gimp than bubble.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Since I haven't seen anyone mention it browsing through these 4 pages, did you guys know you can reverse Squirtle's momentum out of a shellshift by quickly pressing down and away right as you coming out of it?

I'm planning on making a quick vid when I find the time, but I'll try to explain it the best I can. The window is pretty tight for the longest distance you can obtain, but the max distance I could cover was a little more than half of FD. He basically enters his crawl state directly after exiting the shellshift and then slides backwards, sort of looks like an extremely awkward crawling moonwalk. This essentially lets Squirtle use a retreating Dtilt out of his shellshift, which I found to be an extremely safe mixup option but has little to no follow ups if you get the max distance out of it. Great way to get a couple quick pokes in and then reset the game back to neutral.

Last edited:

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Yea, I was aware of this particular momentum shifting method. I actually briefly demonstrate it in one of the videos I posted a month or so ago in another thread. Pretty sure I mentioned the merits of retreating dtilt as well, but I could be confusing this with my irl discussions regarding Squirtle tech. A tutorial video would be cool, seems people find them really helpful.

It seems to work because you are crawling backwards for a couple frames and then standing before crouch can remove movement speed. From what my testing has gathered, this works any time you are sliding and able to act, and can also work to reverse momentum if you are sliding backwards and do it forward. You can even do it out of initial dash, meaning you can dash towards>crawl reverse> retreating ground moves. Super good for general mixups, baits, safe poking, and if used in conjunction with SS reverses, both will be harder to read and react to.

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Yea, I was aware of this particular momentum shifting method. I actually briefly demonstrate it in one of the videos I posted a month or so ago in another thread. Pretty sure I mentioned the merits of retreating dtilt as well, but I could be confusing this with my irl discussions regarding Squirtle tech. A tutorial video would be cool, seems people find them really helpful.

It seems to work because you are crawling backwards for a couple frames and then standing before crouch can remove movement speed. From what my testing has gathered, this works any time you are sliding and able to act, and can also work to reverse momentum if you are sliding backwards and do it forward. You can even do it out of initial dash, meaning you can dash towards>crawl reverse> retreating ground moves. Super good for general mixups, baits, safe poking, and if used in conjunction with SS reverses, both will be harder to read and react to.
I've done this accidentally a bunch, good to know what it was. What should we call it? Moon Crawl?

... WAIT...NO... SOMETHING EVEN BETTER... I HAVE IT...

The Shellectric Slide

this is why these boards need me, this is why I'm here

Last edited:
Top Bottom