• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Roy's air game is nowhere near as bad as in Melee. They're still his weaker moves and have enough lag
that using them consecutively with Roy's fast falling is difficult, but they at least pack a decent punch now.

Other improvements: jab pops opponents up usefully, ftilt is crazy strong when sweetspotted for how fast it is,
dthrow combos into pretty much everything at low percents then just blazer at higher percents, which by the way
kills surprisingly well with rage.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Roy's air game is nowhere near as bad as in Melee. They're still his weaker moves and have enough lag
that using them consecutively with Roy's fast falling is difficult, but they at least pack a decent punch now.

Other improvements: jab pops opponents up usefully, ftilt is crazy strong when sweetspotted for how fast it is,
dthrow combos into pretty much everything at low percents then just blazer at higher percents, which by the way
kills surprisingly well with rage.
yeah, Roy is very good...
It feels so good to actually be able to compare to Marth. :p

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Yeah, the general consensus right now is that Roy is not only better than he was in Melee, but that he's actually better than Marth this time around. I don't have Roy yet, but, from what I understand, Roy is crazy fast and has powerful aerials, while his D-Throw allow for all sorts of combos and KO setups. Plus, Roy apparently packs a lot of power, even without landing his sweetspot, and several of his attacks, despite their speed, deal quite a bit of knockback. His F-Tilt and Dash Attack were the ones people seemed to bring up the most, I believe. Also, Roy's Counter is supposedly pretty powerful, too. I think it starts KO'ing at 40% if a Smash Attack is the countered attack in question.

However, Roy's recovery is apparently pretty mediocre, since Blazer doesn't cover quite as much vertical distance as Dolphin Slash and since he falls so much faster than Marth, but Roy can angle his Up-B, and that gives him a superior horizontal recovery. I'm pretty sure I read that Roy's F-Air has shorter landing lag than Marth's, as well. Oh, and Roy's overall range is shorter than Marth's, while his falling speed and high landing lag on his aerials make it difficult for him to actually remain airborne.

All in all, most people seem to agree that Roy is pretty high-tier in this game, and that he's definitely better than Marth this time around. I think people are currently saying Roy's at least B-Tier, but don't quote me on that. So, yeah, he's apparently a pretty solid character. That's, like, the second time in Smash history that a clone's been considered better than his original. I think Dr. Mario was the first, since Doc was considered better than Mario in Melee. Making Smash history, aren't you, Roy:p?

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Yeah, the general consensus right now is that Roy is not only better than he was in Melee, but that he's actually better than Marth this time around. I don't have Roy yet, but, from what I understand, Roy is crazy fast and has powerful aerials, while his D-Throw allow for all sorts of combos and KO setups. Plus, Roy apparently packs a lot of power, even without landing his sweetspot, and several of his attacks, despite their speed, deal quite a bit of knockback. His F-Tilt and Dash Attack were the ones people seemed to bring up the most, I believe. Also, Roy's Counter is supposedly pretty powerful, too. I think it starts KO'ing at 40% if a Smash Attack is the countered attack in question.

However, Roy's recovery is apparently pretty mediocre, since Blazer doesn't cover quite as much vertical distance as Dolphin Slash and since he falls so much faster than Marth, but Roy can angle his Up-B, and that gives him a superior horizontal recovery. I'm pretty sure I read that Roy's F-Air has shorter landing lag than Marth's, as well. Oh, and Roy's overall range is shorter than Marth's, while his falling speed and high landing lag on his aerials make it difficult for him to actually remain airborne.

All in all, most people seem to agree that Roy is pretty high-tier in this game, and that he's definitely better than Marth this time around. I think people are currently saying Roy's at least B-Tier, but don't quote me on that. So, yeah, he's apparently a pretty solid character. That's, like, the second time in Smash history that a clone's been considered better than his original. I think Dr. Mario was the first, since Doc was considered better than Mario in Melee. Making Smash history, aren't you, Roy:p?
Roy is better at recovering horizontally over vertically when compared to Marth.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
So, um, does anybody have a picture of the new CSS, or can anyone describe it to me? I dying to know if it's a cluttered up mess of DLC characters:p.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Accurate Portrayals and Balance.
:4feroy:

Pick one.
Feels like the Hilt of his Sword is everywhere but the tip and he has ridiculous speed. Balancing is non-existant here except his air game which has so little lag on some moves that he can land and almost instantly side smash.

I'd rather play ET atari than go near :4feroy: with a 30ft pole.

So, um, does anybody have a picture of the new CSS, or can anyone describe it to me? I dying to know if it's a cluttered up mess of DLC characters:p.
Imagine Link on the top row, Kirby and DDD on the second row and Shulk starting the last row.
It's ugly.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Accurate Portrayals and Balance.
:4feroy:

Pick one.
Feels like the Hilt of his Sword is everywhere but the tip and he has ridiculous speed. Balancing is non-existant here except his air game which has so little lag on some moves that he can land and almost instantly side smash.

I'd rather play ET atari than go near :4feroy: with a 30ft pole.
You must really hate Roy:p. Seriously, though, while I do think that Roy is a fantastic character this time around, I don't think he's anywhere near #1 or broken. He's good, but he's not that good.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
You must really hate Roy:p. Seriously, though, while I do think that Roy is a fantastic character this time around, I don't think he's anywhere near #1 or broken. He's good, but he's not that good.
Get him off stage and he's a slightly better Mac.
For 1v1s it's ridiculous.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'm confused... Are you saying that Roy is an overpowered character, or that he's a bad character, or what...? I don't understand.
Roy's key weakness is getting him off the stage.
Doing so is easier said than done in a 1v1.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Roy's key weakness is getting him off the stage.
Doing so is easier said than done in a 1v1.
Ah, I see. In that case, I agree. I don't know if it's Little Mac-bad, but it's certainly down there. Maybe Dr. Mario-level, or somewhere around there. Anyway, I digress. The point is, I agree. Roy's weakness is definitely his mediocre recovery.

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
Holy crap, Lucas got a better version of our Nair. Same fantastic OoS priority, but ZERO landing lag. Zero.

Why does Lucas get the Nair Mewtwo should have? I am so angry about this.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Holy crap, Lucas got a better version of our Nair. Same fantastic OoS priority, but ZERO landing lag. Zero.

Why does Lucas get the Nair Mewtwo should have? I am so angry about this.
Everybody get your torches and pitchforks. Apparently, it's now illegal for a character to have a move that out outclasses Mewtwo's because he "deserves" to have the best of everything. :glare:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I'm getting kinda jealous of all of you who have the new characters. :p

I would get the characters in a heartbeat but sadly, my eshop balance is too low. At least I can lurk around YouTube for now.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I'm getting kinda jealous of all of you who have the new characters. :p

I would get the characters in a heartbeat but sadly, my eshop balance is too low. At least I can lurk around YouTube for now.
I feel ya. I actually don't have any of the characters, either. My internet is really cruddy right now, and I don't know when I'll be able to download Roy, Ryu, and Lucas. It could, unfortunately, be quite a few hours. However, I'm sure the three of them will be more than worth the wait!

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
Everybody get your torches and pitchforks. Apparently, it's now illegal for a character to have a move that out outclasses Mewtwo's because he "deserves" to have the best of everything. :glare:
Way to miss the point. Mewtwo shouldn't have lag on his Nair. I don't care that Lucas has it, I care care Mewtwo has no good OoS options and his ait to ground game is ass.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I feel ya. I actually don't have any of the characters, either. My internet is really cruddy right now, and I don't know when I'll be able to download Roy, Ryu, and Lucas. It could, unfortunately, be quite a few hours. However, I'm sure the three of them will be more than worth the wait!
No doubt about that! Three DLC characters along with a classic stage released at the same time is big for Smash Bros so far.

By the way, anyone been using the Miiverse stage? I actually like it and the comments are nice to read too even though I spotted a very inappropriate one while I was playing a match. :p

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Am honestly not caring for any of the new characters so far. IDK maybe it's the leak or that my arms are sore from work, but they don't feel that good to play as for me.

Am also liking BF better than DL64. Suzaku Castle would be great, too bad for walkoffs.

No Mewtwo changes is definitely disappointing (haven't heard anything about MM). But at least Tournament Mode, Youtube, and the K.K. Slider costume means another update should be coming out this summer (August? Wolf DLC?).

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Way to miss the point. Mewtwo shouldn't have lag on his Nair. I don't care that Lucas has it, I care care Mewtwo has no good OoS options and his ait to ground game is ***.
In my defense, your post said, and I quote, "Why does Lucas get the N-Air Mewtwo should have? I am so angry about this." To me, that doesn't mean, "I wish Mewtwo's N-Air had less landing lag so his OoS options would be better and his air-to-ground game would be more fluid." To me, that says, "I'm jealous that Lucas got something that Mewtwo 'deserves' because he's my favorite character." I saw nothing in your post about why you wanted Mewtwo's N-Air to have less landing lag. All I saw was envy that Lucas had a better move than Mewtwo did.

All that said, I agree with what you said in your reply, and I apologize for missing your point.

Last edited:

Gui JP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Twishine
3DS FC
0791-1410-6660
Kind of difficult to pull off a command Shoryuken on a 3DS control stick, so I just tell myself when I think I can't, "Sure you can."

Ridiculously lame jokes aside, those Ryu combos.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Ryu has a steep learning curve. I feel that when someone masters him, he is going to be a fearsome monster. This character is designed to have true combos in a game where most combos are player created.

Last edited:

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
Mewtwo's disable is slightly faster.
Like...one frame?

In my defense, your post said, and I quote, "Why does Lucas get the N-Air Mewtwo should have? I am so angry about this." To me, that doesn't mean, "I wish Mewtwo's N-Air had less landing lag so his OoS options would be better and his air-to-ground game would be more fluid." To me, that says, "I'm jealous that Lucas got something that Mewtwo 'deserves' because he's my favorite character." I saw nothing in your post about why you wanted Mewtwo's N-Air to have less landing lag. All I saw was envy that Lucas had a better move than Mewtwo did.

All that said, I agree with what you said in your reply, and I apologize for missing your point.
No worries man.

I can see the ambiguity.

They buffed Mewtwo. My Uair followups aren't whiffing during the 2nd jump anymore. Woo!
What is the specific buff?

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Just went through a series of triple threats involving a friend as Dr. Mario, another as Roy, and me of course representing our fair lady on mostly the Dreamland 64 stage.

What more could ever be so right...

Spirst

Just went through a series of triple threats involving a friend as Dr. Mario, another as Roy, and me of course representing our fair lady on mostly the Dreamland 64 stage.

What more could ever be so right...
:pichumelee:

Browny

Smash Hater
I am so mad at the misconceptions still going around at mewtwo

All of my replays are going to be lost which is a bit annoying, I still want to do my shadow ball guide I just need time and as of tomorrow I will have a lot more time available.

Im also going to make a video, maybe tonight showing mewtwos true combos just so I can shove it in peoples faces when they say 'mewtwo has no combos' while they obsess over marios mad combos of utilt, utilt utilt, utilt utilt utilt and utilt utilit utilt utilt.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

And the Lord said, 'Let there be Roy, Ryu and Lucas DLC'
And it was good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom