• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So, Abadango didn't end up using Mewtwo at G3 after all? ;-;
Had a gut feeling he wouldn't, I understand why he would go with the much safer MK option. It does irritate me when he says he secondaries M2 then uses him like what, once? Secondaries should be used a little more often or don't call then secondaries at all.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Speaking of Meta Knight, I've been trying him out lately. Now that I know some of his little tricks and stuff, he's good. Like, really good. No wonder Abadongo loves him so much.

Oh gosh, I love his F-smash and Shuttle Loop. He's definitely going into my oversized list of pocket characters. Maybe even a secondary. He's never going to replace Mewtwo or Optizard, though.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Shame Hyuga didn't make top 8. Was rooting him for him... his Toon Link is siickkkk. He makes me want to play the little guy.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I'm sad Mewtwo didn't make top anything...if he was in the tournament at all. At least Ness got some representation. :/

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I'm glad I went with Mewtwo for main #3. So little representation, so hopefully someday, I can help rep him up more.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
At first, I was a little upset that both Mewtwo used Mega Mewtwo X, but then I realized that Shadow Mewtwo wasn't always Mega Evolved in battle. Maybe I missed something obvious, but I was under the impression that Shadow Mewtwo would always fight in his Mega Shadow Mewtwo X form (I think it was the fact that Shadow Mewtwo always seemed to be in Mega X state during his boss battle), rather than Mega Evolution being his Burst Attack. So, that means that both Mewtwo Mega Evolve into their Mega X forms for their respective Burst Attacks, which probably means that Shadow Mewtwo is a clone of Mewtwo in every way except stats. I suppose that justifies it, so I'm not terribly upset anymore. Sort of makes this post moot, I guess, but whatever:p.
While you are probably right, to be fair we haven't even seen regular Mewtwo's moves yet. I think they will likely be clones, but I dunno... Pika Libre has some unique moves. Maybe it'll be a Mario-Luigi situation, maybe not.

One thing Shadow Mewtwo does that I don't think the regular one will do is the attack Shadow does with the bi-colored energy blades on its arms. It seems inspired by those pointy crystal things it wills into existence for no reason.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
I don't think Abadango didn't use any other character than MK - probably would've been smart to switch. He got a somewhat low placement, at 49th?

I don't even know if he was used at all... well, that kind of just darkened my future.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
People need a new perspective on things.

Yeah its lame that Mewtwo wasnt seen at all at G3 but theres one simple reason why;

None of the notable M2 mains went to Genesis. There are other major tournaments on the other side of USA which will get Mewtwo rep so his lack of use at Genesis doesnt mean anything other than his high level mains werent there. Lots of other characters had similar fates like Pacman, Megaman, Dark Pit, Greninja and more characters who are definitely viable enough but they just didnt have the players there.

TBH Abadango getting knocked out at 49th by refusing to switch off metaknight is deserved, maybe he will learn a lesson from that. His complete over-reliance on dash attack got exposed and he refuses to try anything new. People are catching on to metaknights nonsense and camping the ledge much, much more now so those combos dont work. I hope that performance will make him pull out Mewtwo more because that 100% MK gamble absolutely did not pay off, for someone who has placed top 5 in the last 2 majors.

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
People need a new perspective on things.

Yeah its lame that Mewtwo wasnt seen at all at G3 but theres one simple reason why;

None of the notable M2 mains went to Genesis. There are other major tournaments on the other side of USA which will get Mewtwo rep so his lack of use at Genesis doesnt mean anything other than his high level mains werent there. Lots of other characters had similar fates like Pacman, Megaman, Dark Pit, Greninja and more characters who are definitely viable enough but they just didnt have the players there.
Oh. Well, okay then.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Plus, Mewtwo isn't that advanced when compared to other characters. Shiek and ZSS have a in-depth metagame, while Mewtwo is still figuring things out.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Plus, Mewtwo isn't that advanced when compared to other characters. Shiek and ZSS have a in-depth metagame, while Mewtwo is still figuring things out.
Well, it's only been about a month or so since cloud came out - which is when Mewtwo's buffs came out - which is probably the time when people start actually take notice of him. So.. ye.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Kanto on Unreal Engine:
cancel 2016, we have a winner already
Btw, I'm on the Twitch channels for both the Sm4sh and Melee right now, seeing Smash 4 people talking about streaming times while the Melee people focuses on saying why Sm4sh is boring and bad :facepalm:

Sonicninja115

Kanto on Unreal Engine:
Btw, I'm on the Twitch channels for both the Sm4sh and Melee right now, seeing Smash 4 people talking about streaming times while the Melee people focuses on saying why Sm4sh is boring and bad :facepalm:
Melee is good, it is just the bandwagoners. sm4sh is just as good as melee right now. ZeRo was apparently top 40ish in Melee as of 2014, so you can't say play a real game to him. (17th in 2013, he played the unmentionable games more in 2014)

Also, 2 PST, 5 EST?. It is going to be fun. GF's matches just to get top 13...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The funny thing is, a lot more effort is needed to utilize Sheik and Zero Suit Samus to their fullest, simply because they don't have that many heavy-hitting attacks. You can actually KO things with much less effort if you're using Bowser, but obviously, he lacks the mobility that Sheik and Zero Suit Samus are known for, and because most of Bowser's attacks are so strong, it's very hard to do any follow-ups with them.

Mewtwo is definitely less advanced than Sheik and Zero Suit Samus, thanks to its larger arsenal of KO moves, but the main problem is that its offensive game isn't all that impressive, and some of its best attacks involve grabbing opponents, which is hindered by a subpar grab range.

Sonicninja115

The funny thing is, a lot more effort is needed to utilize Sheik and Zero Suit Samus to their fullest, simply because they don't have that many heavy-hitting attacks. You can actually KO things with much less effort if you're using Bowser, but obviously, he lacks the mobility that Sheik and Zero Suit Samus are known for, and because most of Bowser's attacks are so strong, it's very hard to do any follow-ups with them.

Mewtwo is definitely less advanced than Sheik and Zero Suit Samus, thanks to its larger arsenal of KO moves, but the main problem is that its offensive game isn't all that impressive, and some of its best attacks involve grabbing opponents, which is hindered by a subpar grab range.
advanced metagame wise... should've specified...

I agree to some extent. Shiek and ZSS (sometimes) have to put in more work to get the same goal. That is why I believe Mewtwo has a nonexistent (somewhat) grab combo game and a lightweight. can you imagine Dthrow-Fair/dtilt/Uair comboing? Mewtwo with Marth weight? That would make him S tier.

A rather easy time killing.
Phenomenal recovery
amazing combo game, with many high damage combos
Kill-set-ups
good weight
top 15 speed.
top 10 edgeguards
best airdodge (this is a thing actually)
A reflector
reliable projectile
a stunner that spells instant death over 60% (maybe 70%)
a teleport
top 20 grab game

weakness
shortish grab
sorta floaty
none me can think of...
big frame?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
advanced metagame wise... should've specified...

I agree to some extent. Shiek and ZSS (sometimes) have to put in more work to get the same goal. That is why I believe Mewtwo has a nonexistent (somewhat) grab combo game and a lightweight. can you imagine Dthrow-Fair/dtilt/Uair comboing? Mewtwo with Marth weight? That would make him S tier.

A rather easy time killing.
Phenomenal recovery
amazing combo game, with many high damage combos
Kill-set-ups
good weight
top 15 speed.
top 10 edgeguards
best airdodge (this is a thing actually)
A reflector
reliable projectile
a stunner that spells instant death over 60% (maybe 70%)
a teleport
top 20 grab game

weakness
shortish grab
sorta floaty
none me can think of...
big frame?
He also has slightly sub-par frame data on most moves, but that's just the price you pay for range in this game.

Sonicninja115

He also has slightly sub-par frame data on most moves, but that's just the price you pay for range in this game.
Thats right. The shieldstun for aerials is insane, but for tilts it is sub-par. I believe Ftilt is -11. (to lazy to look it up in the guide.)

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Well, it's only been about a month or so since cloud came out - which is when Mewtwo's buffs came out - which is probably the time when people start actually take notice of him. So.. ye.
Yet there happened to be a lot of Cloud players at the tournament.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Yet there happened to be a lot of Cloud players at the tournament.
It's because he's a new character and people are investing a lot more time into him - and while more people are investing into Mewtwo, he's not nearly as popular as Cloud is right now.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
It's kinda off topic but earlier i faced my Captain Falcon Amiibo with Mewtwo and 3 stocked that sucker, sure it doesn't sound that impressive but the things i did in the match i plan to upload onto my youtube channel later...

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Kanto on Unreal Engine:
The Melee community is turning into such cancer... it's sad...

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
The Melee community is turning into such cancer... it's sad...
Still watching Smash 64.... almost the whole 64 Top 8 stream was people dissing 64 or 4 and complaining about how Sm4sh fans get so mad when you dis the game but Melee fans won't care if the same is done to their game.... and yet there was no Melee dissing nor people trying to defend Sm4sh at all lol
Although those were just trolls being trolls.... but the people chatting before the stream begun were being serious.... *sigh*

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Speaking of amiibo, even if you don't teach them to use items, they WILL go after the same kinds of items as the CPU.
I've found they share a lot of habits with CPU. Ever noticed how a level 9 CPU never taunts, for instance? Same thing with a level 50 amiibo.

I'm pretty sure amiibo use the regular CPU's AI as a base and builds off of that.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've found they share a lot of habits with CPU. Ever noticed how a level 9 CPU never taunts, for instance? Same thing with a level 50 amiibo.

I'm pretty sure amiibo use the regular CPU's AI as a base and builds off of that.
Yeah the odd part is that my smash attack usage with Mewtwo is on the low side, and yet even though my Mewtwo amiibo started out using some of my Mewtwo's tactics, it eventually ditched those tactics as a whole, and starting being a smash attack abuser.

Basically, it's quite pointless to teach an amiibo what to do, since it'll just ditch your teachings in the end, and frankly, their only purpose is to grind for random equipment.

I still find it strange that a level 9 CPU never taunts, even when taunting is completely safe to do. In Melee and Brawl, the level 9s tend to always taunt after making a KO, assuming that there aren't any other opponents around.

Last edited:

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
Yeah the odd part is that my smash attack usage with Mewtwo is on the low side, and yet even though my Mewtwo amiibo started out using some of my Mewtwo's tactics, it eventually ditched those tactics as a whole, and starting being a smash attack abuser.

Basically, it's quite pointless to teach an amiibo what to do, since it'll just ditch your teachings in the end, and frankly, their only purpose is to grind for random equipment.

I still find it strange that a level 9 CPU never taunts, even when taunting is completely safe to do. In Melee and Brawl, the level 9s tend to always taunt after making a KO, assuming that there aren't any other opponents around.
Yeah I've noticed that trend when i leveled up all my Amiibo's to 50 and just the other day got a :4ganondorf:Amiibo taught it to do nothing but side-B... and after it passed the 30's it just quit grabbing me off stage and doing the combo's I taught it.... kinda sucks

BasedGamerAce

Smash Cadet
NNID
BasedGamerAce
I was kinda sad that no m2 mains went (or if they did, weren't on stream). I would've love to have some more play to study (since I'm a new m2 main).

I can't lie, I didn't even know Abadango had m2 as a secondary. I seen it a while back, but I just assumed he used m2 because dlc hype. I thought he was a pac-man main that had metaknight as a secondary (it seems like it's the other way around now though). But going metaknight all g3? That wasn't very smart, seeing how everyone's learning/mastering that matchup in some way.

Oh, btw I'm a new m2 main. Right now I solo him, but I'm kinda looking for a secondary. Hopefully I can help advance the meta, and represent this character.

...I'm back.
Lucky for me, the whole charade with Mewtwo was dropped, and so I'm back here. I played him at my local and got... well, it's hard to explain. I was sort of tied for 4th with 3 other players in a swiss rounds out of 11 players. Anyway, I'm happy to have changed my skin to orange. I use the Creamsicle tag with it.

So Chandelure huh? I kind of wanted it, but didnt think it would work. And well, here it works. Good job to the Pokken team.
I'll keep Greeninja around for a while because the world needs more :4greninja:. But I'm pretty much a full time Mewtwo now.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271

Oh, I don't know. My level 50 Zelda kicks my ass then does her down 'wave good-bye' taunt all the time. It would be infuriating if I didn't love her so much. Dr. Mario, though? That dude's a prick.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I was kinda sad that no m2 mains went (or if they did, weren't on stream). I would've love to have some more play to study (since I'm a new m2 main).

I can't lie, I didn't even know Abadango had m2 as a secondary. I seen it a while back, but I just assumed he used m2 because dlc hype. I thought he was a pac-man main that had metaknight as a secondary (it seems like it's the other way around now though). But going metaknight all g3? That wasn't very smart, seeing how everyone's learning/mastering that matchup in some way.

Oh, btw I'm a new m2 main. Right now I solo him, but I'm kinda looking for a secondary. Hopefully I can help advance the meta, and represent this character.
Welcome!

I think Kirby and Ike all supplement Mewtwo well. Kirby does well against several top tiers (he's tiny and hard to combo), while Ike deals with annoying heavyweights.

People say Fox is Mewtwo's worst match-up. I dunno what beats Fox since he's so solid and balanced.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Can't say I'd expect Mewtwo myself in a big tournament that's like, full of Diddies and Sheiks and other stuff Mewtwo doesn't match up well against.

Sonicninja115

Welcome!

I think Kirby and Ike all supplement Mewtwo well. Kirby does well against several top tiers (he's tiny and hard to combo), while Ike deals with annoying heavyweights.

People say Fox is Mewtwo's worst match-up. I dunno what beats Fox since he's so solid and balanced.
Gimping characters. Shiek, Villager, Rosa come to mind.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Gimping characters. Shiek, Villager, Rosa come to mind.
Those are your anti-Fox picks, to clarify?

I think Rosa or Mario are great picks that do well against any character, so those are solid secondary picks.

Can't say I'd expect Mewtwo myself in a big tournament that's like, full of Diddies and Sheiks and other stuff Mewtwo doesn't match up well against.
After seeing Blue and Mew² kick some ass, I'm convinced it can be done. All that remains is the will to execute the plan.

Part of being a character loyalist type of player means taking huge risks to further your character's metagame. If your character has some horrible match-ups, that's what secondaries are for. Even DK Will uses Shiek on occasion.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh, I don't know. My level 50 Zelda kicks my *** then does her down 'wave good-bye' taunt all the time. It would be infuriating if I didn't love her so much. Dr. Mario, though? That dude's a prick.
It's been a really long time since I played with a level 50 amiibo...maybe I'm misremembering.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
This was a match I had against my level 50 falcon... Feel free to criticize my gameplay I'm always looking for room to improve..

Last edited:
Top Bottom