• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SourceCast #1 - DLC, Ballot, And New Slots!

Delving into the mind of Sakurai through digging into translations is common work for the awesome folks at Source Gaming. Many of their creative minds alongside a special guest came together to discuss some of the things they've dug up related to recent news in a brand new podcast! In the first episode of what has been dubbed SourceCast Smashboards writer PushDustIn alongside Nantendo, Spazzy_D, SmashChu, and special guest RelaxAlax came together to discuss DLC, the Smash Ballot, and the new character slots recently added to the game.​

Like the content? Be sure to follow Source Gaming on Twitter and consider supporting Source Gaming's efforts on Patreon as they provide all of their translations and content without ads on their website.

Last edited:

Comments

Considering Shovel Knight isn't out in Japan... I highly doubt he's going to be (one of) the ballot choice(s). I'm trying to think of how I would feel if the ballot character ended up being an indie character from a game only ever released in Japan; and I think I'd be majorly let down.

A better choice would certainly be a character who is known throughout the whole world, and honestly... I'd really like to see the Inklings. I'm a little partial because I LOVE Splatoon, but I also feel as though they could have a unique moveset.

Another thing I've considered, and I'm sure everyone will disagree, I don't think these 3 empty spots are for the ballot winners. I think they're for cut veterans... Ice Climbers, Snake & Wolf. Everyone wants them back and I think these spots are for them. I understand they were unable to get Ice Climbers to work on the 3DS, but that was due to time constraints --- now that they're doing DLC, they have TIME! This is just my thought. I'm probably just in denial because my Ice Climber-less heart is broken. :)
You're my kind of guy. ((Inkling may be my most wanted))

sorry, but i know who shovel knight is. who is giana, again? do they have an amiibo?

not that i even want shovel knight in the game, but i at least know who he is.
Look up Giana Sisters, Oh and LOOK MORE than just her first game on the C64. Yes, Her original game was pulled off shelves, but ironically the series was rebooted. On the DS of all things.

I also kind of want to add, Shovel Knights game isn't even out in Japan yet. Even Giana has been in Japan for a while.

And if what I heard about Little Mac's reputation in Japan being true ((with him being called "Amercan Scrub" apparently)) I can only assume Shovel Knight may get an even worse reputation there in all honesty. Just saying here.

Honestly? I don't want to see King K. Rool. I feel like he'll just be Mewtwo all over again. People will play for a month, realize that's he's not all that good, and then never touch him. Not that I can really tell as of of right now, but seeing how a majority of the heavy weights are at the moment...

What do you guys think about majora link?
Link can change masks to Zora, deku scrub, and goron! Kinda like Pokemon trainer, (then we can ditch toon link)

Last edited:
Honestly? I don't want to see King K. Rool. I feel like he'll just be Mewtwo all over again. People will play for a month, realize that's he's not all that good, and then never touch him. Not that I can really tell as of of right now, but seeing how a majority of the heavy weights are at the moment...
M2 isn't a heavyweight, but you're still largely correct (except about DK...).

Dont slander a character just because YOU dont know who they are. Thats how everyone felt about Shantae, and she's about to make it in. Besides, youre SITTING AT a computer for God's sake, you cant give that man the courtesy of respecting his opinion and putting Giana in your search engine?

Arrogant know-it-alls who put people down for no reason, (aka, you) are why the general population doesnt like competitive smash, its full of inconsiderate, ignorant, condescending, uncultured swine like yourself.
nice bait, but i wasn't claiming to know everything, nor was i being any of the things you are mentioning. i just asked who giana was, don't assume I did not google it. it wasn't exactly helpful. i suggest rereading your post and seeing if it applies to yourself, though.

on topic, shantae isn't "about to make it in", i'm not sure what source you got that from.

Last edited:
Considering Shovel Knight isn't out in Japan... I highly doubt he's going to be (one of) the ballot choice(s). I'm trying to think of how I would feel if the ballot character ended up being an indie character from a game only ever released in Japan; and I think I'd be majorly let down.

A better choice would certainly be a character who is known throughout the whole world, and honestly... I'd really like to see the Inklings. I'm a little partial because I LOVE Splatoon, but I also feel as though they could have a unique moveset.

Another thing I've considered, and I'm sure everyone will disagree, I don't think these 3 empty spots are for the ballot winners. I think they're for cut veterans... Ice Climbers, Snake & Wolf. Everyone wants them back and I think these spots are for them. I understand they were unable to get Ice Climbers to work on the 3DS, but that was due to time constraints --- now that they're doing DLC, they have TIME! This is just my thought. I'm probably just in denial because my Ice Climber-less heart is broken. :)
Imagine if Nintendo made a Smash character out of an effeminate, visually subtle swordsman who'd never been in an American game. And didn't even bother translating his lines. That'd be such a letdown.

Or if they made a Smash character and invented his moveset more or less wholecloth because he had only one game a generation ago where all he did was drive. Ughh, I'd HATE that.

Guys, learn from history here. Smash characters can only ever be iconic first party mascots known around the world or they'll just end up terrible and forgotten.

Imagine if Nintendo made a Smash character out of an effeminate, visually subtle swordsman who'd never been in an American game. And didn't even bother translating his lines. That'd be such a letdown.

Or if they made a Smash character and invented his moveset more or less wholecloth because he had only one game a generation ago where all he did was drive. Ughh, I'd HATE that.

Guys, learn from history here. Smash characters can only ever be iconic first party mascots known around the world or they'll just end up terrible and forgotten.
While I don't appreciate your sarcasm, I will respond maturely anyway.

This is a ballot character, which means the world is voting for this (or these) character(s). While he does have the last say, this isn't Sakurai's personal decision. This isn't just a random character being added to a roster to help represent an under-represented franchise that Nintendo has long since stored in their vaults (Duck Hunt, G&W, R.O.B.) or to represent a character that is popular in one region and never heard of in another (Marth, Roy).
This (or these) character(s) are for "fan service." All I was saying is I would be surprised if the character who won the overall majority of votes is a character that half the world has never been exposed to. I'm well aware of the fact that Sakurai's decisions are not always based on world popularity, or we'd never have characters like Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk, Captain Falcon, Little Mac or LUCAS (who I had never even heard of and is my favorite character).

To add to that, I wouldn't be disappointed if Shovel Knight DID make it in. I freakin' love Shovel Knight... so STOP BEIN' MEAN.

Oh, and since we're talking about it, I wonder which characters are on the constantly spoken of on Japanese forums. Any idea??

Last edited:
While I don't appreciate your sarcasm, I will respond maturely anyway.

This is a ballot character, which means the world is voting for this (or these) character(s). While he does have the last say, this isn't Sakurai's personal decision. This isn't just a random character being added to a roster to help represent an under-represented franchise that Nintendo has long since stored in their vaults (Duck Hunt, G&W, R.O.B.) or to represent a character that is popular in one region and never heard of in another (Marth, Roy).
This (or these) character(s) are for "fan service." All I was saying is I would be surprised if the character who won the overall majority of votes is a character that half the world has never been exposed to. I'm well aware of the fact that Sakurai's decisions are not always based on world popularity, or we'd never have characters like Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk, Captain Falcon, Little Mac or LUCAS (who I had never even heard of and is my favorite character).

To add to that, I wouldn't be disappointed if Shovel Knight DID make it in. I freakin' love Shovel Knight... so STOP BEIN' MEAN.

Oh, and since we're talking about it, I wonder which characters are on the constantly spoken of on Japanese forums. Any idea??
I apologize for coming off as rude. The sarcasm was meant to be an exercise in creativity and (admittedly poor) humor while still communicating my point. I meant no disrespect.

I do agree that there's a partly justified difference in expectations a main roster fighter vs a DLC fighter vs a DLC fighter chosen by ballot. I just think referring to a little known character as a letdown is a bit of a shortsighted reaction, and one that you're not alone in having.

As much as we whine about his choices, Sakurai has made some pretty unique and wonderful things in Smash, and its appeal doesn't entirely ride on brand recognition.

Personal opinion stuff:
I'd rather see a character I'd never heard of who was interesting to play than a big name who played awfully, or didn't bring anything new to the table. Though obviously I'd like both. In the end, I think we'll be happy with the results. The way I see the ballot is Sakurai opening up his brainstorming session to the world. And with our variety opinions and ideas and justifications filtered through the lens of a developer with a stellar track record, I think we'll get some good stuff. It might just not always be what we think we want.

I apologize for coming off as rude. The sarcasm was meant to be an exercise in creativity and (admittedly poor) humor while still communicating my point. I meant no disrespect.

I do agree that there's a partly justified difference in expectations a main roster fighter vs a DLC fighter vs a DLC fighter chosen by ballot. I just think referring to a little known character as a letdown is a bit of a shortsighted reaction, and one that you're not alone in having.

As much as we whine about his choices, Sakurai has made some pretty unique and wonderful things in Smash, and its appeal doesn't entirely ride on brand recognition.

Personal opinion stuff:
I'd rather see a character I'd never heard of who was interesting to play than a big name who played awfully, or didn't bring anything new to the table. Though obviously I'd like both. In the end, I think we'll be happy with the results. The way I see the ballot is Sakurai opening up his brainstorming session to the world. And with our variety opinions and ideas and justifications filtered through the lens of a developer with a stellar track record, I think we'll get some good stuff. It might just not always be what we think we want.
We're good dude. :)

You're absolutely right, we'll be happy with the results I'm sure. I will say honestly that my initial feeling will be disappointment if we end up with a character I've never even heard of, but like everything Sakurai does, I end up loving it. My friend actually gets annoyed with me because I refuse to say (or let her say) anything bad about any of his games...
The one thing I love the most about Sakurai adding characters I don't know is it makes me pick up their game. As a result, I've played a lot of games I never would have played otherwise. When Smash 64 came out, I was in 5th grade and had never played a Zelda, Kirby, F-Zero, Earthbound or Metroid game. They're some of my favorites now... I played Fire Emblem Awakening because of Lucina & Robin's announcement and I picked up Xenoblade specifically because Shulk (who I only knew of because of the "leak") was announced for Smash - it's now one of my favorite games of all time. In a big way, Smash Bros & Sakurai have shaped the way I game, so I always respect his choices.

I also kind of want to add, Shovel Knights game isn't even out in Japan yet. Even Giana has been in Japan for a while.

And if what I heard about Little Mac's reputation in Japan being true ((with him being called "Amercan Scrub" apparently)) I can only assume Shovel Knight may get an even worse reputation there in all honesty. Just saying here.
Just something I want to share in case most missed it.

Again, I think he would be cool... But he should wait until Smash 5. Unlike Inklings, He's 3rd party. And his history with Nintendo is little to none, I'm sorry.

What do you guys think about majora link?
Link can change masks to Zora, deku scrub, and goron! Kinda like Pokemon trainer, (then we can ditch toon link)
That was actually my Smash Ballot suggestion, since I brought up using Shulk's style of gameplay, since previously we've been told that transformation characters weren't an option due to 3DS hardware. (Which is why Shiek and Zelda are sep.)

Shulk's arts aren't a complete character change. He has the same model, moves, etc, just different stats. Mask transformations would be new models, movesets, et cetera. They're simply not feasible.

I'm still thinking the obvious choice is Wolf. He was a popular veteran, is perfect to promote SF Zero in a few months, and satisfies their need for at least one more returning Brawl veteran. Also, he WAS kinda cool.

Also, as for newcomers, Bandana Dee is the obvious choice for newcomer. The Kirby franchise needs a new character, and he's the obvious one.

As for the third, I'm thinking Shantae, Quote, Amaterasu(PLEASE), or Shovel Knight for third-party, and Daisy, Ice Climbers(Yes, I know they weren't put in Smash 4 for a reason, but that reason is bull), or Grovyle.

Last edited:
From you own words:

How are those anymore valid than Ryu? I'm just pointing out that you're literally listing characters Nintendo doesn't own the rights to and doesn't have any sort of contract to use unlike Ryu.

Banjo-Kazooie is a Microsoft product now. Previously they were a 2nd-party for Nintendo, now they are not. There wouldn't be Rare collections on Xbox consoles otherwise. There would likely be Banjo games on VC if they had those rights still.

007 is owned by MGM. Not Rare or Nintendo.

Power Rangers is owned by SCG. I'd say they likely have a contract with Disney, given where the show aired for at least the past 8 years.

Super Meat Boy isn't even on a Nintendo console and hasn't been announced to come to one.
Can you read? Like seriously, when has Ryu ever been invited into a Nintendo game? The characters I listed were invited into a Nintendo game before; Ryu hasn't ever been invited into a Nintendo game in the past.

If Nintendo can get Capcom to sign Ryu into Smash-4, then I'm positive Nintendo can get Rare to sign Banjo or whoever other than the remaining Brawl cast characters into Smash-4 to sign with Nintendo. Sigh it's not Rocket Science you're trying to make it a big deal when it's not. Nintendo hasn't lost their rights of these characters (unlike Capcom did with Marvel). Thanks.

Last edited:
Can you read? Like seriously, when has Ryu ever been invited into a Nintendo game? The characters I listed were invited into a Nintendo game before; Ryu hasn't ever been invited into a Nintendo game in the past.

If Nintendo can get Capcom to sign Ryu into Smash-4, then I'm positive Nintendo can get Rare to sign Banjo or whoever other than the remaining Brawl cast characters into Smash-4 to sign with Nintendo. Sigh it's not Rocket Science you're trying to make it a big deal when it's not. Nintendo hasn't lost their rights of these characters (unlike Capcom did with Marvel). Thanks.
That's because Capcom was on the edge of Bankruptcy and needed to do SOMETHING to start digging themselves a way back in. I'm sorry, But there is no way in hell Nintendo is going to make a deal with their competitor's unless they manually buy the IP to Banjo back.
As for the third, I'm thinking Shantae, Quote, Amaterasu(PLEASE), or Shovel Knight for third-party, and Daisy, Ice Climbers(Yes, I know they weren't put in Smash 4 for a reason, but that reason is bull), or Grovyle.
Please read what I said above, Shantae however: I can actually see happening. She started out on the Gameboy Color after all.

Last edited:
Tell me when Banjo (after being bought by Microsoft), 007, the Power Rangers, or Super Meat Boy have been invited into a first-party Nintendo game. One does not simply make a claim without backing it up with proof.
Banjo is owned by Microsoft. Inkluding him in the game would essentially be advertising for Microsoft. That's pretty much the exact opposite of what they want to do with the DLC.

Also, no, they don't have the rights to those characters. If they did, they'd probably be using them.

nice bait, but i wasn't claiming to know everything, nor was i being any of the things you are mentioning. i just asked who giana was, don't assume I did not google it. it wasn't exactly helpful. i suggest rereading your post and seeing if it applies to yourself, though.

on topic, shantae isn't "about to make it in", i'm not sure what source you got that from.
Yknow, youre totally right, that was pretty brazen of me. Dont know what bait is, but it sounds bad. Sorry, in trying to make you see his point, i forgot to acknowledge your perspective. i guess i was just a little peeved at your random and uncalled for use of sarcasm, but retaliating with insults was just childish on my behalf, my apologies.

However, Shantae is near guarenteed, shes maybe the second or third most popular dlc choice imo, if not first. Who do you think will take the three spots if Shantae isnt one of them?

Tell me when Banjo (after being bought by Microsoft), 007, the Power Rangers, or Super Meat Boy have been invited into a first-party Nintendo game. One does not simply make a claim without backing it up with proof.

Banjo is owned by Microsoft. Inkluding him in the game would essentially be advertising for Microsoft. That's pretty much the exact opposite of what they want to do with the DLC.

Also, no, they don't have the rights to those characters. If they did, they'd probably be using them.
I don't care I don't care nor do I want to be seen with Smash-4 related. I only came here to throw a bone towards wanting Wolf Snake and the rest of the Brawl cast. Nintendo should be smart they could choose any other characters they want; they're not a company that can strive like Sega can/did. Without other companies Nintendo is useless.

So Nintendo (will have to) "make a deal" with the other competitors. Some useless information, Nintendo "made a deal" with Sega to add Sonic and I know Nintendo and Sega despises each other. Thanks.

I think if we are to get a "legendary" 3rd party character, I think Bomberman would make the most sense. Everyone knows who he is

But I still have fun playing Mewtwo every now and again. Probably the most fun DLC character IMO

I don't care I don't care nor do I want to be seen with Smash-4 related. I only came here to throw a bone towards wanting Wolf Snake and the rest of the Brawl cast. Nintendo should be smart they could choose any other characters they want; they're not a company that can strive like Sega can/did. Without other companies Nintendo is useless.
You say that as if that's a property exclusive to Nintendo. No company can really make do without an electric company in this day and age (among many other things).
So Nintendo (will have to) "make a deal" with the other competitors. Some useless information, Nintendo "made a deal" with Sega to add Sonic and I know Nintendo and Sega despises each other. Thanks.
Correction, they used to be against each other, back when SEGA were still making consoles. SEGA isn't making consoles anymore (therefore not competing directly with Nintendo), and Sonic games have been coming out for Nintendo platforms -- many of them exclusive -- for a long time now. Microsoft is making consoles (thus competing directly with Nintendo), and they haven't appeared on Nintendo consoles since the acquisition (for obvious reasons).

JHHOON CEENNAAAA confirmed as little mac's rival and clone in SSB4 - SSB6000.

we need to up our ledge game guys.

Yknow, youre totally right, that was pretty brazen of me. Dont know what bait is, but it sounds bad. Sorry, in trying to make you see his point, i forgot to acknowledge your perspective. i guess i was just a little peeved at your random and uncalled for use of sarcasm, but retaliating with insults was just childish on my behalf, my apologies.

However, Shantae is near guarenteed, shes maybe the second or third most popular dlc choice imo, if not first. Who do you think will take the three spots if Shantae isnt one of them?
respect for owning up to your actions. also, i didnt mean to come across as sarcastic. internet, i guess. anyway, it's hard to say. i want to root for isaac, but if i had to guess, probably wolf, i think shovel knight actually stands a big chance, and i'm unsure about the third.

Last edited:
Again, Shovel Knight isn't even out in Japan: And his history with Nintendo is little to none. Did I mention he's a 3rd party far too new? Really why he should wait until Smash 5.
At the very least: I see him being a Mii Swordfighter costume.

Last edited:
Again, Shovel Knight isn't even out in Japan: And his history with Nintendo is little to none. Did I mention he's a 3rd party far too new? Really why he should wait until Smash 5.
At the very least: I see him being a Mii Swordfighter costume.
I'm fine with him being a Mii swordfighter costume, I'd still buy it. Smash 5 is a long time from now though, Sakurai himself even said that Smash 4 will be his last game. So even if someone else picks up the franchise it won't be the same again

respect for owning up to your actions. also, i didnt mean to come across as sarcastic. internet, i guess. anyway, it's hard to say. i want to root for isaac, but if i had to guess, probably wolf, i think shovel knight actually stands a big chance, and i'm unsure about the third.
Hey man, i think Shantae will take up that last spot youre thinkin of. Her or maybe remodeled Ice Climber, aka Sopo with Nana as his specials

Top Bottom