• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SourceCast #1 - DLC, Ballot, And New Slots!

Delving into the mind of Sakurai through digging into translations is common work for the awesome folks at Source Gaming. Many of their creative minds alongside a special guest came together to discuss some of the things they've dug up related to recent news in a brand new podcast! In the first episode of what has been dubbed SourceCast Smashboards writer PushDustIn alongside Nantendo, Spazzy_D, SmashChu, and special guest RelaxAlax came together to discuss DLC, the Smash Ballot, and the new character slots recently added to the game.​

Like the content? Be sure to follow Source Gaming on Twitter and consider supporting Source Gaming's efforts on Patreon as they provide all of their translations and content without ads on their website.

Last edited:

Comments

It's not a hard choice Nintendo sigh like seriously leave Wolf and Snake alone.

here here's a bunch of others that are nintendo character based.

Geko from GekoGX

Bomber man of course

Banjo

Walluigi

Daisy

Toad

Dry bones

Wild cards that are obscure

Power Rangers

Me and my Blob

Meatboy

K.K Rool

There nintendo choices that are Nintendo based at once not "Ryu" such a stupid choice.

Choose your own characters that were created for Nintendo it's not "difficult" it's stupid and pitiful to stress over this trash. You already gave what the majority needed a new Smash game. Now pick any of these characters, leave the last remaining star characters of Brawl, and move on to a better game. Thanks.

Last edited:
Stop the mii fighter love until you can play them in accessible online formats ty. You can play them in tournament mode, just make it happen for glorios. I have so little exp with their Mu's
:c

First they talked about the stages and their adaptations, Mario mqker and how it sux on 3DS in comparison to wii u, how good of an idea Duckhunt was for 3DS, etc.

Next was Mii fighters, but they saved their opinion on whose costumes they wanted added. They, (like most of us) briefly lamented over the Mii Fighters not being tournament legal. Said that Proto-Mans costume was the best, all past it were lackluster. (^-^)

Next was the character slots, three total. Thats at 11:32. Two stage slots too. Found on 3DS version... Yay? As far as promotion goes, Wolf shouldve been in, lol, but he keeps getting crapped on by other vets. Starfox Zero stage would be logical, but nobody expects that. They were like, "Termina Bay, where u @?" They think 1 character is preballot, likely Wolf, but who knows, but two slots are gonna be ballot characters. They have 3 options, eiter 2 of those Mario slots were ballot characters, and they decided to make it 3 later. or two were pre ballot, and the last is the ballot winner. Again, they probs sittin on characters to release so we aint waitin forever.

This is just 18 mins in, so if youre interested, listen starting at 17:30.

I know I am going to piss a lot of people off saying this but... Shovel Knight should wait until Smash 5.

There is kind of a reason why I prefer Giana over him, Now I don't hate SK by any means, but his lack of history with Nintendo AND the fact his game isn't even out in Japan just doesn't make me want him. Plus he's too new, unlike Inklings: Those guys were actually Nintendo. Giana is iconic to some extent, Shovel Knight really... Isn't.

sorry, but i know who shovel knight is. who is giana, again? do they have an amiibo?

not that i even want shovel knight in the game, but i at least know who he is.
Dont slander a character just because YOU dont know who they are. Thats how everyone felt about Shantae, and she's about to make it in. Besides, youre SITTING AT a computer for God's sake, you cant give that man the courtesy of respecting his opinion and putting Giana in your search engine?

Arrogant know-it-alls who put people down for no reason, (aka, you) are why the general population doesnt like competitive smash, its full of inconsiderate, ignorant, condescending, uncultured swine like yourself.

Last edited:
Dont slander a character just because YOU dont know who they are. Thats how everyone felt about Shantae, and she's about to make it in. Besides, youre SITTING AT a computer for God's sake, you cant give that man the courtesy of respecting his opinion and putting Giana in your search engine?

Arrogant know-it-alls who put people down for no reason, (aka, you) are why the general population doesnt like competitive smash, its full of inconsiderate, ignorant, condescending, uncultured swine like yourself.
Your post is why people don't like highly competitive communities or any online community. Someone said Giana has a somewhat iconic status but if a core Nintendo gamer does not know how or what that character is it is not iconic in any way. The OP was kinda rude but your post reeks of more arrogance then the OP.

Newcomer over veterans

Much rather have someone fresh to the cast like King K.Rool or Shovel Knight over Wolf or Snake

User was warned for this post
The smash ballot is a joke and a failure. We don't need another lame-ass nerdy typical cartoonish video game character. We need something unique, something that will spice things up and attract worldwide attention.

We need 50 Cent for Smash 4, make your voices heard guys.

https://www.facebook.com/50cent4sm4sh

Considering Shovel Knight isn't out in Japan... I highly doubt he's going to be (one of) the ballot choice(s). I'm trying to think of how I would feel if the ballot character ended up being an indie character from a game only ever released in Japan; and I think I'd be majorly let down.

A better choice would certainly be a character who is known throughout the whole world, and honestly... I'd really like to see the Inklings. I'm a little partial because I LOVE Splatoon, but I also feel as though they could have a unique moveset.

Another thing I've considered, and I'm sure everyone will disagree, I don't think these 3 empty spots are for the ballot winners. I think they're for cut veterans... Ice Climbers, Snake & Wolf. Everyone wants them back and I think these spots are for them. I understand they were unable to get Ice Climbers to work on the 3DS, but that was due to time constraints --- now that they're doing DLC, they have TIME! This is just my thought. I'm probably just in denial because my Ice Climber-less heart is broken. :)

In past games, the Climbers had two character files -- one for Popo, one for Nana. So if they were inkluded in these slots, they'd most likely take up two.

Of course, there's nothing to say that they'll just add another slot or something.

Last edited:
Nintendo publishing Shovel Knight in Japan!? If I was confident Shovel Knight would get in before, I'd bet my life on it now. Assuming the rumors are true, of course.

Last edited:
"Based" which means the characters were invited with Nintendo products so Nintendo still has rights towards rights and such. Nintendo is over thinking garbage not hard to please fans these days (especially Smash related). Thanks.
From you own words:
There nintendo choices that are Nintendo based at once not "Ryu" such a stupid choice.
How are those anymore valid than Ryu? I'm just pointing out that you're literally listing characters Nintendo doesn't own the rights to and doesn't have any sort of contract to use unlike Ryu.

Banjo-Kazooie is a Microsoft product now. Previously they were a 2nd-party for Nintendo, now they are not. There wouldn't be Rare collections on Xbox consoles otherwise. There would likely be Banjo games on VC if they had those rights still.

007 is owned by MGM. Not Rare or Nintendo.

Power Rangers is owned by SCG. I'd say they likely have a contract with Disney, given where the show aired for at least the past 8 years.

Super Meat Boy isn't even on a Nintendo console and hasn't been announced to come to one.

I like how Smash was originally the pantheon of nintendo super stars and now everyone is begging for jank irrelevant nonsense that no one has heard of or cares about. It's quite repulsive to watch.

From you own words:

How are those anymore valid than Ryu? I'm just pointing out that you're literally listing characters Nintendo doesn't own the rights to and doesn't have any sort of contract to use unlike Ryu.

Banjo-Kazooie is a Microsoft product now. Previously they were a 2nd-party for Nintendo, now they are not. There wouldn't be Rare collections on Xbox consoles otherwise. There would likely be Banjo games on VC if they had those rights still.

007 is owned by MGM. Not Rare or Nintendo.

Power Rangers is owned by SCG. I'd say they likely have a contract with Disney, given where the show aired for at least the past 8 years.

Super Meat Boy isn't even on a Nintendo console and hasn't been announced to come to one.
To think Super Meat Boy would have come at no extra cost from Nintendo if they used the character for Smash, given that it was a long time ago, Nintendo rejected that idea. My reason must be cause in order to be in Nintendo's all star game, they would have to have a rich history with Nintendo

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._nintendo_if_meat_boy_made_it_into_smash_bros

and in comes the Smash Ballot to cancel out that ideal

Last edited:
Top Bottom