• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soul Calibur Discussion

finalark

SNORLAX
So if they ever do a SoulCalibur VI, what new characters would you guys like to see?
Guest characters wise, Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat, Link, or Trunks from DBZ
On a theoretical Wii U/NX version? A Fire Emblem character. Preferably Ike or Hector.

On the PS4/Xbone version? Well, Dante from Devil May Cry was originally planned for SCIII but was cut for unknown reasons and I think I'd be really cool to see him in the game.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
My two CAS's of Leaf and Kris are so old, it took a lot of digging to find them again:
Anyways, as much as I'd like to see Link again, Ganondorf would be just as fun of an idea. Imagine him smacking Algol around :p

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I'm not a fan of Patrokolos, but I wouldn't mind if he returned.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
Original Patroklos I wouldn't mind coming back. Alpha Pat can go in favor of returning Setsuka. :)

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
I want all the original characters to come back with a vengeance. I don't need none of those wannabes like Yun Seong, Maxi or Astaroth when we got bona fide badasses like Hwang, Li-Long and Rock waiting in the wings. :smash:

As far as Patroklos, and by extension the SC5 new-comers, eh... I'm not terribly keen on most of them coming back. A lot of them are just shallow versions of veteran members of the cast. You may as well bring back the old guard IMO instead of continuing to peddle the newer stuff that people aren't keen on.

That being said, SC5 did bring some stuff to the table that was interesting and worth keeping. My only problem with a lot the stuff I see as being worth keeping is that I don't like the... 'dressing' of it, so to speak. Like, I think ZWEI's design is naff and I don't find his character endearing at all. But his fighting style is cool. I'd happily retain his fighting style in the series even if it was given to a completely different character altogether. Same for Patroklos. Only exception I guess I would make would be Viola, who I'd like to see come back in her entirety.

XbusterKosmos

Keyblade Master
been an sc fan for a long time but after 4 ended, i lost interest overall in the series.

sc5 was not well received by me, though it was definitely am improvement over gameplay.

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
I want all the original characters to come back with a vengeance. I don't need none of those wannabes like Yun Seong, Maxi or Astaroth when we got bona fide badasses like Hwang, Li-Long and Rock waiting in the wings. :smash:
You do realize Yun-Seong is a more popular character than Hwang, and his playstyle is flashier and harder to master than Hwang's. I mean, I like Hwang but I love Yun-Seong, Rock and Li Long I don't play with so I have no knowledge of them

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
I still have SCII on the GC and I've played it a bunch. I never really got good at it, but I think it's a really fun game. The Extra VS mode especially, since you can use a bunch of weapons unlocked. Maining Mitsurugi myself with Sophitia as a secondary.
I also had the opportunity to play the original SC on a Dreamcast and I have to say, the game holds up really well. For being over 10 years old, it looks amazing and plays pretty much like the second one.
My friend also got SCV on the 360 and we played some of that, but I didn't think it was all that fun. I don't know why either. I can't really explain what it was about it, but there was something that didn't click. Maybe it's a grower? No idea what the general SC community's opinion is.

finalark

SNORLAX
My friend also got SCV on the 360 and we played some of that, but I didn't think it was all that fun. I don't know why either. I can't really explain what it was about it, but there was something that didn't click. Maybe it's a grower? No idea what the general SC community's opinion is.
I really, really wanted to like SCV. As someone who poured dozens of hours into the game trying desperately to love it I think I can pinpoint it's issues.

The root of SCV's problems is that the team's ambitions were way above what their budget could ever possibly allow. The SCV we got was only 1/4 of the planned game. The story mode was going to be much, much longer with every playable character getting roughly equal focus, Elysium and Kilik were turned into mimic characters because of time constraints, arcade mode being short and not having a different ending for each character was also due to unrealistic ambitions.

And that's just glossing over cut and changed features. Let's delve into the actual game play. Because Project Soul's budgeting issues, a number of character have incomplete movesets in addition to numerous balance issues. Let's talk about how Guard Impact was changed. Originally, it was a tool to punish players who relied on telegraphed attacks or who bum rushed in without a second thought. Not to mention it was a great was to deal with button mashers. Now it's slow, difficult to use and very telegraphed, which is part of why Natsu is so OP in that game. Without classic Guard Impact, certain characters are very, very difficult to get around.

Last thing worth mentioning is how poorly handled the time skip was. The fact is, if you're going to do a time skip go all the way or don't do it at all. SCV half assed it's time skip instead of boldly shaking up the status quo like it was supposed to. Out of the entire cast the only characters to be visibly affected by it are Seigy and Mitsu while everyone else is either replaced with new characters or has some BS excuse for not aging. I'm not even going to get into the unfortunate implications about how all of the supposedly older female characters were swept under the rug, but it's worth acknowledging that it's there. Finally, there's the new characters who are really bland and unappealing. Lexia is basically identical to Xianghua, Xiba's only personality traits is that he's dumber than a sack of bricks and likes to eat, Natsu's is cheery because Taki was serious and so on. /endrant

As far as the community at large's two cents goes, most agree that SCV was a let down. I know it got some competitive play but like SCIII once the game's balance issues became apparent it quickly died out. I'd love to see SCI or II get a revival, but unfortunately most people only care about Link their nostalgia instead of playing the game competitively.

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
What about SCII HD which was released in 2013? Isn't it at least fairly popular? I really do like SCII, but if the HD port didn't change any features or mechanics for the worse, I can see myself buying it.

finalark

SNORLAX
What about SCII HD which was released in 2013? Isn't it at least fairly popular? I really do like SCII, but if the HD port didn't change any features or mechanics for the worse, I can see myself buying it.
Unfortunately I hear it's a pretty shoddy port. IIRC it's missing a few features, has unskippable pre/post fight cut scenes and really bad netcode. I haven't played it myself though, so I'm not sure how detrimental it is to the overall experience.

But hey, Spawn and Heihachi in the same game.

Last edited:

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Unfortunately I hear it's a pretty shoddy port. IIRC it's missing a few features, has unskippable pre/post fight cut scenes and really bad netcode. I haven't played it myself though, so I'm not sure how detrimental it is to the overall experience.

But hey, Spawn and Heihachi in the same game.
As someone who has played the HD port and cried about it for hours, it is a pretty big let down.
Why does an old gen game on more powerful hardware end up getting framerate issues? I don't understand.

finalark

SNORLAX
They already did remaster Soulcalibur 1. I heard it was missing features though.
Which is a real shame since the DC version stills holds up really well over a decade later.

They should remaster or remake Soul Calibur I or III
If we got on SCIII port I'd really hope they actually add in the balance changes made in the arcade edition. It would be a shame to see SCIII again only for the game to immediately lose any chance at having a competitive scene because Namco couldn't be bothered.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Namco just seems soo indifferent to Soul Calibur
Or is it just me?

finalark

SNORLAX
Namco just seems soo indifferent to Soul Calibur
Or is it just me?
Ever since they set the series down a much more casual path with SCIII they've pretty much only cared about Tekken.

Which is a shame, because at one point in time SC was the premiere fighting franchise for Namco while Tekken was struggling. Unfortunately, now that Tekken has returned to its cashcow status and SC is thrown into the same "fanservice fighter" bin as DOA Namco has proven that they don't care anymore.

Top Bottom