• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soul Calibur Discussion

finalark

SNORLAX
So if they ever do a SoulCalibur VI, what new characters would you guys like to see?
If SCVI was to get a Wii U release it would be neat to see a Fire Emblem character, as @KingBro1 said. Even if that were the case I doubt we'd see that though. Fire Emblem is significantly less marketable than LoZ.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Original character-wise, it'd be pretty cool to see someone use a Zewihander, with the same stances use when actually fighting with one. Imagine being able to switch from a longsword/two handed style to a more polearm-like stance. The Soul series is no stranger to two-handed swords, polearms or stance-based characters, I'd feel it'd be a pretty neat choice.

Fusion?

Smash Rookie
NNID
Fusion_it_is
Now that I think about it, I'm really shocked we haven't seen any Tales characters as guest characters yet, even though one could make the argument that Tales is self-contained.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Now that I think about it, I'm really shocked we haven't seen any Tales characters as guest characters yet, even though one could make the argument that Tales is self-contained.
Soul Calibur Legends had Lloyd Irving, though it was a beat 'em up spin-off.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
He'd probably be a bit out of place, but I wouldn't mind FF's Gilgamesh as a guest character.

His entire shtick is that he's a dimension hopping (thanks Exdeath) warrior who goes out of his way to challenge mighty warriors while pursuing the ultimate weapon. His story is literally perfect for a quest character. One day the rift opens up, Gilgamesh appears and hears tales of the legendary soul swords and then sets out to obtain them. Cue much expository banter, morphin' time and bridge-based battling.

finalark

SNORLAX
In a theoretical SCVI I wouldn't mind seeing the time travel thing from the end of SCV's story mode come back. Yeah, it would make the narrative more convoluted than it already was but at least it would give Namco an opportunity to mix the old fighters with the new ones. Not only that, but they would get really creative with the character designs. Adult Talim? Why not? Pre-immorality Zasalamel? Totally possible. Young Tira while she was still in the assassin's guild? Now wouldn't that be interesting.

As far as single player content goes, Namco has made it clear that, as far as they're concerned, custom characters and arcade mode should be enough. However, as SCIV and V's lackluster content as proven, it really isn't. Bring back mission mode, team battle and survival. Not only were these modes fun, but they also made you better at the game. If there's going to be a main story make it so that each character gets their cut scenes that all tell parts of a bigger story, or tell the same story Rashomon style. If they want a "just for fun" mode I think SCII's extra mode where each character could get different weapons with different effects should make a return. It's simple, gives the game a ton of unlockables and lets players who just want to goof around do so without intruding too much on the main competitive game.

Speaking of competitive, this theoretical game must be tested thoroughly before it gets shipped. I don't want any more dead end move sets or obviously broken characters. It would also be nice if Namco kept up with the game and patched out any game breaking moves or exploits that made any characters too powerful.

In reality we'll probably get a game stripped of features and half finished characters, but it would be nice if Namco at least pretended like they care about the series. At least the team who works on these games seems to care about them, if their ambitions with SCV are anything to go off of. Unfortunately, it seems like the folks who pull the strings at Namco would rather put their funds elsewhere.

Yurika

Smash Rookie
I still play 2 from time to time (Gamecube edition) but 4/5 also fun (PS3). Seong Mi Na/Yoshimitsu main here.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Like I said before, Taki was in Namco x Capcom. PXZ is a sequel to NxC. They probably chose Natsu because she's Taki's successor. Mitsu was also in NxC so maybe he'll come back with his updated SCV appearance.
If there are any other characters from SC that I would like to see in PXZ2, I would like to see Siegfride Schtauffen pair up with Sophitia Alexandria.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Soul Calibur is perhaps the only other fighting game besides Smash I've invested time & interest in to really appreciate the series. I certainly wouldn't call it a favorite, but it's really close to getting there.

I was introduced to the series through SCIV, which I later owned. My best friend later bought SCII & SCIII for the PS2, which we would spend hours going through the single player content, unlocking weapons sets, doing one-on-one battles, making custom characters, and making all sorts of hilarious jests and observations about the game that manifested as in-jokes.

As unorthodox as this would be for a fighting game, Soul Calibur was one of those games I played for the single player content and story more than more competitive aspects of the game. SCIV's story was there, but it didn't have the meaty expanse or more single player modes to tide me through. I was very turned off by SCV for giving us 1/3 of the entire damn story that's told through corny, depthless character voice-overs and static sketch images. Understandably, Bandai Namco stretched their budget to wide on multiplayer and online to salvage the other plans they have for the story. I say with confidence that this lofty imbalance alienated a lot of fans and the game would've been better off delayed just to have more single player content. May Nightmare burst down my door, clench my chest with his claw, and feed my soul to Soul Edge for all I care.

So if they ever do a SoulCalibur VI, what new characters would you guys like to see?
Eh, Fire Emblem seems well-known enough to warrant some guest content, especially with the continuing growth following Awakening's success. We've already had a character from a niche comic series and just about 2 JRPGs (Tales with Lloyd Irving in Legends, and technically KOS-MOS from Xenosaga through a custom armor set in SCIII.)

Bandai Namco/Intelligent Systems would probably stick with Marth for iconicity and a less obscure sell. Though I'm welcome to seeing Chrom & Robin. Especially Chrom, since he seems to continually get flogged for his daughter in the franchise to this day. Also, an Arena Ferox stage with Duty (Ablaze) playing is a minor fan wet dream of mine. But if this were to hypotehtically release after If... though, put in Kamui, maybe with Ryoma & Marx along with him/her. Hell, if there's a version split within Nintendo platforms, make them exclusive to one and the other.

Besides that, if they had to go with one series alone, Pit from Kid Icarus would be a great fit for the setting. His weapons from Uprising and his Smash Bros. standards already provide tons of fodder to base a moveset off of. I mean, a good portion of Link's SCII moves borrowed from Melee!

Anyways, which types of original characters would you like to see in SCVI? The 17th century setting makes the setting feel very unique and historical. But Soul Calibur has historically been pretty Europe and Far East Asia centric with a couple token characters from other cultures, fighting disciplines, and even the supernatural. I would love to see new weapons and cultures be thrown into the struggle of the Soul Swords!

Why not give us an Ottoman sultan wielding a kilij or scimitar, or some enigmatic Arabic rogue with a sickle blade with tons of stealthy techniques to boot? Why can't we have a monk originating from the Indian subcontinent? The Age of Exploration should be going on in this period and the "new world" has been mentioned in lore a couple times. I would insta-main an Aztec jaguar warrior wielding a savage macuahuitl and mandela! What about the other weapon types yet to be explored? Oriental styles provide kusarigamas, konabos, sais, chakrams, and more I'm probably missing. European weapons like war hammers, halberds, cesti, or even a war torch could be cool. Even a marksman character with a flintlock blunderbuss or musket is viable with the industrialization of firearms starting to take place (also has story credence with rifles being introduced to Japan according to Mitsurigi's backstory.)

finalark

SNORLAX
I say with confidence that this lofty imbalance alienated a lot of fans and the game would've been better off delayed just to have more single player content. May Nightmare burst down my door, clench my chest with his claw, and feed my soul to Soul Edge for all I care.
I feel the same way about SCIV, which was very stripped of content compared to the first three games. SCV needed a bigger budget and delay not only for the story, but for the core game play too. So many characters are either unfinished or obviously untested for balance that it's ridiculous (Natsu in particular is a pretty bad offender). I wish Namco hand't given Project Soul the shaft with budget cuts and forcing them to release the game in January so there wouldn't be a whole lot of competition ended up really hurting the game in the long run.

We've already had a character from a niche comic series and just about 2 JRPGs (Tales with Lloyd Irving in Legends, and technically KOS-MOS from Xenosaga through a custom armor set in SCIII.)[/quote]

I wouldn't really call Spawn all that niche. In the comic book world he's very well known and even outside of it I'd argue that Spawn is the one non-Marvel/DC character that non-comic fans know about. As for Lloyd and KOS-MOS, both characters are Namco properties, so it makes senses from a business standpoint since it provides promotion for lesser known titles. Even then that's not entirely true that ToS is the one Tales game that most people have played even if they're not a fan of the series. And back in the early 2000s Xenosaga was actually pretty heavily promoted, and even afterwards Namco continued to shove KOS-MOS down everyone's throats. Probably because robot girls were a decently popular subject among otaku back then, kind of making them the little sisters of their day.

Why not give us an Ottoman sultan wielding a kilij or scimitar
I would be immediately sold on this. I even got a simple back story figured out. Said sultan gets a vision of the fall of the Ottoman empire and sets out to find a weapon powerful enough to crush the enemies of the empire - soul edge.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I would be immediately sold on this. I even got a simple back story figured out. Said sultan gets a vision of the fall of the Ottoman empire and sets out to find a weapon powerful enough to crush the enemies of the empire - soul edge.
So...Hwang?

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I wouldn't really call Spawn all that niche. In the comic book world he's very well known and even outside of it I'd argue that Spawn is the one non-Marvel/DC character that non-comic fans know about.
I guess "indie" just didn't fit the bill for Darkhorse. Yet again, I don't know much about the comics industry, as much as it piques my curiosity.

The Ottomans were such a major empire in their time and we don't even get one representative from it? There's many ways to mix up character backstory off. Like, why not make him a loyal vizier to a powerful sultan to has ambition to rise his lord's ranks by taking control of Soul Edge, perhaps to stop the suppression of their state? It should be noted that Greece is also under Ottoman jurisdiction at this time. Maybe the Alexandrias encountered religious and cultural persecution and have some bad blood to settle with this man. Maybe even Aeon Calcos.

Still though, I want my ****ing Aztec! We need Soul Calibur Ogre!

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Oooooh, the Facebook poll! I think I might've voted Talim IIRC. I can double-check that. It's amazing how low the mimic characters are.

Looks like Project Soul really oughta listen to fan input this time around.

finalark

SNORLAX
What's also amazing is that you don't see any of the SCV characters until about half way down the list. Maybe replacing well liked characters with substitutes with half the personality wasn't such a good idea, eh Namco?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
What's also amazing is that you don't see any of the SCV characters until about half way down the list. Maybe replacing well liked characters with substitutes with half the personality wasn't such a good idea, eh Namco?
Guess they're not that keen on the new characters. Anyways, I do hope SCVI has a better story.

Saucen

Bruh
NNID
FangMaGuoLai
I played and loved SCV when it first came out but the online scene died within 2 months and it just wasn't fun anymore.

finalark

SNORLAX
I played and loved SCV when it first came out but the online scene died within 2 months and it just wasn't fun anymore.
I only ever played a few rounds online, most of my time with SCV was spent playing with friends. Unfortunately, after you've played a few hundred rounds the game's obvious lack of balancing and unfinished characters becomes obvious.

Miikon

Smash Cadet
Hoping for a new Soul Calibur similar to Soul Calibur III.
SCV was so unbalanced and the critical egde/finish mechanic ruined a lot of the core gameplay in my opinion.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
The only thing I want to keep from SCV is Viola, or at least her weapon style. She was the only character I ever really put time into learning because she was just so darn fun. (But I also miss Amy's pigtail drills ;_;)
Oh, and the character creation :) I made a lot of Pokemon characters such as Kris and Misty, Catherine, my cat (in the cat suit, using Dampierre's style XD) as well as a character based off myself just for fun.

And I'd love to have Soul Calibur III's Chronicles of the Sword mode back, with tons of improvements. That mode was so fun, at least until the endgame where you have to cheese the AI since I'm pretty sure they read your inputs at a point >_>

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I love Soulcalibur. I've played Soulcalibur 2 (the best one), Soulcalibur 4 (not great but it has Amy and Character Creator so whatever) and Soulcalibur 5 (I hated absolutely everything about it).

My main is Raphael in 2, Amy in 4, and nobody in 5 (I only played custom characters with various fighting styles).

It seems like we may be getting a sequel soon but to be honest, I think they should go the Mortal Kombat route and reboot the series. The next Soulcalibur game could focus on bringing back all the staple characters and refining the gameplay.
Regardless, what I really want from Soulcalibur is to bring Amy back and make the game play more like Soulcalibur 2 (4 and 5 felt way too stiff, especially 5).

Miikon

Smash Cadet
Soul Calibur needs a reboot in terms of story (since they had to abandon/replace half the cast for SCV) and let fan favorites return.
The story should just be unfolded through arcade mode (or whatever they decide to call it) and have a fun side mode like the one in 3.

Hope to see a sequel before the next console gen, though sadly it doesn't seem likely.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah, if they make the game come after Soulcalibur V, they have to keep all the new characters and all the old fighters who return would be old and shoehorned in, and nobody wants either of those scenarios.

They could easily either let SCV be the conclusion and reboot the series, or make it non-canon and start back from SC4.

I'd prefer a reboot because there's a lot of things in Soulcalibur's story I think they should fix/change anyways, namely Raphael becoming a ****ing vampire.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
I'd prefer a reboot because there's a lot of things in Soulcalibur's story I think they should fix/change anyways, namely Raphael becoming a ****ing vampire.
LOL! Vamp Raphael was pretty weird, but I love the crotch grab he does against male characters.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
The main reason I even know about the series is because Link is in Soulcalibur II. I picked up the game used off eBay a few years ago and was hooked for quite awhile.

I've played a bit of IV on the Xbox and V on the PS3 because a few of my friends have them. I haven't played them in a long time though, so I don't really remember a whole lot about them, outside of the guest characters.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
If there's any point where I feel its "necessary" to reboot the timeline to, at least start off from IV. Though I'll really take anything along the rest of the games if they go for it. Like, reimagining the events surrounding the Soul Swords right off from Soul Edge for a completely new series of events.

Also, am I the only one who liked III the best of them all? I barely see it mentioned like it was some sort of awkward phase.

Last edited:

Miikon

Smash Cadet
Also, am I the only one who liked III the best of them all? I barely see it mentioned like it was some sort of awkward phase.
III is my favorite, but I havent got a copy of it anymore, so I cant play it sadly :(.

The story reboot would have to start from III or earlier, cuz iirc some characters are directly described to be done with the Soul Edge and the like at the end of their stories. Taki's story ends with some text saying she was never seen again or something similar to this and Sophitia went mad and was killed.

finalark

SNORLAX
Probably because it was the most casual game in the franchise and had very little competitive play due to it having some atrocious balance issues at high levels of play.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I've been playing Soul Calibur ever since it was called Soul Blade on the original PlayStation. :chuckle: The very first game I purchased for my Dreamcast was Soul Calibur and it looked and played brilliantly. I took a long hiatus from the series until I got SCV for my Xbox 360 when the game was on sale for just $3.74 on XBL. A new entry in the franchise would be much appreciated as long as my main Voldo is included.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
This seems to me like that time CAPCOM showed that poster or something that said "Darkstalkers isn't Dead" or something along those lines, but all we got after that was Darkstalkers Resurrection.

What I'm getting at is that if we do get something, I hope it's more than just some HD collection.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
We might not get anything at all in fairness. There's a good chance they're just pulling the plug because it's not profitable to run anymore. The game is a single player micro-transaction fest, and from I understand was basically a stripped down SC game in terms of mechanics, it's probably run it's course as a revenue generator. Can't see any reason they'd shut it down if it were still making them money, they're a business after-all.

I mean, if we get a new SC game then awesome. Well, maybe awesome, SC5 hasn't inspired me with confidence where the SC games are concerned. But still, I don't think this is something we should read into too much.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah, I'm with @ Atrabilious Atrabilious on this one. It would be nice if Namco was canceling the game to focus on SCVI, but knowing how Namco throws the series under the rug I wouldn't be surprised if they were quietly calling it quits on the whole franchise.

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
Yeah I took part in that I voted Yun-Seong while my lil brother voted Patroklos, you should've seen the look on his face when he was bottom-tier :laugh:, in all seriousness I do wish him to come back

Guest characters wise, Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat, Link, or Trunks from DBZ

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
GUEST CHARACTER TALK YES
Palutena vs. Elysium fight let's go

Top Bottom