• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sort of a personal question I guess...

Chin-Chillin'

Smash Rookie
I love games. Smash of course being one of my favorites. I'm in a bit of a mental pickle. I am a faithful husband and a great father. I have a job and consider my life and family to be successful through the grace of God. I recently got back into playing smash (after watching The Smash Brothers doc, which was amazing btw) and now I'm trying to do the whole "playing locals and trying to attend smashfest" thing with some hope of just enjoying the game I grew up playing and maybe getting some type of better at it. Now, don't get me wrong, my family and friends are awesome but I don't really have much of a support system when it comes to them and me playing smash. One specific person that I am extremely close with, I think, thinks that I am a complete dork because I do this and want to go to some random persons house just to play a video game.

In my mind, it kind of makes me feel like "Damn, I got a family now I should grow up and worry about that." But then I think and remember that I am taking care of my family. I make sure my daughter has clothes and food and I spend time with her (active daddy time too not just watching her) I make sure me and my spouse are connecting emotionally and make sure her needs are met before mine. I make sure bills are paid and prioritize my outings, my money to what is needed not wanted. This to me is taking care of my family.

I just turned 21 in Sept. I feel like I'm a dork and an idiot beside of this one person's thought about what I am doing. But should I feel like I'm too old to be doing these things just because I have a family? I just want some support and I really want to just play games but that's not my only goal in life.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Grown man go to each other's houses to play poker and watch football. Socially acceptable activities "for adults" is incredibly arbitrary. If you want to play smash with friends then do so. You're your own man so **** whatever anyone else thinks of you.

Besides 21 year olds still play video games all the time. You're not abnormal for wanting to do so yourself, even if you have a family.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
21 isn't and shouldn't even be considered "old" tbh; and I don't believe in a "too old to play video games" age anyways. As long as you're doing what you gotta do, then why can't you have fun doing something you like to do on the side? Besides, it's, if anything, a good and cool thing that you still play games whilst having a daughter, you should definitely try playing them with her sometime when she's old enough. My dad used to play games with me all the time while growing up and from what I remember, I really enjoyed and appreciated it. Don't let that person get to you, just continue doing what you like doing.

I mean, you could be like one of those people who become addicted and even sacrifice their own health to play games. At least you have your stuff together.

Mrs. Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
Baha and I still hang out with people to play Smash (although we aren't very good anymore). Hell, I even made an additional trip to San Fran whenever I was visiting Cali for work just to get some game time in! It's a hobby that many of us have and you shouldn't give up your hobbies...even when you're a husband and father. I wish that there were more Smashers in our area so that Baha could get out more. Guys and gals need time away from the work life and parent life every once in a while.

D

Deleted member

Ok, wow. You seems like you have a lot on your plate for a 21 year old. When I was 21 I didn't even have a job. Give yourself a little credit, You're holding down a wife and kids at a very young age. It's very noble of you to put your family first (as you should) but at some point you got to invest in a little me-time or you're going to go crazy.
So I dunno who this friend is that's calling you a dork but that seems a little insensitive considering this is one of your favorite hobbies. Like I said, It's great that your family's needs are met first but you also need to make sure your own needs are met at the end of the day (or end of the week if you're extra busy.)

:reverse:

Top Bottom