• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sorry for crashing Smashboards. I'm Zipzo. I played the release build demo of Smash 4. AMA!

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date

alexjol

Smash Apprentice
NNID
alexjol
3DS FC
2836-0788-1479
What is the last Captain Falcon alt costume apart from Original, Blue, Green, Red, Black, White and Gold? Sorry if this has been asked/already said before, if so, can anyone tell me?

Sxips

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dark_Dino
Switch FC
SW-8329-8819-7281
1. How does DK feel overall. 2. Did DK have any new colors.

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
Well, I heard Mach Tornado is easier to escape due to dealing fewer hits, and also doesn't last as long? Something about it having higher launch power as well. Oh, and Shuttle Loop is nerfed to basically being a Dolphin Slash clone.

Nothing on the Final Smash since they apparently never got it, but Flare Blitz deals damage to the user both on startup and when it hits. One of those two amounts was 10%, but I don't remember which.
Flare Blitz deals recoil twice? And I thought it did a ton of damage to Charizard in Pokemon lol...

In any case, this is actually something I meant to ask about. Does Flare Blitz seem like a decent move, or is the recoil too much? Is it a viable recovery option, and does Charizard enter the helpless state after using it?

fanboss2

Smash Apprentice
I want to reiterate again that Meta Knight was severely weaker. His attacks were slower and his recovery got slaughtered. His tornado is easy to DI and hits less times.
Can you still go up with the tornado ? (by mashing b)

EDIT : I read that from 2chan, but I would like to make sure it's not fake.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If only that was Reggie…

Anyway, some questions:

1- Did anybody unlock Wario during the demo? I wouldn't be surprised :awesome:
2. I noticed you really liked Sonic, and said his Bair had more landing lag. As a fellow Sonic main, did it get a power buff or launch power buff? And is it useful for edgeguarding?
3. Is Mario all around buffed?
4. Can Pit's arrows be chained from a distance to edgeguard far away recovering opponents? Theoretically, since I doubt you tried it out. As in are the speed of his arrows enough to somewhat chain?
5. Does Sonic's Fair have a lot less landing lag?
6. What are Pikachu's other new costumes besides the Yellow and Black one/the headband?
7. Can Thunder still KO higher up opponents? (Optional)

pikachufan2222

Smash Rookie
Hey thanks for all of this you're really awesome for doing so! Is Kirby as good as he was in the E3 build?

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for doing this by the way. Really restoring the hype for this game!

Now I have two questions..

1. Did you recall seeing any unrevealed costumes as opposed to just palettes?

2. Did you see any of Pac-Man's final smash and if so, how did it work?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Wait, did you play the Japanese demo or the PAX event thingy or what?
Sorry I'm confused.
Probably not the PAX demo considering you said that you we're waiting in line, but I'm still a bit confused.
It was the full release Japanese demo minus unlockable content of course.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I read somewhere Charizard might have had Seismic Toss as his up throw, but I haven't seen anyone actually confirm this. I also wonder how strong Rock Smash and Flare Blitz are in this game, and if they come out at a decent speed.

Also, if you had the chance to use King Dedede at all, are the Gordos easy to bounce back? Do they hit hard, or have they been nerfed some from Brawl? Thank you for taking the time to answer everyone's questions, by the way. :)

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Flare Blitz deals recoil twice? And I thought it did a ton of damage to Charizard in Pokemon lol...

In any case, this is actually something I meant to ask about. Does Flare Blitz seem like a decent move, or is the recoil too much? Is it a viable recovery option, and does Charizard enter the helpless state after using it?
I remember reading that somewhere in this thread. As for utility, apparently it has fast startup and very high kill power.

mojack

Smash Rookie
[quote="Pikablu Pikachu, post: 17489043, member: 260206"
7. Can Thunder still KO higher up opponents? (Optional)[/quote]
The cloud is now a meteor smash so technically yes is used correctly? I didn't see anyone get hit high up on the bold beneath the cloud, though.

D

Deleted member 245254

If only that was Reggie…

Anyway, some questions:

1- Did anybody unlock Wario during the demo? I wouldn't be surprised :awesome:
2. I noticed you really liked Sonic, and said his Bair had more landing lag. As a fellow Sonic main, did it get a power buff or launch power buff? And is it useful for edgeguarding?
3. Is Mario all around buffed?
4. Can Pit's arrows be chained from a distance to edgeguard far away recovering opponents? Theoretically, since I doubt you tried it out. As in are the speed of his arrows enough to somewhat chain?
5. Does Sonic's Fair have a lot less landing lag?
6. What are Pikachu's other new costumes besides the Yellow and Black one/the headband?
7. Can Thunder still KO higher up opponents? (Optional)
1. Not there.

2. Not sure about the stats of the move specifically, and to be honest I was so enveloped with using his new spins and combing with tilts I didn't put much work in to perfecting the new bair.

3. Didn't play Mario but he has a cool skin with lots of stars and red and white stripes.

4. Didn't try it, sorry.

5. I won't say that it has less but it felt like it has a generous auto-cancel window (or maybe it was teching that was happening, I'm actually unsure).

6. He has a black and yellow backwards hat (golds hat), and a red facing forward hat with sunglasses on the front.

7. Not by stage roof no, thunder now has a peak height in the form of a cloud thing. If you get hit by thunder near the cloud, it is a meteor smash. So possibly downward KOs sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
There were indications from Famitsu that Force Palm was now Lucario's neutral B, while Aura Sphere, seemingly now his side B, would not charge and instead have its size determined by Lucario's Aura. Did you see anything to confirm or deny any of this?

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Thank you for taking on our questions! Mine is a little unusual, you might not have any immediate way to know: Does Robin lose 'charges/uses' of the magic sword on a miss, or only if he actually hits something with it?

Why this matters: Some Fire Emblem games only use up weapon 'durability/uses' on a Hit, so there's room to wonder.

passthefood

Smash Rookie
Could you give any opinions on Ike? How did he feel overall? And do you remember any of his colors?

BanjoK&MarioBros

Smash Cadet
These are not all the colour/alts tho... as you can see almost no one has 8 swaps revealed. So I'm holding out for many more incoming..

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Thank you for taking on our questions! Mine is a little unusual, you might not have any immediate way to know: Does Robin lose 'charges/uses' of the magic sword on a miss, or only if he actually hits something with it?

Why this matters: Some Fire Emblem games only use up weapon 'durability/uses' on a Hit, so there's room to wonder.
This. I am really interested in this.

Ducksen

Smash Apprentice
@Zipzo
Alright, this is like my fifty billionth time asking, but were there no special costumes for mega man? (Like olimar's?)
I just want protoman, man.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Sorry for repeating a question, but you mentioned that the Wars Infantry & Tanks, an unlockable AT from Brawl previously unannounced for SSB4, appeared in the demo. Did Isaac (giant glowing green hands AT guy from Brawl) appear as an AT in the SSB4 demo? He was an unlockable AT in Brawl just like Infantry & Tanks.

Last edited:

mojack

Smash Rookie
I read somewhere Charizard might have had Seismic Toss as his up throw, but I haven't seen anyone actually confirm this. I also wonder how strong Rock Smash and Flare Blitz are in this game, and if they come out at a decent speed.

Also, if you had the chance to use King Dedede at all, are the Gordos easy to bounce back? Do they hit hard, or have they been nerfed some from Brawl? Thank you for taking the time to answer everyone's questions, by the way. :)
Seismic Toss is indeed his up throw. My firend was not pleased when I tested it out on him and ended up killing him with it :3

Flare Blitz is a very useful move. It covers a lot of ground, travels fast, and has a short start up speed for what it is (by that I mean there's still a noticeable start up speed). The drawback is definitely the recoil as reckless useage of the move can quickly rack up self inflicted damage. Has good KO power. As for Rock Smash I couldn't really manage to hit anyone with it except a few times when they were low % so can't really say much about it. It is still the same as in Brawl, though, in the sense that you can hit with the boulder itself if someone is right in front of you then again with the smash.

CrazyCupofJoe

Smash Cadet
Hey man, you are doing God's work with all this information. I've just got some quick questions.

1. Is Bowser Jr. playable? I noticed that there was no information about him and hes not a confirmed character so I assume not but it couldn't hurt to ask.

2. On the topic of Pac-Man's slowness, you said he wasn't unplayable but was he still good? I know we can't talk about tournament viable or anything but based on the other characters was he better than most? Worse? Or right in the middle?

3. Is there anyone that stands out as OP as of right now? And how big of a gap do you see between the potential of some characters? Like do you think there will be one character that is much better than the rest (Brawl) or are they all balanced not a huge gap in terms of top play like (P:M)?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
First of all, thanks a lot for doing this!

I have a couple questions too (about Toon Link, so if you haven't played him you can ignore it)

-Is Bair Chain still possible?
-Are his aerials changed, if yes, how?
-Are his projectiles changed, if yes, how?
-Have the psychics affected him, and if yes, how?
-The obligatory Alt/Palette Swap question (Does he have an engineer alt? Does he too have 8 costumes?)

And a few questions about Greninja:
How does his Water Shuriken work?
-Can you charge in the air?
-Can you hold its charge by shelding?
-Is it effective at all?

-Obligatory alt/pallete swap question

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Hey man, you are doing God's work with all this information. I've just got some quick questions.

1. Is Bowser Jr. playable? I noticed that there was no information about him and hes not a confirmed character so I assume not but it couldn't hurt to ask.
The characters people have access to are everybody announced except Lucina. All other hidden characters are not there.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

2. On the topic of Pac-Man's slowness, you said he wasn't unplayable but was he still good? I know we can't talk about tournament viable or anything but based on the other characters was he better than most? Worse? Or right in the middle?

3. Is there anyone that stands out as OP as of right now? And how big of a gap do you see between the potential of some characters? Like do you think there will be one character that is much better than the rest (Brawl) or are they all balanced not a huge gap in terms of top play like (P:M)?
Only announced characters minus Lucina were there

D

Deleted member

2. Not sure about the stats of the move specifically, and to be honest I was so enveloped with using his new spins and combing with tilts I didn't put much work in to perfecting the new bair.

5. I won't say that it has less but it felt like it has a generous auto-cancel window (or maybe it was teching that was happening, I'm actually unsure).

6. He has a black and yellow backwards hat (golds hat), and a red facing forward hat with sunglasses on the front.

7. Not by stage roof no, thunder now has a peak height in the form of a cloud thing. If you get hit by thunder near the cloud, it is a meteor smash. So possibly downward KOs sure.
Thats nice that Sonic's spins are better. I use those more than I should in Brawl, and it appears that the fair is buffed if it has a better auto cancel.

As for Pikachu, was it Serena's hat?
And I knew about the meteor smash, I was just wondering if the lightning underneath the cloud could still send enemies up, but alas.

D

Deleted member 245254

Could you give any opinions on Ike? How did he feel overall? And do you remember any of his colors?
Didn't check his colors but he has no alternative costumes, all just recolors of his basic costume as far as I can remember.

Ike honestly felt the same as he does in Brawl with faster run speed.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Is Party Hat Pikachu one of his costumes as previously reported, or was that a lie like the PJ's Toon Link?

Niala

Smash Ace

What's even more interesting is these are further distinguishable, which could be pertinent here. In the GBA titles, at least, (I'm unsure about others,) magic is used even if it misses, whereas weapons are only used when they hit. It makes a lot of sense-- your sword does not become less durable or sharp if it doesn't strike anything, but the magic still required the incantation regardless of hitting. It could be fun if Robin takes from that concept, too.

Raijinken

Smash Master
  1. Did Arcfire (Robin's SideB work fast enough to follow up, or was it more for edgeguarding?
  2. Did Elwind (Robin's UpB) send him into recovery freefall, or could he act out of it?
  3. Purely as speculation, do you think Cstick input would use the smash aerials or the standard aerials?
  4. Did Thunder charge and store like Samus's beam (press to charge, again to fire), or like Diddy's gun (hold to charge, release to fire)?
  5. Does the Bronze Sword (Robin's 'normal' sword as opposed to the Levin Sword) feel particularly weaker than most characters' corresponding attacks, or did it feel fairly average?

mojack

Smash Rookie

1. Bowser Jr. was not playable in the demo.

2. I actually didn't think Pac-Man was slow when I played as him. For what it's worth I did win my game when I played as him, granted every single other person was also new to the game. He seems just as good as any of the other characters. His side and up specials have surprising KO power when they don't really look the part.

3. No one glaringly stood out to me as OP so that's a good first sign. I got a triple kill with the new Bowser and I kicked ass with Zero Suit Samus but it didn't come from it being easy by a long shot. But at the same time we were only getting short bursts of play time, after all, and everyone was new to the game. As of this moment, though, the game seems extremely well balanced.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Didn't check his colors but he has no alternative costumes, all just recolors of his basic costume as far as I can remember.

Ike honestly felt the same as he does in Brawl with faster run speed.
What about Ike's voice acting?

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord

Actually found the thing about Flare Blitz dealing recoil twice.
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2fmn1z/just_got_back_from_smash_4_demo_ill_answer_what/ said:
Forward B is awesome though I doubt we'll see it in 1v1 too often, it has insane knockback. Deals self damage on startup and then 10% on contact.
Edit: I could be misreading it though. Might be that it deals 10% damage to the foe when it hits, since the wording is a little unclear.

Last edited:

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Thank you.

Does lucario have a hotbox on his up B?

Also was it hard for you to control his up-b at high percents.

D

Deleted member 245254

Clarifying a few things.

When I said circle pad, I did not mean the circle pad pro (in the OP). There was no circle pad pro available for us to use. I don't even know if it's compatible but I've read it's not.

Also, Shulks Monado stance changing is done by pressing B to flip through the different stances, then confirming which one you want to swap to. There's an animation for it, but it's short. He just goes "hiyah" and pumps his sword and he changes color.

Japsy

Banned via Warnings
What are the new Mario color swaps if you could have seen.
All characters have 8, so using other Smash games as a reference...
1. Default Mario
2. Blue Mario
3. Wario Mario
4. Fire Mario
5. The weird dark-grey/black-ish Mario that's been in every Smash
6. Green/Brown Mario
7. NEW: Blue/Pink Mario (known since e3)
8. NEW: NES Golf "American" Mario
So there you go, probably wont be getting any more

Top Bottom