• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sorry for crashing Smashboards. I'm Zipzo. I played the release build demo of Smash 4. AMA!

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well, I knew yesterday about the stage.

Tough, I just have a question: Can you tell how many sections was in the stage, describe them generally and just to know, record a session of it?

Outside support, I'm really looking forward to this stage, but also, knwing the sections would help both.

Thanks! btw, little thanks to the staff because I was able to have a good sleep after all :)

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
I need to know... how does DK play with his new dash attack and what not I need to know so I can reck with the dong powers.

Kensho

Smash Apprentice
GUYS, the cutscene with all the miis is from a Promotional video with some Jpop girls or something like that, nothing else.

D

Deleted member 245254

@Zipzo

1. Were there any new Assist Trophies shown?
2. What does Smash Run feel like?

Also, can someone tell me about this Alph being as an alt for Olimar?
Could not play Smash Run at the event (strangely). At least at the setup I played.

Alph is 4 out of 8 of Captain Olimers costumes. Like, an actual Alph model.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@Zipzo Does Charizard win poses feature the Pokémon Trainer? (Like how Chrom appears in Robin's or Doc Louie in Little Mac's.)

D

Deleted member 245254

Sorry to bother you, but could you possibly elaborate on Fierce Deity Link's tunic? Is it different from his original design?
It's not white so I guess the answer is yes.

But now I'm like doubting myself because I'm tired and my long term memory has not yet set in.

Immediately for now my answer is yes, it's different.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xiao-Xiao

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry to be the guy that asks the dumb question, but I honestly for the life of me can't find the answer anywhere - what currently unannounced (officially) characters were in the build you played?
there were no spoiler characters playable. Only those announced on the website so far

mojack

Smash Rookie
Could not play Smash Run at the event (strangely).

Alph is 4 out of 8 of Captain Olimers costumes. Like, an actual Alph model.
I actually saw a guy playing Smash Run at the single player booth. I saw how he got to it too and I considered trying it but with so little time I just wanted to play and experiment with all the characters more.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
@Zipzo Do you think Smash 4 has what it takes from what you have seen and played so far to be a good competitive game?

D

Deleted member 245254

I actually saw a guy playing Smash Run at the single player booth. I saw how he got to it too and I considered trying it but with so little time I just wanted to play and experiment with all the characters more.
At the single player booths they kept saying when we got on it that we could only do 2 minute matches so the guy must have ninja'd in to Smash run.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Does anybody know if Captain Falcon still has his blood falcon alt/red outfit with a purple helmet?

Marty McNinja

Smash Rookie
NNID
Marty_McNinja
did you get to play much villager? I haven't seen anyone talking about him much. how would you say he feels? I know he's got kinda weird forward and down smash attacks.

SuperWiiUBros

Smash Rookie
It's not white so I guess the answer is yes.

But now I'm like doubting myself because I'm tired and my long term memory has no set in.

Immediately for now my answer is yes, it's different.
Thank you very much. On the same topic, did you happen to notice if his sword was any different or if his hat was bluish-white?

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
How much has Meta Knight changed from Brawl? Also i apologize for asking this for the third time but does Kirby fully copy Shulk's neutral special? ( I've been waiting for an answer forever )
Well, I heard Mach Tornado is easier to escape due to dealing fewer hits, and also doesn't last as long? Something about it having higher launch power as well. Oh, and Shuttle Loop is nerfed to basically being a Dolphin Slash clone.

How does Charizard's flare blitz and final smash work?
Nothing on the Final Smash since they apparently never got it, but Flare Blitz deals damage to the user both on startup and when it hits. One of those two amounts was 10%, but I don't remember which.

Kensho

Smash Apprentice
Could you extend about the newcomers you could try? (And haven't already talked about in the thread, like Villager or Wii Fit Trainer?)

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
How's my Villager?

Any good autcancels or fast moves that can make him competitively viable?

Niala

Smash Ace
I'll join the collective and echo my thanks for your hard work.

My question is regarding Wii Fit Trainer. You haven't mentioned anything about her, so I'll assume you hadn't played her, but do you recall seeing her played and whether or not her jab combo can still "ground" opponents? (Like DK's SideSpecial?)

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Wait, did you play the Japanese demo or the PAX event thingy or what?
Sorry I'm confused.
Probably not the PAX demo considering you said that you we're waiting in line, but I'm still a bit confused.

Last edited:

Hoezay

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hoezay
3DS FC
4055-2969-6824
Hi, just joined to ask one question. Regarding that pink stage people have been talking about, did you manage to play it? People have been saying its an Earthbound stage (based on Magicant or Dalaam) and I'm impatiently waiting on Ness (or Lucas [I need Lucas]) confirmation so that stage may be my confirmation.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I see. So does the announcer announce Alph's name when switched?

Thanks for the response by the way.
I don't think we ever got a straight answer on this, because he never played Olimar and didn't think to do any sort of test. My guess would be yes, though. Apparently the character select name switches at least.

How's my Villager?

Any good autcancels or fast moves that can make him competitively viable?
Well, from the E3/SDCC demo he could basically use the Lloid Rocket as a pretty well guaranteed safe approach by riding it into the enemy and jumping off immediately before it hit. Dunno if that's still true, though.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Summarising/categorising of @Zipzo 's posts in his first thread (I may a few things)
WHAT WAS IT?

Zipzo said:
It's REALLY crowded. Line is huge, depending on how long we get to play it's going to be a long walk to the back of the line. It depends how they filter people through.
There 2 stations with 4 3DS's each for 4-player matches, then 4 stations with 1 3DS LL each (probably for solo play?). They have big TV's and streaming equipment to show what's happening on each 3DS.
It has not begun yet, but soon.

- they are really right on pictures and video. I almost got kicked out for trying.
Two matches got to be played and then queue times were about 20 minutes.
I believe this was the playable roster:
General Mechanics/Things
  • Pivot cancel is still in
  • whoever is worried about combos, there are combos.
  • YOU CAN CANCEL RUN WITH SHIELD.
  • The game still has a sense of floatiness to it that is present in brawl. It's definitely not like Melee where you drop like bricks.
  • shield rolling is extremely fast and there's a neat little sparkle star effect when you do it and acting out of shield is as well. I think of it like a mini-wave dash. No wave dashing or l-cancelling. Just rolling baby.
  • there is no Melee dash dancing. It's incredibly hard to do with the circle pad but it's essentially the same thing as brawls. IE not super useful or practical
  • Pictochat stage is in:pictochat:
  • Tomodachi life stage is in (the one seen in earlier leaks)

Ledges
  • Ledge snap SEVERELY nerfed. I feels like Melee ledge grab.
  • Back Ledge Grabbing is back
  • I could not re-grab the ledge directly after letting go and jumping back in to obvious grab range.

ledge stalling may be impossible now? If you drop from the ledge and jump back up, you literally will just NOT grab it. It's like the ledge gains invulnerability to your grab for a certain time after you let go. DO NOT TAKE THIS OUT OF CONTEXT. I am not 100% sure I need to try it again on my 2nd go around but in my last match I basically lived on the ledge trying this out.

I retested ledge mechanics.
I WAS RIGHT. I used megaman this time and reaffirmed my experiences with Ike.
There is a short and small window of time after dropping from the ledge that the ledge becomes "immune" to your grab.
This has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TRUMP MECHANIC. It was completely individually on the character. It is not very apparent on characters with flips for 2ndary jumps, as the ledge grab action waits for the flip to finish and the window for "ledge immunity" seems to end before the flip animation does. Megaman and Ike do not have flips, and it was impossible for me to the ledge after jumping/falling off it for a period of time.
I am essentially 100% of sure this.
:4bowser:Bowser
  • Bowser does NOT have Dry Bowser as a costume.

:4falcon:Captain Falcon
  • His up b goes straight up
  • Captain falcon still has his knee of justice but they made HUGE landing lag [apparenetly 34+]

:4charizard:Charizard
  • Charizard can be purple, yellow, red, grey, dark red

:4dedede:King Dedede
  • No Masked DDD alt

:4diddy:Diddy Kong
  • Diddy kong only gets 1 banana.
  • If you pull another, it disappears

:4fox:Fox
Fox has an alternate skin That looks exactly like wolf
He's gray fur, Purple eye device and grayish clothing
It's the only skin that changes foxes fur. This is only a color, NOT a costume
:4kirby:Kirby
  • Kirby has a "naked Metaknight" alternate

:4myfriends:Ike
  • Ike feels unchanged. I was never an Ike main so I don't know the specifics but his attacks were all the same general thing, nothing new I noticed.
:4littlemac:Little Mac
  • Little Mac has 16 costumes!
  • He has 8 costumes for his fleshy self, and 8 costumes for his wireframe
:4link:Link
  • Link has a costume with like red markings under his eyes. It looks nothing like link... But his eyes are whitened and has red markings and he's dark colored clothing. There's also a white and blue link.
  • Fierce diety link IS in as a costume

:4lucario:Lucario
  • Lucario is unchanged except his smash attacks feel MUCH faster.
  • There is no yellow lucario. There is green, purple, dark gray, and the rest are shades of blue.

:4marth:Marth
  • Marth has an Orange Skin
  • Marth feels very nerfed. His range seems even worse than in Brawl (I was whiffing fsmashes like crazy and I'm pretty good with tippers).
  • Aside fr his range and no ability to double fair he seems mostly the same, aside from running faster.
  • It's his range that REALLY feels kinda killer to His melee/brawl play style.
  • Tippering with Marth seems to require your opponent to be a lot closer than ever before, it seems he won't be as much of a spacing monster as he's always been.
  • This can't be overstated enough, his range feels significantly shorter (by significantly I mean that it's noticeable. It's all relative of course), and seems to be his most notable nerf. Spacing his tippers seems to bBe considerably more skill-based due to the range needed.

:4megaman:Megaman

:4metaknight:Meta Knight
  • Meta knights up b is like Marth's up b. It hits people like once and sorta knocks them away and has an upward direction to it.
  • His tornado still has a lot of hits but you can DI it pretty easy because the hits are actually less frequent, I don't know yet about its priority.

:4palutena:Palutena
  • palutena's smash reach is incredible. Her up smash is the giant pillar laser beam thing. Her side smash moves a bit forward and her wings slap in front of her.
  • When palutena rolls she turns invisible, like she's teleporting
Shaya said:
[summarising a skype thing]
Palutena "She honestly is kind of like a baton twirler"
Aerials:
Back - Shield smack
Forward - kick similar to Zeldas
Up - similar to pit's in brawl in how it hits but not animation
Dash attack is a shield slam thing
Ftilt wheel spinning thing
up tilt spins the staff above her head
her down tilt spins the staff under your opponent
down smash slames her wings down on both sides
fsmash slaps her wings on your opponent in front of you
:4pacman:Pac Man
  • Pacmans costumes change his gloves and shoes
  • Pac Man is SLOW. Every single one of his aerials are kicks. His forward aerial is a double kick, his back air is like Mario. The thing that stood our about him is his utter sluggish-ness. His fall speed is like brawl. His run speed is slow. His forward b sends a pellet out in front of him, and then he turns in to classic pacman and boosts towards it. It's kind of like greninja'd shadow sneak thing except you can't time it.
  • He feels slow, but his attacks felt like they had a good hitbox, because he's really fat and his legs stretch when he kicks. He just felt really interesting to play, but I ended up using his aerials the most because of their hit boxes.
Let me clarify some things on Pac-Man.
He DID feel slow but he wasn't ineffective. I generally play faster characters in general. Me and my friend have talked extensively about him having both played him and he feels A LOT like mr game and watch.
It's kind of a..."dorky" slowness, does that make sense? It's really so hard to explain without you actually playing him.
He's got this quirkiness in his movements, but his hitboxes are really good which appear to be the compensation for his pretty slow movement speed.
:4peach:Peach
  • Peach has a fire red and full black dress.
  • Peach is unchanged except for her up aerial. It's now a rainbow thing, it has an arched hitbox over the top of her head, she draws it with her hand.
  • Peach's turnip pull speed is nerfed. She can still move in to float to do things like crown and nair. Her fsmash goes tennis club, golf club, and frying pan. I believe it's a set order now.
  • Peach's butt bomb [side-b] is hugely buffed. It has barely any startup time anymore.
  • Peaches second jump appeared to be the way it is in Brawl. It did not give her significant height.

:4pit:Pit
  • Pits side b fist has a bad lag if you whiff, big KO power if you hit at higher %s

:4robinm:Robin:4robinf:
  • Chrom appears in robins victory pose.
  • Robin is FANTASTIC. Magic is not slow, when he has his spell book his attack speed is really good. If you use a smash attack in the air IT USES HIS MAGIC SMASHES. If you use a normal aerial it uses his other weapon.
  • Let me reaffirm this. Robin feels AMAZING.
  • He has two swords, the magic and the non-magic one. (Forgive me, not an awakening veteran).
  • All of tilts are using the physical sword. They have good combo ability. All of his smashes use the magic sword, which has an electric effect.
  • When in the air, if you use the inputs for a smash attack (and you still have the magic sword available), you will do an aerial that uses the magic sword. If you just typically hit an aerial he will use the normal sword.
  • You use up your magic sword quite quickly but it regenerates rather fast so it's not like it ruins your tempo. Very fast.
  • The fire move we've seen is actually a fireball that comes from above robins head and rains down in the vicinity in front of robin. His neutral b shoots and electric lightnig bolt straight across the stage.
  • The healing move is his down b and you would be surprised to know it heals for a LOT (I healed for about 20%) and it stuns your opponent while you heal. It has a start up though so it's not as easy to land as any regular grab. I can see Robin being a PAIN IN THE ASS to people who can't avoid getting caught in it. Unsure if you can force break it from slapping buttons, I only played AS him.
  • His up b jumps up a bit and shoots wind slicers down. Important to note it's actually not straight up, he jumps jump and slides slightly to the side in the direction you're facing THEN shoots them down, so it can be a ground option too.

:4shulk:Shulk
  • Shulk has amazing spacing options because his Monado reaches so damn far
  • Shulks standing a is a 3 hit combo
  • Shulks up b is a TWO PART combo. You can choose to do the second part by inputting b again, basically he swipes up like dolphin slash [and] f you hit b again he will do a swipe in front of him and send the opponent flying
  • His up smash is sort of like palutena, except a much smaller pillar of light coming from his monado
  • I think his running dash attack is just a sword swipe: Don't quote me on that I didn't take it to memory (As I quote him anyway lol)
  • Shulk lunges forward and swipes down with his forward b in to the ground
  • When you press neutral b it changes the insignia, can't change while rolling, unsure attacking
  • His bair he shoves his sword behind him without even turning around like under his arm
  • Shulk has the underpants alt we all know about, rest are recolors

:4sonic:Sonic
  • No Metal Sonic. Shades of Blue/One White skin
  • Sonic still dies pitifully if you end up in a spin without a jump
  • Sonic does not have the disjointed hitbox on his utilt anymore.
  • sonics forward b snaps to the ground, it is really fast now.
  • his uair is like a scissor kick, has a way better hitbox than the twist kick thing.

:4tlink:Toon Link
  • Toon Link has the four swords colors + old style link color, the black with red eyes.
  • There is no island toon link costume.

:4villager:Villager
  • villagers up b is the most overpowered recovery I've ever seen.

:4zelda:Zelda
  • Zelda has no alternate costumes, only colors (including a white costume
  • Zelda's new phantom move. It doesn't hit a character right up in her grill. The phantom spawns maybe a character away, so if your opponent is right up on you, the phantom will just spawn in front of them and whiff.

:4zss:Zero Suit Samus
  • I made a mistake for the light blue costume of ZSS it's actually gray

Last edited:

iRJi

Smash Champion
My main questions are about the ledge mechanics. I also have 1 question about ground game.

1) In brawl, you are able to run off the stage and immediately grab the ledge, but when the E3 release demo came out, you weren't able to do so because when you ran to the ledge, it preformed a jump. Can you run to the ledge and immediately grab it, or does it still jump when you run to the ledge?

2) Does attempting to grab the ledge from your opponent still push your opponent off from the ledge?

3) You mentioned before that pivot tilting is still in the game, which is awesome. I know in the E3 demo, reverse aerial rushing was doable as well. Can you still reverse aerial rush?
@Zipzo , reposting so you can see it

MarioStarr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mariostarr
So there is only one thing I need to know... Does anyone else than Riki and Dunban appear in Shulk's final smash and do they talk like they do in the original Xenoblade?

D

Deleted member 245254

Sorry I'm confused.
I played the release version at a JP event.

How does Charizard's flare blitz and final smash work?
Flare blitz reminded me of Meta Knights foward b drill move.

I want to reiterate again that Meta Knight was severely weaker. His attacks were slower and his recovery got slaughtered. His tornado is easy to DI and hits less times.

mojack

Smash Rookie
Could you extend about the newcomers you could try? (And haven't already talked about in the thread, like Villager or Wii Fit Trainer?)
I'll join the collective and echo my thanks for your hard work.

My question is regarding Wii Fit Trainer. You haven't mentioned anything about her, so I'll assume you hadn't played her, but do you recall seeing her played and whether or not her jab combo can still "ground" opponents? (Like DK's SideSpecial?)
I never tried the Villager (which I kinda regret but at least the game comes out next week over here) but as for WFT. I did play him once, however, I had a pretty bad match and I couldn't gather too much information. Some of my observations are though that his attacks are very quick and lag time afterwards is pretty short. Neutral B has ok KO potential by itself but combined with his Down B buff it's pretty powerful. Down B seemed a little finnicky to me, though, and I couldn't get the hang of it in 2 minutes. Sometimes it would charge faster and sometimes it didn't. Furthermore, some times I had to hold the button and sometimes I didn't. Couldn't really understand it. His recovery move is, while pretty comical, not the greatest. Probably achieves a little more verticality than Little Mac's and can move to the side a bit. Did not see if her jab combo grounds people, sorry.

Sorry I'm confused.
Probably not the PAX demo considering you said that you we're waiting in line, but I'm still a bit confused.
This was the retail build that was be demoed at a Toys R Us in the Chiba prefecture in Japan.

Last edited:
Top Bottom