• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic General Discussion/Social thread

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
SONICS buffs:

they took my suggestions.

Nair is stronger and a kill move again.
Down b looks like it can combo into stuff better now, Side B looks like the main cancelable move.

His down B and side B look like they have good potential again.

2fast

Smash Journeyman
Letting all fellow Sonic mains know, I got to mess around with 3.0 a little yesterday at jcaesars place and they actually buffed quite a few things on Sonic.

-As Wizzrobe said, Nair is definitely stronger and a much better kill move.
-As Wizzrobe also said, down b combos into things better once again.
-Fair was actually buffed and the meteor is stronger now as well as its sour spot kill zone.
-Side B can can canceled into a jump at any point during the animation and it has flashing invincibility right before he uncurls out of the ball at the end.
-And last, homing attack was the only nerf I noticed with it's homing range getting lowered but that doesn't surprise me.

You can check jcaesars stream for actual footage of Sonic if you'd like. All in all, Sonic is once again a lot more fun to play and feels perfect to me, kudos to the project m team for making him a little more viable again lol.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Letting all fellow Sonic mains know, I got to mess around with 3.0 a little yesterday at jcaesars place and they actually buffed quite a few things on Sonic.

-Fair was actually buffed and the meteor is stronger now as well as its sour spot kill zone.
-Side B can can canceled into a jump at any point during the animation and it has flashing invincibility right before he uncurls out of the ball at the end.
-And last, homing attack was the only nerf I noticed with it's homing range getting lowered but that doesn't surprise me.

You can check jcaesars stream for actual footage of Sonic if you'd like. All in all, Sonic is once again a lot more fun to play and feels perfect to me, kudos to the project m team for making him a little more viable again lol.
If all this is true, I'm gonna be a happy Sonic main.

2fast

Smash Journeyman
If all this is true, I'm gonna be a happy Sonic main.

Check Jcaesars stream archives man, you can see it all xD.

Also, if you blast attack into the ground you retain a little more lag as Sonic does a slow short little hop after hitting the ground.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
^He just face-plants and gets up slowly.

How do you mean Down-B combos better? I guess I'll just check sometime maybe, as that could be tough to explain.

Didn't know skid-stop had a name like that.
Funny name.

Side-B invincible on uncurl INTO skid-stop?

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
is it really invincible? I always thought the flash was just to indicate when Sonic is capable of jumping out of Side-B.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
At least it's not at the start simple-style-lameness.
Watched some clips.
Wanted to see if there were changes to Grabs, but all vids srs lack them.
Anything new with that thing?

2fast

Smash Journeyman
is it really invincible? I always thought the flash was just to indicate when Sonic is capable of jumping out of Side-B.

That's what I thought too but I was able to jump before the flash occurred and I was talking to one of the developers there and he told me Sonic was straight invincible during the flash which kinda blew my mind. I guess the flash also indicates maybe that's best time to jump out of side b for better combos, idk.

^He just face-plants and gets up slowly.

How do you mean Down-B combos better? I guess I'll just check sometime maybe, as that could be tough to explain.

Didn't know skid-stop had a name like that.
Funny name.

Side-B invincible on uncurl INTO skid-stop?
Comboing out of down b now is like back in 2.5 when you could spin dash into someone, jump, and slam a Nair right away. No wavedashing out of spin dash though of course xP. And I believe it goes side b invincible right before uncurl, then uncurl, then skid stop

At least it's not at the start simple-style-lameness.
Watched some clips.
Wanted to see if there were changes to Grabs, but all vids srs lack them.

Anything new with that thing?
Not from what I can tell, they all seemed to be the same

Mapmark659

Smash Rookie

Mapmark here!

But yeah, all of the point's Wizzrobe noted down were true. Thanks for the tip too as well Wizz, I never really bothered to use Up throw as much as I did compared to down throw. I just liked the idea of tech-chasing someone instead of going for guaranteed damage, but that didn't always work out on my part.

Also, there is a bit of invincibility towards the end of Side B which I noticed off stream and towards the later part while on stream. I think I noted it to you before you asked Cmart or JC 2fast xD.

But on the most important part, Sanic can now Kill! From Neutral Air, to three hit boxes on his F-air (Correct me if i'm wrong). Is this the 3.0 sonic that we wanted to have? In my opinion, coming from never playing melee, but brawl in it's entirety, I for one, like it.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
It's ok, they're late instead of on start-up, and fun because you can act out of them, etc.
Start-up invincibility on a ridiculously fast character is when you have problems.
A few frames is like a decade at the speed this character moves, so late, should be fun and not broken.

Mapmark659

Smash Rookie
It's ok, they're late instead of on start-up, and fun because you can act out of them, etc.
Start-up invincibility on a ridiculously fast character is when you have problems.
A few frames is like a decade at the speed this character moves, so late, should be fun and not broken.
Regardless, it can bring in a whole new idea of what WE can do with that invincibility.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
And it would make the character infinitely more frustrating to play against.

Invulnerability on a quickly-moving "attack" can serve as an extremely potent combo-breaker, as well.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Well I'm not going to make super harsh judgments since I don't have the character in my hands, but my first impression from hearing about it is that maybe its a little too much. Then again I don't know too much about the specifics, so meh.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
ZSS escapes too much stuff...
Escaping and hitting AT THE SAME TIME?!?!
Would be crazy... cough2.1
2.5 was just not even interesting though...

I like 2.6, and a better 2.6 is going to be sexy.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Calm down sonic's not going to be OP.

Sonic does sound pretty good now but I have to play him for myself to really find out.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Didn't see anyone freaking out in this thread, and I'm always pretty chill, so we're good here. I'm curious as to why they put invincibility frames on it though, or for that matter, the specifics on it frame data wise.

cmart

Smash Lord
That's what I thought too but I was able to jump before the flash occurred and I was talking to one of the developers there and he told me Sonic was straight invincible during the flash which kinda blew my mind. I guess the flash also indicates maybe that's best time to jump out of side b for better combos, idk.

Who were you talking to? Cuz that's straight false lol. The flash DOES indicate when the JC-lock expires, and you shouldn't have been able to jump before it. I'll have to double check and make sure it's working as intended.

To clarify though - there are NO invinc frames during side B

Mapmark659

Smash Rookie
What? Oh no. I like to spread false information Q_Q. My bad folks.

But, what's the point in having that little flash when a good majority of sanic players know the earliest possible moment to jump out of side b? Just for Aesthetics?

cmart

Smash Lord
Would you rather have no indicator at all Mapmark? Super specifically requested one and I didn't see the harm in adding it if it helps players learn the timing.

Mapmark659

Smash Rookie
It doesn't bother me nevertheless. But coming from a 2D fighter background, I assumed seeing the flash meant a invcibility frame. But I did feel as if I could jump out of it before the flash came out if that means anything. I could be wrong if I was able to or not, I'd have to watch again.

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Im so annoyed with it forcing me out of spin dash. that never happened in the game and i dont know what they were thinking. this is the first time Im genuinely upset with a decision the PMBR made.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Could you be more specific? I am not quite sure what you mean when you say, "it forcing me out of a spin dash." Also, what is "the game?"

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't bother me nevertheless. But coming from a 2D fighter background, I assumed seeing the flash meant a invcibility frame. But I did feel as if I could jump out of it before the flash came out if that means anything. I could be wrong if I was able to or not, I'd have to watch again.
In PM white flash equals tech indicator (l-canceling). Colored flash equals armor (red for Bowser, blue for Squirtle).

Im so annoyed with it forcing me out of spin dash. that never happened in the game and i dont know what they were thinking. this is the first time Im genuinely upset with a decision the PMBR made.
Sorry that you can't just infinitely camp in spin now? That's why it was removed.

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
Ok good, thanks for clearing things up cmart. I don't mind the flash, although I already know when I can jump out of side-B. If it helps other players adapt then there's no real harm.

2fast

Smash Journeyman
Who were you talking to? Cuz that's straight false lol. The flash DOES indicate when the JC-lock expires, and you shouldn't have been able to jump before it. I'll have to double check and make sure it's working as intended.

To clarify though - there are NO invinc frames during side B

Oh dang lol I can't 100% remember who I talked to about that as I felt it was vanguard but it might have actually just of been mapmark the whole time since he mentioned xD though I do strongly recall being able to jump before the flash occured.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I would be really funny if the flash was AFTER the timing was available...
Just to mess with people as well as make it sadface whenever it does flash, knowing it wasn't optimized if you meant to cancel it optimally-fast. :p

cmart

Smash Lord
Guess it can't hurt to post that side B WAS bugged during thursday's preview stream and isn't reflective of what will be in the release. Sorry Mapmark, 2fast - it isn't supposed to be THAT good : P

Mapmark659

Smash Rookie
Darn, I knew I shouldn't have said anything concerning it! Lol, I failed you sanic.

Ariyo

Smash Apprentice
A flash on Side-B now?
Welp. There goes the work I put it in for actually learning the timing.

Top Bottom