• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic General Discussion/Social thread

Player -0

Smash Hero
Sonic doesn't have any true losing matchups I think? Especially not to Marth, Roy, Kirby or Lucas. Falco's lasers are super annoying though. You're probably not playing campy enough.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Need some input from my fellow Sonic mains on this. I've been struggling with certain matchups (especially Marth, Roy, Falco, Kirby and Lucas) and have been losing to players I know for a fact I can beat, but just end up blowing it in one way or another. Question is, which ones should I really try to work out with Sonic, and which ones should I just automatically switch to one of my backups for? I play Bowser as my secondary, and i'm really confident with him. Other characters i'd consider going in tourney are Fox and Falcon.
As someone recently told me, figure out ways to make Sonic work even in an unfavorable match up. If he's your main then you should definitely try to maximize your skill with him as best as possible. That being said the only advice I can give is that with Marth and Roy you don't necessarily want to be too aggressive considering they can outspace and pretty much out prioritize you (or at least that has been my experience). Try and bait them, as for Falco in my own experience being aggressive with him is your best bet, as if you back off even a little he'll kinda screw you over, and Kirby and Lucas; well I don't have any experience with those as no one I know personally plays with them.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Need some input from my fellow Sonic mains on this. I've been struggling with certain matchups (especially Marth, Roy, Falco, Kirby and Lucas) and have been losing to players I know for a fact I can beat, but just end up blowing it in one way or another. Question is, which ones should I really try to work out with Sonic, and which ones should I just automatically switch to one of my backups for? I play Bowser as my secondary, and i'm really confident with him. Other characters i'd consider going in tourney are Fox and Falcon.
As someone recently told me, figure out ways to make Sonic work even in an unfavorable match up. If he's your main then you should definitely try to maximize your skill with him as best as possible. That being said the only advice I can give is that with Marth and Roy you don't necessarily want to be too aggressive considering they can outspace and pretty much out prioritize you (or at least that has been my experience). Try and bait them, as for Falco in my own experience being aggressive with him is your best bet, as if you back off even a little he'll kinda screw you over, and Kirby and Lucas; well I don't have any experience with those as no one I know personally plays with them.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I'm legitimately pretty jealous of the alternate costume you guys are getting in next patch. I don't have the will to main the character for it but I'll definitely admire from afar.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Anyone have advice on fighting Diddy? Like should I be more aggressive against him, or play a more passive style. I'm trust trying to figure out/learn how matchups work, and Diddy I find particularly troubling. To me its mainly the bananas, that prevent me from really running around how I like. I know I can spindash over them while they are on the ground, but aside from that they are a pain, and I am not all that great at wave dashing, or picking up items yet, its still something I'm trying to get good at.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Anyone have advice on fighting Diddy? Like should I be more aggressive against him, or play a more passive style. I'm trust trying to figure out/learn how matchups work, and Diddy I find particularly troubling. To me its mainly the bananas, that prevent me from really running around how I like. I know I can spindash over them while they are on the ground, but aside from that they are a pain, and I am not all that great at wave dashing, or picking up items yet, its still something I'm trying to get good at.
IDK if this is gonna help but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDdlhDTDk9E IDK how you are gonna deal with bananas tho if your still working on Wavedashing

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
IDK if this is gonna help but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDdlhDTDk9E IDK how you are gonna deal with bananas tho if your still working on Wavedashing
This does help, and oddly enough the particular Sonic player is extra helpful for me. I have seen this fight before but I think I will study it more closely, as I can see some things. I probably won't be able to react that face yet, but it helps nonetheless. As for wave dashing its not so much that I can't do it, its that I'm not perfect. In the case of banana's I usually don't have an issue with grabbing them off of platforms, but when they on the ground its like 30/70 in my case. I will try to wave dash into them and sometimes I will just end up tripping on them instead. Its actually pretty annoying lol, but fighting Diddy in my mind is also a great way to get better at wave dashing as it demands that you be able to do it, otherwise you are at an even bigger disadvantage.

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any experience with the Squirtle MU? Don't really see any videos of it and would like to see how others approach him .

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
This does help, and oddly enough the particular Sonic player is extra helpful for me. I have seen this fight before but I think I will study it more closely, as I can see some things. I probably won't be able to react that face yet, but it helps nonetheless. As for wave dashing its not so much that I can't do it, its that I'm not perfect. In the case of banana's I usually don't have an issue with grabbing them off of platforms, but when they on the ground its like 30/70 in my case. I will try to wave dash into them and sometimes I will just end up tripping on them instead. Its actually pretty annoying lol, but fighting Diddy in my mind is also a great way to get better at wave dashing as it demands that you be able to do it, otherwise you are at an even bigger disadvantage.
If you want if you play Wifi I can help you with the MU (I Secondary Diddy Kong so yea)

Ariyo

Smash Apprentice
How is the Sonic vs Olimar matchup if anyone knows? I find myself struggling to approach against this character as pikmin seem to beat everything i do and dthrow to upsmash chains seem to put me quickly at kill percent. I also can't reliably bait the Olimar or get him to approach. The MU seems to remind me of Falcon vs Marth, but I feel like Sonic is better than that

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
How is the Sonic vs Olimar matchup if anyone knows? I find myself struggling to approach against this character as pikmin seem to beat everything i do and dthrow to upsmash chains seem to put me quickly at kill percent. I also can't reliably bait the Olimar or get him to approach. The MU seems to remind me of Falcon vs Marth, but I feel like Sonic is better than that
IDK how the MU is because as Sonic I have never played a Olimar if you play Wifi I can help you if you want

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
If you want if you play Wifi I can help you with the MU (I Secondary Diddy Kong so yea)
I have no idea how I am supposed to play Wi-Fi since Nintendo discontinued the Wi-Fi service for the Wii. I have heard that there is an alternative but I actually no nothing about it, nor do I know whether or not it fixes the lag issues that Brawl had.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I saw Wizzrobe do a B reverse Homing Attack to save himself when he accidently spinshotted off stage, does anyone know the timing for this? Is it right after pressing B initially or when the attack is coming out?

mbaby

Smash Rookie
NNID
Altyjr2
I saw Wizzrobe do a B reverse Homing Attack to save himself when he accidently spinshotted off stage, does anyone know the timing for this? Is it right after pressing B initially or when the attack is coming out?
well he probably pressed the button as soon as he did the spinshot, and as it was winding up he moved the analog to the direction of the stage and press b again

GeZ

Smash Lord
Right though? You know the thought process behind that was literally "we can't agree on an alt for sonic, and Jet Set Radio Future was cool. Lets go with that."

Heero Yuy

#sweg
How well you guys think Sonic handles Link? Sure he has the projectiles (esp. the bombs) that limit Sonic's approaches but I think sorta like Falcon and ZSS, Sonic just has a breezy time getting into Link's space.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
We cover a lot of matchups in the discussion 'Sonic's worst matchup', and I find Link to be one of Sonic's more problem matchups(along with MK, Falco, Mario). I would never say 'Especially the bombs', but honestly a Link with a bomb in hand instead of a bomb thrown is far more dangerous than one without. It's his boomerang which is the biggest offender against Sonic, as I've seen that if Link tossed the 'rang out and connects with it at max range, he can actually follow-up at mid-percent across the stage with a well-timed AGT and end with a Dair as long as he connects with the bomb, too. On stages like PS2, that's it for Sonic.

Personally I'm sad that I lost to Carls' Wario at TBH4, as it ended with an awful SD. I'm sure most Sonic main's know the feeling when they Dair the edge and Sonic hangs there on the edge, his foot on stage but the landing animation refuses to happen - and then he just slips off and dies because you already used your upB. Not saying I would have won the match otherwise, but I'd have rather been defeated by an attack over an SD any day.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Thanks Sol for the input. We Links personally think it favors you guys, but it's good to see the other side of the argument.

My next question is, do y'all think Sonic is good on small stages?

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Sol for the input. We Links personally think it favors you guys, but it's good to see the other side of the argument.

My next question is, do y'all think Sonic is good on small stages?
It is much harder for Sonic to bait on smaller stages like Green Hill Zone, mainly because he can't abuse his running speed. But that's not to say that he is significantly worse on smaller stages.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
From reading, it sounds like you won't see my style of Sonic ever again. Pretty well removed my momentum and movement game. Gonna have to relearn the character over again, or move on to my secondaries until this iteration feels right again.

The_Sir_Reginald

Smash Rookie
The entire cast was not really nerfed. First off, Mario still has a recovery from anywhere on the stage, also still out prioritizes every one of sonics attacks. And other than the major problems (diddy, lucas, mewtwo) and random gimmicks (squirtles withdraw, and some others) the nerfs weren't too bad. This wasn't nearly as big a recovery nerf to the cast as they said (unless youre lucas diddy or sonic).

Sonic has so fewer tools now. If you're off stage and your opponent isn't near the edge all you can do is spin shot (which barely goes anywhere now) and spring up (which is one of the most punishable recoveries). And spin shot puts you at a verrry predictable area and side b just doesn't let you jump for SOOO long. I feel like recovery mix ups are gonna be nearly impossible now :/

Then popping people up with down b is sooo hard now that hitboxes are gone the moment you even think about turning.

The helplessness and landing lag of homing attack is nuts also, if you ever miss that, you're so free it's not even funny.

I'm just a little salty since I just got finished playing him in friendlies a lot, so some things may be overstated, but I'm pretty much learning an entirely new character at this point....

Vino.

Been Vino since 2007
He's completely different, his whole game style has changed. His recovery is pretty bad in my personal opinion, once you hit him once after he jumps he's dead if you hold the ledge. His b down isn't good anymore, you can't really do much out of it. He revolves around a mix up game, and he simply can't hold his own against much of the cast now.

The_Sir_Reginald

Smash Rookie
Yep, I'd go so far to say Marth and Roy have a better recovery than him now. At least they can traverse horizontally when they don't have a jump. Also, they have hitboxes. Sonic's recovery is easily one of the worst in the game now.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Top Bottom