• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic General Discussion/Social thread

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Sonic mains! I ask you, how can I beat his spin dash? I am a wifi player, so timing attacks doesn´t always work out lol.

Specificcally, how can i differentiate between the side B and the down B?

Which move has more priority? side B or Down B?

Do these moves beat Side/Down B?
-Uncharged Shadow Ball
-Marth´s down tilt/ftilt
¨-Super Missile
-Homing Missile
-Uncharged Charge Beam
-Morph Ball Bomb
-Snake´s tilts
MK´s Dash Attack
I know Mewtwo's shadow ball can stop it, as can pretty much any other projectile since they all have hit stun as far as I'm aware. As for the one that you listed that aren't projectiles that all depends on your timing, and Sonic just stop his spindash short if he wants to. So if you say tried using marth's down tilt Sonic could just stop, or he could just jump and attack from above.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I know Mewtwo's shadow ball can stop it, as can pretty much any other projectile since they all have hit stun as far as I'm aware. As for the one that you listed that aren't projectiles that all depends on your timing, and Sonic just stop his spindash short if he wants to. So if you say tried using marth's down tilt Sonic could just stop, or he could just jump and attack from above.
My problem is actually beating out the spin dash. I often try to wait it out and let them come at me, but spin dash just beats everything it seems. For the same reason i struggle with Squirtle lol. Sonic above Mewtwo, Marth or MK is a terribad position for Sonic, and at that, I´m pretty good at juggling and covering escape options.

Last edited:

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
My problem is actually beating out the spin dash. I often try to wait it out and let them come at me, but spin dash just beats everything it seems. For the same reason i struggle with Squirtle lol. Sonic above Mewtwo, Marth or MK is a terribad position for Sonic, and at that, I´m pretty good at juggling and covering escape options.
In that case you need t find someone who mains Sonic so you can get better at fighting him.
Intricately explain Sonic's side-b and down-b to me.

(Pretty please.)
Couldn't if I tried. I kinda just know, difference as its second nature to me. I don't think I could explain it very well.

Neptune Shiranui

Shadow Streak~
NNID
Darky_Shiranui
Intricately explain Sonic's side-b and down-b to me.

(Pretty please.)
Sonic's side-b is where he does the short distance spin-dash with the bluish flashes and can wave-dash out of it or slide-kick after it. He can also short-hop after the flash or JC-grab for follow ups. Down-b is the long-distance spin-dash where he flashes white before he moves and can skid-stop if the user shields. Down-b is also good for combo-starters and other aerial mix-ups.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Entering a tournament this weekend in my local area! It'll be streamed. Search up ACL Sydney if anyone is interested in watching me. :awesome: No idea how well/bad I'll go.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Last edited:

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Any of you up for the Sonic Challenge? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BixZR3-YiMw
Doing SH Bair and Side-b'ing before touching the ground, then do again with Nair and then Bair again in that order. Very hard, I challenge ya'll to attempt and/or record.
You make it look so easy lol. I know for me personally it'd be extremely difficult almost impossible since I have a heavy finger, and I can't short hop very well. It is because of this I can't wave dash to save my life, and instead have to moon walk in order to have a similar effect.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I recently placed 4th in Project M singles in a major national Australian tournament. I feel amazing! :D

Also, @ mtmaster mtmaster ... not to demean your attempt but there's two things wrong with this video.

1. You're not short hopping, you're doing full jumps.
2. While this isn't neccesarily a bad thing about the attempt per say but it appears like you're playing on an HD television and thus there is input lag. You're attempting to do a 2 frame trick with a laggy device.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the TV. Good attempt though. I Still can't do it lol

Last edited:

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
I recently placed 4th in Project M singles in a major national Australian tournament. I feel amazing! :D

Also, @ mtmaster mtmaster ... not to demean your attempt but there's two things wrong with this video.

1. You're not short hopping, you're doing full jumps.
2. While this isn't neccesarily a bad thing about the attempt per say but it appears like you're playing on an HD television and thus there is input lag. You're attempting to do a 2 frame trick with a laggy device.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the TV. Good attempt though. I Still can't do it lol
I know I'm not short hopping, I'm horrible at doing so lol. Also while I am aware there is an apparent lag when using an HD TV, I really don't notice it. Mind you I'm not exactly a high level player or anything, plus I have no access to an old school TV, so I'm SOL in that regard lol.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I'm currently a Link who's looking into Sonic as a secondary due to how fun he is and that he seems to have better matchups against spacies than Link does.

First question: What are some of Sonic's approach options and how does his neutral game work? I definitely know that I'm DownB'ing a bit too much, and that gets too predictable.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I'm currently a Link who's looking into Sonic as a secondary due to how fun he is and that he seems to have better matchups against spacies than Link does.

First question: What are some of Sonic's approach options and how does his neutral game work? I definitely know that I'm DownB'ing a bit too much, and that gets too predictable.
Sonics approach options are nair & Down B I sometimes approach with Blast Attack which is a faster version of Homing Attack to do it press a & b at same time and you should see a faster version of it

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
So anyone got any advice on DI'ing against Marth's attacks? I'm not exactly perfect at teching and one thing that always gets me is Marth's throw to forward Smash among other things. Its really aggravating because once I get grabbed I pretty much know I am dead, but I figured maybe I can DI to kind of avoid some of the blunt of the blow, but I'm not exactly sure how what directions I should be DI'ing especially against Marth's forward throw.

Last edited:

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
So anyone got any advice on DI'ing against Marth's attacks? I'm not exactly perfect at teching and one thing that always gets me is Marth's throw to forward Smash among other things. Its really aggravating because once I get grabbed I pretty much know I am dead, but I figured maybe I can DI to kind of avoid some of the blunt of the blow, but I'm not exactly sure how what directions I should be DI'ing especially against Marth's forward throw.
For Down Throw I think you need to DI to the direction Marth is Facing

Last edited:

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
If Marth grabs you just simply hold down. You will DI as far from Marth as possible no matter what direction he throws you.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
For Down Throw I think you need to DI to the direction Marth is Facing
If Marth grabs you just simply hold down. You will DI as far from Marth as possible no matter what direction he throws you.
Preciate the advice fellas, definitely will take this into account next time I play a Marth. Curse him and his damn disjointed grab range -_-.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
How do the SideB combos on spacies work? I figured you waveland out of it at some point, but I'm not hitting the precise window to waveland. Thanks!

(I'd also like to know if there's a guide on 3.0 SideB in general, since it's the hardest move for me to manipulate.)

Last edited:

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
How do the SideB combos on spacies work? I figured you waveland out of it at some point, but I'm not hitting the precise window to waveland. Thanks!

(I'd also like to know if there's a guide on 3.0 SideB in general, since it's the hardest move for me to manipulate.)
When you side B you will see little more than half the animation then wavedash frame data wise I can't tell you becaus I know 0% Frame Data and so far there's no Sonic guide in General

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I just figured out something, Flash. Thanks though!

Next question is how do you edgehog with the sideB? Not sure if it's timing that I'm missing or...

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I just figured out something, Flash. Thanks though!

Next question is how do you edgehog with the sideB? Not sure if it's timing that I'm missing or...
When you run off the ledge you Side B to the ledge but you hold the B Button

Last edited:

Foldafolda

Smash Rookie
I recently placed top 10 in a local and what stopped me in both pools and bracket was the one and only Mewtwo. Granted, it was my first time ever fighting a decent Mew2 but MAN did that match up feel hard.

For those more experienced in the MU, is it actually bad for Sonic or is there some stuff I need to learn?

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Read his teleports. Literally the only drawback to that move is that it has a set distance to travel, and you can intercept him with utilt, and because of it's set distance he doesn't usually have much ability to punish your utilt. If he tries to read it there is a shot that a perfectly spaced fair can give you a bad time, but Mewtwo's really broken in that way anyway so, unless you're facing M2K or Emukiller you should be fine just reading with utilt.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman

I have a very love/hate relationship with Sonic. I very much enjoy playing him, but I always ignore half of his moveset when I do. I love his normals and basic movement options, but I think all of his b-moves are ridiculous. I know this character has been jerked around a lot already, but rather than nerf/tweaking him, I wish he would just be redesigned for the next version of the game.

He feels very gimmicky with all of his spin moves, homing attack is just silly, and I hate the way up-b lets Sonic go from the bottom of the stage to the top and back in a second. These options really make him feel out of control, and not in the Captain Falcon way.

Homing attack - just make it Blast Attack and give it an always set trajectory. Put him into special fall unless it connects. Currently, I don't like how the move takes a degree of control out of the player's hands, I don't like how it boosts Sonic's recovery, and I don't like the way it needlessly extends combos.

Side-b/down-b - I don't even know...just make them useless like Melee Yoshi's egg roll. I haven't seen much out of these moves that appeals to me (aside from some side-b momentum stuff), and I really don't think he needs the boost these moves bring to the table. His speed/movement is good enough already. If down-b could put Sonic into a spin burst that worked kind of like a Shine, I think that'd be pretty cool. No reflecting or invincibility or frame 1, but just a close-range pressure move that pops the opponent up/away to some degree.

Up-b - I've made this suggestion before, but I'd like the move to work something like this.

The move could be charged and angled like Diddy's. Tapping would only give him a little bounce, while charging would give him something close to the distance he has now. I really don't like the idea of recovery moves that don't put you into special fall, but if any recovery move makes sense for that, it's the spring.

I don't know. This is how I would like to see Sonic in an ideal PM. In that world, everyone would be about as good as Melee Marth, so I don't know if we'll ever get that. However, the first 3.5 blog post has me hopeful that things are going to be toned down a bit. I'm not really looking for a debate here, I just figured I'd post my thoughts. I'm sure this comes off as a bit Smash/Melee conservative, but that's just how I'd like to see the character, so I don't mean to offend anyone who really likes Sonic as-is.

[/flameshield]

GabPR

Smash Lord

I have a very love/hate relationship with Sonic. I very much enjoy playing him, but I always ignore half of his moveset when I do. I love his normals and basic movement options, but I think all of his b-moves are ridiculous. I know this character has been jerked around a lot already, but rather than nerf/tweaking him, I wish he would just be redesigned for the next version of the game.

He feels very gimmicky with all of his spin moves, homing attack is just silly, and I hate the way up-b lets Sonic go from the bottom of the stage to the top and back in a second. These options really make him feel out of control, and not in the Captain Falcon way.

Homing attack - just make it Blast Attack and give it an always set trajectory. Put him into special fall unless it connects. Currently, I don't like how the move takes a degree of control out of the player's hands, I don't like how it boosts Sonic's recovery, and I don't like the way it needlessly extends combos.

Side-b/down-b - I don't even know...just make them useless like Melee Yoshi's egg roll. I haven't seen much out of these moves that appeals to me (aside from some side-b momentum stuff), and I really don't think he needs the boost these moves bring to the table. His speed/movement is good enough already. If down-b could put Sonic into a spin burst that worked kind of like a Shine, I think that'd be pretty cool. No reflecting or invincibility or frame 1, but just a close-range pressure move that pops the opponent up/away to some degree.

Up-b - I've made this suggestion before, but I'd like the move to work something like this.

The move could be charged and angled like Diddy's. Tapping would only give him a little bounce, while charging would give him something close to the distance he has now. I really don't like the idea of recovery moves that don't put you into special fall, but if any recovery move makes sense for that, it's the spring.

I don't know. This is how I would like to see Sonic in an ideal PM. In that world, everyone would be about as good as Melee Marth, so I don't know if we'll ever get that. However, the first 3.5 blog post has me hopeful that things are going to be toned down a bit. I'm not really looking for a debate here, I just figured I'd post my thoughts. I'm sure this comes off as a bit Smash/Melee conservative, but that's just how I'd like to see the character, so I don't mean to offend anyone who really likes Sonic as-is.

[/flameshield]
I think Sonic is one of those characters that has seen the most drastic of changes compared to all other characters in terms of move set. In the transition of 2.5 to 2.6 Sonic was changed a lot and, while it was necessary, it made players feel desmotivated that they had put a lot an effort into a character and then suddenly they are given a new one. Personally I kinda like your spring idea, but I would not like another massive move set change if it is not necessary when people have already put a lot of practice into this build.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I've been running it in my head(easy to do when you're a Sonic main), and while Sonic has seen the most drastic gameplay changes between versions in this game, aside from Lucas, I think our little hedgehog friend won't be seeing a single change, except for one - I think HA use will be limited to one when you're in the air. Honestly it makes the most sense, as it would stop the under-stage bouncing gimmick, and it'd be less spam-worthy to return to the stage with. Of course the caveat is that he'd be able to use it consecutively should he connect with it.

That's the only bit I can see Sonic undergoing in the next patch. He's a weird character, but his weaknesses are vast and, while he does have a recovery that covers a great distance, he's so light in this game that he's having to recover at percentages that are far lower than your typical character, and generally characters like that have fairly solid recoveries.

Any other change would detriment the way he is played in general, and any changes to his special game in terms of Down and Side special would have a huge impact on-stage, so I think they'll leave him alone. They've already said they wanted to make the least amount of changes to Sonic before so his playstyle remains intact.

Now if they could give him a less garbage green color... he'd be broken.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I would like a more lime green.

I just started playing this... I felt Sonic was kinda bad at first and I still don't think he's great but I'm warming up to him. Once I figured out you can jump cancel side b into grab and it's height is determined by holding and you can halt down b by holding shield it got way better. I was trying to spin cancel side b and do other Brawl like things. I also know about canceling homing attack early. Can he do any other non obvious move mods?

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Sonic is by no stretch of the imagination bad. I'd rank him at least top 10 if not top 5. You can't play him like Brawl Sonic though, he's a very different character.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I don't think he's bad. I did before I realized his moves had secondary properties that made them good. I was playing Brawl Sonic with L cancels wavedashes dash dances and moonwalks with no spin cancels at first but I got past that. The new horizontal movement is a godsend. Top 5? I feel all three spacies, Zelda/Sheik, Marth, Mario and Mewtwo are better. Then I think a few more are maybe better. Link, Ike, Metaknight... I feel Sonic is probably high mid/low high maybe? I still have to examine more.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Sonic has insane movement options, can punish you for pretty much anything you mess up on, punishes you hard, and has really good recovery options.

Edit - Also he baits stuff from you via dash dancing or if you do nothing he'll just grab you and pain train occurs.

Last edited:

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I could see limiting his homing attacks to one like above because he has such good stage presence, I feel he should grab slightly farther standing because I can't shield grab some things I think are stuuuupid that I grab whiffed on. Maybe I need to dash grab oos I dunno. And I wish there was more popup on spindash but they removed it on purpose so they have their reasons.

I understand the grab thing might give him too good a jc grab however.

I don't want to give off the impression I'm complaining or feel he needs those for balance or anything. Just kinda things that irk me for a split second or kinda feel like that's how I pictured him pre brawl release. He's actually very very close already. Damn near flawless. Dev team did a bang up job in general.

Last edited:

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Here's to a, hopefully, unchanged Sonic in 3.5. I think he's got enough options and few enough weaknesses to compete with the best. I'm curious to see if they do anything with his recovery though. That seems to be the focus of the 3.5 update.

Kerfuffle

Smash Apprentice
Need some input from my fellow Sonic mains on this. I've been struggling with certain matchups (especially Marth, Roy, Falco, Kirby and Lucas) and have been losing to players I know for a fact I can beat, but just end up blowing it in one way or another. Question is, which ones should I really try to work out with Sonic, and which ones should I just automatically switch to one of my backups for? I play Bowser as my secondary, and i'm really confident with him. Other characters i'd consider going in tourney are Fox and Falcon.

Top Bottom