• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic 4 Episode 1.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Isn't this list characters who will be playable? If so, I'm guessing that most of these will probably have appearances in the game, but not be playable (apart from Sonic), and some characters who aren't on the list will be, such as Knuckles, Tails, Espio, Silver, Blaze, Babylon Rogue's, Rouge, and Cream and Cheese will be.

And I really love the Wii version of Unleashed. The night stages were shorter than the PS3 ones, and even though there are more I liked them better, and even though the day stages were shorter, and there weren't a lot of them, I think they had better layouts, and I enjoyed being ranked solely on time, rather than Time, Score, Style etc.

finalark

SNORLAX

Today's list.

Sonic, Robotnick, and possibley Tails and Knuckles are going to be the only characters in the game in my book.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
Why? Each time they've tried something new it failed and became little more than a joke in the eyes of the gaming comunity. Now they need to go back to his roots more than anything! Now that I think about, Needlemouse is probably going to become one big appology cake to the Sonic fanbase.
Why stick to the same thing. the gaming audience in itself is a joke. Everytime sega comes out with something all people do is try to bash it instead of attempting to embrace it. Sonic unleashed was a good game. But you know what on sites like gamespot and ign it got a 2 or 3. Thats a worse score then sonic 06. That tells you that the industry is bias towards sonic. I unlike most of the old head sonic fans appreciate innovation. Sega and sonic team worked their ***** off towards sonic unleashed and spent alot of money toward it. If you want the old sonics go play the old sonics i dont think that people understand that sonic runs incredibly fast, at many mph so in order to make those levels it takes alot of time. thats why soninc has to do other stuff. Heck even the old sonics were really that much running it was mostly platforming.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Why stick to the same thing.
You're right. My TV in front of me is working as it usually does, why be boring? Let me try and fix it!

the gaming audience in itself is a joke. Everytime sega comes out with something all people do is try to bash it instead of attempting to embrace it.
Just because people bash them doesn't mean they're TRYING to bash them. Maybe Sega just sucks at making Sonic games.

Sonic unleashed was a good game.
In what world?

But you know what on sites like gamespot and ign it got a 2 or 3.
Because it deserved it. I wrote an in-depth review of it myself if you care to see that it's not any sort of conspiracy and actually has legitimate backing.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=240147

Thats a worse score then sonic 06. That tells you that the industry is bias towards sonic.
Or maybe people liked '06 better than Unleashed. I did.

But wait, that would mean someone disagrees with you and isn't a biased fanboy because of it!

I unlike most of the old head sonic fans appreciate innovation.
"Innovation" is a crappy term. The Wiimote is an "innovation". Project Natal is an "innovation". Sixaxis is an "innovation".

Innovation isn't always good. This new generation of games is obsessed with innovation.

Sega and sonic team worked their ***** off towards sonic unleashed and spent alot of money toward it.
Well then, why don't we give them an "A" for effort rather than actually judging the game itself?

If you want the old sonics go play the old sonics
I don't want old Sonics (well, I do, but that's not the ONLY thing I want). I want GOOD Sonic. Thus far, Sega's had little success past the old Sonics.

i dont think that people understand that sonic runs incredibly fast, at many mph so in order to make those levels it takes alot of time. thats why soninc has to do other stuff. Heck even the old sonics were really that much running it was mostly platforming.
It's hard to tell exactly what you're saying here due to lack of punctation/proper spelling and grammar, but...

Sonic is known for running fast, yes, but he didn't start out as this "BOOST BOOST BOOST BOOST JUMP BOOST BOOST BOOST BOOST BOOST" type of character. As you point out, the old Sonics were actually more about PLATFORMING, even. They're not exactly slow, but they're reasonably paced.

And why, exactly, do fast-moving levels take a lot of time to make...? Not to mention that Sonic doesn't HAVE to do ANYTHING else. I would've preferred they take out the horrible plotpoint and gameplay of Werehog and shorten the game rather than force me to play through that crap.

Although I must say, by the end of the game I realized that the daytime levels aren't very well-designed either, and they still force you to perform inane tasks.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
You're right. My TV in front of me is working as it usually does, why be boring? Let me try and fix it!

Just because people bash them doesn't mean they're TRYING to bash them. Maybe Sega just sucks at making Sonic games.

In what world?

Because it deserved it. I wrote an in-depth review of it myself if you care to see that it's not any sort of conspiracy and actually has legitimate backing.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=240147

Or maybe people liked '06 better than Unleashed. I did.

But wait, that would mean someone disagrees with you and isn't a biased fanboy because of it!

"Innovation" is a crappy term. The Wiimote is an "innovation". Project Natal is an "innovation". Sixaxis is an "innovation".

Innovation isn't always good. This new generation of games is obsessed with innovation.

Well then, why don't we give them an "A" for effort rather than actually judging the game itself?

I don't want old Sonics (well, I do, but that's not the ONLY thing I want). I want GOOD Sonic. Thus far, Sega's had little success past the old Sonics.

It's hard to tell exactly what you're saying here due to lack of punctation/proper spelling and grammar, but...

Sonic is known for running fast, yes, but he didn't start out as this "BOOST BOOST BOOST BOOST JUMP BOOST BOOST BOOST BOOST BOOST" type of character. As you point out, the old Sonics were actually more about PLATFORMING, even. They're not exactly slow, but they're reasonably paced.

And why, exactly, do fast-moving levels take a lot of time to make...? Not to mention that Sonic doesn't HAVE to do ANYTHING else. I would've preferred they take out the horrible plotpoint and gameplay of Werehog and shorten the game rather than force me to play through that crap.

Although I must say, by the end of the game I realized that the daytime levels aren't very well-designed either, and they still force you to perform inane tasks.
Dont try that if it isnt broke dont fix it jazz.... sonic had to evolve for the times. You know that the old sonic games would go no more then 10 bucks in the market today. A tv showcases while sonic is a living enity so expanding his storyline is not something so trivial as fixing a tv.
For your review you were mainly talking about the wii. as a rule sonic plots are not supposed to be great. I'll be honest the wii version sucked compared to the 360/ps3 version for graphics, shortened levels, less levels and so on.
I think the werehog was good for what it was. Once you leveled him up he was good. The speed levels are always awesome but as far as that goes you and me are arguing opinion and asthetics. As for 06 that game was terrible. Facts will tell you the game was poorly made with glitchly levels, asinine loading times and the game sometime froze because it couldnt keep up with sonic. the engine for sonic unleashed fixed that. sonic 06 cant be better then unleashed. arguing programming issues > arguing asthetics.
Yes innovation isnt always good but from the transfer to 3d and next gen gaming innovation has to be done and sonic has proven to work. I think we can all agree that the day levels in unleashed were it least decent. sonic team has to work out the kinks. I give them a A for effort personally.
I like the old sonics as much as anybody else but im not blind to realize that some of the platforming was repeatitive. Also those games were very short. only when you combine sonic 3 and sonic and knukles do you get a well hashed game.
As far as making a game of only sonic...you have to understand. Sonic runs at high speeds over miles of land. Graphically they have to keep of with the times. When i saw how much time sonic levels took the creation of a "sonic only" game would have a hyperbolic time chamber effect. What i mean is that over several years of making a game of "sonic only" would equate to playing a 3hr game in our time. No one is really gonna buy a game that only lasts 3 hours. The effort would not even out with the finished product. thats why they do other stuff. Its because the game needs to survive in the market.

finalark

SNORLAX
Dont try that if it isnt broke dont fix it jazz.... sonic had to evolve for the times. You know that the old sonic games would go no more then 10 bucks in the market today. A tv showcases while sonic is a living enity so expanding his storyline is not something so trivial as fixing a tv.
And they'd still be great downloadable games that I would recomend to any and all gamers. And I'm up for expanding the story, but these days the cantinuity between Sonic games is just screwy. I mean come on, just try to convice me that this:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/sonic/images/1/10/Pickle,_Professor.png

Is in the same universe as this: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/sonic/images/f/fe/Box-1.jpg

For your review you were mainly talking about the wii. as a rule sonic plots are not supposed to be great. I'll be honest the wii version sucked compared to the 360/ps3 version for graphics, shortened levels, less levels and so on.
First of all, the story wasn't even a major point (and that's ignoring that fact that the Story was basically just a rehash of Sonic Adventure's story) and second, he's basing his review off of the Wii version. So the 360/PS3 version have nothing to do with this.

I think the werehog was good for what it was. Once you leveled him up he was good. The speed levels are always awesome but as far as that goes you and me are arguing opinion and asthetics.
So the warehog was good for being a lame God of War rip-off? Yeah he could kill stuff really quickly when you leveled him up, but that still doesn't mean that they were uncessary distactions with terrible controls. And the day levels were welcome, but if they didn't have those stupid night levels then the day parts would have been much better.

As for 06 that game was terrible. Facts will tell you the game was poorly made with glitchly levels, asinine loading times and the game sometime froze because it couldnt keep up with sonic.
Or so I heard.

the engine for sonic unleashed fixed that. sonic 06 cant be better then unleashed. arguing programming issues > arguing asthetics.
Meh, never played '06. So no comment.

Yes innovation isnt always good but from the transfer to 3d and next gen gaming innovation has to be done and sonic has proven to work. I think we can all agree that the day levels in unleashed were it least decent. sonic team has to work out the kinks. I give them a A for effort personally.
Um, if you haven't noticed, the time for 2D thing to transfer into 3D was in the mid-90s. Yes, we've seen that a 3D Sonic can work (Adventure 1 and 2, Heroes), but his recent games are very poor. I don't give them an A for effort, they should have had the kinks worked out in 3D Sonic back in 2004.

I like the old sonics as much as anybody else but im not blind to realize that some of the platforming was repeatitive. Also those games were very short. only when you combine sonic 3 and sonic a knukles do you get a well hashed game.
... you... um, question? How old are you? Because back in the Genesis/SNES days, games were short because you had to beat them in one sitting. And how does just having one more character suddenly make Sonic 3 go from "meh" to "OMG AWESOME"?

As far as making a game of only sonic...you have to understand. Sonic runs at high speeds over miles of land. Graphically they have to keep of with the times. When i saw how much time sonic levels took the creation of a "sonic only" game would have a hyperbolic time chamber effect. What i mean is that over several years of making a game of "sonic only" would equate to playing a 3hr game in our time. No one is really gonna buy a game that only lasts 3 hours. The effort would not even out with the finished product. thats why they do other stuff. Its because the game needs to survive in the market.
... Sonic is a fictional character. He's characterized by running reall, really fast, but this doesn't mean that he has to run at the speed of sound in the actual games. Just look at Sonic Adventure 1, 2 and then Heroes to see what I mean.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
And Chip.... oh my god Chip. I think that Sega realized that a more "mature" Sonic (Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic '06) wasn't working, so they tried really make it into something for kids. But Chip... okay, my seven-year-old cusin couldn't even stand Chip.
I don't know what's worse; Chip or Chip's background story.
I really want that...thing...being in charge of holding back evil.
I liked Chip in Unleashed... He was there to provide some comedy and I believe that he gets the job done. This is not supposed to be a serious game, after all. I mean, just look at how cartoony some of the cutscenes are (Chip turning into a ghost, every cutscene involving Eggman, etc.)! His voice isn't even all that annoying (it is a little, but it's nothing compared to Rouge, Omega, and Silver in '06 or Tails in Heroes... ugh...)

What I didn't like was how annoyingly useless Amy was to the plot. She didn't contribute anything AT ALL. -_-

EDIT:
Or so I heard.
Heh, I think the Werehog runs faster than Sonic in '06, actually. :laugh:

:069:

BSP

Smash Legend
I highly doubt that the next Sonic game can top 1, 2, or 3 and knuckles.

I wondered what people meant for a while when they said, "Sonic's going down the drain," but now I know what they mean. Firus is spot on with his review for the Wii version. Idk if the other version is a lot better, but I highly doubt that the wii could be the best with short day stages and 20+ werehog levels.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles is still the best IMO. I hope Sega doesn't fail with this one...

Was 06 really that bad?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Was 06 really that bad?
In my opinion... '06 was a truly terrible game. The only characters that are enjoyable to play as are Omega and Blaze, yet they are only played like 3 times each. =/

The game has ridiculous loading screens (as I'm sure you already know), bad dialog and voice acting, and glitches abound.

Get this: You can stop running on a loop and not fall off. Sonic would be standing upside-down on the loop. Also, slopes in this game have no effect on your speed. You will be running down a hill at the same speed you are running up a hill. In fact, you can just rotate the control stick and still attain maximum speed (which is incredibly slow, by the way).

The game is most broken during the snowboard sections, though. Not only is the handling the snowboard terribly done, but the slope thing also applies here. You can snowboard UP a mountain.

Oh, and Omega is faster than Sonic. >__________>

And these are only three qualms that I have about the game. I can make an essay on how bad this game is, but I'm too lazy to.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I'm dead serious. When I play as Omega I can clearly see that he is going faster than Sonic or Shadow.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
And they'd still be great downloadable games that I would recomend to any and all gamers. And I'm up for expanding the story, but these days the cantinuity between Sonic games is just screwy. I mean come on, just try to convice me that this:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/sonic/images/1/10/Pickle,_Professor.png

Is in the same universe as this: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/sonic/images/f/fe/Box-1.jpg

First of all, the story wasn't even a major point (and that's ignoring that fact that the Story was basically just a rehash of Sonic Adventure's story) and second, he's basing his review off of the Wii version. So the 360/PS3 version have nothing to do with this.

So the warehog was good for being a lame God of War rip-off? Yeah he could kill stuff really quickly when you leveled him up, but that still doesn't mean that they were uncessary distactions with terrible controls. And the day levels were welcome, but if they didn't have those stupid night levels then the day parts would have been much better.

Or so I heard.

Meh, never played '06. So no comment.

Um, if you haven't noticed, the time for 2D thing to transfer into 3D was in the mid-90s. Yes, we've seen that a 3D Sonic can work (Adventure 1 and 2, Heroes), but his recent games are very poor. I don't give them an A for effort, they should have had the kinks worked out in 3D Sonic back in 2004.

... you... um, question? How old are you? Because back in the Genesis/SNES days, games were short because you had to beat them in one sitting. And how does just having one more character suddenly make Sonic 3 go from "meh" to "OMG AWESOME"?

... Sonic is a fictional character. He's characterized by running reall, really fast, but this doesn't mean that he has to run at the speed of sound in the actual games. Just look at Sonic Adventure 1, 2 and then Heroes to see what I mean.

your not getting me.
sonic 3 and knuckles (for pc) is the complete saga of sonic 3. With out sonic and knuckles added on to sonic 3 the story seems shortened. you beat robotinik and he gets away. with sonic and knuckles attached on to it. the story delves into robotiniks true plan to go to space and use the master emerald to power the death egg. Also if you got all the chaos emeralds in sonic 3 and got out super sonic, then you get to continue in the sonic and knckles portion to make the emeralds SUPER. from there you get to be Hyper sonic. by having hyper sonic you unlock the True ending. This includes fighting hyper metal sonic. and having a space fight with robotinik. Sonic 3 and knuckles is the only sonic to have hyper sonic in it. THAT is what makes sonic 3 so good. for a 2d game it was WAY ahead of its time in conceptual thought.
As for making the change in sonic adventure i thought it was good but some of the characters were unneeded. you cant have sonic go though the same story again and again again we are arguing opinion but i think unleashed did a good job of hashing out unessary characters and forcusing on sonic. with the edition of the new engine and advanced level design i think they did great. The werehog can work. It just needs to be worked on. i still liked it.
Also you call the werehog a god of war rip. but you guys go around and say that sonic dfoesnt need to be extreme in running...THAT is who sonic is. If you dont have sonic going super fast in his primary levels then he becomes a platformer and to much of that makes him mario like. i would rather play mario because he does it better
Oh and heroes was terrible.
I used to be like alot of people here. "omg! go bac to sonic old days make him like sonic 3"
Then i read about all the crap sonic team has gone through and I see through all that animosty they still manage to step up, and do something consice and new to appease their fickle but stubborn audience.
I have the 360 version of unleased and its better then the wii so that why i mentioned that to him. what appiles in his interview is bettered by the 360 version. I personally liked it. Plus its still sonic unleased so you have to include it in the review.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
OK, Shade and Amy are out now. That just leaves Sonic, Mr. Needlemouse, Shadow, Big, and Froggy. Now people have to go on SEGA's Twitter page to answer questions.

...I'm betting on Big and Froggy getting out next. >_>

Yoshara

Smash Lord
How much do you wanna bet that it is going to be Sonic and Shadow as the main characters.

P.S. I don't know what is currently more exciting, the possibility of SA1 on XBLA (AKA SA1 with achievements) or project needlemouse.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I want SA2 on XBLA... with online support. That game would be an instant-buy for me, even though I already beat SA2:B 100%. <3

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
ive only played sonic 06 one with my nephew. there was a part where a sand wave w/spike balls in it and one of the balls got stuck in the checkpoint. at that point dying would only mean game over cause at the checkpoint you would get hit by the spike ball instantly and die until all your lives were gone. **** sonic 06.

im approaching needlemouse with the same caution i do every sonic game these days, so i never get dissapointed when they suck

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
ive only played sonic 06 one with my nephew. there was a part where a sand wave w/spike balls in it and one of the balls got stuck in the checkpoint. at that point dying would only mean game over cause at the checkpoint you would get hit by the spike ball instantly and die until all your lives were gone. **** sonic 06.

im approaching needlemouse with the same caution i do every sonic game these days, so i never get dissapointed when they suck
LMFAO! i remeber that. I had to reset the game lol

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob

Yeah, it's just the Hedgehog himself, with no new characters being introduced at all.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
I am kinda dissapointed that they did not try to bring back the feeling of Sonic 3 & Knuckles and have Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles all playable, but hey, as long as they are making a good game I will be happy.

P.S. If the game is only gonna have Sonic, then who will be the villan?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Of all the Badniks to bring back, they had to bring back one of the worst ones that were in the worst level of Sonic.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
NOOOOOO! I hate that Badnik! ;___;

By the way, I anticipated that Sonic would be the only one playable. =/

:069: Don't hurt me, Krabby! D:

UberMario

Smash Master
I am kinda dissapointed that they did not try to bring back the feeling of Sonic 3 & Knuckles and have Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles all playable, but hey, as long as they are making a good game I will be happy.
They still have a shot.

P.S. If the game is only gonna have Sonic, then who will be the villan?
They said that there won't be any new characters, not that Sonic was the only one.

And also HOORAY! I love Crabmeat! Maybe they'll use Leon, Motobug, and the rest of the original Badniks too! (Maybe even the lost badnik Splats)

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Wow.

this is looking like unleashed all over again. :/

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
And also HOORAY! I love Crabmeat! Maybe they'll use Leon, Motobug, and the rest of the original Badniks too! (Maybe even the lost badnik Splats)
That isn't crabmeat, it's more like that one with the massive claw that stretches from Sonic 2 iirc.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
I thought that I was pointing out a error with phrasing, not being sarcastic.

P.S. The place I read this said "Sonic is gauranteed to be the only character in Project Needlemouse"

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm ok with the no new characters. Eggman is still enough for me. If tails is playable, he better not be slow....

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm ok with the no new characters. Eggman is still enough for me. If tails is playable, he better not be slow....
Agreed. I kind of hope that Knuckles is in the game too, but I'm fine with it if he's not.

I wonder if this is going to be an abselute reboot to the entire franchise?

Yoshara

Smash Lord
To me this game seems to be Sonic Team trying to prove that they can still make the classic style of games.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Hate that little forker. Isn't he the one in the Oil Planet (name? Sorry, it's been a while) zone?
Metropolis Zone. With those **** grasshopper robots.

I wonder if this is going to be an abselute reboot to the entire franchise?
I doubt it. That's almost 20 years of history to knock off. If anything, it will be a separate continuity to the Sonic franchise, like how the NSMB sidescrollers are, and like how the Sonic Rush sidescrollers are.

BSP

Smash Legend
Yeah, if Knuckles gets in, I want him to run some, not look for emeralds all day...He has speed, let him use it.

^^that grasshopper was annoying too.

@Firus

Maybe, point is that they were annoying, like everything in metropolis zone lol.

Top Bottom