• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something bothering you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
****, my younger bro is so addicted to the internet, can't get him to get off the PC...I'm worried about him, he'll go 5 hours straight if no one tells him to get off.

When you do tell him to get off, he'll tell you 10 more minutes, then gets pizsed and starts swearing at you for being such a goody goody.
Doesn't know I'm only trying to help him, ****ing in year 8, whole future ahead of him. He prioritises online PC games first, Facebook, MSN etc etc then maybe his education.

With the way technology is advancing and reaching kids at a younger age, the new generations wil be glued to their PC monitors and super phones.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
****, my younger bro is so addicted to the internet, can't get him to get off the PC...I'm worried about him, he'll go 5 hours straight if no one tells him to get off.

When you do tell him to get off, he'll tell you 10 more minutes, then gets pizsed and starts swearing at you for being such a goody goody.
Doesn't know I'm only trying to help him, ****ing in year 8, whole future ahead of him. He prioritises online PC games first, Facebook, MSN etc etc then maybe his education.

With the way technology is advancing and reaching kids at a younger age, the new generations wil be glued to their PC monitors and super phones.
I used to be like this. It passes over time, but don't try manipulating him because it only will make him more addicted and it'll only get worse. Just relax and be patient. It passes over time. It's just a phase, and as time goes on, other things become much more important as he grows up.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Something is no longer bothering me, rather. And that's red text! Thank you premium account for your cool texture! :lessthanthree:

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
I just learned that the girl I was about to go to prom with is now gonna go with one of my friends. I know I can't do anything about that right now and I'm too pissed off to try to talk to them. Sure, it's my fault for calling it off in the first place but I feel like I was driven to that point and now I feel like I was sold out by my own friend. Now I know for sure that I'm not gonna go to prom.
Any advice on how to move forward? It's gonna be hard because I see at least one of them in all of my classes so is there anything I can do besides keep myself distracted?

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
I just learned that the girl I was about to go to prom with is now gonna go with one of my friends. I know I can't do anything about that right now and I'm too pissed off to try to talk to them. Sure, it's my fault for calling it off in the first place but I feel like I was driven to that point and now I feel like I was sold out by my own friend. Now I know for sure that I'm not gonna go to prom.
Any advice on how to move forward? It's gonna be hard because I see at least one of them in all of my classes so is there anything I can do besides keep myself distracted?
Got any other female friends?

If so, go with one of them. After prom, patch things up with your friend.

It seems like the situation is waaay more complicated than it appears, though.

S l o X

Smash Champion
-_- Apparently my ex is cutting again.

and I'm basically trying to get her to stop.

Beyond telling her that it's not helping, only hurting herself further . . . as well as me, I have no argument that will make her think harder before doing it.

She tells me she will try but I think thats bull ****, not until I see her myself in two weeks.

Any advice? ;_;

S l o X

Smash Champion
;_; she basically hates her life.

i'm basically her counselor.

her life sucks and i'm possibly one of the only thing keeping her alive. i'm sure when we meet up sometime soon, things will lighten up but for now i need some more super words of wisdom. i've basically spewed all mines at her at this point.

again, she said she's gonna try to stop. we'll see how this goes :x

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
Hmmmm....

Anyone/anything (besides you) that she enjoys?

If so, you should try using it to keep her here in this world. Give her a reason to live, basically.

How ironic. I'm listening to Fade to Black right now....

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
It all turned out ok, she must've forgot that I accidently called her a hooker yesterday.

I have no idea what I was trying to say, but somehow I ended up saying "What, is there like some hooker hanging up these coat hangers then?"

The next few moments of silence were some of the most awkward ever.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Well I was joking, but I wasn't making a joke about her being a hooker, it was just that we were hanging hooks at the time and I have no idea what I was going to say but it didn't involve the word "hooker".

But to her it probably looked like I made a mistake and said the thing I was thinking in my head by accident.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
You'll have to cheat and get a job with a family member or family friend.

Don't have a family member or family friend who can help you get a job/you can get a job with? Lol good luck!

Reizilla

I wouldn't call not going a mistake. I regretfully remember taking a bad date to prom XD May I ask why you decided to call it off with this chick in the first place?

cutter

Smash Champion
First, some background info:

I've sorta been a Christian growing up as a kid, but as I actually read the Bible outside of church, I started questioning Christianity more and slowly gravitated away from it. After I graduated high school two years ago, I slowly went away from my old youth group as we all separated and went to different colleges.

Today, I had a not-so-great chat on Facebook with one of my friends who used to be part of my old high school youth group. She is a devout Christian, but is also a really nice person. We talked a lot about how science and religion can clash with each other -- especially with evolution.

I on the other hand love math and science (majoring in molecular biology), believe in evolution, yadda yadda yadda. Let's just say the conversation started to get pretty heated.

She kept bugging me in what I really believe in, and after attempting to sidestep her questions enough, I finally just told her that I'm agnostic. That just freaked her out and she basically said something along the lines of "why have you turned your back like that on God?!" and logged off.

Now... I don't feel too good right now. I have a lot of other friends that I grew up with who may not be devout Christians, but are still Christians nonetheless and I still keep in touch with them. I have a feeling that I might be ostracized by them simply because I'm not a Christian, even though I've been keeping my religious beliefs under wraps when they thought I was a Christian regardless. This is one of the main reasons why I generally avoid most intense religious discussions, but if some other people I know find out what I really believe in, then I'll be treated more as an outcast and less as an actual friend.

Any help guys? I don't want to potentially lose any more of my old friends that I've known for over several years.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
I wouldn't call not going a mistake. I regretfully remember taking a bad date to prom XD May I ask why you decided to call it off with this chick in the first place?
I got a little paranoid and I felt that if I went with her, she's probably gonna ditch me at some point because reallly, I wasn't one of her closest friends. We were friends but not as close as I hoped.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
First, some background info:

I've sorta been a Christian growing up as a kid, but as I actually read the Bible outside of church, I started questioning Christianity more and slowly gravitated away from it. After I graduated high school two years ago, I slowly went away from my old youth group as we all separated and went to different colleges.

Today, I had a not-so-great chat on Facebook with one of my friends who used to be part of my old high school youth group. She is a devout Christian, but is also a really nice person. We talked a lot about how science and religion can clash with each other -- especially with evolution.

I on the other hand love math and science (majoring in molecular biology), believe in evolution, yadda yadda yadda. Let's just say the conversation started to get pretty heated.

She kept bugging me in what I really believe in, and after attempting to sidestep her questions enough, I finally just told her that I'm agnostic. That just freaked her out and she basically said something along the lines of "why have you turned your back like that on God?!" and logged off.

Now... I don't feel too good right now. I have a lot of other friends that I grew up with who may not be devout Christians, but are still Christians nonetheless and I still keep in touch with them. I have a feeling that I might be ostracized by them simply because I'm not a Christian, even though I've been keeping my religious beliefs under wraps when they thought I was a Christian regardless. This is one of the main reasons why I generally avoid most intense religious discussions, but if some other people I know find out what I really believe in, then I'll be treated more as an outcast and less as an actual friend.

Any help guys? I don't want to potentially lose any more of my old friends that I've known for over several years.
It's not your problem if they can't accept the fact that you have changed your views,it's theirs.

Your still the same person they knew,so your beliefs should not affect their attitude towards you.

This is why raising children to believe in a certain religion is bad in my opinion.They should just get to make their own choice when the come of age.

There is nothing you really can do except avoid the topic of religion with them.It makes me sad that your friends are making such a big deal over this man.

Reizilla

I went to a Protestant alliance church growing up.
Might I also inquire the things you found in the Bible that made you lose faith in Christianity?

Another thing, about your friends. I personally believe that most Christians are doing it wrong in a lot of ways. Of course, I'm no where close to perfect myself, but something that most don't realize is that they shouldn't be chastising you. Instead they should be trying to reason with you, healthily. At the same time, you shouldn't be upset at their ignorance either, since it's likely not their fault that they're that way, as such is the downfall of following things for traditions' sake.

Anyway, if you're worried about losing your friends, the best thing to do is to try avoiding the discussion. Although you shouldn't be treated as an outcast (should be the opposite) it might still happen, but that's no fault of your own. Perhaps, if they do find out, tell them not to turn their back on YOU.

Smash Master
If the Bible is worth following, there's prolly some parts in there about being kind to one another despite differing views, loving your neighbor or something like that. Quote those at her and if she won't accept you after that, then she's less of a Christian than you are.

My $0.02

BSP

Smash Legend
It's not your problem if they can't accept the fact that you have changed your views,it's theirs.

Your still the same person they knew,so your beliefs should not affect their attitude towards you.

This is why raising children to believe in a certain religion is bad in my opinion.They should just get to make their own choice when the come of age.

There is nothing you really can do except avoid the topic of religion with them.It makes me sad that your friends are making such a big deal over this man.
QFT. You're the same person, you're just thinking about it atm. I would say your friends would need to accept that you've changed, not ostracize you.

This is why I don't like bringing up religion with friends. It makes me sad when friendships get complicated because of it.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
And cutters story is why I hate religious arguments

But my beef with it is homosexuality with religion instead. I was with this guy expressing my views of me agreeing with gayness. Him being the devout catholic shouted it in front of everyone I knew, despite me intending for it to be private.

If these people can't accept you then I say leave 'em. You'll be better off without them pressuring you to be something that you're not. I could change aspects of myself just to satisfy people, but I'm pretty **** happy with myself, so screw 'em. I'd prefer to be picked on for being “that gay kid” than be something I'm not.

So in all, don't change. Either leave them or they leave you and get yourself more accepting friends.

btw, now that I'm on the topic of homosexuality, I sicken myself. Even though I'm strongly for homosexuality, I still say things like “Don't be gay” when someone does a cheap move in a video game or something. I wanna stop, but after years of saying that, I can't come up with another expression. Dont tell me to replace it with “Don't be so cheap” because there are many situations where I use that phrase.

Help me out here? I sicken myself with me sounding like a hypocrite when I don't mean to.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
We all make gay jokes like that. One of my friends has a full frontal nude photo of him and like 7 friends standing arm in arm at uni when they were all unbelievably drunk, and my other friend has a top saying "I'm a Gleek".

The amount of gay jokes I make to them is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom