• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly the one thing I'm hoping for with the Pokémon news tomorrow (besides more of my old favorites being confirmed to return) is good music.

Literally the only song I've liked so far from what's been in trailers and demos is the bagpipe song.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Honestly the one thing I'm hoping for with the Pokémon news tomorrow (besides more of my old favorites being confirmed to return) is good music.

Literally the only song I've liked so far from what's been in trailers and demos is the bagpipe song.
You don’t like the bad ass song from the first town?

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Replaying Odyssey, gotta say the festival sequence is still one of my favorite parts of a video game period.
I haven't even played/finished too many other Mario games and I still thought that sequence was awesome. Some people see those sequences (and anything else that calls back to 8-bit Mario) as nostalgia-bait and self-congratulatory, but I think the way Super Mario Odyssey implements all of those moments, especially the festival sequence, is really creative and wonderful.

I'm about to start my third playthrough soon. The game is linked to October/Halloween times for me because I got it on launch in October two years ago, and played it a bunch simultaneously with Killing Floor 2's Halloween event. Not sure if I'm going to make it my third 999 moon playthrough, though...

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I'm ready for a night filled with insomnia due to stress. :upsidedown:
If you can, put on a show or YouTube video that you like but have already seen before and watch that. It'll allow your mind to concentrate on that, but not so much so that it keeps you awake, and should help you fall asleep. Works for me, usually.

I've found that Did You Know Gaming videos are good for this, since they're just narrating specific and sometimes complicated information that requires your mind to think about it, but it's not something that's so engaging that it's keeping you awake.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
If you can, put on a show or YouTube video that you like but have already seen before and watch that. It'll allow your mind to concentrate on that, but not so much so that it keeps you awake, and should help you fall asleep. Works for me, usually.

I've found that Did You Know Gaming videos are good for this, since they're just narrating specific and sometimes complicated information that requires your mind to think about it, but it's not something that's so engaging that it's keeping you awake.
You and I think quite alike my friend. I'm damn near out of DYKG videos to watch, though. Moved on to SwankyBox's content.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
You and I think quite alike my friend. I'm damn near out of DYKG videos to watch, though. Moved on to SwankyBox's content.
I also use Ross's Game Dungeon, since I've watched all of those and they're oddly good for sleep, and Summoning Salt's speedrun history videos, since that's also just relaxed narration of specific and complicated information... but sometimes the loud speedrunner popoffs make those videos not as ideal...

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I also use Ross's Game Dungeon, since I've watched all of those and they're oddly good for sleep, and Summoning Salt's speedrun history videos, since that's also just relaxed narration of specific and complicated information... but sometimes the loud speedrunner popoffs make those videos not as ideal...
This morning in the midst of the night I watched a two hour history of Super Mario Sunshine speedrunning, posted by AverageTrey. Really suggest that one if you're bored and out of ideas.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Going off of DYKG, I'd recommend:

The Video Game Years - It's basically a VH1 take on retro gaming and is hosted by several notable Youtubers & industry figures. It's well produced, with each episode lasting around an hour. They cover 1977-1989. If you want to learn about gaming Pre-SMB, I'd recommend this highly. It's TV broadcast quality content.

Jeremy Parish - He's one of the main guys behind Retronauts and one of the leading gaming historians/preservationists. In depth coverage of individual titles, going in order of release. The videos are short (5~12 minutes) but he does a really good job of tracing the history of each genre, potential influences, as well as crediting designers and listing company history:
NES - 1985, 1986, currently on 1987
SNES - 1991, currently on 1992
Virtual Boy - Every Single Release, completed
Gameboy (EVERY SINGLE RELEASE NA/JP/PAL) - 1989, currently on 1990,
Also N64 & GBC to a lesser extent as well as the history of Metroidvanias & select JP only releases.

The Gaming Historian - Kind of a no brainer. If you can only watch one episode, definitely make it the Story of Tetris.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
This morning in the midst of the night I watched a two hour history of Super Mario Sunshine speedrunning, posted by AverageTrey. Really suggest that one if you're bored and out of ideas.
Oh I love that video. I actually think it's way better than any of Summoning Salt's videos. Summing Salt does an amazing job at researching all this stuff, compiling all the hours and hours of relevant footage, and editing it down into a solid video. But... as someone who's done a lot of video editing myself over the years, he falls short in a lot of other areas. He uses clip art a lot in a really blunt manner, his editing is generally pretty stiff and basic, and his background music choices are enormously frustrating.

For example, in a Donkey Kong video, I should not be hearing the Halo soundtrack (and I love the Halo soundtrack and was even listening to it a couple hours ago, so I'm only complaining because it's out of place). He does this all the time in other videos, too, sometimes with this same exact track as well. When you're working with games and series with famous music, you have so much music from that game to work with, let alone the entire series, but he seems to just have a pool of random tracks that he throws into videos sometimes even if it's from a completely different series. As someone who pays attention to soundtracks, it drives me up a wall.

EDIT: OH YEAH HIS METROID VIDEO DOESN'T HAVE A SINGLE METROID TRACK IN IT WTF

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Going off of DYKG, I'd recommend:

The Video Game Years - It's basically a VH1 take on retro gaming and is hosted by several notable Youtubers & industry figures. It's well produced, with each episode lasting around an hour. They cover 1977-1989. If you want to learn about gaming Pre-SMB, I'd recommend this highly. It's TV broadcast quality content.

Jeremy Parish - He's one of the main guys behind Retronauts and one of the leading gaming historians/preservationists. In depth coverage of individual titles, going in order of release. The videos are short (5~12 minutes) but he does a really good job of tracing the history of each genre, potential influences, as well as crediting designers and listing company history:
NES - 1985, 1986, currently on 1987
SNES - 1991, currently on 1992
Virtual Boy - Every Single Release, completed
Gameboy (EVERY SINGLE RELEASE NA/JP/PAL) - 1989, currently on 1990,
Also N64 & GBC to a lesser extent as well as the history of Metroidvanias & select JP only releases.

The Gaming Historian - Kind of a no brainer. If you can only watch one episode, definitely make it the Story of Tetris.
I legitimately have never watched any of these. Thank you so much, forreal. I'm about to have a hayday.
Oh I love that video. I actually think it's way better than any of Summoning Salt's videos. Summing Salt does an amazing job at researching all this stuff, compiling all the hours and hours of relevant footage, and editing it down into a solid video. But... as someone who's done a lot of video editing myself over the years, he falls short in a lot of other areas. He uses clip art a lot in a really blunt manner, his editing is generally pretty stiff and unengaging, and his background music choices are enormously frustrating.

For example, in a Donkey Kong video, I should not be hearing the Halo soundtrack. He does this all the time in other videos, too, sometimes with this same exact track as well. When you're working with games and series with famous music, you have so much music from that game to work with, let alone the entire series, but he seems to just have a pool of random tracks that he throws into videos sometimes even if it's from a completely different series. As someone who pays attention to soundtracks, it drives me up a wall.
One of my favorite things about AverageTrey's SMS video is that it includes a lot of great music from the GCN era. Really put me back in that time period and made the ride all the more enjoyable.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You guys really should consider putting spoilers into

spoilers

Not everyone wants to know this stuff in advance.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I legitimately have never watched any of these. Thank you so much, forreal. I'm about to have a hayday.
Should we tag you in a couple hours to see if you're okay? lol

I've been watching Jeremy Parish's videos for about the past year and I'm not even close to finishing. The earliest videos he's made cover 1989 Gameboy games. Prepare yourself for the sheer amount of mediocre puzzle games, arcade/PC conversations no one wanted, and bad licensed titles. Also why we should all worship the game Heiankyo Alien.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Your both missing something actually.

there is one new Pokémon show there, at least it seems that way. Look under galarian weezing. That’s some type of grass type, maybe a galarian:
shinx or litleo
eldegoss is that forgettable huh lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom