• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Socal Brawl Power Rankings - (February 3, 2010 - May 1, 2010) UPDATED

HugS™

Smash Lord
This list has really lost its meaning.

I don't know if it's the community's fault or the panel's fault, but it has lost its meaning.

**Havok**

Smash Lord
This list has really lost its meaning.

I don't know if it's the community's fault or the panel's fault, but it has lost its meaning.

It's a bit of both, the panel has a hard time doing anything with a community as sporadic as ours. So it's hard to rank people. :(

When people like hugs stop playing brawl :dizzy:

Or fiction

the list goes on.

So we do with what we have.

mio

Smash Ace
Maybe it's just me but it seems like that competitive fire that the Brawl community had for the first 1.5 years that it was out has died down in Socal... and has now transferred back to Melee

HugS™

Smash Lord
Alot of good people just don't play this game anymore! :) Fiction, Palmdale (except for CPU) and I just noticed that it's only top 10!
It just means that people have better things to do in their lives, or better games to play.
Maybe it's just me but it seems like that competitive fire that the Brawl community had for the first 1.5 years that it was out has died down in Socal... and has now transferred back to Melee
Well, all of this s*** is unacceptable for what was once arguably the best region in the united states/world in Brawl.

Bring that s*** back socal, I don't care how you all do it. Just do it.

Don't make me do another "Step it up" speech.

HugS™

Smash Lord
I honestly think these are the long term results of bad paneling.

Not entirely, of course. But it surely contributed.

Like when a new player needs to debut, which happens a lot in this game, allow him to debut amongst a list of elites, so that their debut can be measured and respectable. For example, say Dao needed to debut because he's been doing very well, and say Fiction has been doing kind of poorly, don't do the rankings as if everyone is starting fresh. Don't throw dao into 5th, and remove Fiction altogether. It should be a gradual process where Fiction drops slowly, and Dao slides up the list.

Even if Dao deserves fifth, it would mean more if fiction wasn't assumed to be less than top 10 worthy. If fiction was dropped to say 6th for his performance, then Dao's position would remain prestigious and the rest of the ranks would follow.

The argument is that some of these **** players just never show up to tournaments.
If this is a recurring problem in the community, then the criteria by which players are ranked need to reflect the trends in the community.
Lower your qualifications for what is considered to be active.

The goal for activity is to give the panel the ability to judge you relative to your competitors. If you never show up, then they can't rank you accurately. However, a player like Fiction was ranked previously. So, with the requirement for activity being as low as 1 tournament per period for a previously ranked player, you can rank him appropriately despite his single showing.

You move him relative to his old ranking and add prestige to the remainder of the list when you have a player as good Fiction within the ranks. All this without sacrificing accuracy, as I strongly believe that fiction did not really get worse by 9 spots.

If Fiction continues to not show up, then you risk having a once great player becoming continuously unable to represent his current rank.
However, that's still better than jumping the gun and ranking new players, only to swiftly drop them off the next period as if they never existed (Futile, Hall).

The former shows a decline in greatness of a player, the latter shows a decline in prestige for an entire community's rankings.

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think these are the long term results of bad paneling.

Not entirely, of course. But it surely contributed.

Like when a new player needs to debut, which happens a lot in this game, allow him to debut amongst a list of elites, so that their debut can be measured and respectable. For example, say Dao needed to debut because he's been doing very well, and say Fiction has been doing kind of poorly, don't do the rankings as if everyone is starting fresh. Don't throw dao into 5th, and remove Fiction altogether. It should be a gradual process where Fiction drops slowly, and Dao slides up the list.

Even if Dao deserves fifth, it would mean more if fiction wasn't assumed to be less than top 10 worthy. If fiction was dropped to say 6th for his performance, then Dao's position would remain prestigious and the rest of the ranks would follow.

The argument is that some of these **** players just never show up to tournaments.
If this is a recurring problem in the community, then the criteria by which players are ranked need to reflect the trends in the community.
Lower your qualifications for what is considered to be active.

The goal for activity is to give the panel the ability to judge you relative to your competitors. If you never show up, then they can't rank you accurately. However, a player like Fiction was ranked previously. So, with the requirement for activity being as low as 1 tournament per period for a previously ranked player, you can rank him appropriately despite his single showing.

You move him relative to his old ranking and add prestige to the remainder of the list when you have a player as good Fiction within the ranks. All this without sacrificing accuracy, as I strongly believe that fiction did not really get worse by 9 spots.

If Fiction continues to not show up, then you risk having a once great player becoming continuously unable to represent his current rank.
However, that's still better than jumping the gun and ranking new players, only to swiftly drop them off the next period as if they never existed (Futile, Hall).

The former shows a decline in greatness of a player, the latter shows a decline in prestige for an entire community's rankings.
I agree with most of what you're saying, and I've been mainly keeping to the standards you left me with. But with the example of fiction, we talked him over. He really DID get worse by 9 spots, and more. He lost most of his skill for brawl when he came to race's. I don't know if you got a chance to play him in brawl that day, but me and a lot of others did, and he's not the player he used to be. Everyone was ****** him pretty hard. We originally were going to leave him on there, but it's not reflective of his true skill, because he can't beat any of the players on our current weaker list, not even me.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
lol the player you may be on a certain date doesn't mean you are forever that player

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
(Tyrant on mike's account)

Hugo you should give these new kids a chance. Trust me, there not as bad as you think they are. We're getting a new wave of players because others left. This list is how socal is for now , as the tournys keep coming more potential, and more people getting better and better by the week.

Just sit back and watch huggies. We'll be ready for pound 4 soon.

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
Well, all of this s*** is unacceptable for what was once arguably the best region in the united states/world in Brawl.

Bring that s*** back socal, I don't care how you all do it. Just do it.

Don't make me do another "Step it up" speech.
I think a big problem that lies underneath is that this community has weird attendance records. From what I've noticed (correct me if I'm wrong) is that unlike Melee, Brawl has more younger players coming to tournaments. Being younger, a main obstacle in attendance is transportation. People ask for rides and are willing to go to several lengths to attend but the number of people who do respond are counted on one hand.

What that leaves us is a stagnant community of the same players (of similar ages) devoid of the diversity Brawl started with, and a generation of players who may get bored and move on to better things.

TKD

Smash Lord
I agree with HugS. Below top 4 there's no prestige. You guys should have canceled the rankings for a bit, until at least a structure is shown.

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
all i noticed is what hugo said and that this list is a short-term list as far as the players on it. Im not saying its wrong or right, but it the drop from 15 to 10 as well as the ppl suddenly dropped and added to it is a bit extreme.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
i like tkd's use of the word "prestige"

how the **** am i ranked with ice climbers i had only been playing for like a month and had like 1-2 "good wins" (i'm not saying that just to be a *****)

it either says something about the rankings or that socal brawl is really terrible

i think it's a little of both

RichBrown

Smash Master
Who else would you all recommend to be ranked instead of this list? Aren't these the people that (for the most part) are placing pretty high when they attend tournaments? Aren't these the people that have gotten wins off our top 4?

Everyone agrees that our top 4 of Tyrant, Larry, Mike, and Havok are amazing

Dao sometimes but he's really inconsistent

AC, Mojoe, and CPU all have trouble traveling

typh and I rarely travel out of so cal

Because we had so many people quit, the list just isn't as scary as it used to be. This list was flatout frightening when it had BoA, Teba, Leepuff, and Fiction on it, along with others. We also had DSF leave, although he seems to be back for the time being. That right there is 5 really strong names, and if they all had kept playing/placing like they were in their prime they'd probably still be the ones ranked below our current top 4.

The players are ranked appropriately. It's just the skill level has dropped. It's up to the 5-10 players to get better and help bridge that gap so that So Cal PR will look like a top 10 instead of a top 4/everyone else.

RichBrown

Smash Master
I've been placing really well this period, except I got ****ed up 2 weeks ago >.< Haven't placed below 5th though at every other tourney I've been to this period

Rockan

Smash Apprentice
socal isn't suffering that bad... we lost palmdale, fiction, and tkd's metaknight, pretty bad loses but socal has good players coming around commander beef, brent, stauffy, cammaman, m7h, inspire, itswillyo, we have talented players that are not ranked

Top Bottom