• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U So yeah. I'm not impressed by Smash Wii U. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
In Melee, everything is low risk high reward leading to players freely throwing out attacks to fish damage (hence "aggressive play")
Sorry, but if this is your understanding of how Smash is played competitively, I'd keep my speculation down to technical aspects and stay away from talking about the metagame. Let's wait for the established players to comment on their tournament experience for that.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
I sincerely hope PeachyHime gave some genuinely constructive feedback to these guys before she did that, because that's a really **** move.

Of course, the main concern of everyone is that Sakurai will shoot down any chances of changing the game for the better, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't bother trying. With Brawl, the online was unplayable, but a good online element means the game has to be monitored and fine-tuned more often. We should put forth some feedback in a calm and mature manner, and if it gets nowhere? Whatever, at least we tried. Better than posting in a few hours after playing a beta that the game has "no hope".

Fortress

Smash Master
Warning Received
WHY IS THERE NO FUN ALLOWED HERE THERE'S A NEW SMASH GAME AND WE ALL LIKE SMASH AND DID YOU SEE MEGAMAN'S COOL-ASS FINAL SMASH COME ON DON'T YOU LIE IT WAS PRETTY ****ING NEAT-O.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
If you don't have anything constructive to say, how do provide constructive criticism. You make it seem like there is absolutely no way a player can play this game and be genuinely disappointed with its development, and where its going, for legitimate reasons.
I actually just expect people to not be idiots. They are taking feedback right there at E3! Instead of just saying the game sucks say WHY. What game features didn't she enjoy, was there a mechanic that was weird, things like that. You could hate every single thing about the game but just saying that DOES NO GOOD AT ALL plus it's honestly just rude. Other players who were there have said that they gave feedback on certain mechanics and have been honest about the game without being jerks. She is perfectly capable of doing the same and instead just dismissed the game entirely.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I actually just expect people to not be idiots. They are taking feedback right there at E3! Instead of just saying the game sucks say WHY. What game features didn't she enjoy, was there a mechanic that was weird, things like that. You could hate every single thing about the game but just saying that DOES NO GOOD AT ALL plus it's honestly just rude. Other players who were there have said that they gave feedback on certain mechanics and have been honest about the game without being jerks. She is perfectly capable of doing the same and instead just dismissed the game entirely.
Come on Capps. Let's be real here. I could easily go off the handle and sound like a total asshole if you want to see what's unnecessary criticism here. I don't see anything wrong with what she said. I see her giving her honest two cents for people who are interested, considering most people are, and she was one of the first people to have the opportunity to play.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Come on Capps. Let's be real here. I could easily go off the handle and sound like a total ******* if you want to see what's unnecessary criticism here. I don't see anything wrong with what she said. I see her giving her honest two cents from people who are interested, considering most people are, and she was one of the first people to have the opportunity to play.
I am being honest, just because she could have been worse doesn't make what she did any better. Just saying "I'm just going to play PM" without explaining WHY doesn't help anyone trying to learn about if they like the game, and again she didn't even mention why she wasn't excited, just called the game hopeless. She could have had some tact like others have at a bare minimum, and people acting like this makes us all look bad.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
tbh, as long as online is playable I'll be happy.

I'd like it to be more of its own game though, felt a bit too much like Brawl when looking at it - and I loved Brawl as well.

I think making the game less floaty is a good place to start.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I am being honest, just because she could have been worse doesn't make what she did any better. Just saying "I'm just going to play PM" without explaining WHY doesn't help anyone trying to learn about if they like the game, and again she didn't even mention why she wasn't excited, just called the game hopeless. She could have had some tact like others have at a bare minimum, and people acting like this makes us all look bad.
It's Twitter, man. You don't monologue a novel about why you don't like a game on Twitter.

I'm sure if she had criticisms, she either passed it on to the people who were looking for advice and opinions, or passed it on to the ones who were giving it, like I expect Ken, KDJ, PP, Hungrybox, and the others to be doing.

Last edited:

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
Just quoting what my friend said which I feel a lot of us are on the same page with:

"It's better then brawl at the very least. If you read some of the q/a from sakurai, hes trying to make the game balanced. The game doesn't need l-cancelling, it just needs a fast pace and a meta that wont entirely reward only safe play."

That last part really hits home.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
It's Twitter, man. You don't monologue a novel about why you don't like a game on Twitter.

I'm sure if she had criticisms, she either passed it on to the people who were looking for advice and opinions, or passed it on to the ones who were giving it, like I expect Ken, KDJ, PP, Hungrybox, and the others to be doing.
Well it is facebook so if you're mentioning the character limit here, it's kinda a null point. See, if she was doing what the others were doing she'd be posting her actual full out thoughts for people to see (like a lot of the invitational folks are doing). That little facebook bit of hers is already on other parts of the net and people are saying how disrespectful it was. Nintendo gave us something HUGE and seeing someone's rudeness towards that is saddening.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Well it is facebook so if you're mentioning the character limit here, it's kinda a null point. See, if she was doing what the others were doing she'd be posting her actual full out thoughts for people to see (like a lot of the invitational folks are doing). That little facebook bit of hers is already on other parts of the net and people are saying how disrespectful it was. Nintendo gave us something HUGE and seeing someone's rudeness towards that is saddening.
Oh, I thought it was Twitter.

Anyway, I still don't see it as rude. I mean, I agree with her, mostly. I think Project M will be fine, but players like her and many others were not looking for a Brawl remake. They were looking for the next new game that hopefully breathed some vitality in to Smash as a competitive title, even if it wasn't representing of Melee, and a Brawl repeat wasn't really the answer to that. Not in the long term. It's a new game, so it's going to have it's run, but it's just going to be like a sugar rush and the crash will happen eventually.

There's not an easier way to say that, and sometimes harsh truth is the best medicine. Not that it was even harsh. That's my take.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Someone who was given the opportunity to participate in what they did, going to social media to disown (and considering all the other circumstances; timing and means/etc) it is a little bit of a faux pas IMO... Arr well.

At the very least moves seem to kill and if the way grabs exist are the standard, there isn't going to be any chain grabs! hooray.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice

It doesn't take much to fix this kind of thing up, Ulevo. It only took me about 3 sentences to both say that PASBR was going to be **** and why that is. Just saying it sucks is non-constructive. There are people in this thread that have given a better explanation as to why they don't like it with the same amount of text. There's really no good excuse for her behaviour.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Someone who was given the opportunity to participate in what they did, going to social media to disown (and considering all the other circumstances; timing and means/etc) it is a little bit of a faux pas IMO... Arr well.

At the very least moves seem to kill and if the way grabs exist are the standard, there isn't going to be any chain grabs! hooray.
I liked chain grabs, personally. Obviously not the abuse cases, like D3 infinites. Brawls were problematic because you couldn't DI a lot of them, and on Final Destination they're a pain. But they're cool otherwise.

It doesn't take much to fix this kind of thing up, Ulevo. It only took me about 3 sentences to both say that PASBR was going to be **** and why that is. Just saying it sucks is non-constructive. There are people in this thread that have given a better explanation as to why they don't like it with the same amount of text. There's really no good excuse for her behaviour.
It is a fair point that she hasn't made her own piece on why she feels the way she does. Maybe she'll do it later, I won't count on it.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Oh, I thought it was Twitter.

Anyway, I still don't see it as rude. I mean, I agree with her, mostly. I think Project M will be fine, but players like her and many others were not looking for a Brawl remake. They were looking for the next new game that hopefully breathed some vitality in to Smash as a competitive title, even if it wasn't representing of Melee, and a Brawl repeat wasn't really the answer to that. Not in the long term. It's a new game, so it's going to have it's run, but it's just going to be like a sugar rush and the crash will happen eventually.

There's not an easier way to say that, and sometimes harsh truth is the best medicine. Not that it was even harsh. That's my take.
She's saying a game still in beta where she hasn't even experienced all of the features of has no hope. That's a tad harsh and preemptive to me, plus she's making that kind of statement with probably less then a day of gameplay.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow to try it for myself, and I plan on confirming what certain mechanics have been brought back or neglected, but thus far I'm not seeing a significant improvement in terms of core mechanics.
I'd like to hear you thoughts when you get back. I also feel like this is leaning more towards Brawl than I'd like, but I won't know if that makes this game necessarily "bad" until I understand the proper way to play, which takes time.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
This leaves a sour taste in my mouth as well. Disheartening to read. I'm not saying we should all be fanboying Nintendo but come on. I'd killed for that chance (not that I earn it but).

Niala

Smash Ace
"I wish people would continue to play the game you didn't make based off the game you did make because I think it's better. This new game seems hopeless for competitive value after playing it. Plus, I suspect you'll all act like devils once releasing it and make an effort to eviscerate the fangame.

I better go play it while I can."

Everything in her quote can be read as a direct insult to the people who just gave her the opportunity of a lifetime. It's incredibly rude and not constructive.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
It is a fair point that she hasn't made her own piece on why she feels the way she does. Maybe she'll do it later, I won't count on it.
I'd like to hear you thoughts when you get back. I also feel like this is leaning more towards Brawl than I'd like, but I won't know if that makes this game necessarily "bad" until I understand the proper way to play, which takes time.
I think I'm going to go now, actually. See if I can get to play it early. I might know some people there who are running the gig. I'm going to test and validate the list I posted earlier if time permits me to do so. If there's anything not on that list I missed that's worth trying out, just post it and I'll check.

Fortress

Smash Master
"I wish people would continue to play the game you didn't make based off the game you did make because I think it's better. This new game seems hopeless for competitive value after playing it. Plus, I suspect you'll all act like devils once releasing it and make an effort to eviscerate the fangame.

I better go play it while I can."

Everything in her quote can be read as a direct insult to the people who just gave her the opportunity of a lifetime. It's incredibly rude and not constructive.
Not unfair to say though, she can have an opinion on it. 'This new game seems competitively hopeless after trying' is fair enough if that's what her experience leads her to believe. A lot of people are thinking what she said, she just happened to be the person to say it. No reason to string her up for it. If we do it on here and give some reason, we get called out for "wanting to add elitist tech to the game".

Heefe

Smash Apprentice
Looks like Brawl to me and felt like Brawl... it was almost like I watched a Brawl match on Twitch and I didn't like it. Too bad, maybe something will be changed in the end but i doubt it. Melee will live on forever!

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
Not unfair to say though, she can have an opinion on it. 'This new game seems competitively hopeless after trying' is fair enough if that's what her experience leads her to believe. A lot of people are thinking what she said, she just happened to be the person to say it. No reason to string her up for it. If we do it on here and give some reason, we get called out for "wanting to add elitist tech to the game".
It's not that she didn't like the game that's the bad part, in my opinion. It's that she provided absolutely nothing of discernable value to people who might be listening to her feedback - just said that it's hopeless and that Nintendo will probably be the killjoy that removes Project M.

People in here that have said, "lol not melee no wavedashing or l-cancelling" have provided more constructive information than she did, even if it's not entirely relevant to the developer's interests. Her response provides nothing at all.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I'm sure if it was possible she gave feedback. I'll try to stay netural until release.[/quote
i am more upset that she played it for a few hours and said there is no hope about a pre-release build, which to me is stupid af

Fortress

Smash Master
It's not that she didn't like the game that's the bad part, in my opinion. It's that she provided absolutely nothing of discernable value to people who might be listening to her feedback - just said that it's hopeless and that Nintendo will probably be the killjoy that removes Project M.

People in here that have said, "lol not melee no wavedashing or l-cancelling" have provided more constructive information than she did, even if it's not entirely relevant to the developer's interests. Her response provides nothing at all.
And if she did provide any sort of reason for it? Would it really have mattered that much? Half the community would shout her down for being a 'Melee elitist' only interested in 'making the game harder to control' or something other. She could've said something simple, could've said something complicated, but would it really matter that much? We're here right now reflecting on anything she could've said anyway, so no harm, no foul.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If possible (the alternative being a closed thread and mailbox tsunamis, mind you), could we steer the thread away from "melee vs brawl vs project m vs smash 4"; without any substance one liners? And other ****-talking of similar rhetoric? Thanks~

Mostly fine with how things are (at least as much as 2am shaya can comprehend) right now, but I've been around the block, I know where this stuff goes unabated. Fear me.

Last edited:

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
I hate to say it, but I went from feeling increadibly hyped about this game before seeing the tourney, to being quite vary about the game. Upon reading comments that ground mobility and landing lag has been made even worse than before, my hype deflated even further. I was probably gonna buy a Wii U this winter for this game, but I think I can wait at this point. I hope I'll be proven wrong in due time. At least my wallet can breath a sigh of relief.

It's a screen cap of a casual facebook post, not a personal message to smash's design team. Your expectations for her are frankly ridiculous

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
I don't think it's unreasonable for her to have said it, don't get me wrong. If that's what she thinks, good for her. She could have just said it in a way that wasn't so downright insulting. And, to be rude in my own part, I see no reason not to string her up for it. Hell, until yesterday, I didn't even know who she was, and honestly I don't particularly care. If she's going to be an ass about something, I see no reason not to call her out on it. From the safety of my computer on a smash website where she is not present. :)

EDIT: Sorry didn't see mod message until after posting.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
If possible (the alternative being a closed thread and mailbox tsunamis, mind you), could we steer the thread away from "melee vs brawl vs project m vs smash 4"; without any substance one liners? And other ****-talking of similar rhetoric? Thanks~
You're no fun anymore.

But, to repeat and tl;dr: anything that Peachy could've said earlier is being discussed here. Would not have mattered what she did say, some huge part of the community would've shot it down, said why, and moved onto something else. Which is what we're sort of doing.

I don't think it's unreasonable for her to have said it, don't get me wrong. If that's what she thinks, good for her. She could have just said it in a way that wasn't so downright insulting. And, to be rude in my own part, I see no reason not to string her up for it. Hell, until yesterday, I didn't even know who she was, and honestly I don't particularly care. If she's going to be an *** about something, I see no reason not to call her out on it. From the safety of my computer on a smash website where she is not present. :)
Is it any more insulting than half of the things half of the people here have said? Really, anything she could've said or done, we've said or are doing. I'm totally fine with her being the one to step up and voice some kind of disappointment. It's unfair to expect some kind of reason out of an opinion since half of us would just **** on it anyway.

It's a screen cap of a casual facebook post, not a personal message to smash's design team. Your expectations for her are frankly ridiculous
THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS GUY.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Warning Received
Melee kids not impressed? Well, I for one am shocked. :150:

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
And if she did provide any sort of reason for it? Would it really have mattered that much? Half the community would shout her down for being a 'Melee elitist' only interested in 'making the game harder to control' or something other. She could've said something simple, could've said something complicated, but would it really matter that much? We're here right now reflecting on anything she could've said anyway, so no harm, no foul.
Yes, it would be infinitely more helpful than just providing nothing at all, and she was in a unique position to comment about it because a ton of people just watched her participate in the first publicised tournament.

It doesn't take a PhD for her to say why she didn't like it. I think it's safe to say that most people who offer a disagreement naturally follow it up with a small reason. Why is this so bloody difficult? I've provided better feedback with a few seconds of thought than she did.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
Yes, it would be infinitely more helpful than just providing nothing at all, and she was in a unique position to comment about it because a ton of people just watched her participate in the first publicised tournament.

It doesn't take a PhD for her to say why she didn't like it. I think it's safe to say that most people who offer a disagreement naturally follow it up with a small reason. Why is this so bloody difficult? I've provided better feedback with a few seconds of thought than she did.
Like I said, nothing she could say then or now that you, I, or some other person wasn't already thinking or had talked about on here.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Yo. If you're going to get my thread closed, at least do it after the Best Buy Smashfests are over.

Can someone help me. It's been a while since I've played Brawl and don't recall all the frame data. Can people give me attacks to test on shield that have varying frames? Ones with small, medium, and long recovery times? I want to see how safe/unsafe shields are.

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
Gotta love how if you don't enjoy brawl your elitist and people always compare it to chess lol . There is still time for the game to change.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I for one was impressed. It looks fun, there seems to be more than 7 characters that are good, and it looks beautiful. Yeah, the game could use some mechanic alterations, but calling it garbage for being simpler is madness.

I have no doubt the game will change in some form by release.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
Then let's give an example, shall we? I watched the early video of PSABR when it came out, and I said, "I don't think this game will work. Over-reliance on Final Smash-esque attacks means you will kill everyone in only three different ways every time and makes the gameplay boring."

Was that hard? Less time spent on it than her, exponentially more valuable.

ThomasTheTrain

Smash Cadet
i am more upset that she played it for a few hours and said there is no hope about a pre-release build, which to me is stupid af
I guess it's bad to be that definitive about the final product. But even if she said that in the game's current incarnation it seems hopeless she'd probably get hate.

I got to play the game a bit more today, and i'd say it can probably work, just hit lag is obnoxious on some of the old moves, and the moves that can combo into each other seems kind of limited so it feels almost as if there are predetermined combos and other chains of moves have enough time for people to recover. And i still think zoning is very strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom