• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U So yeah. I'm not impressed by Smash Wii U. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure how they can design CF. His entire design philosophy was speed, flashy movement, and hype combos. He didn't really belong in Brawl and I don't see how he's going to play in Smash 4 unless people are satisfied that he might get an auto-canceled Uair to Uair occasionally.
I know. I just don't want him to be as slow-ass and weak as before :( If he had more of ZSS's speed, I think that would help a great deal. He just felt so big and clunky in Brawl and the damage you gave seemed so inconsequential, which was completely the opposite of what he was before. At least in Melee you knew that your attacks were felt by your opponent. Maybe I'm just still wearing rose-coloured glasses on the subject...

Last edited:

Doser

Smash Ace
are you a smash bros fan or a melee fan?
did you want a new smash bros, or to play melee?
did you want to support smash bros, or melee?
This is such stupid rhetoric. Why should anyone have blind love for a series as you are suggesting? People should play games they enjoy, not act like they are beholden to supporting every game with Smash in the title just for the sake of supporting "Smash Bros." whatever that means.

this is a new game. treat it as a new game. don't hold it up to brawl or melee
Ah yes, the fact that it's new means it cannot be compared or scrutinized, in fact all we should do is jump for joy at the fact that there is software with Smash in the title! The only way to judge the quality of anything is to compare it to what is already around. It's unreasonable to think that Smash 4 is somehow above comparisons to highly similar games.

there is a reason the fgc thinks we're a joke and spoilers it's not just because "smash isn't a fighting game" it's bc the community is segregated, divided, whiny, entitled, and doesn't understand that they aren't the only people who play the game
Pretending to enjoy games to appease random people in fgc streams is not something I am willing to do, nor do I think it would actually stop any criticism we receive.

we are never getting another melee. sakurai was very clear when he said smash is a party game first. so, do not look at brawl, ssb4, ssb5, ssb6, etc. and look for melee in them. pull out your melee disk and play that. pull out your wii and play project m. leave this thread. leave the ssb4 section. come back after u calm down. get excited over the new game with new mechanics and game!!!cube!!!!controllers!!!! and boobs!!!! and goodish online mode!!!! a new uncharted ground! we can develop a whole new metagame! we have fast gameplay! some combos but not 0-deaths! it's still going to be a better game than brawl.

and for those of you brawl players that have a problem with ssb4...and play brawl... i don't understand please seek professional assistance
No one is saying they want a carbon copy of Melee, why can't you guys understand this? Just because people are not happy with brawl-eque titles does not mean they are worshiping Melee.

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The true core of what made Melee so much more exciting than Brawl is that it encouraged and rewarded offensive play as long as you were smart about it. Of course it also allowed for defensive play, but the problem with Brawl was that it just out and out punished offensive styles of play because of the minimal risk reward factor of aggressive approaches.

Smash 4 seemed to be going in the same direction in that GF, and that is why people are bothered. That hyper defensive playstyle has very little pace, fluidity, and excitement. That's the main reason people are bugged by it, and honestly it would only take tweaks to completely change the dynamic.

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I personally think there will be some form of edgeguarding, but different.
As we see, getting to the edge gets incredibly easy but playing from it gets harder (no invincibility refreshing and so on). Edgeguarding will be fought out in a way that you give them the ledge and then cover their options and eventually hit them on the ledge to get the KO

Reoyoshi8

Smash Apprentice
looks like the demo is using a modified version of brawls engine just like how brawl's demo used a modified melee's engine.
I'm gonna need to see the final product seeing how brawl ended up being to properly judge.
...I totally forgot about that.

janoDX

Smash Rookie
The true core of what made Melee so much more exciting than Brawl is that it encouraged and rewarded offensive play as long as you were smart about it. Of course it also allowed for defensive play, but the problem with Brawl was that it just out and out punished offensive styles of play because of the minimal risk reward factor of aggressive approaches.

Smash 4 seemed to be going in the same direction in that GF, and that is why people are bothered. That hyper defensive playstyle has very little pace, fluidity, and excitement. That's the main reason people are bugged by it, and honestly it would only take tweaks to completely change the dynamic.

Actually PewPewU said that it only needed a little fix on the pace and the game would be great. I think speed up a little the game (Like Marvel 3 got "fixed" with the speed on the betas) to make it up for the lack of wavedashing or dash dancing.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
See as how this isn't the final product you probably shouldn't judge. I remember that Brawl was a lot closer to Melee in the demo days.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Actually PewPewU said that it only needed a little fix on the pace and the game would be great. I think speed up a little the game (Like Marvel 3 got "fixed" with the speed on the betas) to make it up for the lack of wavedashing or dash dancing.
It's not about speed per se, there are problems like lots of landing lag/cooldown lag on moves that decrease the pace of the game and limit followups. It's not just about movement and fall speed, and this isn't Marvel, we're dealing with Sakurai here.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I'm disappointed that I'm probably not going to enjoy this game. The visuals look great, and I'm very interested in quite a few of the newcomers (Villager, Mac, Pac)... But the gameplay looks very similar to Brawl. If that's the case, I'll end up playing the game for a week and then never touch it again, which doesn't really make buying a Wii U worth it to me.

Hopefully this doesn't represent the final product and the criticism the invitational players gave doesn't fall on deaf ears.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Comparing the way different people react to the prospect of a "Melee 2.0" and a "Brawl 2.0" is entertaining.

-Whiplash-

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silva-Silva
3DS FC
4527-7465-9250
Comparing the way different people react to the prospect of a "Melee 2.0" and a "Brawl 2.0" is entertaining.
I like how wanting a "Melee 2.0" is considered terrible and being greedy, but being okay with a "Brawl 2.0" is considered a good thing.

I bet you if this game actually did turn out to be a "melee 2.0" no one would be complaining. or, more likely, everyone would just find something stupid to complain about instead. like "Aw man they brought back wave dashing?"

Last edited:

Psycoms

Smash Rookie
I like how wanting a "Melee 2.0" is considered terrible and being greedy, but being okay with a "Brawl 2.0" is considered a good thing.

I bet you if this game actually did turn out to be a "melee 2.0" no one would be complaining. or, more likely, everyone would just find something stupid to complain about instead. like "Aw man they brought back wave dashing?"
im a very very long time lurker but all this debate has got me and my friends laughing so hard we have tears man. this is great. no matter WHAT nintendo does with this game they will get hated on. if not by this community but by others. i mean this is great, i needed this laugh. we are gonna get it and enjoy our asses off. and if we hate it we hate it, but damn peeps, you guys are one serious bunch. you see the ONLY thing im worried about at this point is online for when i play other people besides my friends or leaving the state

regardless you guys keep this up its interesting and funny and keeps me entertained and both sides bring up great points! just hope that all this speculation dosnt blind you from actually having fun =)

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Oh trust me, there would still be complaining. That wouldn't change.
People could still find things to complain about. It wouldn't matter whether it was Melee 2.0 and Brawl 2.0. If Wavedashing was back, you'd have people complaining it's not as good, that it's not "perfect" in their eyes. You could use L-Canceling, DACUS, or even just gameplay in general. It would all still fit.

You'd still have the haters, the fans, and everyone caught in-between the mess. You could make it the greatest Smash game possible, and people still hate it. Why? Because people are picky. They always have to find something to snap at.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
just played the demo. tl;dr this game is good, shut up.
So did I. Played it at the Nintendo World Store, with friends (one other competitive player and 4 casual players. KEEP THAT IN MIND).

I love Brawl to death. I have over 2000 hours logged in to Brawl. I also love Melee, and Project M. I have never played 64, but its fun to watch IMO.

The game lacks
-SDI
-Glide Tossing
-DACUS
-L-Cancelling
-Dash Dancing
-Wavedashing
-Moonwalking

The game DOES have
-Slide Smashing
-Stutter Step Fsmashing

Things I forgot to test
-Up B OoS
-Jump cancelled grabs
-DI (heard Chibo say it was wonky and weird)

Combo system
There is hitstun. Yes there is. Problem is, the game is slow paced like Brawl and rewards defensive play. I guess by speed Sakurai thought make the characters run faster. They are floaty. The gravity level is comparable to Brawl, if not floatier IMO. The aerials are laggy when landed near the ground (and have tons of aerial ending lag too, so autocancelling isn't as good anymore, so characters like Samus who relied on autocancels in Brawl will suffer) so there is no way to truly follow up aerial combos. Grabs are useless too. None of them actually combo into tilts/aerials/smashes/specials. The only combo I was able to pull off was Mega Man's up air into Rush Coil (IDK if the dog has a hitbox, but the jump done be Mega Man lacks a hitbox, but it sends him high) into another up air. Landed on a platform as well after the second up air, so I could probably have followed up with something else, maybe an up air or a fair. Did it twice too on the Colliseum stage. And since there is NO SDI, you can't avoid it. In Brawl, Mega Man's up air would have been a whack move. EASY to SDI. This game its ridiculous. It did like 15-17%. See? The game is dumbed down technically and strategically. You don't have to do as many reads anymore to combo. All of these people are saying "blah blah strategy and mental skill not button mashers", but with the lack of SDI and *unreliable* DI, it basically becomes a button mash fest. DI is weird too. And going back to combos, Marth can't even fair into double jump fair. Marth, a character in Melee known for his excellent combo game (and even to an extent in Brawl where he could double fair into Dancing Blade Upward Variant into up smash if you read the attack/airdodge at low percentages). My competitive friend was using Greninja and he said that Greninja just ran fast and moved through the air quickly (indicating excellent mobility, so Sakurai had no clue on how to make the GAME faster), but when ever he tried to go for combos, they would fly too far, even at low percentages.

Neutral Games
There is NO safe way to approach the opponent that doesn't get punished hard. Not even short hopping aerials are safe, considering most are now even safe on shield anymore, and are laggy when SHFF'd. And auto cancelled aerials are not a good way to approach. This game is super floaty, so it leaves you open. And even then, autocancelling is less effective than it is in Brawl.

Defensive Game
This game REWARDS defense more than Brawl as far as I could tell, since there are a lot more zone heavy characters now (Greninja to an extent, Rosalina, Mega Man, Palutena (likely, she wasn't playable in the Nintendo World demo, but her hitboxes are huge and mostly disjointed). And with no safe ways to approach, this game will be camping hell. There was this girl who was in my group who was using Mega Man and she camped the entire 3 matches we got to play and won all of them. Now I wasn't really focused on actually attacking people. I was testing for stuff. But considering she was able to successfully zone out TWO people at once, that should say a lot about the floatiness of this game. Mega Man will be a dominant force in this game unless Sakurai decides to increase mobility options and increase the gravity for falling speeds.

Good things: They asked me for feedback. I told them implement more mobility options like dash dancing, make aerials less laggy in the air, and when SHFF'd, either decrease landing lag, or add L-Cancelling back in. And I also said increase hitstun for more exciting combos.

Random: I met Gunblade there, a Brawl commentator/Brawl, Melee, and PM player. He's a super cool dude.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I don't know about you, but I saw a lot of follow up opportunities on auto cancelled attacks, as well as the hitstun overall being...present. No, it doesn't have L cancelling, but to be honest that was never coming back anyways. I think the game looked good, and most importantly, it looked fun to play. I have no qualms with the direction this game has gone.
Yeah people suck at Early Aerials/Autocancels https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeLklmmYyNk

Even a lot of half decent Brawl players, which is surprising cus of how effective it is in that game especially with the buffer aerials during jumpsquat.

Last edited:

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
Not to argue over semantics, but rock paper scissors is exactly what we need. Unfortunately, we don't have that. 64, Melee, and PM (and most well-made fighters in existence) are essentially rock-paper-scissors. In the case of Smash, Scissors (Grab) punishes Paper (Shielding) which protects against Rock (standard attacks).

From what we've seen and from what the invitational players have reported, the end lag after throwing a grabbed character is too long for follow-ups or combos, which makes the scissors (grabbing) mostly useless, disrupting that rock-paper-scissors dynamic.
I really like your analogy here. it reminds me of that smash game where there were some commentators talking about how the melee match they were spectating could be compared to chess with people opting for different strategies, some better in long run others run a sprint.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Don't forget, Brawl had a Melee engine before, this game may have a Brawl engine now to change later. Tough good write up for sure

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
You know?

I had a rant all set up. I was reading all 10 (at the point of writing this) pages of this thread, and the more I read, the harder my jimmies became rustled.

Then...I just gave up.

There's no point. This s**t happened during the age of Melee - Brawl when I first joined this as a fresh-faced gamer. The vitrol, the hatred, the complaining of the lack of "UBER1337TEXZ", everything. The poison seeped into the community as a whole and I, having grown sick of it, left after Brawl emerged. I didn't want to be part of the community anymore because of the hatred. I came back once Sm4sh was released, hyped once more. A new smash game! This will be awesome! And for a while, others shared my hype. Others shared the positive aspects of a game coming out. Those who held poison though, continued to spit their bile even in threads where others praised what was to be an exciting game. I tried to convince them other wise, but that didn't help. I tried ignoring them, but they were everywhere. I tried to even compromise, asking them not to complain about a game that wasn't out yet, but my pleas fell on deaf ears as those who hated Brawl with a furious passion continued to shout their hatred to the heavens.

And it's happening again.

The game isn't even out yet. There's no finished product. And simply because it doesn't mirror Melee's extremely and uncomfortably fast paced fighting style, the new game is already horrible.

So I'm done. Once Sm4sh comes out, I, like probably quite a few others will simply vanish back to our lives, never darkening the doorsteps of Smashboards again for fear of being constantly reminded of how a game we like is being hated on with such passion simply because it is easier, a word which I believe is a synonym for "utter s**t" amongst the more competitive community. Hell, I might not even post any more. So go ahead. Hate the game. You win. Obsess over every detail of why it doesn't match up to Project M or Melee before the game even comes out.

Because I'm done.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I love it, more excited than ever. I like how grabbing onto ledges is, especially with no more edgehogging. The speed of the game and everything else also looks good.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Yeah I'm just going to ask this: Did everyone, EVERYONE want some sort of melee engine for this game? I mean certainly there are people here who prefer brawl's engine than Melee's right? I like brawl, and it's sort of fast actually if you go as competitive as possible. Maybe people liked the more simplified version of smash bros. Also, don't we want more balanced smash bros as well? BOTH brawl and melee both had some balancing issues, since everyone in brawl always picked Meta Knight, Ice Climbers and such, and everyone in melee picked fox, falco, marth, c. falcon, and such. Wasn't there this whole joke about "FD, Fox only, no items"?

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
It's about time people realize you will NEVER get another Melee. Mostly all of the competitive techniques from Melee were gliches and not designed to be (L-cancelling was legit). You can stay here and continue to complain about things that will not change, i will just enjoy the game. Let me say i don't miss mechanics requiring awkward and unrelated button input, to execute moves that look plainly weird.
My point is you can stay and complain, and that will not accomplish anything, or just enjoy the game. It's not Melee, it never will be Melee again. If you hate the style so much, just go play something else, and please stop complaining all the time, its getting ridiculous.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
id also like to say that there is a chance that we wont know all the mechanics of the game for a while after launch, i mean correct me if im wrong but i dont remember everyone wavedashing day 1 on melee, i think there should be time put into the game before writing it of as less competeive without knowing it inside and out

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Yeah I'm just going to ask this: Did everyone, EVERYONE want some sort of melee engine for this game? I mean certainly there are people here who prefer brawl's engine than Melee's right? I like brawl, and it's sort of fast actually if you go as competitive as possible. Maybe people liked the more simplified version of smash bros. Also, don't we want more balanced smash bros as well? BOTH brawl and melee both had some balancing issues, since everyone in brawl always picked Meta Knight, Ice Climbers and such, and everyone in melee picked fox, falco, marth, c. falcon, and such. Wasn't there this whole joke about "FD, Fox only, no items"?
aMSa-Yoshi
Taj-Mewtwo
Gimpyfish-Bowser
Neo-Roy

aMSa in particular is extremely good. I think he could hold his own vs. Armada/M2K/Mango/PP/Hbox

In Brawl?
Boss-(Mario bros)
Mekos-Lucas
Vermanubis-Ganondorf
Nairo-Zelda

Put any of these vs top players (Ally, ADHD, M2K, ZeRo, Otori, etc) and they will get 2-3 stocked. Not because they're bad players. Because Brawl is wayyy more unbalanced.

I wanted a Melee engine or something similar (BUT NOT IDENTICAL TO MELEE'S ENGINE). I just wanted a few of Melee techs and Brawl techs meshed together in a new game that had new techs as well. Or at least, a new engine, not the Brawl engine modified. I wanted a new experience, not Melee 2.0 or a Brawl 2.0 and this game gives me Brawl 2.0. I would be upset if this game was Melee 2.0.

-Whiplash-

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silva-Silva
3DS FC
4527-7465-9250
Yeah I'm just going to ask this: Did everyone, EVERYONE want some sort of melee engine for this game? I mean certainly there are people here who prefer brawl's engine than Melee's right? I like brawl, and it's sort of fast actually if you go as competitive as possible. Maybe people liked the more simplified version of smash bros. Also, don't we want more balanced smash bros as well?
Be honest, would you have cared if they hadn't have changed the physics from melee to brawl?

BOTH brawl and melee both had some balancing issues, since everyone in brawl always picked Meta Knight, Ice Climbers and such, and everyone in melee picked fox, falco, marth, c. falcon, and such. Wasn't there this whole joke about "FD, Fox only, no items"?
The issue for many people isn't balance, (Which is something that REALLY, REALLY, needs to be addressed more by sakurai in smash then it has due to him refusing to get actual professional to help him balance the game). You'd have to be delusional to say that Melee was balanced, but it was more balanced then brawl, you even proved it in your post by mentioning more characters that people played in melee then the amount of characters you listed for brawl.

That's why I don't understand the whole "Casual gamers liked brawl more!" Truth is, REAL Casual gamers, I.E. not the guys that post on smash board. don't care about the the physics or balance, they care about the characters, and stages, they play the game as a party game. This is why I don't understand Sakurai's "The game needs to be fun for everyone" Logic, Making the game balanced and fast for a competitive environment doesn't mean casual players won't have fun also, they won't care, they don't care if you don't do that either.

I wanted a Melee engine or something similar (BUT NOT IDENTICAL TO MELEE'S ENGINE). I just wanted a few of Melee techs and Brawl techs meshed together in a new game that had new techs as well. Or at least, a new engine, not the Brawl engine modified. I wanted a new experience, not Melee 2.0 or a Brawl 2.0 and this game gives me Brawl 2.0. I would be upset if this game was Melee 2.0.
I agree 100%.

Last edited:

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Smash's community has nothing to do with the FGC saying 'Smash isn't a fighting game" and everything to do with Smash not being a spiritual descendant of Street Fighter 2. Just saying.

*Edit*

Also, "casual fun" and "competitive fun" were never mutually exclusive in any game, Smash included. The best videogames emerge when designers and developers understand that axiom.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
aMSa-Yoshi
Taj-Mewtwo
Gimpyfish-Bowser
Neo-Roy

aMSa in particular is extremely good. I think he could hold his own vs. Armada/M2K/Mango/PP/Hbox

In Brawl?
Boss-(Mario bros)
Mekos-Lucas
Vermanubis-Ganondorf
Nairo-Zelda

Put any of these vs top players (Ally, ADHD, M2K, ZeRo, Otori, etc) and they will get 2-3 stocked. Not because they're bad players. Because Brawl is wayyy more unbalanced.
From what I remember from Rajam's and John's money data this isn't at all true for Brawl side of the overall cast.

-Whiplash-

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silva-Silva
3DS FC
4527-7465-9250
Smash's community has nothing to do with the FGC saying 'Smash isn't a
Also, "casual fun" and "competitive fun" were never mutually exclusive in any game, Smash included. The best videogames emerge when designers and developers understand that axiom.
Exactly, but from Sakurai's Statements it seems he doesn't believe that is true. Which is why I don't get why he doesn't attempt to make the game faster and more competitive (Like melee) but also less complicated and easy (Like brawl)

A Good example is Street Fighter 4, which is like a hybrid between the complexity and depth of SF3, and the Slower more simplistic Gameplay of SF2, that's how this game should be, instead we seem to be getting another brawl.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Here's my perfect ideal hope for Smash 4. I think this would please both Melee and Brawl fans. I will mainly be using MK from Brawl to get my point across.

In Brawl MK had a lot of combos at low percents. I will be listing the basic ones.

-Glide Attack>nair>ftilt combo/djfair>djfair/Aerial Shuttle Loop (ASL)
-Uair>uair>uair/nair>uair/nair>uair>ASL/Tornado
-Dtilt>ftilt
-Dash attack (weak hit)>up tilt/nair>Grounded Shuttle Loop (GSL)/fair
-Bair (first two hits or just the first)>dsmash/nair/reverse GSL
-Dthrow>regrab>uair/dair/fair/buffered ftilt combo/nair

None of these combos are exactly zero death combos (except Shuttle Loop which is a death if it's DI'd wrong lol). In fact, at later percents, the uair strings/back air combos/dthrow combos require reads on DI/SDI angle. You can SDI out of the bair combos and avoid the follow ups, especially if you choose to do the 2 hit bair combo instead of the one (which is pretty hard to avoid the dsmash, but its doable). The reason why I chose MK to explain my example is that he is the perfect example to show off what would be an optimal Smash 4. He has plenty of TRUE combos at low to mid percents, but at high percents its all reads to get the uair>nair. Now if every character in Smash 4 had reliable, effective combo options like these, I would be very happy. That being said, MK is a fast, mobile character. And Smash4 is a relatively slow, and floaty game, with hits that send the opponent too far to actually combo. So I doubt the Smash 4 we played on the demos would be this. Hopefully the finalized product could be something similar to what I envisioned.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I think I'll save judgement for the game til I get it on the 3DS and Wii U before I call it good/bad etc.

I'm getting fair more annoyed by hasty generalized conclusions off a beta when it's clear they are trying to get feedback on improvements for the game which seems like Nintendo is willing to make changes this time. Something I don't recall them doing for the beta of Brawl.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Up B OOS is in. Buffer is in. Momentum is halted after transitioning from a run. Dash cancel might be in. It appears to be easier/quicker to do than in Brawl but still unreliable. There is now a pivot attack, which acts like a pivot grab.

Couldn't test much else. 2:00 min demo and too many people.

JayJay584

Smash Cadet
Are people under the impression that because old techs can't be done, new ones won't arise? I think people should wait until a few months after release before passing judgement, not on a build that wasn't the final product.

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'm just going to ask this: Did everyone, EVERYONE want some sort of melee engine for this game? I mean certainly there are people here who prefer brawl's engine than Melee's right?
There are, but the developer rhetoric and community outreach leading up to now definitely had both Brawl and Melee fans anticipating more of a hybrid. A fair amount of people seemed sold on the idea. Now that we're finding out the game has very little in common with Melee, expectations are re-aligning.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Why would anyone expect anything Melee like after his interview a year ago about pretty much saying he's not gonna do something like that again.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
The game lacks
-SDI
-Glide Tossing
-DACUS
-L-Cancelling
-Dash Dancing
-Wavedashing
-Moonwalking

Combo system
The only combo I was able to pull off was Mega Man's up air into Rush Coil (IDK if the dog has a hitbox, but the jump done be Mega Man lacks a hitbox, but it sends him high) into another up air. Landed on a platform as well after the second up air, so I could probably have followed up with something else, maybe an up air or a fair. Did it twice too on the Colliseum stage. And since there is NO SDI, you can't avoid it.
There isn't even any DACUS? Geez, that was like my favourite tech ever. Well it's possible that you may not have been playing the right characters, but I'll take your word for it.

Looks like my suspicions about comboing into UAir with Megaman was on the money. Bit of a shame you did it from another UAir but whatever. I feel that Day 1, when the metagame hasn't advanced yet, comboing into UAir will be like BnB for the blue Bomber.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
There isn't even any DACUS? Geez, that was like my favourite tech ever. Well it's possible that you may not have been playing the right characters, but I'll take your word for it.

Looks like my suspicions about comboing into UAir with Megaman was on the money. Bit of a shame you did it from another UAir but whatever. I feel that Day 1, when the metagame hasn't advanced yet, comboing into UAir will be like BnB for the blue Bomber.
Yeah. The combo system is lacking, and its near impossible to approach or play the neutral game, as every attack is so laggy and it forces you to commit, while spotdodge, roll, and shield still have frame advantage, from what I could see.

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
Remember that playable Brawl beta? I believe the physics were completely different in the final game that released only a few months later. So there's a pretty big chance that the final versions of the SSB4 games will have different physics as well! And it seems Nintendo is really listening to feedback of other players too. We might actually be in for a pleasant surprise regarding the physics when the games release.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Remember that playable Brawl beta? I believe the physics were completely different in the final game that released only a few months later. So there's a pretty big chance that the final versions of the SSB4 games will have different physics as well! And it seems Nintendo is really listening to feedback of other players too. We might actually be in for a pleasant surprise regarding the physics when the games release.
I hope the combo system is similar to my perfect idea of the combo system I thought out. Or maybe even better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom