• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, Smashers, you like the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
-Do you feel the game is really rewarding for a defensive play style?
-Do you prefer this game over Brawl?
-Do you like the pace of the game?
Share your thoughts!

Lichi

This is my war snarl
1. Not this again.
2. Yes.
Easy one. Brawl was a huge disappointment. I could list a couple dozen reasons why I do not like Brawl, not even as a party
game with friends, but I can shorten the list by saying "random tripping". Worst feature to be in the game.
3. Yes.
Would have loved to have less lag on certain aerials though. But I am quite satisfied regarding the mechanical aspects of the
game. The downsides for me come primarily in form of usability, missing features, missed opportunities, ...

Mr.Deoxys

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5300-8613-9585
I feel like the game is very well paced compared to brawl and thus I prefer Smash 4 over Brawl.
Not really feeling the defensive playstyle. :4shulk:
But all in all I really like this new smash

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
- Stop
- Yes. I prefer this game over any other game in the series. Smash 4 > Smash > Brawl > Melee
- Yes
- The game is great. I love the pacing, the controls (probably the 3DS game with most responsible controls, MUSICS, art direction, etc. GOTY for me so far.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
Yes to all

I wish people could just forget all about past smash games when judging ssb4......

And the there is nothing wrong with a strong defense or an aggressive defense. The D word.is used like it's a dirty word lol. It is camping that's lame.... and that is a players choice c e not a game flaw. Campers have camped for as long as.multiplayer has existed.... e wether or not the strategy is a viable/effective one varies from game to game.

Oh well. Opinions are opinions..... everyone has one, most of them ______

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
-It is more rewarding.
-It is portable and it doesn't have tripping, hitsun cancel and moon physics. Would take it anytime before Brawl.
-Even though battles take milleniums to end because the blast zones ar so damn far, it is still a very entertaining pace.
I would say this game is very great for being in a 3DS, it has a great roster, except Dark Pit, Dr Mario and Wii Fit Trainer and it's very fun overall. But it missed a lot of opportunities.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
I would say its by far my favourite Smash so far. It feels like it's the most balanced and certainly most fair in the series. (Melee was pretty unfair in many respects) I love the newcomers, the stages are fun, the music is incredible, it has the best controls in the series, the online is amazing, the pace is perfect, and there is no stand out bad character; I feel like I can do decent with all of them already.

AlexAnthonyD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anthony
3DS FC
1521-5082-7099
This game has been more difficult to pick up over any other smash so far. I feel like the character balance is actually there this time around, I have been whooped by every character and I am always the one who does the whooping in previous versions. This challenge is what has made it so fun for me so far, I feel like this game is a massive puzzle much deeper than before. In this game quick reflexes simply gives you another option or two in different spots in past smash games, melee and smash64 mainly it allowed you to overpower slower players.

Great game can't wait for wii u version as well so I can try this with a GC controller, I feel like everyone will love this game on that console. I purchased a 3ds and sm4sh on the same day and have had a way harder time adjusting to the 3ds than the new game. Im more of an Xbox/GC controller kinda guy.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Honestly, I feel like from a competitive standpoint, PM definitely has the edge. The main problems are Rage and Vectoring. Rage is a completely terrible mechanic, all it does is that whenever someone gets a kill, they get to tack on like 30% for free because the opponent loses their KO power when they die (which is too low across the board already). Vectoring isn't a bad idea in theory, it's just a bit too powerful. It should probably have about half the impact it currently does.

I'm also not convinced the balance is all that good. Though they've made good work to improve some characters (Yoshi, Samus, etc), there's still some pretty questionable decisions in there, like Zelda Side B still going into helpless, Shiek being so absurdly strong and safe, everything about Little Mac, etc.

It's a step in the right direction after Brawl, no question, but honestly I feel like the game will never become all it can be with Sakurai at the helm. He seems to make a lot of random decisions without really considering how they will affect the game. What is the logic behind how Rage is a good mechanic for the metagame? Can anyone even come up with anything?

BBC7

Smash Ace
-It is more rewarding.
-It is portable and it doesn't have tripping, hitsun cancel and moon physics. Would take it anytime before Brawl.
-Even though battles take milleniums to end because the blast zones ar so damn far, it is still a very entertaining pace.
I would say this game is very great for being in a 3DS, it has a great roster, except Dark Pit, Dr Mario and Wii Fit Trainer and it's very fun overall. But it missed a lot of opportunities.
The funny thing is, is that it has hit-stun cancel. Only 2 characters can actually cancel hit-stun though, so that's way more balanced than Brawl. (Mega Man and Diddy can cancel hit-stun, this makes me a happy Mega Man player because I get to avoid damage I otherwise have to eat as an another character.)

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
Honestly, I feel like from a competitive standpoint, PM definitely has the edge. The main problems are Rage and Vectoring. Rage is a completely terrible mechanic, all it does is that whenever someone gets a kill, they get to tack on like 30% for free because the opponent loses their KO power when they die (which is too low across the board already). Vectoring isn't a bad idea in theory, it's just a bit too powerful. It should probably have about half the impact it currently does.

I'm also not convinced the balance is all that good. Though they've made good work to improve some characters (Yoshi, Samus, etc), there's still some pretty questionable decisions in there, like Zelda Side B still going into helpless, Shiek being so absurdly strong and safe, everything about Little Mac, etc.

It's a step in the right direction after Brawl, no question, but honestly I feel like the game will never become all it can be with Sakurai at the helm. He seems to make a lot of random decisions without really considering how they will affect the game. What is the logic behind how Rage is a good mechanic for the metagame? Can anyone even come up with anything?
The logic is that this isn't a competitive aimed game by his standards and it's meant to be played with items or more than two people to cause chaos that prevents the exact kind of "Defensive" play everyone is complaining about.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Yes, YES and most defiantly yes. This game is by far my favourite Smash Bros in the series thus far, at least until the Wii U version arrives as I suspect I'll be playing and enjoying that more. Not that the 3DS version is bad or anything, it's just I see the Wii U version occupying more of my time with more modes, stages, better online, ect. The newcomers are enjoyable to play as and very unique, the stages are all fun and the fact that they have a Final Destination mode makes them even better, the music, while limited and I understand why, is by far the best music I've heard in a Smash Bros. game, the controls are very good, at least in my personal opinion, pace is perfect as I didn't care too much for Melee's super speedy gameplay and Brawl's sluggish movements and floatyness. Overall, I'm enjoying the crap out of this game and I foresee myself playing it for years to come, more so than Brawl, Melee and of course 64. The online helps immensely since most of the time I get lagless games and I'm paired up with some fun competition. I truly feel this game will bridge the gap between competitive and casual gameplay.

BBC7

Smash Ace

Rage mechanics have been in fighting games since Street Fighter II, believe or not. And Street Fighter II is a very competitive fighting game which wasn't slaughtered by rage. I don't think Smash Bros gets severely affected by Rage either. It's there to give the feeling of never being out of the fight, which I like. You can't actually utilize the mechanic all that well unless you can make some sort of comeback, going into Rage isn't a guaranteed kill for you. Personally, I like how it makes the victor not as set in stone.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Rage mechanics have been in fighting games since Street Fighter II, believe or not.
Smash's Rage mechanic is different from any other fighting game because in Smash, Rage can be lost mid-match, and is lost by making a mistake rather than doing well, no less. If your rage went up in a purely linear fashion from the beginning of the match to the end it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

I don't think Smash Bros gets severely affected by Rage either. It's there to give the feeling of never being out of the fight, which I like. You can't actually utilize the mechanic all that well unless you can make some sort of comeback, going into Rage isn't a guaranteed kill for you. Personally, I like how it makes the victor not as set in stone.
The thing is that all of this is completely wrong. It doesn't have that effect AT ALL.

The way rage works in Smash 4 is that you get a boost in KO power when your damage is high. Or, to put it another way, when your damage is low, you have less KO power.

When you die, your damage goes from high to low instantly. In effect, this causes you to lose a lot of KO power. Rather than giving you a chance to catch up, this instead makes it much harder for you to finish your opponent's stock, effectively eliminating revenge KOs and allowing them to easily rack up some percent on your fresh stock before you can get the stock off. This actually widens the lead compared to if the Rage mechanic was not in the game.

The real effect of Rage is actually to overly reward the player who takes the first stock and make comebacks much less common, especially in a two stock match, where the person who gets the first stock virtually always wins.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Smash's Rage mechanic is different from any other fighting game because in Smash, Rage can be lost mid-match, and is lost by making a mistake rather than doing well, no less. If your rage went up in a purely linear fashion from the beginning of the match to the end it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

The thing is that all of this is completely wrong. It doesn't have that effect AT ALL.

The way rage works in Smash 4 is that you get a boost in KO power when your damage is high. Or, to put it another way, when your damage is low, you have less KO power.

When you die, your damage goes from high to low instantly. In effect, this causes you to lose a lot of KO power. Rather than giving you a chance to catch up, this instead makes it much harder for you to finish your opponent's stock, effectively eliminating revenge KOs and allowing them to easily rack up some percent on your fresh stock before you can get the stock off. This actually widens the lead compared to if the Rage mechanic was not in the game.

The real effect of Rage is actually to overly reward the player who takes the first stock and make comebacks much less common, especially in a two stock match, where the person who gets the first stock virtually always wins.
Huh, I must have been thinking of another game that had Rage mechanics where you weren't ever out because of Rage. Maybe I was thinking of Tekken?

Naeroon

Smash Rookie
- Stop
- Yes. I prefer this game over any other game in the series. Smash 4 > Smash > Brawl > Melee
- Yes
- The game is great. I love the pacing, the controls (probably the 3DS game with most responsible controls, MUSICS, art direction, etc. GOTY for me so far.

Not here to troll, just genuinely curious as to your thoughts on why Melee is the worst in the series? Have never heard that before, very interesting opinion.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Huh, I must have been thinking of another game that had Rage mechanics where you weren't ever out because of Rage. Maybe I was thinking of Tekken?
The problem is really that in this game, the Rage mechanic rewards you for doing well (since you have to stay alive at high percents to keep it) rather than doing poorly (as in most games where you get more by being close to death). That's what makes it an anti-comeback mechanic. I can appreciate people not liking comeback mechanics because they feel it diminishes the skill of the game, but you really don't need mechanics that give even more advantage to the player who is already in the lead.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Not here to troll, just genuinely curious as to your thoughts on why Melee is the worst in the series? Have never heard that before, very interesting opinion.
I don't like the fast paced gameplay and the 'art style' is kind of ugly. I have heard people who have Melee as the worst in the series plenty of times, though :)

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Reila, Naeroon, this is giving me bad vibes. Be careful least this turns into the inevitable.

On topic with this,

- Kinda? I see aggressive play working out really well too actually. People are so content to lay back and be defensive while aggression can be rewarded for reading your opponent.
- So far, yes.
- The pace of the game is awesome.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
its good. lots of potential too with the faster pace and that air dodge nerf is a bigger deal than people think atm. in a lot of scenarios you're better off just taking the follow up because getting your air dodge read in this game HURTS. especially if you air dodge too low and hit the ground. kinda reminds me of a burst system.

it came out better than i expected. looking forward to wii u version.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
I like it because i love smash, but i hate it because its on the 3ds. The 3ds controller just isn't good enough for a game like smash.

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
This is my favorite Smash game so far! I would have killed for it as a kid!

The only problem is the 3DS system/controls. I would much rather play with a controller. Still, I will take what I can get and am overall very happy :D

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It's easily my favourite game in the series thus far. I'd even say it's the best quality game in terms of presentation and craftsmanship.

Honestly, I can't really fault it from a critical perspective. I can easily find something to enjoy in every aspect of it. Even the mechanical alterations don't make any sort of difference to me or impact upon my appreciation of the game.

Last edited:

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
- yes
- yes
- not sure yet, i still feel like the game limits my movement, compared to melee where i feel truly in control. I still feel like its just not that "smooth" and it does hinder my enjoyment of the game. No final judgements yet and of course i HAVE to play the wii u version with the GCN controller to form a proper opinion but as of yet these are my thoughts.

Crimnonin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gettinjiggy
3DS FC
0920-0728-2546
Based on what I've played of SSB4 so far:

Melee > SSB4 > Brawl

at least, in terms of pacing. Melee had its own hiccups (the game felt stiff at times) but without the ATs, I thought it was an enjoyable speed.

I mean, if they tried to release Melee with 3DS controls I wouldn't buy it. I'd probably break my 3DS. The pacing of this game makes sense for a mobile game.

But as far as defensive options go, rolling is kind of obnoxious in this game.

I just hope the Wii U version feels a bit different. I'll be getting them both, so nobody can say I never tried.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
No comment. :p
Yes yes and YES!
I'm enjoying the pace of the game. It's faster and more enjoyable than brawl and the character balance is looking good.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
-Do you feel the game is really rewarding for a defensive play style?
-Do you prefer this game over Brawl?
-Do you like the pace of the game?
Share your thoughts!
I feel like the game rewards whoever plays best, defensive or offensive.
Of course, just like I prefer Brawl over Melee.
I really like the pace, but the blast zones could be smaller...
Also, the roster could have less Kid Icarus and Mario and more Metroid and DK.

Khao

Smash Lord
I ****ing love it.

If there's one change I would make to the basic gameplay, is making it so you can't airdodge out of a tumble, as I feel like you can do one just a little bit earlier than I'd like which makes escaping combos far easier than it should be. Thankfully, airdodges are far more punishable now than they were in Brawl, though, so it's not as big of a deal as it was there.

But yes, the way I see it, this is by far the best Smash we've gotten so far, both in terms of mechanics, and in terms of characters and general roster variation. I don't really have a clear favorite gameplay-wise when it comes to Melee vs Brawl, as there's things on both that I like and dislike. But this game pretty much fixed nearly everything that I didn't like about Brawl, so even though there's still a few things I feel like Melee does better, as a whole I like this new game's gameplay over it. I like the general pace, I like the fall speed, I like the general "feel," I like new characters, I even ****ing love the huge blastzones and the way they make offstage play more relevant and feasible. It's honestly really hard to find something I don't like about this game, so when I said the airdodge is the one change I'd do, I really meant it. The game's not perfect, but it's pretty damn close to being so if you ask me.

Last edited:

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
how much does the rage effect affect knockback tho?

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
how much does the rage effect affect knockback tho?
It's around +30% knockback at 150% damage.

That might not sound like a lot, but remember that even 5% can be the difference between living and dying when an attack sends you right to the edge of the blast zone. It typically tends to be the difference between dying around 120% and 160%.

Vaughngief

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3265-5520-0241
The game is fun and it certainly has me hyped up for the Wii U version even more, but I'm not taking the 3DS version seriously as a competitive title. I'm treating it like a handheld Smash, which is exactly what it is. I don't wanna break my circle pad by going all out like I would with a Game Cube controller. I feel like this could be the Smash that could be seen at tournaments all year long (including Evo). I love the pace and very much prefer it over Brawl if things stay the way they are for the Wii U version (hoping for better online though with the home console version).

Poketroopa

Smash Rookie
I dont mind the new physics in the game, but it feels incomplete in terms of content. Really hoping they blow us away with the Wii U version.

Wolfen McGunz

Smash Cadet
I honestly get tired of people comparing it to Melee.

But anyways, yes I absolutely love this game, and its responsiveness!

Best Smash yet!

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
1. To an extent yes, but it should be an used an an excuse for why you're losing
2. Sm4sh > Smash 64 > Melee > Brawl
3. Yes

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
As a game itself, of course it's pretty nice.
As a Smash Bros. game, it's easily the worst after Brawl. It helped me putting my expectations for the WiiU version a little lower (no way it's worse than the 3DS one though).

Actual answers:

1) I don't even know what you mean nor do I care about that.
2) They're both extremely disappointing but at least Brawl has a decent multiplayer mode. I don't see myself playing Sm4sh 3DS after December 5th.
3) I'm not sure what you mean. As gameplay itself, yes it's better than Brawl. All the rest is worse though. Infinite amount of bull**** challenges and grinding that brings the whole thing down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom