• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashin' Time - Presented by GEEX - July 16-17th, SLC, UT

Kirrus

Smash Rookie
Smashin' Time - Smash Bros Brawl Tournament

When: July 16-17th, 2010

SIGN UPS ARE LIVE NOW !!!! Go to the GEEX website to sign up! Brawl AND Melee tournaments! ZOMG!!!!!!!

Where: At the Gaming & Electronics Expo, South Towne Expo Center, 9575 South State Street
Sandy, UT, 84070.
www.geexshow.com
Join the Smashin' Time Facebook Group here

What: Smash Bros Tournament - 1v1 and 2v2 Team Tournament

Entry: 10$ per tournament

Prizes: 1v1 - 70/20/10 split for top 3 plus more!
2v2 Teams - 80/20 split for top 2 teams

Rules: No items, standard tournament rules & stages. Read following posts.

We're having a big Smash Bros. Tournament at GEEX so bring the hype! Prizes, main stage for finals, and lots of fun and Smashin' all around. This tournament is in sponsored by GEEX but it is player run, so we want your feedback and need your help to make it awesome. We need community help in judges and set ups. Anyone who helps out gets a free entry into GEEX for both days!

MORE Info to come as we get closer to the date so check back often.

Questions? Want to help? Contact us at smashintime@gmail.com

Kirrus

Smash Rookie
RULES

General Rules:

* Bring your own controller
* 3 Stock
* Double elimination
* 8 minute timer
* Items are set to "off" and "none"
* All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 for all finals)
* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. In the event of a full tie, a one-stock sudden death match will be played out.
* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser. The same goes for Ganon's suicide grab, as well as Dedede and Kirby's swallowcides.
* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
* In the event of breaking the following three rules, a stock will be forfeit by the offender in the first instance, then the match, then the set:

o Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
o Stalling is banned.
+ Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.
o All wall infinites are legal until 150%.

Stage List

Starter

* Lylat Cruise
* Battlefield
* Final Destination
* Smashville
* Yoshi's Island

Counter

* Castle Siege
* Pokemon Stadium 1
* Delfino Plaza
* Halberd
* Brinstar
* Frigate Orpheon
* Jungle Japes
* Pictochat
* Rainbow Cruise

Set format (In Order of Procedure):

1.Both players choose their characters for the first match *

2. Both players start the stage striking procedure

3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set

4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2

5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List

6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character

7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character

8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches

*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Additional Rules for Double's Play

* Life Stealing is allowed
* Set team attack to ON

Extra Rules

* Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.
* Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental interference and delay for tournament matches.
* The Mages DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.
* Absolutely no friendly / money match play on tournament TVs while the tournament is being run. If you're caught, expect to be kicked out of every tournament you entered. Oh, and kiss your money goodbye. No refunds.
* There is a 50 ledgegrab limit in effect. On average, that's one ledgegrab every 6 seconds. Be more creative with your camping.

Banned Techniques:

* Standing chaingrabs / grab release infinites (Dedede's dthrow, Marth's grab release, Bowser's grab release, etc.) (does not apply to ICs)
* Dedede's walking chaingrab, you must do a running chaingrab at all times
* Any form of stage glitch abuse for the use of stalling (rudderstalling / rockstalling on Pirate Ship, Metaknight's exploit on Halberd, etc.) If I see it, you're disqualified.

Kirrus

Smash Rookie
Volunteers/Tournament Organizers / Judges

DarkRyu
PerfectChaos
DeathBySuarez
lanky_gunner

*If you want to volunteer and help run please PM me. If you are on the list and can not make it or even just not sure if you can. Please PM me immediately. *

People Bringing Set Ups (TV, Wii, 1 Wii mote, 1 copy of game with characters unlocked)

*all set ups are going to be labeled by us, so if you don't want that, label it yourself. We will have security to watch it all night. You must bring your set up by 3:00 pm on Friday, and can pick it up after 4pm on Saturday*

All volunteers and people bringing set ups need to PM me your real name and an e-mail so I can put you on a list to get into GEEX.

Kirrus

Smash Rookie
*Time Schedule*

Friday July 16
1v1 Tournament Start to finals - 6:00pm - 11:00pm

Saturday July 17th
2v2 Sign ups 10:00am - 11:00am
2v2 Tourney 11:00am - 3:00pm

On Stage
1v1 Top 4 Finals 3:00pm
2v2 Finals 3:00pm

Schedule is subject to change. We are under strict time constraints because of the GEEX Expo, so we will be very strict on times. Bring your own controller, no waiting for others. We will disqualify you if you hold up the tournament.

vazor

Smash Apprentice
Woohoo! This one is going to be awesome! Finals up on a HUGE screen, lots of casual players for a huge prize pool, and some big names (best Sonic in the world anyone?) will be there. No way I'm gonna miss this one! :enforcer:

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
ok
one more time
putting 3 nuetrals
will not only be easier for comptetive
but also for the n00bz who don't know the striking system and what nuetrals and counters in the first place k mang?

and japes is pushing it
heavily favors falco to point of domination
and metaknight can plank very effectively there

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
And pokemon stadium 2 is missing, if japes and picto are in there is no excuse not to have ps2, and it to cp plz

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
There's a space by my name buddy. So it's not DarkRyu.

As for legal stages, I'd advise you to use the rule list and stage list from Genesis.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211143

Neutral Stages:

* Battlefield
* Final Destination
* Smashville
* Yoshi's Island (Brawl) This stage will be used as a neutral ONLY in Singles & Doubles Bracket. It will be used as a Counter pick during Singles & Doubles Pools.
* Pokemon Stadium (Melee) This stage will be used as a neutral ONLY in Singles & Doubles Bracket. It will be used as a Counter pick during Singles & Doubles Pools.

Counter pick Stages:

* Lylat Cruise
* Delfino Plaza
* Castle Siege
* Frigate Orpheon
* Battleship Halberd
* Rainbow Cruise
* Brinstar

___X___

Smash Lord
Ohhhh Can't wait for thiss!!!! I wonder who'll be in grand finals with me... ;)

I hope everyone can make it!!! :colorful:

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Neutral Stages:
* Pokemon Stadium (Melee) This stage will be used as a neutral ONLY in Singles & Doubles Bracket. It will be used as a Counter pick during Singles & Doubles Pools.
Ew... Pokémon Stadium 1 in Brawl is a horrible stage, IMO. It's definitely not neutral material. (Even Melee doesn't even have it as a neutral in singles, anymore...and Melee's is much less horrible and less campy...)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Counter

* Castle Siege
* Pokemon Stadium 1
* Delfino Plaza
* Halberd
* Brinstar
* Frigate Orpheon
* Jungle Japes
* Pictochat
* Rainbow Cruise
Out of these stages PS2 is a better stage than

*Brinstar
*Frigate Orpheon
*Jungle Japes
*PictoChat
*Rainbow Cruise (wtf mk pwns here)
and I wont count this cuz most people dont agree but i think its better than delfino too

There's seriously no reason not to add PS2

Kirrus

Smash Rookie
How big is this expected to get?

if you guys add Melee and have a big total pot for everything, I am considering flying here.

Please let me know if you guys are willing to do this

I will also money match everyone.

I will discuss with some of the other organizers. Off the top of my head here is my answer: This will be the second GEEX but the first year a concentrated effort has been put into putting on console tournaments. Right now, with the amount of word of mouth advertising and current smash player base we're expecting the turn out to be good. But we still have 3 months to advertise and a LOT of the GEEX budget (well, most of it) is in advertising, so we're hoping for a great turn out. The prize pay out will be sponsor dependent (right now we have play & trade, and some more ones we are lining up.) On top of the split pot. We will know closer to the date, but say only 40 people play the 1v1 Smash tourney. 70% of that pot is 280, plus whatever the sponsorship comes out to. The more players that come the more money we add to the pot, as the entry fee for the tournament is 100% going back to the players. This is for the community by the community. The goal is to make Smashin' Time the premier Smash tournament of the Mountain Region, and have it annually at GEEX. It would be great if you came out, as it would build a lot of hype.

Because of time constraints, if there is enough interest we will consider running a melee tournament after the 1v1 preliminaries on Friday night. It all depends on time and player interest, as our current schedule is focused on just the 2 Brawl tournaments, and making sure they are on time and run smoothly. We would have sign ups at the conclusion of the 1v1 preliminaries time permitting.

Lastly, there will be casual stations set up. GEEX and the state of Utah will not sanction any money matches as it's considered gambling. So I am stating this openly here and now, GEEX and related parties do NOT endorse money matches. I suggest you guys play some casuals, and later give money to each other for unrelated reasons far from the organizers. Thanks!

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I will advertise if there's a flier or something to put up (and if you add PS2 >.>) I can put them all over my area cuz no one else in the smash scene lives by me (except Gkirbs but I'm talking about in the opposite direction from him)

-Final-

Aria♪
Eh, What? This isn't at someone's house? I'm coming to it.

I'll probably be able to bring a full setup as well (except maybe the TV)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Are you really thinking that I thought he was telling the truth lol

Top Bottom