• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - July 18th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash WiiU & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai said: "Pic of the day. Here's a Screen K.O. shot. There are also patterns where players will disappear into the sky for Star K.O.s, but as a match's time limit approaches, those K.O.s will not occur anymore."

For more discussion about Screen K.O.'s, visit the thread, Screen KOs = Absolutely Hilarious.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Huh? Does he mean if a match ends it won't let the full KO animation play out or what? Or if the timer of a game is going to be over, they'll just die in a explosion instead of the Star thing?

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
Okay so does that mean when time runs out all star K.Os will be replaced with bang-on-screen-K.Os or just normals side-K.Os because they are faster and players can jump back into the fight earlier? That´s a really good idea!

It´s just amazing how much thought is put in all those renewed details!

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Huh? Does he mean if a match ends it won't let the full KO animation play out or what? Or if the timer of a game is going to be over, they'll just die in a explosion instead of the Star thing?
I don't think he means the screen KOs will stop happening as the match ends but as you get closer to the end of the match, like one minute away from time limit being up.
It's a good idea because otherwise it'd be cheap for your opponent to win by being one stock ahead because the animation took too long and the match ends before the animation finishes.
So, in regards to what I just said, in the paragraph above me. Technically yes they won't continue for the screen character KO animation to appear at the end of the match, but I just meant that it won't only be at the very end of the match.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
I have had too many matches, where I knock the opponent upwards, and they win due to me falling to my death while the star animation plays... Thank You Sakurai!!! :D

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Ah, I see. Forgot about that. I think it was sorta interesting and just something you had to consider, but I don't mind this change and I'm continued to be impressed by how many things they can find and improve!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Mario's face kinda reminds me of when we could mess with it in Super Mario 64.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Wow, look at Mario's cheek and nose against the glass. Love it.
Can't wait to see how it's implemented to ZSS.

"but as a match's time limit approaches, those K.O.s will not occur anymore"...

From a competitive angle, I really like this, but from a wacky angle, I don't.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I have had too many matches, where I knock the opponent upwards, and they win due to me falling to my death while the star animation plays... Thank You Sakurai!!! :D
What he said. This is a very welcomed change :)

Crisconvor

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crisconvor
3DS FC
0705-2646-5407
This was never really an issue with Melee stock matches considering how fast paced the game was. But this was a problem in Brawl mostly because from time to time, neither of the fighters would lose all of their stocks due to the increased floatyness and overall speed of the game, so it would come down to the line.So if this game is anything like Brawl then this will be a very welcome feature. Nice to see that Sakurai is finally taking things like this into consideration.

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
So what happens in stock battles?

I always wondered why there were few star KOs in the gameplay vids, and more of the normal blast KOs, and screen KOs were way more common. This explains it.

To me, if I wanted to make sure this never happened where someone star KO'd, then I would try to use star KO moves. I am more annoyed with say teams when someone goes and slams onto the screen for about a full second rather than a split second and not being so full of the screen.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
No more Star KOs near the end of a match?! What! From a competitive stand-point, I'm loving this to death. But from a casual standpoint, I'm not too happy. I loved Star KOs. They were really epic. But, hey, I can still have them anytime else during the match, so I guess it's cool. The amount of though Sakurai is putting into this game amazes me. Day 1 pick-up for sure.

LoneWolfRanger

Smash Apprentice
All I really want from this point is a great engine to play the game in. I am sure that concerning content, this game has enough of it

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The reasoning for this change is because it takes a while for a Star KO to actually award you the KO, and if time runs out during that time, you won't get the KO at all.

D

Deleted member

Good. I remember one time I KO'd someone by lifting them off the screen with Wolf's Landmaster on Flat Zone, then drove too far to the left and died before he disappeared.

Never again

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
Wow, look at Mario's cheek and nose against the glass. Love it.
Can't wait to see how it's implemented to ZSS.
"but as a match's time limit approaches, those K.O.s will not occur anymore"...
From a competitive angle, I really like this, but from a wacky angle, I don't.

I think DK has the best though.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Nice touch, but what about this annoying edge case?

-Two players connect with an upward attack. One flies straight up, the other flies up at an angle.
-The first player crosses the Star KO border a fraction of a second before they stop happening, so they fly into the background.
-The timer ticks down and crosses the Star KO Threshhold
-The second player crosses the Star KO border, but since they've stopped, they're KO'd immediately.
-The first person to cross the KO border wins.

It would have to happen at just the right moment. I'm dying to see it happen at EVO or something.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So what happens in stock battles?

I always wondered why there were few star KOs in the gameplay vids, and more of the normal blast KOs, and screen KOs were way more common. This explains it.
I assume the same thing happens when someone has only one stock left.

B1gBandJazZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
jp4464
3DS FC
0903-3227-6508
The amount of thought that goes into each of these details of the game makes me so excited for the new game!

Last edited:

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
Absolutely love that this stops when the match begins to wind down to the final amount. I honestly think it will be when the clock starts displaying the time in huge numbers, since no animation takes more than three seconds or whatever. But man, that can even out things so well in a competitive scene and my friends and I play really hard with one another and think it is all both hilarious and rage inducing when the person doesn't die before the timer runs out. Ah, breathe safe now, children.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Mario be like: Nice mushroom you got there.... it'd be a shame if somebody.... ate it!

Last edited:

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
These are so expressive loved them when I saw them at the demo event and from gameplay videos. Love the detail.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I assume the same thing happens when someone has only one stock left.
I doubt it. This probably doesn't apply to Stock matches. I mean, it seems like the whole reason Sakurai implemented this is because if you KO someone at the end of a match then it won't count if they are still doing the star KO animation. That's not relevant at all in stock matches.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I doubt it. This probably doesn't apply to Stock matches. I mean, it seems like the whole reason Sakurai implemented this is because if you KO someone at the end of a match then it won't count if they are still doing the star KO animation. That's not relevant at all in stock matches.
Yes it is. If you have to edge guard and you star KO them, there's a decent chance that you'll fall to your doom before the star KO registers. You and the player will know that you won, but the game won't recognize it.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
Yes it is. If you have to edge guard and you star KO them, there's a decent chance that you'll fall to your doom before the star KO registers. You and the player will know that you won, but the game won't recognize it.
When it comes down to that point, then the play being star KO'd wins, because of the other player's lack of ability to converge on the KO off the side or below and recover back to the stage. That's why the off stage business is so tough at times: you can't always get back if you guarantee the kill.

What I'm thinking is that this whole idea only comes down to time limits and such, which stock matches can also have.

EDIT: And additionally, Sakurai mentions that this happens when the time limits approach zero, so I definitely think it is time only.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
"as a match's time limit approaches, those K.O.s will not occur anymore."

So, another reason to play on stock?

But ya, I think once or twice I actually lost a match with friends due to getting side K.Oed while my opponent got star K.Oed.

SuperBoshi

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
JOHN#281
These KO's look so much better than the other ones from previous games !

Top Bottom