• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - July 14th

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Why Rayman? Why a trophy? With all the respect he deserves, he's not a Nintendo char and he's not in the game. So... Why?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Why Rayman? Why a trophy? With all the respect he deserves, he's not a Nintendo char and he's not in the game. So... Why?
This is what's bugging me.

Rayman is one of my favourite franchises and characters, so I would be overjoyed if he was playable. However, I never saw his connection/contribution to Nintendo as outstanding in anyway, so as a third party character, he is the last thing I would expect.

However, him showing up as just a trophy makes even less sense. If he showed up as a fighter, people would be hyped, since he's a beloved character. If he shows up as just a trophy, people will be confused, and left with a bittersweet taste in their mouth.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
Sonic was a big ****in deal, but he was also the most expected third party character. Mega Man, Pac-Man, and now possibly Rayman.

Crossing my fingers for Batman!
Batman is 4th party though

But who cares, Batman4Smash

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
This has got to be the most intense/confusing day of Super Smash Bros. ever.. First the EVO 2014 Nintendo "announcement", then this "Pic of the Day" Rayman reveal out of nowhere, then the July 14, 2014 trailer itself with Captain Falcon just casually showing up with the Newcomers Robin and Lucina(?!), then the debate on if Lucina is an alternate costume or not and if Chrom is playable or not, with "RIP GEMATSU" thrown in for good measure. @_@

A lot of the Reddit comments of confusion for today's Pic of the Day echo my sentiments... I laughed at these ones in particular :laugh::

Loldude0001 said:
New Sakurai picture! (07/14) "Pic of the day. I found some pills underneath my couch. I don't know what they were. I took them. Here's a thing."

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/c..._picture_0714_pic_of_the_day_in_order/ciwvg09
SSJBobert said:
------------------------------------

Also, it's worth noting that Rayman Legends was published by Nintendo for its Japanese release. Kind of a similar situation to the Professor Layton games in North America. Suddenly, this trophy inclusion makes sense.
Good point; someone also mentioned this tidbit on Reddit. It does seem to make a bit more sense now..

Glad to see that Rayman appears in some capacity...I feel like he'd make an interesting fighter like Sukapon would..
---

On a side-note, this (seemingly random) inclusion of a Rayman Trophy just raised my hopes for Konami's (Solid) Snake's potential second playable appearance even more. :estatic:

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Still... why include him even as a trophy? Usually, third party trophies and stickers were included but only related to the given series involved (Sonic and MGS in the past); now with Pacman, we get other Bandai Namco references but it was understandable as Namco was helping. But it reminds me of a rumor I saw on a lost Youtube video that Mega Man indeed was going to Brawl, but Capcom wanted too much control over the game itself like adding cameos of other Capcom characters, and that Meg's AT would had been Leon Kennedy and not someone form the MM games.

Now from what I see... are they adding at least just as trophies, third party characters once involved with Nintendo?

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
This news for me trumps the newcomer announcement. I freaking love Rayman.

I think inclusions like this means they are trying to bring 3rd party references into the game to bring more minds to its existence and possibly boosting sales of that game. Which is a good thing.

Either way, he isn't playable, but he is in the game! That's good enough for me!

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
After Sonic and Snake in Brawl, I'm sure a lot of third-party companies contacted Nintendo and Sakurai in hopes of getting their flagship character in the game.

Sakurai said there wouldn't be a huge number of third party characters in the game, and it's ultimately his choice about who gets in and who doesn't.

As an act of polite concession and good-will, I could see him putting a trophy of the suggested character in the game.

Last edited:

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
This was the weirdest thing to choose as pic of the day. It would have been huge news, but now with three characters added to the roster and a new pic on the website, Rayman's trophy is undeservedly overshadowed. I love Sakurai, but sometimes he makes the strangest decisions.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Super Smash Toons confirmed, with Spongebob, Patrick, Timmy, Jimmy, and other Cartoon characters as starters, including the Rabbids because Rayman got a trophy in Smash Brothers.

I'm sorry.

Hejjihoggu

Smash Rookie
After Sonic and Snake in Brawl, I'm sure a lot of third-party companies contacted Nintendo and Sakurai in hopes of getting their flagship character in the game.

Sakurai said there wouldn't be a huge number of third party characters in the game, and it's ultimately his choice about who gets in and who doesn't.

As an act of polite concession and good-will, I could see him putting a trophy of the suggested character in the game.
I'm just going to use this theory for now, since it hurts my brain less and it's actually legit.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
If Rayman appears as a TROPHY, Geno better appear in some way shape or form, I'd be happy if he were a sticker, at the very least.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
We'll know soon but I'm thinking he's plyable and this trophy is just a tease much like how Game&Watch appeared at the end of Pac-Man's trailer because honestly to me it doesn'T make sense for this random trophy from Ubisoft was here but not Rahman himself, could you imagine what that'd be like for people who either missed this update or don't follow the updates in general?

Also let's be honest, how many of you actually read the trophy profiles without it being during a boring afternoon, months after you get the game.

Sababu

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sababu1
Next thing ya know, Nintendo is going to ask EA if they could make a trophy for John Madden, or Capcom for Albert Wesker or Ryu
We're getting all of those things. F-zero is still a maybe but Smash brings back franchises. For example, Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem Awakening would of never happened without Smash bros. Smash is part game and part huge advertisement to boost sales to recent and upcoming games.

Top Bottom