• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - August 5th

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
Not a fan of Brawl's Dragoon, so I hope this is a bit less unfair in battles. I do like the design though. Regardless of how many KI items are in the game, they all seem to fit well enough.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It makes more sense to be expecting Ganondorf to be revealed on August 14th, since that's when Hyrule Warriors releases in Japan.

D

Deleted member

Also, the Smash fanbase, the only one that complains about having too much content.
Just thought I'd repost this to remind the Smash fanbase how ridiculously stupid they're being. This is an item. Individual items can be turned off if you don't like them. So really, what the hell are you all complaining about? Nothing. So be quiet and stop whining like spoiled brats.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
This. Item. Looks. AMAZING!! I loved Dragoon if only because of the epic kills you could dole out and the time-dilation effect Dragoon had. The Daybreak looks like it could break more than just the day. I'm getting some serious Power Rangers vibes off this thing. Can't wait to use it and yell "GO GO POWER RANGERS!!!!" every time.

Anyone else wondering what the stage in the background of the first pic is?

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Kid Icarus has only two characters.
Items are a trivial matter.

Also, the Smash fanbase, the only one that complains about having too much content.
I'd rather have content from other franchises than strictly Kid Icarus. How about some Fire Emblem items, how about some Pikmin items, how about some more Pokemon items? But nope, more Kid Icarus items.

Also, watch that two character thing turn to three when Sakurai reveals Dark Pit and then is like "oh well Lucina is a clone so he can be one too!"

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'd rather have content from other franchises than strictly Kid Icarus. How about some Fire Emblem items, how about some Pikmin items, how about some more Pokemon items? But nope, more Kid Icarus items.

Also, watch that two character thing turn to three when Sakurai reveals Dark Pit and then is like "oh well Lucina is a clone so he can be one too!"
One more item addition from Kid Icarus does not equal no other additions from other franchises. And you still don't know everything there is to know about the content on the full version of this game, so you'd do well to stop making those kinds of assumptions.

And you are complaining about wanting more pokemon items...really? Having an entire repertoire of pokemon dedicated to one item isn't enough to you? How greedy.

And again, more content is never a bad thing. I welcome any character or item from any Nintendo series that makes it into this game.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
One more item addition from Kid Icarus does not equal no other additions from other franchises. And you still don't know everything there is to know about the content on the full version of this game, so you'd do well to stop making those kinds of assumptions.

And you are complaining about wanting more pokemon items...really? Having an entire repertoire of pokemon dedicated to one item isn't enough to you? How greedy.
Are you just finding ways to nitpick at my post? Really? No other Pokemon items because the Poke-Ball is large enough? *facepalm*

Well whatever, you can call me greedy, but I didn't want another Dragoon in this game, so I have the right to dislike this content.

Raykushi

Smash Cadet
Actually yes- Sakurai loved Ice Climber
But Smash Bros is his god damn game, he can put what he thinks works. We ask for characters to be included, most of the time not because we think they're fitting, but because they come from games that we love (those characters being fitting for smash is a coincidence on our part).

Sakurai is putting characters while considering who is:

fitting, what he likes, what he thinks the fanbase likes, balancing, reputation, genre of the character's franchise, appearance, etc.

When a character is introduced, it's hardly because of bias. In fact, Sakurai is on the record saying that he doesn't like adding too many of his own characters because he wants to avoid bias.

People complained that FE getting 4 reps was undeserving when Starfox, Metroid, Kirby, and Donkey Kong never got that many reps. Sakurai didn't put them out of bias, he did it for all of the aforementioned combined reasons listed above.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
How is he going to reveal 12 veterans and the last newcomers in only 33 weekdays? Especially when he's been revealing everything but characters lately. . . I can't wait anymore :(

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Unless my wife n kids r playin with me, I hardly use weapons. Most of the time I just throw down either a 1v1 5 stock or a FFA 20 stock match.

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
I woke up at 3 in the morning to see the pic of the day and I was really tired and thought that the first picture was the Golden Saucer from FF7 for some reason lol

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Just sayin'. Seriously, is all anyone does here is complain? If you don't like it, don't. Buy. It. Have you seen how many Kirby items there are? Sakurai is going to represent his stuff how he wants, complaining changes nothing. Just enjoy what you have and stop being ungrateful children.
I wasn't complaining, just pointing out how comically weak it is compared to the real weapons in KIU.

My Lancer Staff, for example. It can fire OHKO shots that go through walls every two seconds, with the help of powers. (It's mid-tier, FYI.) The Daybreak takes an entire match to make, for roughly the same effect. Most people will pop a Brief Invincibility, Celestial Firework, Bumblebee, or Warp to get away once they see the Daybreak coming, so it's even more useless. Whereas my Lancer has about 20 times more Quick Charge & Slipshot shots then people have defensive powers, and an infinite supply of OHKO shots that don't go through walls.

Anyway, I don't think KIU is all that over represented. It's mostly in items, and there's a good reason: There's 108 weapons in KIU, and just adding two of them doesn't exactly scream "truckloads of weapons." Pokemon managed to get one (technically two now) item(s) that represents 30 of the Pokemon. That's about 29 items that could of been from Metroid or Pikmin, folks. Just because KI's items aren't disguised as one item doesn't make it any worse then Pokemon's. I'd say it's fully justified in both cases.

KIU is a good deal more popular then other franchises, too. F-Zero GX bombed. Metroid OM was pretty close. Mother 3 was generally hated in Japan. KIU got to a million pretty quick, and it's still selling well for a minor Nintendo franchise, three years from release. You could make a good case for DK and Pikmin, but DK is a part of the Mario series which already has tons of content, and Pikmin is hard to represent in SSB. Sakurai had to make up a Pikmin item for SSB4, remember?

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
People complained that FE getting 4 reps was undeserving when Starfox, Metroid, Kirby, and Donkey Kong never got that many reps. Sakurai didn't put them out of bias, he did it for all of the aforementioned combined reasons listed above.
Actually a lot of people complained that Fire Emblem got four reps. I personally think FE deserves all of it's content, but that's just me.

Exaggeratedhonesty

Smash Champion
Mario is overrepresented when you think about it. While Jumpman/Mario starred in the game Donkey Kong, the two were pretty much put in other titles similar to that. Mario was then put in his own game called Mario Bros. Oh, hi, Luigi, who was probably around sometime already. Jumping ahead to Super Mario Bros., we see Princess Peach and Bowser. Go straight to Super Mario Land, and there we're introduced to a princess named Daisy.

Then there was Yoshi who came around in Super Mario World. He then had his own title Yoshi's Cookie, and then went on from there to having Yoshi's Island. There were probably some games in between at the time, but I'm not going to create a whole timeline for him. Somewhere along the way we got to see a character named Wario in the game Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. Then there was Super Mario Galaxy. Hi, Rosalina.

Even though all these characters I've mentioned have their own series, well, most of them anyway, they still branched off of a particular series, which is the Mario series. If anything, Mario characters are overrepresented. Play some Mario Kart or Mario Party. You'll still see most of these characters in a Mario game.

This guy, right here, knows what he's talking about.

Exaggeratedhonesty

Smash Champion
Nope.

The more colorful and interesting sakurai's team finds them, the more chances they have in being in the game.

Thats how nintendo handles their IP's. If something is interesting they will make a sipn off of them... and... wait why am i debating on the internet?

screw this, today is my day off. :troll:

Imber

Smash Cadet
I am excited for the first time I collect this item only for someone else to knock it out of my hands and destroy me with it. :facepalm:

D

Deleted member

Actually he doesn't considering Mario has sold 40 million units with his first game alone and Kid Icarus with all it's games combined...maybe 3m?
And that's why Kid Icarus has only 2 playable characters while Mario has 5 (potentially more if you want to count Yoshi and the unconfirmed Wario).

Nintendo's two other huge game series, Zelda and Pokemon, also have more representation than KI, each with 4 confirmed characters so far and potentially more.

So really, the claims about KI being over-represented are silly and not based in reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace

Don't complain about Pokemon not having enough items. Yes, pokeball is one item, but they make a ridiculous amount of character models... For ONE item! If anything, sakurai is biased towards Pokemon lolol

SAKURAI IS BIASED ABOUT EVERYTHING GUYS. Pokemon. Kid Icarus. Fire Emblem. Mario. Retro series. Kirby. Star Fox. SO MUCH BIAS :troll:

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
And that's why Kid Icarus has only 2 playable characters while Mario has 5 (potentially more if you want to count Yoshi and the unconfirmed Wario).

Nintendo's two other huge game series, Zelda and Pokemon, also have more representation than KI, each with 4 confirmed characters so far and potentially more.

So really, the claims about KI being over-represented are silly and not based in reality.
We are talking about items and smash run enemies, not characters.

Don't complain about Pokemon not having enough items. Yes, poke all is one item, but they make a ridiculous amount of character models... For ONE item! If anything, samurai is biased towards Pokemon.

SAKURAI IS BIASED ABOUT EVERYTHING GUYS. Pokemon. Kid Icarus. Fire Emblem. Mario. Retro series. Kirby. SO MUCH BIAS :troll:
Samurai? Who's Samurai?

Last edited:

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915
I'm a huge Daybreak troll whenever I play online. Spam the invisibility and invincibility powers while looking for the pieces then obliterate everything in sight.

Should be fun in Smash! :D

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I'm a huge Daybreak troll whenever I play online. Spam the invisibility and invincibility powers while looking for the pieces then obliterate everything in sight.

Should be fun in Smash! :D
RogersBase! I hate the Daybreak item! But i'm glad to see you here! :)

D

Deleted member

We are talking about items and smash run enemies, not characters.
What the heck is the point of only talking about items and Smash Run enemies when the most significant form of representation a game series can have in Smash comes in the form of playable characters?

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I haven't played Kid Icarus before, but damn this item looks so sexy!
Though, maybe that's my bias of oversized sniper guns showing through. I don't care what series it's from. It could be from Fire Emblem, Metroid, or Star Fox and I wouldn't care. I look forward to using, and fearing people using this item. :bubblebobble:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
What the heck is the point of only talking about items and Smash Run enemies when the most significant form of representation a game series can have in Smash comes in the form of playable characters?
To make their silly point about Kid Icarus's "over representation" sound less silly of course.

I also don't think it's being overreped because it has only two characters and two stages (so far), which is less when compared to Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Star Fox, Fire Emblem and Kirby; and it's an equal amount when compared to DK and Metroid. Items and Smash Run enemies are a nice addition but at the end of the day what you end up seeing the most are the fighters and the stages.
Also, this subject that series' content has to be proportional to sales figures is just an illusion that people make in their heads.

Last edited:

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
Not liking this at all. I hated the Dragoon item, it's the one item that I ALWAYS turn off when playing casually, a second one means another item to turn off, lovely.

Also, what the **** is up with so much Kid Icarus content in this game? Look, I understand Kid Icarus: Uprising was a unique game and Sakurai made it, but that doesn't mean you over represent it. I'm honestly surprised that Sakurai said Dedede was not added to Melee because he felt he was over representing the Kirby series when he does this in this game.
Much KI content in the game? Where? Until now, I only saw 2 characters, 2 ATs, one stage for each version and 4 items (Ore Club, X bomb, Killer Eye and now the Daybreak). There is nothing of "over representing" in just this.

In fact, Pokémon still stand strong as the most over represented IP in Smash series, because of the pokéballs and now the master ball, the high chance of having 6 playable characters (implying that Jigglypuff and Mewtwo will come back) and the pokémon enemies on Smash Run (Koffing, Gastly, Chandelure...)

JessieSmash

Smash Rookie
sup peples im in da gouse! anyways good item and good to see more KIU representation

Dunk Master

Smash Cadet
This Daybreak will break your enemies in no time.
All in a days work ;)

lol at the people complaining about having to turn another item off. My pity goes out to your cramped thumbs having to press A one more time.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
All in a days work ;)

lol at the people complaining about having to turn another item off. My pity goes out to your cramped thumbs having to press A one more time.
There is a button that turns them all off. After all the best way to play is NO ITEMS!FOX ONLY!FINAL DESTINATION! Nah, just kidding. Please don't flame.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Also, this subject that series' content has to be proportional to sales figures is just an illusion that people make in their heads.
Sales don't directly influence inclusion, but measuring sales is the best way to gauge popularity, which ultimately influences what's included in SSB. Sonic was added midway through development because he was popular, remember? How popular a franchise is influences it's content.

Mario and Pokemon have always been a step above all other series in terms of representation because they're widely popular.

Kirby didn't hit it big until the mid-GC era, and then Kirby got two more characters in Brawl.

Metroid's peak was also in the GC era, and it got another character in Brawl.

FE was fairly niche until Awakening, and now it doubled it's representation to four, albit with a clone.

KI went from one stage, one character, zero items to two characters, one stage (apiece), two ATs and a ton of items almost solely because of Uprising.

The only real exception to this is the inclusion of Wolf in Brawl, since the past few games didn't really top 64 in popularity, but he's a clone anyway.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Sales don't directly influence inclusion, but measuring sales is the best way to gauge popularity, which ultimately influences what's included in SSB. Sonic was added midway through development because he was popular, remember? How popular a franchise is influences it's content.

Mario and Pokemon have always been a step above all other series in terms of representation because they're widely popular.

Kirby didn't hit it big until the mid-GC era, and then Kirby got two more characters in Brawl.

Metroid's peak was also in the GC era, and it got another character in Brawl.

FE was fairly niche until Awakening, and now it doubled it's representation to four, albit with a clone.

KI went from one stage, one character, zero items to two characters, one stage (apiece), two ATs and a ton of items almost solely because of Uprising.

The only real exception to this is the inclusion of Wolf in Brawl, since the past few games didn't really top 64 in popularity, but he's a clone anyway.
In a way yes, however it's number of games and sales numbers shouldn't be used in a manner that determines what exactly needs to be in and in what amount. For example, I've seen people that said that Kid Icarus shouldn't have even have the same amount of playable characters as DK or Metroid because those series have been around longer and have had more games; don't get me wrong, I'd like more characters from those series as well but to go to those extremes and act offended at that...really? One ridiculous suggestion was that Kid Icarus shouldn't have added another character until Smash 5, a game that may or not happen several years from now.
The sad thing is that the sales figures argument is used in a lot of discussions to disguise most people's real concern: "I just want more content in accordance to my personal preferences". I even saw some people complain now that FE is being overreped in Smash; it's not even about fairness or equality in the end.

With Mario and Pokemon is not only the popularity that helps them, but also the huge amount of content they can provide to Smash Bros. They have a lot of characters and items to offer than can easily be included in Smash. Heck, Pokemon even has more than 700 potential characters at it's disposal. A series like Metroid doesn't have a lot of fighters to choose from aside from Samus herself.

Anyways, from my point of view, any additional content from any Nintendo game series is welcome. I don't even like Mother or F-Zero nor care about Animal Crossing or Punch Out but I was happy all the same to see characters from those series in Smash Bros. Any new fighters or items we get are more toys for me to try.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I was hoping Gamondorf's glorious red mane would grace the PotD but alas, not this time.

Raykushi

Smash Cadet
Actually a lot of people complained that Fire Emblem got four reps. I personally think FE deserves all of it's content, but that's just me.
I know people complained about it. I mentioned FE's reps because people were saying all the content for KI:U was due to bias, but FE's 4 characters can't be because of bias - he didn't make those games, and he doesn't even know enough about awakening to know that Robin can use Nosferatu, so it's not like he's a die hard fan of the game.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
@ Ryu Myuutsu Ryu Myuutsu
I get what you're saying. The difference between me and those people is that I'm applying this to what we've seen, while they're trying to apply it to what "should" be in SSB4. How popular a series is influences how much content it gets, but ultimately Sakurai chooses how that content is spread out.

I know people complained about it. I mentioned FE's reps because people were saying all the content for KI:U was due to bias, but FE's 4 characters can't be because of bias - he didn't make those games, and he doesn't even know enough about awakening to know that Robin can use Nosferatu, so it's not like he's a die hard fan of the game.
Actually, he is. The man loves his RPGs, especially the Tales series and Intelligent Systems RPGs. He put that in so it'd effect the main series, much like how Pit's redesign greatly influenced KI:U, or how Brawl's Halberd design influenced Kirby's remake and future games.

Remember Roy? He got into Melee because the beta of his game impressed Sakurai.

Top Bottom