• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

You know, just like Cloud outside of VII becoming Emo Cloud, what would other character become with poor representations of their original personalities.
Like:
Dead Aerith: she will die in less than 5 seonds of her appearance.
Baby (megaman) X: he doesnt fight at all, good luck trying totalk down an evil jedi furry mecha
Kool Sonic: C H I L I D O G T I M E
Not Dante: DmC
Other M Samus: not Samus.

Jakenimbus

Smash Apprentice
The Ultimate theme is performed by the singer of the japanese theme of Kirby: Right Back At Ya!

I won’t say more.
But this is smash bros. If this were Mario or Zelda or Kirby, then this would be fine, but this is a game about people fighting each other. I am not suppose to be hearing a sad song that won’t hype me up when I am playing with my friends and the energy in the room is intense. Brawl’s theme does a much better job hyping up while still incorporating sad elements.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I think it's absolutely possible that the Minecraft content could just be Mii Costumes, or even as trvial as Spirits content.

The reason it hasn't been shown?

Maybe to hide any inclusion or hint of a Microsoft partnership to crank Banjo hype to 1Billion when its announced.

Or it could just be trivial content and Nintendo just didnt make it noteworthy because theyre Nintendo.
If that's the way it goes, I suspect it to be like when Cloud was released as DLC.

Banjo & Kazooie for DLC, complete with music & stages. Bonus content includes Mii Fighters for characters like Bottles, Mumbo, and Minecraft spirits/Mii Fighter. Not a LOT of Mii Fighter outfits, but, still some stuff.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
I would just like to take a little attention away from dlc speculation and talk about ranking the themes.
1. Brawl: by far the best
2. Melee pretty good for its time and mass improvement over the first game
3. Smash 4: Was ok, could’ve hyped me up a bit more
4. Ultimate: the latest vocal version of the theme is absolute garbage. Has no place in smash bros and I hope we are using the instrumental one. If we are I would rank this no 2
5. N64: pretty bad
1. N64: Purely due to nostalgia, but then again, the build up to SUPER! SMAAAAAAAAAAAASH BROTHEEEEEEEEEEERS! still gives me goose bumps. People sleep on N64's soundtrack/sound design, but it's absolutely a major reason why the N64 game sticks with people to this day.
2. Brawl: This one theme defined 18 months of many people's lives. Incredible, epic, absolutely fits the scale and scope of what Brawl was.
3. Melee: I still like this one a good bit, especially the beginning when paired with Mario coming to life. I prefer its remixes, however, which is why it ranks lower.
4. Ultimate: I'm basing this ranking on its E3 "everyone is here" composition, because I was not feeling it, and I'm assuming this is supposed to be the game's main theme. If we were ranking this off the menu theme or Lifelight (vocal), this would absolutely be ranked above Melee. Both variants are great in their own way. I'm with you in that I'm normally not a fan of vocal themes, but this was presented so well and so emotionally resonant that it pains me to rank the main version so low.
5. Smash 4: It doesn't have any of the qualities of what made the other themes stand out, even if it isn't bad by any means. Kind of like Smash 4 in general, who knew?

D

Deleted member

If that's the way it goes, I suspect it to be like when Cloud was released as DLC.

Banjo & Kazooie for DLC, complete with music & stages. Bonus content includes Mii Fighters for characters like Bottles, Mumbo, and Minecraft spirits/Mii Fighter. Not a LOT of Mii Fighter outfits, but, still some stuff.
I said this possibility before.

D

Deleted member

I would just like to take a little attention away from dlc speculation and talk about ranking the themes.
4. Ultimate: the latest vocal version of the theme is absolute garbage. Has no place in smash bros and I hope we are using the instrumental one. If we are I would rank this no 2
1. Melee
5. Everything else
The first thing I'm doing when I get Ultimate is cranking the Melee menu theme to max and turning every other song off. Everything after Melee sounds like generic epic music, not dissimilar to something you would hear in any given MCU film.
64's character select is a 10 second loop so it barely counts.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
1. N64: Purely due to nostalgia, but then again, the build up to SUPER! SMAAAAAAAAAAAASH BROTHEEEEEEEEEEERS! still gives me goose bumps. People sleep on N64's soundtrack/sound design, but it's absolutely a major reason why the N64 game sticks with people to this day.
2. Brawl: This one theme defined 18 months of many people's lives. Incredible, epic, absolutely fits the scale and scope of what Brawl was.
3. Melee: I still like this one a good bit, especially the beginning when paired with Mario coming to life. I prefer its remixes, however, which is why it ranks lower.
4. Ultimate: I'm basing this ranking on its E3 "everyone is here" composition, because I was not feeling it, and I'm assuming this is supposed to be the game's main theme. If we were ranking this off the menu theme or Lifelight (vocal), this would absolutely be ranked above Melee. Both variants are great in their own way. I'm with you in that I'm normally not a fan of vocal themes, but this was presented so well and so emotionally resonant that it pains me to rank the main version so low.
5. Smash 4: It doesn't have any of the qualities of what made the other themes stand out, even if it isn't bad by any means. Kind of like Smash 4 in general, who knew?
lol I have some backward-*** tastes then because Smash 4 is my favorite game in the series and has the best theme in my opinion

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
In Spanish it says the equivalent of "And the winner is: X", maybe it changed in English too, I remember a lot of people unhappy with the "X: wins!"

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
I haven't seen anyone talk about this so I thought I would ask it here. How do you think the dlc sets will be released? Do you think the release of each set will be evenly spaced out until Feb 2020 or do you think that they will all be released around the same time a year from now?

Sakurai has stated that it takes around a year to develop a new character from scratch, but I feel like it makes more business sense to spread out the releases and that the first set should be released earlier than a year from now. This is why I feel like Sakurai maybe lying when he says that they haven't started working on any of the dlc yet.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I do think most of us older smashers need to realize that our favourites in todays world are the same as ice climbers were to us in melees run. Characters we want are just outdated and newer series, priorities have appeared.

Issac is great, but unless you played his game 3 gens ago, almost 15 years ago, he is no. Ore recognizable than ice climbers.

Even my boy Goemon is 13 years late given his last relevant game.

osby

Smash Obsessed
1. Brawl.It's not even a competition.
2. Ultimate. It's really hype, especially its lyrical version.
3. Smash For. Build-up was pretty good and the rest was consistently enjoyable.
4. 64. FUNKY!
5. Melee. Why is this theme only works in the opening?

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I think DLC #1 will be either announced or released at the same time as Piranha Plant, and Piranha Plant might be pushed by the wayside in favor of the new character

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I haven't seen anyone talk about this so I thought I would ask it here. How do you think the dlc sets will be released? Do you think the release of each set will be evenly spaced out until Feb 2020 or do you think that they will all be released around the same time a year from now?

Sakurai has stated that it takes around a year to develop a new character from scratch, but I feel like it makes more business sense to spread out the releases and that the first set should be released earlier than a year from now. This is why I feel like Sakurai maybe lying when he says that they haven't started working on any of the dlc yet.
I honestly thought that the DLC was going to be released two or three months apart from one other, with Piranha Plant being in February, then two or three months later for each of the five DLCs, so February, May, August, October, December, and finally February 2020

blackghost

Smash Champion
I honestly can only see the supposed "Square rep" be Geno, now. After the legality rabbit hole @NonSpecificGuy dropped about Sora, then you add on how Dragon Quest is practically held back by a nationalist, and unless NieR: Automata is coming to the Switch, there's no way I see 2B making it in at all.

And those are the three other "big ones" I see that are Square reps, besides Geno. I don't even see Noctis making it in because while yes, Final Fantasy XV is on a Nintendo console, it's the Pocket Edition. It doesn't seem like that's "high priority" for them.

And given how Final Fantasy is labeled, I literally only see another Final Fantasy VII character getting in or Geno.
i'm not calling you specefically out just this argument, becuase it ignores what SE is as a company. SE has more characters within Final fantasy that could be chosen let alone extending out to characters like laura croft and others.
to me it makes very good sense to make smash dlc continue to satisfy dream mu like they did in 4. link vs. cloud for instance. laura croft vs Samus two (some would say THE two) female videogame icons and Laura is one of the most well-known video game characters in the world. As ofr your comments on nier, it seems platinum and the director of the game want it to happen and knowing nintendo it would be easy and popular to annouce the DLC of 2b with an announcement of the game coming to switch

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I feel that's somewhat flawed. As with any ranked mode, how do you get to the top? Using the tippest of toppest characters. The best of the best, which means really you're only getting a scope of The As and S Tiers, with some B/C Tiers showing off. Unless the goal is to see who gets to the top the quickest to try and nerf them, it doesn't give the chance for characters that end up being lower tier from being analyzed and seeing where their flaws are.
...That is certainly a legitimate complaint. If the lower-tier characters are never seen in Elite Battles, Nintendo is going to have a hard time knowing how to buff them, leaving them in the patchless limbo state Jigglypuff and Dedede were in for Smash 4. And that would be sad.
You know, with all these awesome details about classic mode, the idea that there's much more to World of Light and Spirits mode than we thought, I had to wonder.
Where the hell were these awesome biscuits of info on Thursday?!

Lord knows they'd have filled those 40 minutes better than stuff like Options, Help Menu and whatnot.
True, and also, where is my freaking Stage Builder?!?
Speaking of Spirits, do you guys think we’ll have to fight the DLC characters in Spirits mode after buying them?
I kinda doubt it as an unlocking mechanism — the Smash 4 DLCs were just given to you. The DLC Characters might not be put up on the Spirit board either, since that is meant to be Event Match-esque with a side of Master Orders... but DLC characters showed up in Special Orders as well, so... maybe?
Yo guys, made something for my DLC choices!
Hope you guys like it!

View attachment 175463
JESUS, that is scary-looking. And, hold on, why are there 6 sets of eyes there- oh... wait... why is Kazooie not in the backpack?

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
People still think Nintendo will put a 90s character that a small group remembers over the second best selling game in history? Like jeez, I get it, yall have nostalgia, but apart from that Minecraft is more important in every way.
It’d be hella cool if both Steve and BK could be in, BK could just be a skin for Steve of Mii Fighter, but Neither Nintendo nor Microsoft would act like BK is more important than Minecraft and it deserves to be a fighter more.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I do think most of us older smashers need to realize that our favourites in todays world are the same as ice climbers were to us in melees run. Characters we want are just outdated and newer series, priorities have appeared.

Issac is great, but unless you played his game 3 gens ago, almost 15 years ago, he is no. Ore recognizable than ice climbers.

Even my boy Goemon is 13 years late given his last relevant game.
Exactly. This is exactly how I feel. He's not known by the younger audience.

osby

Smash Obsessed

DLC development works differently than base game development, though. Also they started to work on DLC, remember :ultpiranha:?

blackghost

Smash Champion
I feel that's somewhat flawed. As with any ranked mode, how do you get to the top? Using the tippest of toppest characters. The best of the best, which means really you're only getting a scope of The As and S Tiers, with some B/C Tiers showing off. Unless the goal is to see who gets to the top the quickest to try and nerf them, it doesn't give the chance for characters that end up being lower tier from being analyzed and seeing where their flaws are.
i disagree. if you never see characters within a certain rank you know they need help to get there. this also ignores any internal testing or data nintnedo would be collecting as well. the flaw is if the only use elite battles for data, then characters that are good offline in tournaments like i suspect bayonetta and shiek to be, but arent as good online they may escape being tweaked. thats the real fear. characters potentially like ike, marcina, corrin, cloud, and others that are easy to play but can get wins to rise on rank may get overnerffed.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
I don't think it affects Steve's chances at all, but I wouldn't want him in over Banjo or Master Chief. I'll use the Avengers movies to better explain why:

Banjo=MCU Spidey

Master Chief=Batman showing up in the Avengers

Steve=?

He's owned by Microsoft, but he wasn't made by them and he isn't exclusive to them either. There's not a comparison I can make here, but Minecraft just doesnt have a feeling like that. It's more about how big Minecraft is, and Microsoft's attachment is in name alone. Like a parent signing a consent form to have their child particpate.

Understand that I don't hate Steve and am not opposed to his inclusion, but it'd just feel underwhelming to me that he'd be the Microsoft character Sakurai asked for.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
DLC development works differently than base game development, though. Also they started to work on DLC, remember :ultpiranha:?
I was referring to the fighter pass characters, and didn't Sakurai say in the direct that they haven't started working on the dlc characters for the fighter pass yet? And didn't Bayonetta take around a year to develop?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I don't think it affects Steve's chances at all, but I wouldn't want him in over Banjo or Master Chief. I'll use the Avengers movies to better explain why:

Banjo=MCU Spidey

Master Chief=Batman showing up in the Avengers

Steve=?

He's owned by Microsoft, but he wasn't made by them and he isn't exclusive to them either. There's not a comparison I can make here, but Minecraft just doesnt have a feeling like that. It's more about how big Minecraft is, and Microsoft's attachment is in name alone. Like a parent signing a consent form to have their child particpate.

Understand that I don't hate Steve and am not opposed to his inclusion, but it'd just feel underwhelming to me that he'd be the Microsoft character Sakurai asked for.
Fair enough, but a lot of us didn't want Ken or Incenaoar, or Bayonetta or Corrin. I think DLC will have one or two characters the hardcore Smash community wants (that are relevant) and the rest will be characters the general audience can relate too (aka Steve)

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
1. Ultimate: The instrumental version is a complete masterpiece. It' sounds like an epic fighter as it should be
2. Brawl: The theme was hype at the time and hasn't aged a bit. It still has the grandiose Smash Bros feel to it.
3. Melee: It's fine, but outdated. Some nice bits here and there.
4. Smash 4. Yeah I wasn't huge on the theme here. It tried to do what Ultimate and Brawl did but tumbled along the way. Also doesn't work as a menu theme.
5. Smash 64. It was good for its time, but yeah it is lacklustre compared to the bombastic themes that followed it. The CSS theme is still ballin' tho. (And I hope it plays when you open a menu with just the O8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom