• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
You know before this leak people assumed there wouldn't be a retro NES character this time due to limited newcomers.

So I don't know why people are doubting Mach Rider could easily be the assist.
I don’t know if pre-leak speculation really trumps getting a retro representative 3 games in a row so far.

Chrono.

What if Mach Rider being an AT is just leak bait (when actually he's a character) and the banner is still real? :bigthink:

I just have a hard time calling the leak fake personally (although I think I trust Mystic)
Like with every insider, I'll just take everything with a grain.

As it stands I'm still pretty 50/50 on this whole deal.
You know before this leak people assumed there wouldn't be a retro NES character this time due to limited newcomers.

So I don't know why people are doubting Mach Rider could easily be the assist.
We're just weighing our options here.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Assuming is very dangerous when speculating. I prefer to keep my sights set on things that require less assumptions of human behavior.

Bandai Namco is in a joint production with Sora to make Smash, and an unknown number of the Bandai Namco staff have previously worked on Tekken. That is what we know. We also know that Tekken 7 and Smash Bros. Ultimate are handled by different publishers, different directors and different marketers. Treating the assumption that Sakurai would naturally do the same thing a separate director did for Tekken 7 as an established fact isn't something I want to do.

But you guys go ahead.
I never said it was established fact, but it's worth bringing up for sure. If it was just that tweet, then yes I would think it'd be a reach to assume, and it still very well might be. But on top of that we have plenty of rumors stating that false information is being put out there as well as Sakurai's comments on trying to especially keep this game's security under wraps. It's not a definite obviously, no one's treating it as such. But it's a point worth bringing up once you look at it from multiple angles.

Shroob

Sup?
Untitled.png

After seeing the insanity this one image has brought, this kinda sums up my own feelings on it as someone who's deep into #TeamHMMM territory.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The strange thing is why not just include him anyway? More people especially the insiders would believe it.
If I were making a fantasy roster in a believable format where I was genuinely trying to trick everyone into thinking it's real, I probably wouldn't put Incineroar in either. Just because I don't like the character.

Geno, Isaac and Banjo are the new holy trinity of **** people have wanted for over a decade. They're wish fulfillment. Ken and Shadow are the two most obvious echoes left that anyone would believe. Mach Rider is the crazy out-of-nowhere character every Smash game has-- except Sakurai has apparently tried to put him in Smash before, making him believable by the greater community. Incineroar, before this leak made the rounds, was essentially just Verge's primary prediction. And people didn't want to believe him anyway because no one was ready to accept the Box Theory. It was only after the Grinch leak happened, to my knowledge, that every leaker and his mother said "Incineroar is definitely in".

So if you're making a fanfiction roster but trying to make it believable, Incineroar is, like, the least necessary addition possible, until you retroactively apply every leaker's assertion that he's in the game, and not just Verge's.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Amen to this, I got a bunch of rum, wine, beer, and a whole bunch of food, carbo-loading to prepare for this direct!
I've never felt the need for booze more in my life than this week.

I can't wait to play as Randy Jackson in ultimate
You absolute fool.

Paula Abdul is right there and she has a perfect echo fighter.

I for one will be maining MC Skat Kat.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I believe Ken, Geno, Chorus Kids, and Isaac are the most likely in that order and probably all in. Banjo might make it Verge's Minecraft info is true, but even then it's hard to tell. Shadow could just come back as an assist although he seems popular. If Mystic is to be trusted, then I think the assist has to be Mach rider. He's the most dispincible and makes the most sense as an assist. I still think the grinch leak is real though

Akiak

Smash Ace
Or maybe the source(s) saw Mach Rider being worked on and assumed AT rather than character

Although with them specifically stating that the AT is 'confirmed to be announced' and 'will be revealed as such' I'm not so sure

Sweddy

Smash Rookie
Funny, seeing this compressed version of the leak, the new characters look fake like out of place... hmmm...
They look out of place because it's a small image, your mind instantly jumps to it and they look out of place, after seeing the high-quality version on the website. My view, anyway.

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
On the subject of Geno and SMRPG, why is it that literally every single stage suggestion for that game I've seen is Forest Maze? Is it simply because you recruited Geno there? That place isn't memorable at all! There are much better stage choices, such as Bowser's Castle with Exor on the background serving as a hazard, Monster Town with Culex as a stage boss, or Barrel Volcano occasionally switching to the Axem Rangers' ship. Even Star Hill is a better choice because it actually has legitimate connection to Geno.

But no, every single fake leak and wishlist wants only Forest Maze, as if nothing else is available.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Please God don't let Geno be an assist trophy. Getting the rights for that is worse than just not having him for me. Every time I see him I'd just cry at what could have been.

Tinarg

Smash Cadet
On the subject of Geno and SMRPG, why is it that literally every single stage suggestion for that game I've seen is Forest Maze? Is it simply because you recruited Geno there? That place isn't memorable at all! There are much better stage choices, such as Bowser's Castle with Exor on the background serving as a hazard, Monster Town with Culex as a stage boss, or Barrel Volcano occasionally switching to the Axem Rangers' ship. Even Star Hill is a better choice because it actually has legitimate connection to Geno.

But no, every single fake leak and wishlist wants only Forest Maze, as if nothing else is available.
If we get a SMRPG stage, I'd love it if they killed two birds with one stone and gave us Bowser's castle. How have we gotten this far without a stage rep for Bowser?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm to going sleep, gotta get up bright and early so I can start the season two poster. It'll probably be done in a few days.

You guys play nice while i'm out.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Please God don't let Geno be an assist trophy. Getting the rights for that is worse than just not having him for me. Every time I see him I'd just cry at what could have been.
Turn off the Assists.

If we get a SMRPG stage, I'd love it if they killed two birds with one stone and gave us Bowser's castle. How have we gotten this far without a stage rep for Bowser?
Because stage reps aren't a thing? Where are the stages of Ike or Bowser Jr.?

I'm to sleep, gotta get up bright and early so I can start the season two poster. It'll probably be done in a few days.

You guys play nice while i'm out.
I mean... I want to promise but you know we won't.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Here's the dream

We get a direct showing off Ken and Incineroar initially.
Then it moves on to Geno, then Banjo
The internet is going wild
Isaac, Shadow, Mach, everyone is there
Then they show the updated Mural
It is completely different from the leaked one lmao

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
I just remembered that as third party Assists are a thing, Banjo or Geno being an assist isn't impossible lmao
I'd only bet on third party assists from major companies if they are already represented. For example, I understand Bomberman being an AT because Sakurai already had to go to Konami for Metal Gear and Castlevania content. Therefore I could see the (unfortunate) scenario of Geno being an AT because they're already working with square for Cloud. I don't think we'd ever see Banjo as an AT, and if we did it'd only be after another MS character like Steve or Master Chief.

Yes I know there's Shovel Knight, but I feel like he's the exception because it's not like Yacht Club Games has a wide range of IPs to pull from, it's just Shovel Knight, and I'm sure it was much less of a hassle to get Shovel Knight as an AT then it would be to go to a major third party JUST for an AT. The money to use an IP from a major third party likely wouldn't be worth it without a character.

I speak to this guy on discord and i asked him why it's fake, someone counter it please ?
This argument just boils down to "it could've been faked" which no one argues against. It's the fact that there are so many precise details not only in the image but in the context and story surrounding it that would make the work to pull off a fake like this seemingly astounding.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
You’re not going to change anyone’s mind, the people who think it’s fake won’t take any leak seriously (for good reason), and the ones who think it’s real believe in the large amount of evidence that’s been presented. Occam’s razor says it’s real, for what it’s worth.

The idea that a French guy decided to choose the 5 characters that were posted about in a leak in a /v/ thread is unlikely, to say the least. We will see soon enough who’s real and who isn’t

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Here's the dream

''Baltimore Area Man Goes Insane, Believed to Be Racist, Streaks Through Harbor Shouting ****ing Japanese Man!"

More at 11.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Castle Seige has elements from the Tellius games, so Ike isn't necessarily valid here. Everybody else, however, is.
"If fake, whatever, if real then hey that's cool that roster is awesome"

That's an outlook we should all have, honestly. We're gonna know in just a couple weeks, max.
This is literally my mentality, every day of the week.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Here's the dream

Oi you're forgetting Chorus Kids!

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
"If fake, whatever, if real then hey that's cool that roster is awesome"

That's an outlook we should all have, honestly. We're gonna know in just a couple weeks, max.
It's kind of a shame all the hate being thrown around over something that, like you said, will be solved so soon.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I can now confirm that there is indeed an Eric Bricard on Snapchat.

No idea if it's the same one working at ACP, but there is one all the same.

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
You’re not going to change anyone’s mind, the people who think it’s fake won’t take any leak seriously (for good reason), and the ones who think it’s real believe in the large amount of evidence that’s been presented. Occam’s razor says it’s real, for what it’s worth.

The idea that a French guy decided to choose the 5 characters that were posted about in a leak in a /v/ thread is unlikely, to say the least. We will see soon enough who’s real and who isn’t
How do we know he's 100% French, maybe he was born in America. We don't even know if Eric himself leaked the image.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Castle Seige has elements from the Tellius games, so Ike isn't necessarily valid here. Everybody else, however, is.

This is literally my mentality, every day of the week.
Elements, but nothing as a direct reference.
There are dozens of castle thrones you take in every FE game, it'd help if they'd chosen some more unique landmarks.

D

Deleted member

I see everyone is still going crazy about the leak.

TheYungLink TheYungLink You are damn right SMT is as important as Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

blackhazard0

Smash Rookie
Well, after lurking for like three days I finally decided to make an account to start posting here.

As for the leak, honestly I really don’t know anymore. I’d definitely like for it to be real as all the character choices are solid (though if I’m being honest I really just want Banjo). I will say if it’s fake and all these characters don’t get in, I’ll be disappointed but likely will get over it pretty quickly. Ultimate is going to be an amazing game regardless!

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'd only bet on third party assists from major companies if they are already represented. For example, I understand Bomberman being an AT because Sakurai already had to go to Konami for Metal Gear and Castlevania content. Therefore I could see the (unfortunate) scenario of Geno being an AT because they're already working with square for Cloud. I don't think we'd ever see Banjo as an AT, and if we did it'd only be after another MS character like Steve or Master Chief.

Yes I know there's Shovel Knight, but I feel like he's the exception because it's not like Yacht Club Games has a wide range of IPs to pull from, it's just Shovel Knight, and I'm sure it was much less of a hassle to get Shovel Knight as an AT then it would be to go to a major third party JUST for an AT. The money to use an IP from a major third party likely wouldn't be worth it without a character.
Castlevania, Metal Gear and Bomberman still have different creators, it's not like Sakurai just negotiated them in one go.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Smash speculation has been quite the rollercoaster on this ocasion. We got insiders info, pixel analysis and glitch and earthquake conspiracies and this is just for today. Wow. Putting my amusement aside…...

I wonder why people think that it is easier for Sakurai to throw the pokemon pattern away but not to throw away the retro character pattern. Pokémon is a huge franchise and could be treated as second party. It gets special treatment due to how big it is (I am not speaking about smash but within Nintendo as a whole). This is the game for fanservice and that is why huge and popular franchises got characters besides the characters added due to popularity. I doubt that retro character #4 would be considered for the game as more important than a pokemon character. Is there anything I am missing here? I hope no one takes this the wrong way. I am just curious.

The strange thing is why not just include him anyway? More people especially the insiders would believe it.
Anyway, to answer your question, I believe it has to do with Incineroar kinda bizarre design. He isnt a human character, his proportions are a bit weird, and on top of that you need an iconic pose using that design. The only image leak that has been done for him could only design one single paw. Its probably pretty easy to mess up when trying to work with it (going under your assumption that the leak is fake).

Last edited:

Sweddy

Smash Rookie
It's kind of a shame all the hate being thrown around over something that, like you said, will be solved so soon.
Agreed, we may even find out in just a few days, too. If we get that direct on the 1st, 2nd, that's admittedly unlikely, but hey I can dream!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom