• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Guys, what if instead of any leaks being true, Ragna The Bloodedge is the final newcomer of Smash? Best reveal ever right? /s
whenever i hear that name all i can think about is when Joel from Vinesauce when he read that characters name

"it's the most linkin park, kingdom hearts, deviantart crap name ever"

i forever associate Ragna as the deviantart OC XD

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Regardless of whether it's fake or not, this leak will be what defined Ultimate's speculation for me. It'll either be the time the Grinch leaked Smash, or the time we were made fools of by the Grinch, both realities will be hilarious in retrospect.

NineS

Smash Lord
even in chibi form they can make 2b thicc >u>
Unrelated, but if 2B joins, Bayonetta is gonna have competition.

Snake would've beat these two by default, but uh.. You know... They nerfed him from behind.

wonder if they can still make 9s look insane in chibi form.

EDIT: Just remembered. Wario and King Dedede beat these two by default.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
You know. That is not a bad idea for a mechanic. I had his down b as impact, but making it upgrade his weapon silver and gold, with each hit he drops a level. Would be a good mechanic.

Good idea.

Goemon saves pierre in the manga. And qas buds with simon in the rpg.
Thanks. Actually I thought instead of wasting a special move on it, i'll make it a smash hit just like Peach (frying pan, tennis racket, golf club). Goemon (bronze, silver, gold) ;)
Thanks for the mention too.
qas buds? this totally escapes me. Which rpg are we talking about? MSX, NES, PS2, GBA, PS.. I don't think I came across this before.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Regardless of whether it's fake or not, this leak will be what defined Ultimate's speculation for me. It'll either be the time the Grinch leaked Smash, or the time we were made fools of by the Grinch, both realities will be hilarious in retrospect.
Yeah, that will be fun to read on the wiki

Shroob

Sup?
I never played Goldeneye back when I had an N64.

The thought of playing an FPS on that monster of a controller is horrifying now.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Okay, with the current knowledge, here is my current guess. Just fun to wonder...

Ken, Shadow, Incineroar, Isaac, Chorus Kids for base.

Plans of Banjo and Sora for DLC. I just can't shake this feeling of Sora.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
A proper remake.
I mean, it was about as proper as it could be, minus putting Pierce Brosnan back in the game.

The problem is that Goldeneye isn't really that fun to play when you go back to it. Shooters have come a long way since then. They tried to bring it back with modern graphics, new sound, Wiimote aiming and online multiplayer. No one liked it.

Some things withstand the test of time when you go back to them twenty years later, like Super Mario Bros. 3. Goldeneye is not really one of those games.

EDIT: Honestly, Nightfire is the best Bond game, IMO. It was the Gamecube-era last hurrah of the Bond FPS games.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Actually, if anything, Goku's recent success in FighterZ and upcoming major appearance in Jump Force would likely hurt the chances of his publishers wanting to put him in Smash. There's such a thing as diluting your product.

You can play as Goku in Xenoverse? Awesome!!!
You can play as Goku in FighterZ? AWESOME!!
You can play as Goku in Jump Force? Awesome.
You can play as Goku in Smash Bros.? Awesome?

I realize that Ryu is in every Capcom fighter, but the Street Fighter side of Capcom vs. ______ isn't exactly the fan service that gets people excited. Goku is different. He sells **** on his appearance alone. You don't want to over-saturate the market with guest appearances and lose the unique appeal of announcing him in your own products.
The problem with this logic is that him appearing in Dragonball games? Not a huge shocker. Central protagonist and all that. He's been there. Done that.

Him appearing in an anime crossover fighting game? Well, no duh. He's one of the most iconic faces in the genre. If not THE most iconic face in the genre. Been there. Done that as well.

Him appearing in Smash Brothers and fighting Mario, Sonic, Ryu, Pac Man, Mega Man? Etc? Crossing over with video game giants? Goku's never officially done that before.

And of course that just brings hype back to the product all over again, because Goku is being acknowledged now as not only a media icon but an icon of the video game medium. So it loops back and people buy Xenoverse, FighterZ, Jump Force, etc.

D

Deleted member

I don't see it. Sometime my signture doesn't show up either, not sure why.
Oh, well in that in here it is;
My Current Gaming Tier List:

Godlike: Super Smash Bros, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Yakuza, Shin Megami Tensei

Absolutely Amazing: Metal Gear Solid, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Castlevania, Resident Evil, Golden Sun, Mega Man X, Xenoblade Chronicles, DOOM.

Pretty good: Dark Souls & Bloodborne, Ninja Gaiden, Contra, Fallout.

Meh: Pokemon, Mario.

Trash Needs Severe Improvement: Fire Emblem

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Plans of Banjo and Sora for DLC. I just can't shake this feeling of Sora.
Agreed something tells me Sora will be DLC to commemorate Kingdom Hearts III. It wouldn't surprise me if he's announced as the first DLC character for that matter to be released in January.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The problem with this logic is that him appearing in Dragonball games? Not a huge shocker. Central protagonist and all that. He's been there. Done that.

Him appearing in an anime crossover fighting game? Well, no duh. He's one of the most iconic faces in the genre. If not THE most iconic face in the genre. Been there. Done that as well.

Him appearing in Smash Brothers and fighting Mario, Sonic, Ryu, Pac Man, Mega Man? Etc? Crossing over with video game giants? Goku's never officially done that before.

And of course that just brings hype back to the product all over again, because Goku is being acknowledged now as not only a media icon but an icon of the video game medium. So it loops back and people buy Xenoverse, FighterZ, Jump Force, etc.
You're not wrong at all. But a company can see either outcome as a possibility. And unlike the other games I mentioned, Bandai Namco at least-- not sure about his other publishers-- stand to make much less money off an inclusion in Smash than a proper DBZ game. The question is, do they need any further fan engagement or exposure when it's ****ing Goku? Will Jump Force sell more or less if Goku's in Smash? I'd argue less, but someone else could argue more.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Actually, if anything, Goku's recent success in FighterZ and upcoming major appearance in Jump Force would likely hurt the chances of his publishers wanting to put him in Smash. There's such a thing as diluting your product.

You can play as Goku in Xenoverse? Awesome!!!
You can play as Goku in FighterZ? AWESOME!!
You can play as Goku in Jump Force? Awesome.
You can play as Goku in Smash Bros.? Awesome?

I realize that Ryu is in every Capcom fighter, but the Street Fighter side of Capcom vs. ______ isn't exactly the fan service that gets people excited. Goku is different. He sells **** on his appearance alone. You don't want to over-saturate the market with guest appearances and lose the unique appeal of announcing him in your own products.
Actually not at all... Goku promotes the hype of Fighter Z, but you have to go play Fighter Z to play as other Dragonball favorites such as Cooler or Android 21.. And if Vergeben is truly for real then I guess Kale is coming soon (to Fighter Z) as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You're not wrong at all. But a company can see either outcome as a possibility. And unlike the other games I mentioned, Bandai Namco at least-- not sure about his other publishers-- stand to make much less money off an inclusion in Smash than a proper DBZ game. The question is, do they need any further fan engagement or exposure when it's ****ing Goku? Will Jump Force sell more or less if Goku's in Smash? I'd argue less, but someone else could argue more.
You know, unpopular opinion, but if Smash did include Jump characters for whatever reason, I'd be okay with it. That timeline will never happen, but if Sakurai wishes to include them, then why not?

They better include Yuuske and Gon though, or there will be hell to pay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
>Goku debate again.

Going around circles are we?

See folks this is why we desperately need a Nintendo vs. Shonen Jump game.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Oh, well in that in here it is;
My Current Gaming Tier List:

Godlike: Super Smash Bros, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Yakuza, Shin Megami Tensei

Absolutely Amazing: Metal Gear Solid, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Castlevania, Resident Evil, Golden Sun, Mega Man X, Xenoblade Chronicles, DOOM.

Pretty good: Dark Souls & Bloodborne, Ninja Gaiden, Contra, Fallout.

Meh: Pokemon, Mario.

Trash Needs Severe Improvement: Fire Emblem

*ahem*

I mean, uh. We're all entitled to our opinions.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I used some long train rides to think about the leak and my stance on it this weekend... I especially tried to seperate my emotional wants from the rational facts.

My first conclusion is, there is definetly bias for the leak to be true, myself included. Of course, it is human nature to more easily accept facts, that strengthen your own wants and believes, in this case, for the majority of people it is definetly more hype to get 7 more characters, let alone some fan favourites, instead of 2, maybe 3 including Ken and Incineraor... This is also heavily boosted by the information draught and more and more heated discussions about box theory before the leak. You can easily see that bias, if you turn the argument around: If the box pattern would suggest 7 more fighters instead of 2, people would still be all over it, and if the Grinch leak only had Ken and Incineroar on the banner, people would have easily dismissed it as the final roster.

That said, there are still arguments for and against the leak, that, for me, haven't been eliminated:

For
- the circumstances (pictures with work environment, the accidently (?) revealed name, the companies he worked for) are very peculiar and makes this much more compelling than other picture leaks, let alone text leaks
- the character arts and poses are very interesting and unique, espacially Isaac (kneeling, using growth, with djinn) and Chorus Kids (literally noone has ever thought of including the conductor), also, as far as I know, the character arts haven't been found as being based on already existing ones, which was a surefire way to prove leaks wrong in the past
- some insiders believe it is true

Against
- the backround discrepancies, although some peole tried to explained that away, it still seems fishy to me. Again, if you turn this argument around and the backround woul exactly match the banner after Isabelle, people would have definetly used it to prove the leak is real...
- the reveal timeline, 7 characters definetly feels too much to reveal in 1 month, also why not reveal 1 or 2 in october, if there is still 7 left
- 7 more characters (16 new overall) goes completely against several statements Sakurai made (don't expect to many new figthers, a few more to announce before K.Rool and Isabelle, have gone a little bit overboard with the fighter reveals in an interview)
- Incineroar missing, Vergeben (and other insiders) are still adamant about him being in, the explanations for him missing don't really convince me
- many insiders believe it is fake

So, my conclusion to this is, that I'm still undecided, leaning a little bit over to the fake side right now. The only thing that seems highly likely to me is Ken being in, time will tell about the rest.
Sorry for the wall of text, just had to get this out of my system... :)

Last edited:

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
Well, this is a little experiment of mine, I tried to recreate the leak and add The Chorus Kids to the banner (in 5 to 10 minutes, so quick)

The blurriness sure helps to the leak, sometimes I forget how easy it's to fake something...

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Honestly it is doubtful Bamco would even have a say in the matter considering they don't own Goku in the first place. If rights to Goku were to be gone for it wouldn't be through Bamco

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
Wow look at me! I'm a leaker now, I took a photo of MY version of the leak with my camera, I'm now ready to post it on 4chan!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom