• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I don't disagree!
Though I'm under the sneaking suspicion that he replaced his arms with robotic prosthetics.

That's what the toy gun was for. One of his arms can transform.
That makes a lot of sense. The final Smash reveal could be him revealing his robotic arms

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
I’m reading this thread on v about gamexplain a leak efforts and just read tsunko the rhythm heaven composer has cancer.

That could actually be why Sakurai revisited the chorus kids to begin with to honor the composer. Especially after Iwata. I’m pretty sure Sakurai is friends with them too as he has connections all throughout Nintendo.

So it actually makes a lot more sense for chorus kids being in.
Tsunku has been living with Throat Cancer for many years now. It's why he hasn't performed the vocals for any songs for Rhythm Heaven in the last few years. In fact, his daughter did a great performance in the Bee Remix of Megamix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5agexzl7i80

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I'm hoping that his entrance animation adds a little "Steve has Joined the game" at the bottom left corner of the screen.
And when he dies, it will say "Steve has died"
Either that, or make it a little fun gimmick for a Minecraft stage
bonus points if it uses actual death messages from the game. "Steve was doomed to fall by Ganondorf"

Last edited:

IcyBrawler

Smash Apprentice
So, out of these Capcom characters, rank them by how much you would wan to see them in Ultimate;

Dante
Leon Kennedy
Amaterasu
Phoniex Wright
Monster Hunter
  1. Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil is one of my favorite series and Leon is my favorite character)
  2. Phoenix Wright (I really liked him in UMvC3 and I would like to see him in another FG)
  3. Dante (also a cool character in MvC3)
  4. Amaterasu (this might also be a cool character from MvC3)
  5. Monster Hunter (was from MvCI so less cool)

D

Deleted member

Here's something.

Why don't people try to tell me their best guess for the next (smash) direct. The date, the time (include time zone), the intro "surprise", the outro "surprise", and the meat of the direct in the order you expect it.

If enough people guess someone's bound to get something right :denzel:
Super Smash Bros. Direct, November 1st:

-Opens with Sakurai, who is dressed like DJ Octavio-

Sakurai: "VEEMO"

-Octoling reveal trailer plays-

-Cuts back to Sakurai, holding a loaf of bread-

Sakurai: "Bread is pretty cool."

-I am Bread's Bread reveal trailer-

-Cuts back to Sakurai, who is working on a jigsaw puzzle with a Shadow the Hedgehog plush-

Sakurai: "GUH-HUH" *Shadow plush takes out a Shadow the Hedgehog gun and shoots puzzle pieces*

-Banjo & Kazooie and Shadow the Hedgehog dual reveal-

-Cuts back to Sakurai, who is dressed as a mixture of the Grinch and Mach Rider-

Sakurai: "What the heck even is Mach Rider, a guy, or a girl? Seriously, please help me, my team and I are confused."

-Mach Rider and Grinch dual reveal trailer-

-Cuts back to Sakurai, who is trying to use his magical powers to grow a plant while dressed as Geno-

Sakurai: "Never ask me for anything ever again."

-Geno and Isaac dual reveal trailer-

-Cuts back to Sakurai, who is finally dressed normally-

Sakurai: "Spirits is SSE2. Online doesn't suck anymore, and single player is now good again. Incineroar is your first DLC. Oh, and one more thing..."

-Sakurai spins around, magically transforming himself into a Sans Undertale cosplay. He then proceeds to do the Fortnite default dance, ending with a dab that blasts a Kamehameha wave-

Sakurai; "Get dunked on."

-Sans, Fortnite Fighter, and Goku reveal trailer-

D

Deleted member

I'm hoping that his entrance animation adds a little "Steve has Joined the game" at the bottom left corner of the screen.
And when he dies, it will say "Steve has died"
Either that, or make it a little fun gimmick for a Minecraft stage
If you're on PictoChat, you'd get "Now Entering A: Steve?" and a "Steve? has joined the game" popup.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So anything new on the leak?
ACP-PLV video on how it works got deleted another piece of proof for team real

And no spamming smash comments not a excuse could have just deleted the videos

And it was a Sunday and the video is not new it was 2 years old

And confirmed Bamco makes bait leaks so incineroar can potential be bait now.

KMDP

Smash Legend
So, if the leak is real... What music do you guys want to see from the following franchises?
(Links, please, I want to keep our mobile users in good condition)
Super Mario RPG
Banjo Kazooie
Golden Sun
Rhythm Heaven

Here's Mine
Fight Against Monsters (Super Mario RPG)
Freezeezy Peak (Banjo Kazooie)
Isaac's Battle Them (Golden Sun)
Remix 4 (Rhythm Heaven Fever)
Golden Sun music
Vale
Having Fun (to be honest it would probably be part of a Tolbi/Colosso medley)​
I would not be surprised if this song shows up while discussing Isaac's techniques, because it shows up while Flint/Echo are describing how Djinn work.​
Mercury Lighthouse (this is the most unappreciated Lighthouse theme among the four)
Jupiter Lighthouse (the least appropriate of the four for a battle theme)
Battle! Isaac (the obvious choice)​
Battle! Saturos (everyone's favourite, if this doesn't show up in some capacity I'll be incredibly surprised)​
A personal want of mine is "The Storm"​
Battle! 2 Player (one of the forgotten Battle themes of the Golden Sun series)​
"Battle! Felix" and "Battle! Doom Dragon" are already in Smash, so they don't need to be listed. There are other battle themes, but I don't think they are as good for Smash in particular.​

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Despite folks saying he should retire, take a break or have a vacation are very mistaken because Sakurai is quite a workaholic. He enjoys his job, I doubt he's gonna stop after Ultimate.
Yeah, plus it's a cultural trait. Take Eiichiro Oda, who likes working on One Piece so much that he lost sleeping time over it, iirc. It's a way of life.

Last edited:

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
  1. Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil is one of my favorite series and Leon is my favorite character)
  2. Phoenix Wright (I really liked him in UMvC3 and I would like to see him in another FG)
  3. Dante (also a cool character in MvC3)
  4. Amaterasu (this might also be a cool character from MvC3)
  5. Monster Hunter (was from MvCI so less cool)
I'm sorry..... but non of these Amazing fighters are getting in in the base roster

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Well, there is confirmation that Namco Bandai and Harada have used leak bait before.

And with them being on board the development for this game, it could very well mean that leak bait like Incineroar is at hand.

Quite exciting a mystery, this is growing to be!
Oh shoot, I didn't catch this earlier. That's very exciting to hear!

IcyBrawler

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry..... but non of these Amazing fighters are getting in in the base roster
I don't think anyone claimed they were, we were just having fun talking about characters that would be cool (hypothetically) to show up in the game -- maybe even as DLC.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
I don't think anyone claimed they were, we were just having fun talking about characters that would be cool (hypothetically) to show up in the game -- maybe even as DLC.
This DLC would be a dream come true!... However likely,

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Looking at this just makes me even more confused as to why Sakurai would pass up on Bandana Dee.
I'm assuming its largely priority during development. When there's only development time you 10 newcomers, you probably start with the third parties (the biggest contractual obligations, so Banjo, Simon, and Geno) and then would move on to the characters who would represent new series, as getting them in was probably seen as a big deal (Chorus Kids, Inkling, Issac, Mach Rider). This only really left develop for 3 more characters, with Ridley, K. Rool, and Isabelle taking priority due to their popularity.

My guess is Bandana Dee is in a Wario situation. Really unique, important in their home series, and requested from fans, but there just wasn't enough time to see them come to fruition.

D

Deleted member

So let's hear some trailer ideas for the leaked characters.

I'll start with geno:

It's the Smash 64 opening with geno awakens playing and after the dolls are set up to fight on hyrule castle, one leaps off the shelf and joins the fight.

We see it's Geno with "Geno Whirls in" as the tagline.
I've always imagined that a trailer for Banjo & Kazooie would start off on an empty Battlefield before Banjo comes into view from the side and knocks on the screen, OG intro style.
Requesting a 3rd party to remove a 2 year old video because of harassment is some flimsy reasoning.
It feels like people forgot that you can disable comments and ratings on YT videos.
Could still be the reason if someone didn't know about that functionality, but still.
Monster Hunter (was from MvCI so less cool)
MvCI was a good game please leave it alone

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
So, does anyone have any moveset ideas for the leaked characters. I dont know much about them, and only really want them in so others are happy.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I want in the base roster also, but I feel Simon stole his thunder.
Castlevania is slightly larger of a series, especially when you take the west into account.
Did you know, despite Goemon being on a hiatus for a long time, just now Castlevania caught up with the number of games Goemon had. So it's really not any larger (I know you meant fan base). Still, no one can steal Goemon's thunder, he has his own unique thunder like no other. So yeah, they got a vampire hunter, great. Did this game ever got a flashy hot headed ninja form the edo era. Does ANY of those 70+ charcaters offer the chance of Japanese folk music, no.
Only Goemon can add that ;)

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Bandana Dee I see being DLC for sure. Too popular and demanded to pass up not to mention one of Sakurai's babies, more the reason to get in.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
So question for team fake and team real.... What is the number one reason you believe the leak is fake or real? If you're in the middle, what's your number one reason for each?

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I do feel bad for him too but not the way you're thinking but the crap he's given such as death threats, harassment and such from people most notably the Waluigi fans.

Like really? This man is pouring his heart and soul into this game being the Ultimate by giving fan favorites like :ultkrool:and:ultridley:had been requesting for years and this is how you repay him!? You people shouldn't even call yourselves fans at all!
I mean, I don't remember this being a problem before Ultimate, at least to this extent. Sakurai probably has other things to care about, but yeah, he does work a lot. Getting tendonitis at one point really says a lot about what he does.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
With box leak and Vergeben the idea was hey let's look at this cast and appreciate what we already have and be wishful and hopefully we might get more surprises.
Pfft. That's a bit of a glorified way of looking at it. Let's not forget that those are used a lot of times to shut down speculation. And of course, stare down coldly at folks saying that anyone of those last two wasn't a gurantee.

At least now, speculation is more open to the idea that we'll get even more without the overbearing nature of the box theory reigning supreme like it used to.

Doc.Pringles

Smash Cadet
So I noticed a strange logo/text in the original leak when playing with contrast levels, which appears to read as "REGARY" or "MEGAOX" or "MEGAOV", etc etc .. It also appears to be a part of a logo, with some lines sticking above it as if it was cockatieling.

See image below for reference. Side note, I found a handful of other items that appear strange, some that support the leak, and some that deny it. Note, I don't have a lot of time, so the illustration is a little rushed; I'm not familiar with GIMP, and don't have PS. Notes below in CCW order.

1. This is a snapchat story, not a message. Note the "11s ago". This does not show up on direct messages. Similarly, I find it suspicious that whoever viewed this story saw it within 11 seconds, and was so quick to take a snapshot..

2. ..especially considering this was a single-view story, as indexed by the timer at the top right. The screen-capper had to be quick.

3. I know Artsy Omni already went through the in-depth analysis of the background and areas that appear brushed, but I don't think he addresses how much darker these areas are than surroundings. The image below highlights the waterfall, crystal, and lava-flow in particular, with the outlined areas showing the boundary of darker "brushing". I'm sure there are more, but I'm short on time. (Don't mind the white scribbling, Paint was being fussy..)

4. The edges of the 2nd and 3rd bracelets don't match. It's pretty obvious if you zoom in, but this may be lighting? They don't appear to be alternating per the next observation.

5. The lower bracelet that is covered up appears to match when you tamper with contrast and leveling. The white strips at top line up, the yellow cloud, the blue sky, the red cloud, and smash emblem all jive.

6. The most interesting point for me. Notice that you can make out words in the red switch area covered by paper. I'm not sure if these is an imprint on paper, some sort of transparency underneath, or what. I was hoping one of you may be familiar, or are more capable of playing with light levels to figure this one out.

Thoughts?

https://i.imgur.com/PJe3msv.png

Closeup.png

(Special thanks to @Billybae10K and u/ItWasRacoons , as I noticed the logo from watching Billy's latest vid)

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
My DLC predictions (not including Incineroar if he is DLC):
Bandana Waddle Dee
Springman
Rex/Pyra
Sora

I’d say Skull Kid, and I would want him, but I have this feeling he’s a boss character.

D

Deleted member

Castlevanis has such excellent newcomer potential. Soma Cruz, Alucard, Charolette, Jonathan Morris, Shanoa, and so much more.

Hell you could probably make a fighting game of Castlevania characters if you wanted to.

Alchadylan

Smash Cadet
Novemember 7th Midnight CET
AND the big thing is, it's not a Direct, it's a new 50 Fact Extravaganza.
I won't list 50 things, but here are examples of stuff they could reveal:
Opening (so facts 1 & 2):
INCINEROAR brings others to heel!
KEN joins the fight!
They are in as the last base game fighters
The 32 player tourney
A lot of stuff about the Spirits mode (it's basically Subspace 2)
New item, Beast Ball, works like Pokeball but summons Ultra Beasts (Poipole, Naganadel, Buzzwole, Pheromosa, Xurkitree, Guzzlord, Stakataka, Blacephalon)
Some other new items, including the Paper Mario sprout
Some new ATs, including the second Indie assist, SANS
Some details about the buffs and nerfs
That and some more would make for 50, then, when we think it's over, we get
#51: About DLC
then we get a cinematic trailer for the first batch of DLC (Q1 2019):
BANJO & KAZZOIE make a rare appearance! (got the caption from a fanmade splash card)
SORA has the key to victory!
STEVE joins the game (itsaminecraftreference)

BONUS: I don't think Dante's getting in any time soon, but if he ever does his splash card should be "DANTE from the Devil May Cry series is featured!"
B&K's splash screen better be Banjo and Kazooie get jiggy with it

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Castlevanis has such excellent newcomer potential. Soma Cruz, Alucard, Charolette, Jonathan Morris, Shanoa, and so much more.

Hell you could probably make a fighting game of Castlevania characters if you wanted to.
They did, unfortunately it didn't have the best choices in terms of mechanics, control scheme or much of anything.

IcyBrawler

Smash Apprentice
MvCI was a good game please leave it alone
I got MvCI and I thought the gameplay was actually good. But everything else about the game was just super mediocre to me. The DLC lineup was pretty good (I didn't really like the Marvel side though, Venom/Black Panther was cool but Winter Soldier and Black Widow over Vision/Ant-Man/Scarlett Witch, etc?)

Unfortunately Capcom decided that they want to pretend the game doesn't exist, leaving the game with no support. Honestly after a bad launch and a bad DLC cycle and now no more support, I kinda want to forget the game exists too. Sad but true.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My DLC predictions (not including Incineroar if he is DLC):
Bandana Waddle Dee
Springman
Rex/Pyra
Sora

I’d say Skull Kid, and I would want him, but I have this feeling he’s a boss character.
I think Rayman is another obvious choice if not because of Nintendo's and Ubisoft's great relationship. Plus he appeared as a trophy in Sm4sh. I'd actually be surprised if he didn't make DLC.

Few others to boot too.

Edelgard (To promote Three Houses)
Gen 8 Pokemon (To promote the next gen Pokemon)
Ribbon Girl as an echo to Spring Man
Sylux (To promote Metroid Prime 4)

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
My guess is Bandana Dee is in a Wario situation. Really unique, important in their home series, and requested from fans, but there just wasn't enough time to see them come to fruition.
Well, at least with Ultimate unlike Melee there's always DLC.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I wouldn't sleep on Phoenix Wright's chances.

Considering how Sakurai has been photographed and documented to have been hanging out with Shu Takumi and Hideki Kamiya at a time frame during 2016 which fits in Ultimate's development cycle. As well as Capcom saying that this would be a big year for Ace Attorney fans!

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So beyond which team you are on, the Incineroar stuff is such a huge mystery and brings a lot of curiosity. I honestly think the whole"leak bait" angle is ridiculous because its almost unanimous across the board that Incineroar is happening. You don't bait leakers by telling everyone in their brother that Incineroar is coming. You bait them by telling each person something different so you can track it back to who it came from. And to assume that every one of these insiders has the same source is just blind to whats going on and has happened so far. They are convinced hes coming, which means the evidence is substantial.

So either:
A) The leak is fake and Incineroar is infact base game.
B) He is day 1/ early DLC.
C) The mural is not complete

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What was this about a taken down video?

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Also, damn. Leon gets not respect here still lol. Ya'll need to play some Resident Evil.
I'm still not convinced on how he would work without realistic guns. I love my man Leon, one of my first cosplays even, and RE4 is one of my favorite games. But honestly? I can't see him work. Shotgun and handguns are a must for a Leon moveset, but if realistic guns are out, he'd be limited to knife, fist and rocket launcher, which isn't as interesting and clashes with Snake.
Also if he's ever in he needs the RE4 alt costume in a gangster suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom