• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I think this is a good counter-argument.
For some reason, Twitter is hiding that reply at the bottom. I don't really have anything on the rest of your post, but still, I'm 50/50 on this leak.
But Ness is already unlocked in the demo, and the demo and 1.0.0 build have seemingly identical trademarks. As I pointed out, the argument could be that the version number was superimposed after the fact-- but there's no reason to do so because it's kinda blurry, out of the way, and in general something people wouldn't be looking for.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
My first games were White version and Pearl version. I'm also 17.

X and Y is one of the better animes. Black and White is one of the worst ones.

Smell you later, Gramps!
What's the opinion on the Sun and Moon anime? I've seen a few episodes, but it didnt seem that bad besides maybe the dubbing of some voices

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I'm not sure anyone's noticed this with all the leak discussion but:

Apparently Meltan is the first Mythical Pokemon to be able to evolve.

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Woah, woah, calm down. While I think the case of the marketing being "terrible" is over-exaggerating, they dropped the ball by releasing every single character trailer at the start, when they could have released them when the character was blogged about, so that even when there were lulls (thanks to the bad pacing, which even Sakurai seemingly acknowledged himself) we'd have something to talk about.

That's not terrible by any means. Certainly not ideal, either.
They did not "drop the ball" and you KNOW THAT FOR A FACT. HOW, no tell me, HOW are you then supposed to sell Smash Ultimate then? HOW are you supposed to sell what could literally be the biggest game Nintendo has ever released in the past 35 years and their biggest game on the Switch without having a massive draw?

Look at Smash 4, the insane reveals of Cloud, Bayonetta, and Mega Man, the internet-breaking reveal for Snake in Brawl - you can't just simply go "hey, here's some characters and we'll reveal more down the line" all over again. We've done this three times now, and a fourth would be absolute overkill.

What would be the biggest way to appeal to all fronts, whether you are a Nintendo, PlayStation, Xbox, PC fan, normie, casual and/or hardcore? You bring in EVERYONE. Make the impossible possible. Go for Kingdom Hearts 3's and Final Fantasy VII Remake's throats for how big an E3 reveal can go. And look what happened? Everyone went insane.

Ridley was the cherry on that sundae, and with us getting more and more, such as K. Rool, and other fan favorites like Chrom and a new third party, I just simply cannot see how this has been "dropping the ball" at all. Maybe it's the toxicity rubbing off me, I really am trying not to sound like some high crusader, but I just cannot see one way or another how Smash Ultimate's overall cycle has been imperfect anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh its true. :4roy: (Roy can even be used as the official cool emoji)
More like official tacky emoji

I think it's only reasonable to say that is it possible? Yes. But it's not just the difficulties in making the artwork itself convincing, it's also all of the circumstances surrounding it that appears to be way more elaborate than seems reasonable. Doesn't mean it can't be that elaborate and fake, but it makes it much more unlikely to be fake.
Agreed. I don't know how much more we can analyze the pic, btw. It feels like leaker will play a bigger role at finding if it's fake or not.

...or we can't, and just debate until a direct saves us from ourselves.

D

Deleted member

My God it's been that long?
You people are making me feel old.
And I'm barely into college.
I'm dreading the day when I'll try to bring the Game Cube up in discussion and someone says "What's a Game Cube?" That's what'll make me feel old, lol.

I then start thinking about how Brawl was 10 years ago. Goodness, where does the time go?

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Well then, I wanna see your work.
I did this as a quick joke that took under 10 minutes.
tQEkd8e.jpg
The left is the leak and the right is mine. Currently the miis occupy this spot. Likewise this was more serious and took about 30 minutes.
miis.png
This was me trying to move the miis to where they are in the leak. Currently R.O.B and Luigi occupy this spot so I had to delete them. Keep in mind however that if I were to attempt to due what the leak has done, I'd erase all the characters first then create a blank battlefield and just copy and past characters from the actual mural provided by Nintendo, as opposed to trying to move each character one at a time.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

But the Grinch didn't stop the hype train from running! It ran!

Or not...

Last edited:

Espio264

Smash Ace
To hide the flaws and not have to put in more effort with the character renders.
Then what’s the payoff? Faking this image, staging it in a print shop, having the Grinch stuff visible, and just over a month before the game really releases? And the whole thing with the guy’s name. If it was never real, why stage that only to not get in trouble over a fake image for ****s and giggles?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Never Speak to me or my son ever again

D

Deleted member

I love how before that leak appeared we were all eager to hear what those insider knew especially GameExplain with their """totally lucky guess""" about hinting at some Characters and how they get things right magically.

And the moment there a leak everyone want to believe, people hate and harass those people because they come forward and says that the leak might be false.

What the **** people?
I never ever believed any of the insiders for the very fact that I don't find them to be very genuine in most cases, and the fact that many have been wrong before, yet people still brigade behind them, treating their words as dogma. I've always been skeptical at best of their claims. But then again, I don't frequent these boards often anymore due to that very fanboyish bandwagon mentality where people don't think for themselves anymore, they just parrot popular opinions.

So I'll give you that.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1055452816628568065
Recently had a teaser of the 1.0 build in a Japanese commercial... and seemingly no additional trademarks.

It would be very, very weird to superimpose 1.0.0 in post production over a non-final build of the game; after all, unless you're specifically looking for it and squinting, you aren't going to notice it at all. And you can't use the character unlocks excuse, because all the trademarks seem to be there which would imply the roster is fully or sufficiently unlocked.

What people don't seem to get is that the Grinch part could be entirely real yet separate from the leak. The person clearly has talent either way; it's very possible their current job is working on promotional material for the Grinch and they drew up the Smash stuff on their free time and used company tools to print out a couple of things (people do it from time to time with copiers and stuff; I don't see it being unrealistic here). Stuff like the type of paper they're using does't really confirm anything; as of now, it's a rollercoaster ride of trying to prove things while stuff pointing towards it being fake is beginning to pile up-- on top of the fact you'd have to liberally interpret something Sakurai has stressed (not a one off comment from over a year out in the publicity cycle) and think they somehow were going to reveal 5 unique newcomers in a month-- two of who are blatant wish fulfillment. On top of basically every insider being on the fence or personally thinking it's fake.

As-is, it's more of an uphill battle at this point to prove it's legitimacy than it is to assume it's fake.
Not gonna lie I'm kind of biting my nails here in anticipation. I can see a few things happening:

1. Kencineroar is real Grinch leak is fake
2. Grinch leak is real and Kencineroar is fake
3. Neither are real and the roster is going to be a complete surprise.

I'm hoping for 2 or 3 myself. 2 would mean my 2nd most wanted is in, some characters I kind of like (Isaac and Banjo) are in, and my remaining most wanteds (Skull Kid and Spyro) could be prime DLC candidates (unless that really is Skull Kid next to Mach Rider to which my point stands). If neither are real then everything's thrown for a loop and we could get all these cool characters or a whole bunch we have no idea of.

At this point I'll be pretty content as long as Kencineroar isn't the last.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the mural wasn't blurry in the first place. It was after we zoomed in to find the characters that it became so blurry. So I'm not sure that argument works here. Again I could have the details mixed up.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I still think Incineroar isn't too out of the question...
But Medusa's another story...
The only plausible echoes imo are Dixie Kong, Ken, and Shadow
Is Medusa a echo? I guess we'll have to wait and see when she is revealed as a new fighter and I believe she will be revealed as a new fighter very soon.. It could even be within the next character announcements.

Noipoi

Howdy!
What's the opinion on the Sun and Moon anime? I've seen a few episodes, but it didnt seem that bad besides maybe the dubbing of some voices
It's complicated...
As opposed to the usual formula, Sun and Moon takes the slice of life approach. Some think it's cute, some think it's boring. I stopped watching the anime years ago but from the few episodes i've seen I can say the quality fluctuates. Some episodes are legitimately good, some are boring slogs.
This season will be over by next year so maybe the community will come to a consensus by then. Probably not.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Also for anyone that says "oh the company confirmed it's fake"

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
I think it's only reasonable to say that is it possible? Yes. But it's not just the difficulties in making the artwork itself convincing, it's also all of the circumstances surrounding it that appears to be way more elaborate than seems reasonable. Doesn't mean it can't be that elaborate and fake, but it makes it much more unlikely to be fake.
I would have been the case if the resolution was higher and not a tiny one, everything is far more simple when you work on a low resolution but it becomes really difficult with a high one because you could see all the errors. That's why generally you work on a far higher resolution and when your work is done you reduce it , it will hide some imperfect lines or painting for example.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Today I had a class on Fake History and News, and something my professor said got me thinking in regards to Smash. In these cases, misinformation isn't spread around by one singular person, but rather, by a group of them.
People have been saying this is too much effort for one person to fake, and that it means it's likely real with all these details. But what if it wasn't just one person? What if this was a fake leak coordinated by multiple people who each focused on making one aspect of it to look real that, when combined, looks completely legit?
Additionally, he also mentioned the concept of half-truths, which are easier to propagate than full on lies. What if the Grinch isn't the key here, but rather the bait? What if that's an actual legit piece planted into the leak to give it more legitimacy? (And this one is more on a tangent as I have no real experience on the area but would two completely promotional materials be handled by the same people, in the same room, and get them all mixed with one another?)

Pyra Pyra
ARE YOU READY FOR ROUND 2, BABY?

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Recently had a teaser of the 1.0 build in a Japanese commercial... and seemingly no additional trademarks.

It would be very, very weird to superimpose 1.0.0 in post production over a non-final build of the game; after all, unless you're specifically looking for it and squinting, you aren't going to notice it at all. And you can't use the character unlocks excuse, because all the trademarks seem to be there which would imply the roster is fully or sufficiently unlocked.

What people don't seem to get is that the Grinch part could be entirely real yet separate from the leak. The person clearly has talent either way; it's very possible their current job is working on promotional material for the Grinch and they drew up the Smash stuff on their free time and used company tools to print out a couple of things (people do it from time to time with copiers and stuff; I don't see it being unrealistic here). Stuff like the type of paper they're using does't really confirm anything; as of now, it's a rollercoaster ride of trying to prove things while stuff pointing towards it being fake is beginning to pile up-- on top of the fact you'd have to liberally interpret something Sakurai has stressed (not a one off comment from over a year out in the publicity cycle) and think they somehow were going to reveal 5 unique newcomers in a month (two of who are blatant wish fulfillment for very small but very vocal parts of the community). On top of basically every insider being on the fence or personally thinking it's fake.

As-is, it's more of an uphill battle at this point to prove it's legitimacy than it is to assume it's fake.
Did you not read this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArkhaosZero/status/1055466197553242112

This guy destroyed Push's argument. In previous games, the copywright text would appear after you unlock characters. Same could be said for version 1.0 of Smash ultimate. Additionally, we don't know how many characters are unlocked in the commercial lol

A.K.A, don't be so quick to dismantle the leak yet again

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I just think it's funny (sad) that one of the characters I got most excited for was an elaborate hoax. Of course it'd be me.
Isaac better not be a hoax or the "leakers" who rumored him will GET THESE HANDS!

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I mean If this leak isn't real, then the guy who made it has to be the craziest person in the world going out of their way to make incredibly boring cardboard cut-out models using promotional material from the upcoming Grinch movie because he's thinking 47 steps ahead and knows that both Bandai-Namco and Universal studios contract the same obscure French marketing company. To this end, he then got himself an office, printed out the name of an employee of said company, and haphazardly half blurred out the name because, once again, he's some kind of super genius beyond the mental capacities of mortal man and he knew that the internet's crack team of cybersleuths would find his red-herring name in seconds.

This absolute Einstein of social engineering also happens to moonlight as an expert artist and after presumably spending hours carefully cutting and pasting characters from the Smash poster, he then went out of his way to produce 7 more drawings of his own with obscure elements like vines for Isaac that hardly anyone would be able to make out, and then, for the fun of it, he saw to making a completely unique drawing of the blank version of Battlefield just because he could. He made sure that this fake roster of his perfectly mirrored one posted on 4chan last month by someone whose first language clearly isn't English because he knew that people would immediately make the connection to the French marketing company that he is pretending produced this image. The fact that 5 new characters lines up with the 5 missing stages from Corocoro was all part of his master plan. He also made sure this coincided with Nintendo renewing relevant trademarks.

The lengths you have to go to believe that this is all an incredibly elaborate leak would make this man one of the most intelligent people to ever walk the Earth. This guy would be more competent than the entire government of Saudi Arabia when it comes to fakery.
I suggest you think about which outcome is likelier here.
Not cool, man. It looks pretty bad when your first post is blatantly stealing somebody else's work.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
To be fair, this thread's moving very fast so I'll try to fill you in:

As of yesterday there's a new leak called the Grinch leak (called that because there's promo art for the Grinch movie in the picture as well). It's a blurry SnapChat image that seems to show every character shown so far as well as Ken, Shadow, Isaac, Geno, Mach Rider, Banjo, and Chorus Kids (and possibly Skull Kid too but that could be Mach Rider's bike). Everyone's trying to find out whether it's real or fake and there's arguments for and against both sides. The guy who posted the blurry leak seems like he works for a company in France and does graphic design, but no word on whether the guy's current company is linked to Nintendo. Some insiders like Serebii are saying the leak is fake. One says they know Banjo is real but not sure about anyone else. One says there's another newcomer not on the banner and it's not Incineroar.

I think that's about it. :)
Grr, that Serebii says it's fake. Well he will be proven wrong, he doesn't go well/along if he says the opposite.

Raspberry

Smash Journeyman

Why do you say that all trademarks seem to be there when we can't know that for sure? They may have added only the trademarks we know to the title screen (thus not unlocking any unknown newcomers in the build they used) so they wouldn't spoil anything, even if it's version 1.0.0.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
They did not "drop the ball" and you KNOW THAT FOR A FACT. HOW, no tell me, HOW are you then supposed to sell Smash Ultimate then? HOW are you supposed to sell what could literally be the biggest game Nintendo has ever released in the past 35 years and their biggest game on the Switch without having a massive draw?

Look at Smash 4, the insane reveals of Cloud, Bayonetta, and Mega Man, the internet-breaking reveal for Snake in Brawl - you can't just simply go "hey, here's some characters and we'll reveal more down the line" all over again. We've done this three times now, and a fourth would be absolute overkill.

What would be the biggest way to appeal to all fronts, whether you are a Nintendo, PlayStation, Xbox, PC fan, normie, casual and/or hardcore? You bring in EVERYONE. Make the impossible possible. Go for Kingdom Hearts 3's and Final Fantasy VII Remake's throats for how big an E3 reveal can go. And look what happened? Everyone went insane.

Ridley was the cherry on that sundae, and with us getting more and more, such as K. Rool, and other fan favorites like Chrom and a new third party, I just simply cannot see how this has been "dropping the ball" at all.
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm not talking about the "Everyone Is Here" trailer, that definitely should have stayed at E3. I'm not even talking about the stuff afterwards, even though I SAW FIRSTHAND WATCHING REACTIONS that non-Smash fans were alienated with how in depth they went and were turned off with how long they went on about it.

I'm talking about THE CHARACTER TRAILERS that were revealed on the website, which would make no impact on "Everyone is Here"--it would just allow for more info to be spread out more evenly.

I don't mean to use caps lock, because it makes me look like I'm shouting--but, you're shouting at me, so hopefully that helps in some way (I don't think it does, though).

Iridium

Smash Hero

Yeah, Aurane Aurane told me and some others in the NintenZone yesterday.

It's pretty good!

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Exactly. “A lot of effort”.

Why would they leak a tiny, blurry image after a lot of effort.
Because then it'd have to be a lot of professional-level skilled work for it to pass off as the real thing (as in, copy the artist's style to a T and redraw perfectly a lot of elements). This is a lot of work, but it's not hard work, could be made in a day or so. The fact that it is tiny is more proof to me that it is supposed to hide away details that would give it off than the contrary.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The time between E3’s showcase of the banner background image and the posting of the recent leak is enough time for a person to create a banner leak of immense scale and solid skill I feel.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm not talking about the "Everyone Is Here" trailer, that definitely should have stayed at E3. I'm not even talking about the stuff afterwards, even though I SAW FIRSTHAND WATCHING REACTIONS that non-Smash fans were alienated with how in depth they went and were turned off with how long they went on about it.

I'm talking about THE CHARACTER TRAILERS that were revealed on the website, which would make no impact on "Everyone is Here"--it would just allow for more info to be spread out more evenly.

I don't mean to use caps lock, because it makes me look like I'm shouting--but, you're shouting at me, so hopefully that helps in some way (I don't think it does, though).
Though why would Nintendo go the route of relaying huge, pertinent info in a blog of all things where most people won't see it? Not in this day and age, where most people's eyes would be on a Nintendo Direct. Not to mention, they've made the sentiment very clear after a week or two that the blog would mostly be for celebrating the roster, so I don't see how that's bad either.

Don't get me wrong, I do see where you come from; people don't know the logistics of handling a schedule of events if you're working on a collaborative project anymore, I guess.

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
Then what’s the payoff? Faking this image, staging it in a print shop, having the Grinch stuff visible, and just over a month before the game really releases? And the whole thing with the guy’s name. If it was never real, why stage that only to not get in trouble over a fake image for ****s and giggles?
Having fun and showing your skill for example on a boring day, it's not a uncommon thing but the person behind it maybe didn't know it was going to become a huge deal with some bad consequences.

Last edited:

google chrom

Smash Apprentice
I mean, it's not like that speaks to your tastes or makes your opinions lesser or anything.
It's gotta be a real crusher though for something that's been "leaked" so many times where it seems like it would be a lock, just to have it be false information from everyone. Because you'd also feel secure in thinking that character you love was gonna be in.

F

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Neutral on this, mostly lurking. But I love how the smash community went from thinking Minecraft Steve was in bc of Verg to completely disregarding him.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
The good part about this is that finally the wait become interesting!! After Isabelle's reveal the speculation turn a little boring

D

Deleted member

But the Grinch didn't stop the hype train from running! It ran!

Or not...

Thank you small might, savior of the leaks

First grinch and now deku, whats next? Shrek?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom