• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It's not that weird. Every smash game save for Smash 64 ended in an odd number roster. None of the numbers were clean
Melee has 26 characters and Smash 4 ended with an even number after DLC.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Well.... the whole roster may of been leaked
Everything.

Possible banner leak--small and blurry, but clean leak. Characters moved around like it has previously. Characters are Banjo & Kazooie, Isaac, Geno, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, Shadow and Ken. The person is purported to be a graphic designer for a French print company with ties to Bandai Namco from an uncovered LinkedIn account, matches a profanity laden text leak from Sept. Major grains of salt, but omfg if true.
Uh, interesting. I'll be on the safe side and bet it's fake to save me later.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
If this new thing is true and there aren't any new 'mons in the base roster, nothing saying we couldn't get one as early DLC before Gen 8 is out.

And if they picked one from Gen 7 now...well, Dusk Lycanroc would probably stand out the most after everything that's happened, so I'd be willing to play the long game.

For the record, I'm neutral on this thing so far. Not sure whether to believe it or not.
Gen 7 is on the out next year. It's way more likely Sakurai will pick a new gen 8 Pokemon for dlc plus the Pokemon Company/Gamefreak would prefer promoting the newest Pokemon.

Pegg

Smash Rookie
Unsure if anyone has pointed this out, but something I find amusing is that Grinch movie apparently releases on November 9th, right around when people that speculating the next direct would be.

Grinch confirmed wow!!!!!!!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
*sigh* I hate this thread so much...

You people really think you're going to get 7 more character reveals with only a month left until the game comes out?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Melee has 26 characters and Smash 4 ended with an even number after DLC.
Melee only has 26 if you count Zelda and Sheik as separate. In this case, we'd be counting PT as one, to create the number 79. In this case, Melee would have 25 characters. If you count them as separate, then Melee would have 26, and Ultimate would have 81.

But in this case, the website counts PT as one, at least as far as the CSS count goes.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I think what gets me is just how more or less all 5 of these newcomers tie into EVERYONE IS HERE.

Banjo, Isaac, and Geno? Probably THE three big names of this cycle left after Ridley and K.Rool.

Mach Rider and Chorus Men? Sakurai wanted Mach Rider in Melee, and we KNOW Chrous Men were going to be in 4.

Everyone really IS here.
Skull kid tho

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

From /v/
"someone pointed out that the banner is probably the same kind Nintendo has used for big events in the past. Maybe they'll display it at the upcoming November tournament? This would imply a direct revealing all these characters beforehand."

Shroob

Sup?

You people really think you're going to get 7 more character reveals with only a month left until the game comes out?
Even if it's fake, it's more fun to speculate on this than literally ANYTHING else we have for the last month.

"Why yes, I'd like to discuss box theory again." Said no one ever.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
It's clouds, seriously. Not Gardevoir/KOS-MOS/whoever you wanna see...

It's clouds, ROB's base and the smoke trails coming from Luigi all coming together to make an inkblot of clouds and wishful thinking.

link2702

Smash Champion
I’ll mention something that i did in the geno boards after sassy geno got debunked, don’t get too excited for any new leaks y’all, there’s some pretty decent photo shop users out there as we’ve already seen.

I don’t see nintendo (or square for that matter) panicking and trying to do damage control yet, which they would be by now if geno got leaked, regardless of if it was along with the whole cast(more Nintendo than square on that), the image being really blurry means the uploader didn’t have to worry about getting all those designs exactly right to fit the mural, just “close enough” and the blurriness makes it hard to spot the issues.

Now don’t lose hope on those characters shown though, as each definitely is a fan favorite that many both expect (well except mach rider of course, she’s kinda outta nowhere), and want(even if no one expected her I’d say though we’ll definitely welcome mach rider in though). All I’m saying is after the “sassy” geno fiasco, it’s safe to say someone can make a “convincing” leak so long as they blur the hell out of the image.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Now that it's going out alot...I want to say something, about Sakurai.
If this leak is true/real, then I feel very bad for Sakurai, they were so close to pulling off new characters without being leaked.

Okay, now it's time for the real question: who is team real and who is team fake?
I'm leaning toward the team real.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800

It's really hard to ignore the fact that a guy is throwing his job away over this. That's why I think this might be legit. I agree the character count is beyond what I anticipated, but is that fact alone enough to invalidate the context behind this leak?

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Gen 7 is on the out next year. It's way more likely Sakurai will pick a new gen 8 Pokemon for dlc plus the Pokemon Company/Gamefreak would prefer promoting the newest Pokemon.
They would not add anyone from Gen 8 until after Gen 8 is out. The only time we've ever seen a newcomer join Smash before their game released was Roy, and not only was he a last minute echo fighter, his game was originally going to be out before Melee but underwent a delay late in development!

For example, Corrin was added as DLC about 7 1/2 months after Fire Emblem Fates made its debut in Japan (in late June 2016). We'd probably see a similar window for a Gen 8 newcomer, arriving around Spring 2020 at the earliest.

The whole "add them right away to promote their games" angle gets brought up a lot, but we've never actually seen a case of them deliberately pushing a character in early! So, Gen 7 will still have a window of opportunity of roughly 11 months more after Ultaimte's release no matter what happens.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
They would not add anyone from Gen 8 until after Gen 8 is out. The only time we've ever seen a newcomer join Smash before their game released was Roy, and not only was he a last minute echo fighter, his game was originally going to be out before Melee but underwent a delay late in development!
Greninja was added to Smash 4's roster before Pokemon XY released.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably jumping the gun, but I am leaning toward it being real. In the previous two cycles, I held out hope that the rosters were false because the cuts were devastating to me (Roy and Mewtwo/Lucas, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Wolf, Ice Climbers), even though they had the ring of truth. Since there are no cuts this time, everything is gravy, so I am pretty happy for any new characters at all.

And we still have potential DLC coming, so it's not even the end. Since again this is probably my final Smash, I can still hold out hope that I will be able to have more of the characters I want be able to battle it out in my favorite fighting game/party game. I can still hold out hope for Rowlet (love you, Mom!).

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991

Honestly, I doubt the legitimacy of this. As I said, it seems like one of those "too good to be true" scenarios.
Now that it's going out alot...I want to say something, about Sakurai.
If this leak is true/real, then I feel very bad for Sakurai, they were so close to pulling off new characters without being leaked.

I'm leaning toward the team real.
Doubtful that it's real, but in the offchance it is, I'd say any anger the community has towards the leaker as well as the eventual firing/lawsuit is well warrented.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay, now it's time for the real question: who is team real and who is team fake?
I'm team "I don't root for teams" but I'll treat it like it's fake until confirmed, while keeping the thought of it might be real in my mind.

Wishy-washy answer, I know, but I can't bring myself to think if it's one or another.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Melee only has 26 if you count Zelda and Sheik as separate. In this case, we'd be counting PT as one, to create the number 79. In this case, Melee would have 25 characters. If you count them as separate, then Melee would have 26, and Ultimate would have 81.

But in this case, the website counts PT as one, at least as far as the CSS count goes.
But it also counts PT as 3 for the numbering system.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord

It's not impossible for it to happen, besides that actually would be great if they wanted to go out with a bang! Confession, Mach Rider was actually my childhood most wanted in Melee days.

Last edited:

UpgradeX

Smash Cadet
It's really hard to ignore the fact that a guy is throwing his job away over this. That's why I think this might be legit. I agree the character count is beyond what I anticipated, but is that fact alone enough to invalidate the context behind this leak?
Throwing away your job for five minutes of fame is incredibly dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom