• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
To be fair if Sakurai wants Steve's original original appearance, Steve would be perfectly capable of flailing his arms around :troll:

He can also extend his arms outward as well as his legs (though not as much as his arms) while swimming in the most-recent update.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Okay look, it's not that I want or expect Steve to be in Smash. I just really hate it when people try to shut down a character because their moveset or movement wouldn't "make sense".

You know what this argument sounds like? Ridley size debates. People said that if he was resized it'd be too awkward, that he'd lose his character in the process, that it'd be unfeasible...but I always argued that the team behind Smash is creative enough that they could make it work if they really wanted to and that they're able to take creative liberties without losing the "feel" of the character in the process.

I think that, if he really wanted to, Sakurai could incorporate Steve into the game. And not only that, but he'd be a great fighter that captures the feel of Minecraft while also standing out on his own. The question isn't if it could happen, it's if it will.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Are people still arguing that Steve lacks moveset potential?
I already gave my reasons for that:

EDIT: When I hear people say they could make Steve an interesting character: "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Sakurai can make any character into a Smash character, as Game & Watch and Duck Hunt are examples of that. When I talk about moveset potential, I'm specifically referring to what they can do in game that would be interesting to see in a Smash moveset. There are dozens of characters who have better moveset potential before you get to Steve, and even then it would require a significant amount of changes. If you have to change too much, it was probably not a good character to begin with. Certain characters, like Duck Hunt, are the exception because of their history with Nintendo. I'm not saying Steve couldn't be an interesting character--there are just better characters with better moves to choose from.

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607
Sakurai once said he won't put in a fighter unless he can see them "dance" in his head. I can't imagine Sakurai could see Steve dancing.
Sakurai's gotta step up his game.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
They basically had to do the same for Mr. Game & Watch.
Yeah, but Mr. Game & Watch still has more expression and animations in his games then Steve..which is impressive. Steve, and all Minecraft avatars, have no expressions and two animations, walk and swing..not even a damage animation..as I said before, Steve would literally be boring to see if played true to his series, which would be likely considering how Sakurai tries to represent characters very closely to how they are represented in their home series.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why are people arguing whether they like the character or not? It's nonsensical. It's not like any kind of argument or fallacy is going to change someone's mind on a personal taste

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah, but Mr. Game & Watch still has more expression and animations in his games then Steve..which is impressive. Steve, and all Minecraft avatars, have no expressions and two animations, walk and swing..not even a damage animation..as I said before, Steve would literally be boring to see if played true to his series, which would be likely considering how Sakurai tries to represent characters very closely to how they are represented in their home series.
He also has a swimming animation (though recent), which is like real swimming (albeit still with stiff limbs, but they move outward at least).

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
The Ken leak seems like another ESRB leak situation to me, where people point out things that make it seem fake, when those things actually make it seem more credible.

I'm on team real.

Now is there a specific reason Steve is being talked about here?
Not sure. Think it's cause one of Vergs contacts says he might be in. I'm just waiting for Incineroar at this point. Can't wait to see what he looks like and plays like. Not sure if Skull Kid will happen so I guess I'll have to fight for him for DLC :)

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Not sure. Think it's cause one of Vergs contacts says he might be in. I'm just waiting for Incineroar at this point. Can't wait to see what he looks like and plays like. Not sure if Skull Kid will happen so I guess I'll have to fight for him for DLC :)
Actually no. Verge only said a Minecraft stage.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I think Steve as an AT makes much more sense. Building blocks and obstacles with his choppy movements sounds better to me and seems like a perfectly good way to represent Minecraft.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think Steve as an AT makes much more sense. Building blocks and obstacles with his choppy movements sounds better to me and seems like a perfectly good way to represent Minecraft.
Agreed along with a stage too to boot and maybe an Creeper assist trophy as well.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
I was fine with a Minecraft stage, I even kinda liked the idea. But Steve as a playable character?
No. Please just no.

And what's with some people getting on their high horse over this?
Acting "enlightened" and demeaning the people who would rather not have Steve in this game makes you look way more petty than the people that are overreacting.

Last edited:
Quick question:

We're still gonna be posting leaks here, right? I've been following this thread since the beginning, and while a leak thread is more the appropriate I still like following this thread for the conversations in-between. A dedicated leak thread won't be active enough for my blood, and I really dont want to ditch this thread.

Untouch

Smash Master
A creeper assist trophy would make way more sense, and honestly Creepers as characters are way more relevant than Steve ever was. There's a reason why the new 3DS is a Creeper and not Steve.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I would still love to see any of these alts (or inspired alts) get added:

Either these or the Hylian Hood addition to his red alt, which should have happened honestly.
Rex!Link would be sooo good. One of my favorite costumes (even if I can't use a shield with it because the helmet clips...) just because Xenoblade, in my Zelda?
I'd also love any of these:

(Already an alt color, but full costume would be hype)

...now I gotta play BotW again.

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607
Quick question:

We're still gonna be posting leaks here, right? I've been following this thread since the beginning, and while a leak thread is more the appropriate I still like following this thread for the conversations in-between. A dedicated leak thread won't be active enough for my blood, and I really dont want to ditch this thread.
While a leak thread is appreciated, I can't help but feel that the majority of people posting on this thread didn't mind leaks...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A creeper assist trophy would make way more sense, and honestly Creepers as characters are way more relevant than Steve ever was. There's a reason why the new 3DS is a Creeper and not Steve.
Steve can also simply be a stage character too like Captain Toad or Tails and Silver.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
I was fine with a Minecraft stage, I even kinda liked the idea. But Steve as a playable character?
No. Please just no.

And what's with some people getting on their high horse over this?
Acting "enlightened" and demeaning the people who would rather not have Steve in this game makes you look way more petty than the people that are overreacting.
Well said. The people who say we're being entitled or selfish saying we don't want Steve are the ones that come off in that position to me tbh

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
They could create new animations for Steve that fit within his stylistic limitations, imo. I could imagine him sweeping his arm in an arch over his head for an up tilt, for instance. ROB also has pretty stiff animations but they took creative liberties to make it work.
Dude.. im all for steve to get an animation overhaul, even on the main game... I think that what irks me more is the absolute lack of thrust in Sakurai's team thinking they will put a ****ty fighter in the roster.

The character needs an animation overhaul, while keeping some recognizable motions? why not? an image overhaul so it reacts better to teh shaders? go on.. is not like Official MC stuff keeps modyfing teh models to get better results on different shaders... Interesting moveset based on terraforming and placing blocks? absolutely.. literally minecraft is all about that, not necesarilly swinging swords...

Does the terraforming moveset doesnt work and is going to be a boring generic swordfighter? scrap him, make an amazing stage and bring the skin as a mii swordfighter costume. Is not like he will put something hideous on the game because the memes...

Imagine going back 4 years and telling yourself that people would be arguing over if Steve or Banjo-Kazooie would get in or not. It feels really surreal that this is just a normal thing like "oh yeah steve from minecraft might be in smash alright well whatever".
Uh... Steve from minecraft was a Valid newcomer 4 years back too... if anything Banjo chances have gone up.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Alright, I think I'm going to be starting that Pokemon Moon nuzloche of been talking about. I'm more of a Pokemon Sun guy myself but I own both copies (don't judge me, I got Moon used) so I may as well. I'd go with Ultra Sun but I'm still salty about how they rewrote Pokemon's best villain so Moon it is.

I'm going to be sticking with a Smash Bros theme this time, naming all my 'mons after characters after characters who appear in Smash in some form so I can keep post about it relevant to this thread. Anyone who dies will be cut in Smash 6.
Quick question:

If you want to talk about them in this thread, just remember use spoiler tags.
Does the terraforming moveset doesnt work and is going to be a boring generic swordfighter? scrap him, make an amazing stage and bring the skin as a mii swordfighter costume. Is not like he will put something hideous on the game because the memes...
People don't just want Steve because of memes, you know. People want him because they love Minecraft and want to see it represented.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Quick question:

I was under the impression the leak thread was for leaks, so people could have general discussion without being spoiled. Too many people were not using spoiler tags.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
At the least, this leak with Steve will tell speculators that the road to Banjo being in Smash isn't so straight-forward and easy. There are other choices from Microsoft that Sakurai could take if he was given the opportunity to put their characters in Smash. The more open the discussion gets and the more we stray away from the usual "Isaac, Banjo, Incineroar" predictions, the better I say.

Noipoi

Howdy!
At the least, this leak with Steve will tell speculators that the road to Banjo being in Smash isn't so straight-forward and easy. There are other choices from Microsoft that Sakurai could take if he was given the opportunity to put their characters in Smash. The more open the discussion gets and the more we stray away from the usual "Isaac, Banjo, Incineroar" predictions, the better I say.
Now we can move onto "Incineroar, Steve" predictions!

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Didnt the original poster of the Ken leak say that Phoenix Wright is coming?

Surprised we arent talking about that, especially with the Ace Attorney panel happening soon

Untouch

Smash Master

Surprised we arent talking about that, especially with the Ace Attorney panel happening soon
No, that was someone hijacking the Ken leak.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Ironic how Ryu was leaked and now Ken has been leaked lol

Street Fighter cant catch a break
Irony at it's finest, since Ryu was last leaked as DLC character back in Smash 4 due to screwup on nintendo's part, and now here we are with leak of ken being in super smash bros ultimate which is legit and real.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord

No proof it's the same guy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
...So, is it not so insane to suggest the possibility of Rash and Fulgore now?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Okay what is this leak about Ken and Steve? I've saw a photo of Ken, but not sure if that's the right one?

Jeez this is what I get for being away for awhile lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom