• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
People hate smash players enough as it is, to the point where i don't actually play other fighting games solely because i dont want to get into a community and then tell them i play smash as well, having the most hated video game by edgy teenagers in smash will just amplify that tenfold.
It's not a big deal.
I should know, I play and want Fire Emblem characters in every Smash.
I can't even profess my love for Lucario online because "ew fUrRieS anD furRy BAIT"

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
We've been used to that since Capcom stopped using sprites :drflip:
This is Nintendo/Namco though. If you are using SF4 Ken with his SFV hairstyle, how could you mess up this badly.

Also on Steve, not a point against him, but wouldn't Steve need to have alts of the other skins in Minecraft as well? And that that point, would it really be Steve since he is just a specific Skin?

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think Minecraft Story Mode steve is creepy as sin too, but a lot of people's arguments here are "Minecraft is played by kids and i hate kids these 12 year olds are cringy!!!" like getting mad at kids for playing video games doesn't make you look pathetic.

My main concern is the guys who hate minecraft getting on my *** for playing smash just because steve is there, which is less a problem with steve as it is the guys who hate minecraft
No people are mad because they know Steve was put in over characters like Tails, Banjo-Kazooie, and Rayman which people actually want.

monadoboy

Smash Lord

This is one of the better Links I have seen play in a while (definitely added to playlist). First z-drop edgeguard I've seen actually kill.]
I've always played Link, but he felt like he was lacking something. I might return to my 64 main after all these years depending if Shulk still sucks. Nice.

This was a treat too. Seeing Ridley die that early to Link's f-air however only got me thinking me thinking bad DI or unexpected weight.
And it keeps getting better. Nice.

volbound1700

Smash Master
i don't get why everyone assumes that steve isnt getting a smash facelift?

Yeah... simont model emulates perfectly the way Simon walk... but is not 2 friggin frames.

Sakurai managed to make Pacman both classic and interesting.. and managed to make duck hunt dog interesting...

Yeah, he can make him interesting.
How can you defend him over Banjo-Kazooie (who he would be replacing).

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
No people are mad because they know Steve was put in over characters like Tails, Banjo-Kazooie, and Rayman which people actually want.
Look man, I've been waiting for Banjo ever since I completed melee and wondered why game and watch was there but banjo wasn't, i've been waiting for rayman ever since they revealed snake for brawl. I've actively ranted on this thread before about how Bayonetta totally snubbed Rayman's spot. I know the pain, I just can't get too mad about it anymore.

If anything, we can start using steve as an excuse to talk as much about banjo for smash dlc as we can, if MS is already there, that's half the battle, right?

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
This would definitely be my pet (companion):

As long as Ganondorf stays away. :link:

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Thst Ken leak is rather good. The whole foot clipping is a nice touch. That Steve one on the other hand has a lot wrong with it. If these two are confirmed from the same person then I think they'll both have to be buried.

Besides if Steve did get in I imagine Sakurai would come up with a newer design for the character. I don't really see him getting in as that blurry face block character.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Look man, I've been waiting for Banjo ever since I completed melee and wondered why game and watch was there but banjo wasn't, i've been waiting for rayman ever since they revealed snake for brawl. I've actively ranted on this thread before about how Bayonetta totally snubbed Rayman's spot. I know the pain, I just can't get too mad about it anymore.

If anything, we can start using steve as an excuse to talk as much about banjo for smash dlc as we can, if MS is already there, that's half the battle, right?
Perhaps or do we get Masterchief instead.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
This is Nintendo/Namco though. If you are using SF4 Ken with his SFV hairstyle, how could you mess up this badly.

Also on Steve, not a point against him, but wouldn't Steve need to have alts of the other skins in Minecraft as well? And that that point, would it really be Steve since he is just a specific Skin?
As much as I (now in my head) **** on Steve, the only redeeming quality of having Steve in Smash is because you could get interesting skins of characters, both of Smash characters and those who aren't in, which would probably in some ways be more interesting than Mii Fighter costumes.

But as DLC, B&K's first in line :upsidedown:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I've expressed my reasons against Steve before. It has nothing to do with Minecraft as a game or the fanbase. Steve in generic as hell. I don't care about how unique he could be when the character itself is meant to be a blank slate of nothing. You can't convince me to be excited or happy about Steve. Trying to get me to be excited about a character based on play style alone won't do it. I like actual characters.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I've expressed my reasons against Steve. Before. It has nothing to do with Minecraft as a game or the fanbase. Steve in generic as hell. I don't care about how unique he could be when the character itself is meant to be a blank slate of nothing. You can't convince me to be excited or happy about Steve. Trying yo get me to be excited about a character based on play style alone won't do it. I like actual characters.
He is generic indeed. I mean what's so appealing about a normal looking guy all blocky? Soooo unique amIriteorwut!? :rolleyes:

What do people even see in that?

Sakurai is much smarter then this. He'd have to be aware more people wants Banjo then Steve.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

This was a treat too. Seeing Ridley die that early to Link's f-air however only got me thinking me thinking bad DI or unexpected weight.
Enjoyed the match, but was admittedly focused more on the background.

Never saw too much clear footage of Lylat Cruise, myself, but damn. That stage looks gorgeous. Glad it was visually upgraded along with Corneria and Venom.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
This would definitely be my pet (companion):

As long as Ganondorf stays away. :link:
Speaking of, Volvagia would be a neat boss in Smash. Kind off like Rayquaza, but more fireballs falling from the sky and majestic fire mane.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Enjoyed the match, but was admittedly focused more on the background.

Never saw too much clear footage of Lylat Cruise, myself, but damn. That stage looks gorgeous. Glad it was visually upgraded along with Corneria and Venom.
And no tilting makes it better for competitive play too! I'll look forward to Venom the most, since I never exactly played Melee, and Wolf still too.

Edit: Without hazards, of course.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Thst Ken leak is rather good. The whole foot clipping is a nice touch. That Steve one on the other hand has a lot wrong with it. If these two are confirmed from the same person then I think they'll both have to be buried.

Besides if Steve did get in I imagine Sakurai would come up with a newer design for the character. I don't really see him getting in as that blurry face block character.
I think Steve is from a different person.

However, the link to the leak was never given :I

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
He is generic indeed. I mean what's so appealing about a normal looking guy all blocky? Soooo unique amIriteorwut!? :rolleyes:

What do people even see in that?

Sakurai is much smarter then this. He'd have to be aware more people wants Banjo then Steve.
Maybe for the hardcore fandom, but I'd wager more kids know and care about Minecraft more than Banjo unfortunately.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Speaking of, Volvagia would be a neat boss in Smash. Kind off like Rayquaza, but more fireballs falling from the sky and majestic fire mane.
Don't forget the most important part where he borrows through lava tunnels.

Nothing like a good ol' game of Wack-a-Dragon to pass the time, amiright?

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
If Steve is in, I really hope he uses more than just a sword. I feel it would be wasted potential to make him primarily a sword fighter, honestly.

Go like Villager and use as much stuff from MC as possible. Give me pistons, Elytra, blocks and TNT as parts of his moveset.

Minecraft is a game about manipulating the world, so I feel he would work best as a stage control character. You could have obstacle blocks opponents could break, or pressure plate traps that function like Snake's old landmine. So much potential.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

It looks more like SF3 Ken however, it's kinda weird.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Minecraft is a game about manipulating the world, so I feel he would work best as a stage control character. You could have obstacle blocks opponents could break, or pressure plate traps that function like Snake's old landmine. So much potential.
Hope your right on that. Steve if he is to appear should just be a stage character or assist trophy.

Another reason I'm convinced he's not in is because I'd imagine it being really hard to animate him with Smash's graphics.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
As much as I (now in my head) **** on Steve, the only redeeming quality of having Steve in Smash is because you could get interesting skins of characters, both of Smash characters and those who aren't in, which would probably in some ways be more interesting than Mii Fighter costumes.

But as DLC, B&K's first in line :upsidedown:
That's the other thing, you don't need Steve for that. You could have Minecraft Mario or Jesse from Minecraft Stories and nothing that big would change.

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607
I actually wouldn't mind Steve as a playable fighter at all.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't get these Steve arguments.

"He's not unique"

Being the only blockhead in the game isn't unique...? What about Mr. Stick Figure?

"He's not an icon"

He's been around since 2009, Minecraft's developers always releasing updates, and recently still get's updates at least one-to-two times a year. Not to mention, nearly everyone knows who Steve is in relation to Minecraft, and Minecraft itself, while most love the game. To combine this and the previous argument, same can be said for Villager / Animal Crossing Guy. Yes, Steve is third-party, but it just shows that if Sakurai wants a playable rep for these sorts of games, he'll choose the player character.

"No association with Nintendo"

Granted, his first appearance on a Nintendo system was in 2015, but he still made his way to the 3DS and Switch, and Nintendo seems to love Minecraft, while also giving it its very own Creeper-themed 2DS.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

"He's not unique"

Being the only blockhead in the game isn't unique...? What about Mr. Stick Figure?
At the same time though he looks like an average guy but blocky. I don't get what's so appealing of that.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

"He's not unique"

"He's not an icon"

He's been around since 2009, Minecraft's developers always releasing updates, and recently still get's updates at least one-to-two times a year. Not to mention, nearly everyone knows who Steve is in relation to Minecraft, and Minecraft itself, while most love the game.

"No association with Nintendo"

Granted, his first appearance on a Nintendo system was in 2015, but he still made his way to the 3DS and Switch, and Nintendo seems to love Minecraft, while also giving it its very own Creeper-themed 2DS.
I don't know what you're seeing but my arguments against Steve are none of those.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Steve would totally stand out from the current roster in the same way that Mr.Game&Watch does. His movement and artstyle would be janky in a way that matches no one else in the game. For that alone he'd be a unique fighter.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
At the same time though he looks like an average guy but blocky. I don't get what's so appealing of that.
I wouldn't consider his appearance a defining trait that makes him appealing. It's largely irrelevant to why people would want him.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still don't see how they can animate Steve with these graphics. That's the most difficult thing of seeing him being a playable character.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
One thing on my mind since smash 4. Was the palutena screenshot leak real?
No. There was a Mario star symbol on her jewelry that’s not in the final version.

Plus, I think after Palutena was confirmed, the leaker came out and said it was fake and showed the assets.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't know what you're seeing but my arguments against Steve are none of those.
I'm seeing these sorts of arguments from others.

There's also the stiff-animation and "ugly" arguments, which could be alleviated by letting his limbs move in more directions and using the official art design. It wouldn't be the first time his arms extended outwards or flailed around in official content.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom