• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
He didn't. He said he's looking into the box theory and that's it. He still has some faith in his Square Rep.

Don't spread misinformation.
Thanks, I was thinking vegeben got a new statement about that.

So the other guy was just spreading wrong stuff.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
God people are still hoping for Waluigi...Give it up already! He's an assist trophy deal with it! :facepalm:
Wanting, not hoping.

Nobody thinks he’ll be in the game, but there are still tons of people who want him.

All I’m saying is there’s a high chance Nintendo will notice this, and may act on it for DLC.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
After the whole drama Bayonetta started, do you guys really think they'd add a character that she's an expy of?

This is a serious question.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Even if Ken and Incineroar are the last two characters, I'm more than happy with this roster.
I seriously doubt that they're the only two left though. While I think they're both incredibly likely, I can't see them only having one newcomer and one echo left to get us through the next 3 months.

This dude may have legitimate information, but he doesn't know everything.

Potato_

Smash Lord
So I just woke up, saw ol Verge's comment over on GameFAQS.

From what I understand, the only new evidence we have is that Incineroar is 100% the pokemon, and that he seems to be hinting at DLC. Whether he actually has info that leads him to believe in DLC or it's just his intuition telling him so is unclear.

Nowhere in his post did he confirm Ken and Incineroar are the last two characters. He said he's asking his sources about Box theory and that none of them can say for sure whether or not that's it. Essentially, we're still playing the waiting game for both CoroCoro and his sources.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
After the whole drama Bayonetta started, do you guys really think they'd add a character that she's an expy of?

Yeah I do, we still don't know how she's balanced in smash ultimate to be fair. I can think of a few ways to make her bottom tier

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not even close to being a popular opinion, but I'm kinda hoping DLC puts an emphasis on newer and upcoming characters instead of fan favorites or third-parties. Smash 4 burnt me out on third-party characters, and I'm content with Ridley and K. Rool.

I think a combination of Spring Man, Rex/Pyra, a Champion, Octoling as an Echo, a Gen VIII Pokemon, Sylux, and a Three Houses rep (don't want another FE rep, but I'm willing to compromise) would be my dream lineup of DLC characters.

Last edited:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Is there like... some stigma against Dante or something? Why would there be some negative reaction to him if he was in?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
All I’m saying is there’s a high chance Nintendo will notice this, and may act on it for DLC.
It ain't happening. He's already shown as an assist trophy and he's staying that way. Game is also too late in development to change anything at this point.

Jesus Christ I don't even see people this desperate or in denial for freakin Shovel Knight...:glare:

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
They just did the ballot, why the heck they would notice Waluigi has a fanbase only now?
What?
They've known he had a fanbase back in 2014. Remember? "No matter how hard you try" and so on.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Wanting, not hoping.

Nobody thinks he’ll be in the game, but there are still tons of people who want him.

They won't because they already made their decision.
The character selection process is likely very difficult. Tough decisions need to be made.
They actively decided to make characters like Ashley and Waluigi assist trophies instead of playable characters. That was their decision and I think its incredibly entitled and childish to try to change their minds.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Bayonetta's drama was "She's busted and needs to be nerfed" which Dante wouldn't automatically mean he'd inherit alongside "WAAAAAH THAT'S NOT THE CHARACTER I WANTED" which will ALWAYS happen

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
They won't because they already made their decision.
The character selection process is likely very difficult. Tough decisions need to be made.
They actively decided to make characters like Ashley and Waluigi assist trophies instead of playable characters. That was their decision and I think its incredibly entitled and childish to try to change their minds.
This. So much of this.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So, how do you feel about DLC? Will be for free as in Mario Tennis? Will cost money? Cheaper or more expensive than in WiiU? Echoes allowed? When it will start? Is everything decided by now? How long would be the time window?
Gotta say, about it, the theories about Smashdown are hot crap with DLC, just add one more fighter and using every character till the end will be imposible.
And about Ken and Incineroar becoming the last fighters... Something bugs me about it. No retro or strange choice or a new Namco rep. After a DK newcomer I would bet money on this.
Gonna repeat myself a little here but it will either be free or be a Season Pass. Nintendo has made all of their multiplayer games have free DLC: Splatoon, ARMS and Mario Tennis Aces. The only reason I see it not happening is Bandai Namco is making it and not Nintendo. They've done Season Passes for their games and they still have to get paid for their work. I could see it going either way but I think it is more likely to be free given 1)Nintendo has made their other games free 2)They have seen results with this for Splatoon 2 and 3)Nintendo is going to use Smash to push online.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
"I really would like to say who the random person said the Square Enix character is. but if it isn't them, I have to deal with a whole other slew of hatred and harassment from people even though I am outright saying I've contacted my people to see if there is anything to what that person is claiming."
Source.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Is there like... some stigma against Dante or something? Why would there be some negative reaction to him if he was in?
If he gets in over fan favourites Geno and Skull Kid people won't be happy apparently.

Idk I just feel Dante doesn't suit smash tbh would be way too op with all those crazy moves of his.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Because they did have many options for how to display the roster (which everyone agrees was not made for the box). This is the logical way to do it:

Instead of putting them in batches of six, to fit the box, they put them in batches of nine, which means there are jumps in characters going out of numbered order (on the box itself, not in the arbitrary pattern). Zelda comes after Sheik in numbered order, not Roy. Likewise, Palutena comes after Mii Fighters, not Corrin. It means, if I'm looking on the box, Roy is right after Sheik, which is out of order. I know the "pattern", but it doesn't make sense to put it that way on the box itself, this is. This tells me this is a placeholder image, not the final way the characters will be displayed. As such, it doesn't imply what characters are in, what characters aren't, the total number, etc. It's a placeholder. Subject to change.

I get that it's difficult to keep track of everything, as I'm having trouble myself. But I think my point is simple--if they're in ordered number on the box, it should be displayed as such, not inferred from some arbitrary "pattern" the designers of the box chose.

EDIT:

So you can see the subtle, but head-scratching, difference:

This is something that has been covered, and yes, it could work the normal way anyway. By normal I mean, organized by number.

However, if the box art was going to change drastically, why wouldn't they just design it in-order anyway? Why separate them into groups of 9 in the first place if they were only going to use it as a placeholder? Why create a random pattern that they weren't going to use anyway?

This is why, to me, there's more to this box art then is being let on. The fact that it's broken up into groups of 9 still implies that Ken, or some other character that would be between Palutena and Cloud is present. There could be some sort of explanation that we simply don't know, but all things considered I have the feeling there's a reason for the design to be the way that we've seen it.

It's a placeholder image, yes. But why create a fake placeholder that specifically includes two blank spaces? If you're trying to especially conceal information, why leave any blanks? Why not have a full side, in order from Mario to Snake, on the visible side of the placeholder image?

These are a ton of what-ifs, and we could throw them around all day. The only thing is that the "groups of 9", Verg, and even the website make sense if placed together.

That's pretty much all we have aside from hypotheticals at this point.

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
Cuz people prefer a sidekick charater from a 25 years old game.
Just because Sakurai said ONCE that he is one of the characters that he wanted in the roster but never included.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Okay, some of you answered the first question and the responses have been pretty reasonable, now for the second question.

Why Dante as a third-party character?

Just curious.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Vergeben said we get Incineroar and Ken at the very least. This means there still could be more. He didn’t confirm the box theory nor did he deny it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Not even close to being a popular opinion, but I'm kinda hoping DLC puts an emphasis on newer and upcoming characters instead of fan favorites or third-parties. Smash 4 burnt me out on third-party characters, and I'm content with Ridley and K. Rool.

I think a combination of Spring Man, Rex/Pyra, a Champion, Octoling as an Echo, a Gen VIII Pokemon, Sylux, and a Three Houses rep (don't want another FE rep, but I'm willing to compromise) would be my dream lineup of DLC characters.
Ehhhhhh it depends how far Prime 4 is in development really, because Sylux is confirmed to appear in it and would likely get a more fleshed out boss fight than Hunters
There's no stigma, just babies whining about how Dante wouldn't be *insert character said baby wants*

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Unless he's said more, he only said Ken and Incineroar at least should be left.

He doesn't know anything beyond that.
Yup, and additionally he never knew about K. Rool or nearly any of the echoes.

Vergeben doesn't have everything, and that's great.

osby

Smash Obsessed
What?
They've known he had a fanbase back in 2014. Remember? "No matter how hard you try" and so on.
So it means Sakurai looked at Waluigi and said "nah" with knowing he'll get backslash. He did it twice before, why this time would be any different?

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
Is it weird that I'm far more interested in the potential for 5 new stages than a couple more characters? I love all these old stages back, but I want more fresh stages. We know for a fact we're getting at least a couple more characters, so I think pre-DLC we are looking great character wise, with chances for others over time. I can only hope CoroCoro is right (wouldn't make sense to have that many blanks on the SSC)

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I think it's important to keep in mind that with the knowledge of DLC, no base-game fighter is capable of "stealing" a slot. Dante making it doesn't actually hurt your dreams.

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Box art theory? Don't really buy it tbh but possible. I'm going to say it's a conspiracy tier but a good conspiracy that may or may not be true like the Apple battery one which ended up being true.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Idk I just feel Dante doesn't suit smash tbh
Aren't you the guy who wants a call of duty character to get in
Not trying to sound like a jerk, I'm just saying I don't think Dante fits any less than a cod character.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Box art theory? Don't really buy it tbh but possible. I'm going to say it's a conspiracy tier but a good conspiracy that may or may not be true like the Apple battery one which ended up being true.
Please lets not have anymore box talk like haven't we already dragged that on long enough?

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Okay, some of you answered the first question and the responses have been pretty reasonable, now for the second question.

Why Dante as a third-party character?

Just curious.
As genres go he is the progenitor of the hack & slash combo style of games, successors or other notable names in the genre would be Kratos and Bayo.

Bayo and Dante were made by the same person who of which seems to have a personal relationship with Sakurai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom